PDA

View Full Version : Tipitent

BIGHUNTERFISH
03-03-2007, 09:57 PM
I just came back from the Abbotsford show and I was looking at a Tipitent,a teepee shaped waterproof tent.I was wondering if any of you guys have any knowledge or experience with this tent.I was quite impressed with the tent but would like to get some more advice before I buy one.Thanks in advance.:|

Gateholio
03-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Saw them last year, and I thougth they were cool, but that's my entire experience wih tthem!:lol:

Bones
03-03-2007, 10:16 PM
I have the larger model [outfitter I think they call it].Only complaint is you need a lot of stove pipe if you use a wood stove.I have not tryed a open fire yet.

youngfellla
03-03-2007, 11:25 PM
I stayed in one for a week elk hunting in the pouring rain. I stayed warm & dry so I guess it worked.8-)

Will
03-03-2007, 11:36 PM
I still wake up in a TipiTent every morning............:lol:
:?

Caveman
03-03-2007, 11:40 PM
I still wake up in a TipiTent every morning............

Only problem is it's only a one man tipitent and you're all alone :lol: :lol: Couldn't help myself Rick!

Will
03-04-2007, 12:00 AM
and you're all alone :lol: :lol:
Yep the wife knows when she feels a draft it's time to get up...........:lol:

Sasquatch
03-04-2007, 01:12 AM
I saw the tipi at the show today and am considering buying one. Standing head room, lots of space, relatively easy to set up and rolls up into a small pack for storage.
I'm not sure I'd use the same stove he had though, I think they have more portable ones around.

mark
03-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Guys I hunt with up north, use a homemade version, built with 2x2's and tarps. Rolls up, and sets up easy, They swear by it!

Dirty
03-04-2007, 09:40 AM
how much were they asking for them at the show ?

BIGHUNTERFISH
03-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Hi Dirty,
The guy offered me the large tent the ''Out fitter'' for 800 taxes included non show price would be 899 plus tax/shipping.The setup is simple and the waterproofing is suppose to be the best around.
specs
total weight including tentpole and tent pegs :14 kg (30lbs)
packing size 100cm x 25 cm
floor area 25 sq metres (269 sq ft)
tent pole height 350 cm (11'5")
tent pole weight 2 kg (5lbs)
:lol:

Dirty
03-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Looks Sweet! Not that bad of a price when you consider what some wall tents go for.

BIGHUNTERFISH
03-04-2007, 09:59 AM
For more info
www.tipitent.com (http://www.tipitent.com)
8-)

johnes50
03-04-2007, 11:33 AM
I think I would go with a wall tent that covers the same ground area. More head room near tyhe walls and more room to hang gear. I think he's overly optimistic in the number of people he can sleep in his tents by about X2.

Sasquatch
03-04-2007, 03:24 PM
It would be pretty tight in there with more than 4 and even then it would be cozy. I thought the larger one would be very comfortable for 2 people, which is the max I ever have anyway. Most of the time, it's just me and my dog. For one person, I think the set up of the tipi would be easier than a wall tent.

Will
03-04-2007, 03:32 PM
I think I would go with a wall tent that covers the same ground area. More head room near tyhe walls and more room to hang gear. I think he's overly optimistic in the number of people he can sleep in his tents by about X2.
I agree, only way to get the numbers in there they claim would be doubled up "Brokeback" style....:???:

I dunno know about the "open fire" in the middle either........at least not if Dana's tending to it ! :lol:

Actually though they do look interesting...but given the weights you mentioned it's not something you'd be backpacking anywhere I'd go with a Walltent, far more Practical.

dime
03-04-2007, 04:33 PM
I saw them at the show and thought the looked OK. One drawback is they are not breathable like a canvas wall tent. I imagine condensation could be an issue. I asked one of the reps there and they said no problem, it just drips down the side anyway, and when you have the woodstove going, it takes all the moisture out in no time. I guess as long as you don't store any gear near the wall, no problem.

Seems like a lot of money for a nylon tent though.

BIGHUNTERFISH
03-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Well I went back today and bought the Outfitter Tipitent and the guy gave me a really good deal.Ill keep you guys updated after I try it out. And Rick just make sure your guy lines are secure on your 5'' version of the Tipitent.:lol:

Will
03-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Well I went back today and bought the Outfitter Tipitent and the guy gave me a really good deal.Ill keep you guys updated after I try it out. And Rick just make sure your guy lines are secure on your 5'' version of the Tipitent.:lol:
Well Congrats..they do look interesting...definately give a Field report when you try it out 8)

5" Version ???......Maybe if it's doubled over in the wind http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/Smilies/onCrack.gif
:lol:

bogie
03-04-2007, 10:38 PM
I bought one just after last years show. Have been in it at least 3 times-once for 2 weeks. Sets up in 10min and then some adjustment. High winds and downpour no problem. Room for 3 big guys and cots and stove and lots of gear. Bought a stove at the show today-Little Hot Shot. My hunting buddies are in love. Warm and dry works for me-no more canvas. Much heavier material than all the rest of the tents we could find on the net. The price is hard to beat too especially compared to a canvas wall tent.They come with 2 caps-one mesh and one solid. Condensation is an issue if you do not open up the top as in any nylon tent-at least this one has an adjustable vent. Sleeps 4 with cots no problem.

7mmWSM
03-04-2007, 10:55 PM
We have used a teepee for years that we made ourselves, could sleep 4-5 guys in it. It probably cost 100$ to build, and takes 5 minutes to set up. Stove works great inside, and they are bombproof for rain. Drawback is they are very long, and they need a very flat site to set up right. We also built these things for a wilderness kids camp that we run, and the kids love em.

Clint_S
03-28-2007, 08:50 AM
It probably cost 100$ to build
More info please.

ruger#1
03-28-2007, 10:19 AM
A couple of guys use them up in Clinton , these are the home made version. they had 20 foot poles and there was alot of room to move.

Thunderstix
05-04-2007, 04:12 PM
I just got my Outfitter Tipi Tent from the Greyhound yesterday. It was 899.00 plus tax but Alpine paid the shipping which I thought was pretty cool. I will set it up and take some pics next week so you can get a feel for how big they are etc.

mapguy
05-05-2007, 07:11 AM
don't know how good they would be in problem grizz ares

shrek
06-02-2007, 06:18 PM
I picked one up at the show also. I have used it for a week and it preformed great. I was going to get the Cabelas pole style tent. As it has a little more room. The only flaw I found in it is they could of put a different material at the top. As mine melted a little bit due to a hot fire in the stove. It stould up well in a wind storm that went threw Quesnel while I was on Dragon lake http://gallery.flybc.ca/PK/Dragon_Lake_004

BlacktailStalker
06-02-2007, 06:38 PM
If you were in the market for a tent I woulda bought it at that price. Heck you coulda sold it and made $ off it. My wall tent was $2100 and that was even getting the frame poles for a flat of beer :)

Cappy
06-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Just waiting for mine to come in. Big draw for me is I work shift work and usually get into camp a few days before my buddies who work the Mon-Fri routine. That means I set up camp on my own setting up the tipi is a lot easier than finding poles for the wall tent and getting it set up on my own. Should arrive this week and will be getting used alot this summer/fall, so I'll have some field reviews as well.

OceanMon
08-31-2017, 12:00 AM
How have the outfitter tipi tents been working out for you guys over the years? Any issues with stoves burning the tent?

wideopenthrottle
08-31-2017, 06:56 AM
Guys I hunt with up north, use a homemade version, built with 2x2's and tarps. Rolls up, and sets up easy, They swear by it!

same with the guys I hunt with...awesome shelter and pretty easy to set up....only drawback is that it does not fold up very small and usually sits on top of the camper where branches can do some damage

Ruffed
03-17-2018, 11:37 PM
Does anybody have any more experience with these TipiTents? The good and the bad......

browningboy
03-18-2018, 07:38 AM
A lot of cool guys when I looked through this thread, been years since I seen those names! Good luck on your tent

dana
03-18-2018, 08:08 AM
I don't have much experience with the big basecamp style tipis but I do have a Kifaru 6 man tipi for backpacking. I've had it for 10 years now. I love it.

eric
03-18-2018, 08:33 AM
Have a 12 man from Kifaru, awesome for river boating, or truck camping, also have the large stove.
Had this one for 15 yrs now,have had to sew up the screen on the doors in a few places, no big deal, also found out that june bugs like to chew holes in the fabric,,FU@#ers
Only drawback is the condensation, but you will get that with most of these style of tents.
Sure are nice when the stove is going.
Going to try and make a smaller one.
Lots of good info on utube,on making one.

Camomutt
03-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Ruffed, I have one I'm looking to offload if your looking to buy

MOOSE MILK
03-18-2018, 10:40 PM
I have one for sale CHEAP!
Hell of a long stove pipe, sparks still rained down and put a bunch of tiny holes in that nylon/polyester whatever type fabric. Looks like your seeing stars when sleeping inside. The small holes don't seem to let the water in though and we were in a monsone (hell of a rain storm).
It is the large one, lots of room for 4 guys and all their gear.
All those little holes could be easily patched up. Only used it for one week, going to go with a wall tent.

xfactor
03-19-2018, 09:52 AM
I have one for sale CHEAP!
Hell of a long stove pipe, sparks still rained down and put a bunch of tiny holes in that nylon/polyester whatever type fabric. Looks like your seeing stars when sleeping inside. The small holes don't seem to let the water in though and we were in a monsone (hell of a rain storm).
It is the large one, lots of room for 4 guys and all their gear.
All those little holes could be easily patched up. Only used it for one week, going to go with a wall tent.

what tipi is it and what is included and how much?

xfactor
03-19-2018, 09:53 AM
Ruffed, I have one I'm looking to offload if your looking to buy

details and price please?

thanks!!

MOOSE MILK
03-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Some pros and cons of the Tipi Tent:

Cons: The long stove pipe required.
No windows, dark during the day.
Lots of ropes, lots of tangles.
Requires many tent pegs.
Door is a little awkward getting in and out.
Material is not flame ******ant, easily ripped.

Pros: lightweight.
Only one pole.
Can have open fire.
One person can set up.
Cost less than wall tent.

Improvements: Chimney hole in side of Tipi eliminating 20 feet of chimney.
Windows, for daytime light and hot weather comfort.
Door with "L" shaped zipper so can open wider for easier access.
Vestibule over door to keep rain/snow from falling in open door.

A real Tipi has the disadvantage of having to carry all the long 20 to 30 foot poles, but once up a liner can be tied to the inside of the poles which creates an upward draft as it goes all the way to the ground and the outside skin stays a couple of inches off the ground, allowing air to circulate up wards drawing out the smoke from an open fire.

A wall tent has easier access and usually a covered porch entrance area. More usable footprint area, walls are straight up so can sit close to wall, slanted wall of Tipi forces you to sit further in towards center.
"BAKER" tent (my favorite) has one wall that can be totally opened up so you only have walls on three sides allowing you to be under shelter with the fire going and still be able to feel like your outside. Come night the two flaps close in to create a wall tent environment. Better Bakers also have an awning that can also be dropped down.

Ruffed
03-19-2018, 10:59 AM
MooseMilk, you have to clear some space so that you can receive messages....Call me...thanks...