PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Fly-In Hunt

hunter fisher
07-17-2014, 04:58 PM
so a retired buddy of mine offered to fly me and a friend on his float plane for a hunt. he flys out of langley, and his fuel-range is 4 hours (2hours in, 2hours out)

the only fly in hunts I've really heard of before leave from a lot further north.

can i take advantage of this and shoot a nice animal? i don't really know what there is to hunt in that range. the other guy who would be going with me mentioned that there are some outfitters who do goat hunts out of knight inlet, but the mountains around knight inlet are pretty vast and we aren't really sure where to start.

our pilot said the only condition is that we need confirmation that the lake can be landed on, so basically he justs wants confirmation that its been done by someone else before.

any input would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone has been flown in around that area, and remember what lake they landed on, that would be very helpful

thanks in advance for the tips boys!

dakoda62
07-17-2014, 05:23 PM
I think a 2 hr range might put you into the Chilcotin country draw back LEH only for the most part. Dont know if you could make it to the Kootenay,s without a fuel stop.

albravo2
07-17-2014, 05:57 PM
Somewhere on the island behind all the gates?

I hope you take advantage of the offer. I plan on accessing hunting terrain by plane one day.

Ask him the cruise speed of the plane and you'll be able to calculate range in miles then draw a big circle on the map. Depending where you fly refuelling might also be an option.

Keep in mind the size of the plane and the size of load it can haul out.

Let us know what you decide.

hunter fisher
07-17-2014, 06:20 PM
I think right now we are really considering the 1-14 and 1-15 GOS for goat... And now unless a better hunt idea comes along, it's more about getting info for the area

pilot said it's about 1 1/2 hours to region 1-15, so it's comfortably within his range. Definetly a fly in area only so I don't think there's much pressure, just gotta get an idea where to land and where to go from there

Brew
07-17-2014, 08:28 PM
You could do a coastal goat hunt for sure in region 2. Open season of course if you wanted to go this year

Sitkaspruce
07-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Goats in Knights and Wakeman are tough, very tough. Most are either off the ocean or way back, in the old regen, where no roads can access them. There is a few alpine lakes that can get you into some nice country, but the goats are far and in between in those areas.

If you have some good boot leather, I would think about heading into Seymour Inlet in Mid Nov and hunt the old camps for some pretty big blacktails. Can tie up at the old wharfs, camp on the beach and do some hikes off the beach. (Not sure if you can get a bike or two in the plane, but if you can, do it.)

Good luck on your hunt

Cheers

SS

directmule
07-17-2014, 08:51 PM
so a retired buddy of mine offered to fly me and a friend on his float plane for a hunt. he flys out of langley, and his fuel-range is 4 hours (2hours in, 2hours out) the only fly in hunts I've really heard of before leave from a lot further north.

Question #1 What is the type/size of plane you're flying in?

Question #2 At what elevation are you landing at?

Question #3 Is this a float or wheel plane? (but then I see you ask "remember what lake they landed on"

Question #4 How long are you going for?

Question #5 What is the max weight for this aircraft?

Question #6 You say "our pilot said the only condition is that we need confirmation that the lake can be landed on, so basically he justs wants confirmation that its been done by someone else before."

No more questions................I myself would look for another pilot.

noahs ark
07-18-2014, 04:26 AM

Question #3 Is this a float or wheel plane? (but then I see you ask "remember what lake they landed on"

Question #6 You say "our pilot said the only condition is that we need confirmation that the lake can be landed on, so basically he justs wants confirmation that its been done by someone else before."

Not sure how any of your questions would sway you to find another pilot? Except for maybe #6.
Read the OP post again it's a friend and he's giving them a free ride. It doesn't get better then that.

257stew
07-18-2014, 06:22 AM

Do not understand why the pilot is getting flak. Do you really think every pilot knows every lake in B.C.?? Better to ask then fly there and have him say " that lake is a no go". That would be a waste of every ones time and money. Confirmation is easy these days thanks to goggle earth. Sounds like he is leaving it up to the passenger to do this leg work.
Asking this now may actually make him a good pilot.

Cheers 257Stew

Andrewh
07-18-2014, 09:29 AM
I have a lake in prime GOS sheep area within 2 hrs, I just need to come with;)

6pt_elk_wannabe
07-18-2014, 10:08 AM
For next year there's the 3-46 leh for moose, guaranteed tags and apparently the hunting isn't that bad

BCrams
07-18-2014, 10:10 AM
More importantly -

How many hours does this person have on floats / mountain flying. What hours does he put in per year / season.

monasheemountainman
07-18-2014, 10:20 AM
so a retired buddy of mine offered to fly me and a friend on his float plane for a hunt. he flys out of langley, and his fuel-range is 4 hours (2hours in, 2hours out)

the only fly in hunts I've really heard of before leave from a lot further north.

can i take advantage of this and shoot a nice animal? i don't really know what there is to hunt in that range. the other guy who would be going with me mentioned that there are some outfitters who do goat hunts out of knight inlet, but the mountains around knight inlet are pretty vast and we aren't really sure where to start.

our pilot said the only condition is that we need confirmation that the lake can be landed on, so basically he justs wants confirmation that its been done by someone else before.

any input would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone has been flown in around that area, and remember what lake they landed on, that would be very helpful

thanks in advance for the tips boys!

You won't get many prime fly in spots handed to you in an open forum. You will get some bullshit off topic non sense about whether or not your buddy should have his pilots license. And to be fair if I put in a lot of hard work to find a nice fly in spot I wouldn't be posting it either. You have a nice buddy that is doing a really cool thing for you. If I were you I'd be calling up fish and wildlife offices, charter flight companies, and whoever else I can think of that may be able to help you out. No matter what you will have an awesome trip!

Brew
07-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Too bad this thread can't stay on track. I bet there are a few great fly in spots to go to. Blacktails in November would be great. Lots of the inlets I go to for work have absolute cranker bucks all over but I'm never there for the hunting season. Google earth will be your friend for sure. Look for some lakes big enough to take off from and research from there. I still think goats would be good. I've been spotting some nice goats already this summer in region 2 in an open area but no lakes around. I think there is a lake in region two called phantom lake I believe and looks like good goat country surrounding it. Try clowhom as well. Good luck on your adventure

hunter fisher
07-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Too bad this thread can't stay on track. I bet there are a few great fly in spots to go to. Blacktails in November would be great. Lots of the inlets I go to for work have absolute cranker bucks all over but I'm never there for the hunting season. Google earth will be your friend for sure. Look for some lakes big enough to take off from and research from there. I still think goats would be good. I've been spotting some nice goats already this summer in region 2 in an open area but no lakes around. I think there is a lake in region two called phantom lake I believe and looks like good goat country surrounding it. Try clowhom as well. Good luck on your adventure

funny how that happens eh!? I'm not worried about the pilots credibility, he's got 1000s of hours under his belt, just hasn't been to the area we are looking at.

I've been google earthing hard, and as sitka said earlier, theres lots of good long lakes in the wakeman/knight area. the outfitter i was looking at said they do fly in hunts with really high success rates, so i know goats are around there, just a matter of locating a lake in goat area. i wasn't thinking about there being many black tails, but now that i know they are there i will give that a good look too.

thanks for your input!

bandit
07-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Somewhere on the island behind all the gates?

My buddy used to work for island timbers and tells me none of the loggers from the island bothered hunting behind the gates for small deer. Like us lower mainlanders they tended to head north for a week or two, only difference being a $200 round trip on the ferry :)

rene m
07-18-2014, 05:05 PM
yeah,
cling to that