PDA

View Full Version : Grizz/Bison gun?

hunter fisher
07-16-2014, 02:09 PM
I need one more gun to make my arsenal complete. i feel like I'm underpowered for animals like grizz and bison(if i ever get a god damn draw!!) . my 300wm makes nice work of moose and elk. what do you guys use for a larger animal? 375? 40 cal? i know these guns aren't a 270wsm or anything, but do they shoot relatively flat?
thanks for your input

moosinaround
07-16-2014, 02:20 PM
375h&h!! Nuff said!! Moosin

Darksith
07-16-2014, 02:22 PM
You aren't underpowered one bit...but if you need a new toy, Moosin has it right.

Kudu
07-16-2014, 02:23 PM
9.3x62 - more gun than you will ever need in North America!

hunter fisher
07-16-2014, 02:30 PM
I've seen some grizz swallow a lot of lead and not slow down. its just like your girlfriends tits, better one size too big then one size too small!!

mudbud
07-16-2014, 02:41 PM
Going to use a 45-70 on my Bison this year, 405gr hard cast should make a big hole! Last year I used a 338 win mag with 210 gr Barnes - worked well!

Darksith
07-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Going to use a 45-70 on my Bison this year, 405gr hard cast should make a big hole! Last year I used a 338 win mag with 210 gr Barnes - worked well!
2 bison draws...you lucky *******

walks with deer
07-16-2014, 02:42 PM
I love my 458 win mag

Custom handloads shoots 300yds no problem.
Majour energy

07-16-2014, 02:43 PM

Can we use hard cast or other solid bullets in BC??

07-16-2014, 02:45 PM
.375 Ruger Alaskan.....
i want one too... To me that rifle is exactly what you are looking for..... A 200 yard war hammer that is packable in any country BC can toss at you

mudbud
07-16-2014, 02:53 PM
2 bison draws...you lucky *******

15 years to get the first one - was lucky enough to draw in a group this time

hunter fisher
07-16-2014, 02:56 PM
375h&h!! Nuff said!! Moosin

moosin you might not know this but you led me to my first moose!! (had my user name changed so you might not recognize it)

i like the 375, lots of guys have recommended it to me already, i think its a pretty solid choice!!

riflebuilder
07-16-2014, 03:55 PM
I have a 375 H&H, 340 Wby, 325 WSM, 416 Rem all good for what you are wanting. My favorite is the 340 Wby then the 375 H&H. Anything over a 338 Win is going to be enough for any thing you will hunt here in BC. If you are planning to someday go to Africa get the 375 H&H.

REMINGTON JIM
07-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Remy M700 XCR 11 in 375 H&H with 300 gr Nosler Accubonds or Swift A Frames ! JMO RJ

moosinaround
07-16-2014, 03:59 PM
moosin you might not know this but you led me to my first moose!! (had my user name changed so you might not recognize it)

i like the 375, lots of guys have recommended it to me already, i think its a pretty solid choice!!

well I sure like to hear about the stories and adventures guys have out hunting. That's what's it all about!! Hunters helping hunters! Now someone tell me where there is a 6 point bull elk hanging out!!;). Moosin

noahs ark
07-16-2014, 09:03 PM
Can we use hard cast or other solid bullets in BC??

17* (1) A person commits an offence where he hunts
(a) with a rifle using
(i) * a full metal jacketed non-expanding bullet, or
(ii) * a tracer, incendiary, or explosive bullet,

Taken from the regs. Hard cast is considered expanding.

07-17-2014, 09:22 AM
17* (1) A person commits an offence where he hunts
(a) with a rifle using
(i) * a full metal jacketed non-expanding bullet, or
(ii) * a tracer, incendiary, or explosive bullet,

Taken from the regs. Hard cast is considered expanding.

I wonder about something like a "Barnes Buster" I would like to load some 300 grain for my 44 mag for hunting?

IronNoggin
07-17-2014, 10:03 AM
... i feel like I'm underpowered for animals like grizz and bison(if i ever get a god damn draw!!) .

You aren't "undergunned" with a 300 Mag. I have no hesitation in tackling anything up to Mammoth size with 220 grain Bear Stoppers down the pipe of my 300 Weatherby. :twisted:

That said, if you simply want a heavier rifle, by all means, Fill Your Boots! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

Ry151
07-17-2014, 10:41 AM
I've seen some grizz swallow a lot of lead and not slow down. its just like your girlfriends tits, better one size too big then one size too small!!
Best analogy ever!!

Timbow
07-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Remy M700 XCR 11 in 375 H&H with 300 gr Nosler Accubonds or Swift A Frames ! JMO RJ

RJ, how long have you had this gun? Do you have it scoped or just use the open sights? Those 300 gr bullets must have a lot of authority.

BCBRAD
07-17-2014, 12:27 PM
If you hand load, a 9.3x62 with ~65gr of powder and a 286gr Nosler Partition for ~2500fps, will do anything a 375HH will do, but in a more portable lighter recoiling rifle that normally has 5 rounds in the magazine. A very reliable combination , especially if it is in a Sako rifle.

sneg
07-17-2014, 01:31 PM
.338 Win Mag 225 gr barnes works for me

Gateholio
07-17-2014, 01:39 PM
The top choice is the .375 Ruger. Comes in several excellent rifles. Mine is a Ruger Alaskan with a Macmillan stock on it. 20" barrel, CRF action, good iron sights for back up. It's a solid, handy and portable package, with .375 H&H ++ performance.

For hunting the larger animals of BC there really is nothing better.

Foxton Gundogs
07-17-2014, 01:47 PM
You want enough gun to do the job use your 300 with a good bullet, if you want something bigger 338WM or 325WSM you can rest easy. If you want an excuse for a BIG gun anything between a 375H&H and a 458WM will make you smile and if the elephants ever invade BC your good to go.

REMINGTON JIM
07-17-2014, 01:57 PM
RJ, how long have you had this gun? Do you have it scoped or just use the open sights? Those 300 gr bullets must have a lot of authority.

Bought it new in Jan 2012 - 100 'th year of the Real King ! LOL :wink: I have a VX 11 2-7 Leupold on it in Leupold Quick Detactable rings so i can use the factory Irons if needed due to a break down of the scope or very CLOSE conditions ! I have shot 3 Blackies with it now and all died VERY quickly with 1 shot . :-D The recoil of this rifle is no Worst then any of the 3 diff 338 Win mags i have owned ! I like shooting it ! :cool:

Cheers RJ

todbartell
07-17-2014, 03:39 PM
I don't see the NEED to have a 416 or 458 for North American game. Sure it will work, but no better than a 375 (H&H, or the KING...375 Ruger). I've shot moose with a 416 w/ 350gr bullet, killed same as my 7mm Mag

338 Win Mag is a bit bigger hammer than a 300wm but not much. I'd be looking at the 35 Whelen, 358 Norma Mag, 9.3x62, 375 H&H or 375 Ruger. If you don't handload I'd go with the 375 Ruger. Between the 250gr GMX, 270gr Interlock, & 300gr DGX you can do a lot of killin' on big stuff and fairly easy to find the ammo. The new Ruger m77 Guide model is damn near perfect, just get that threaded brake nipped off, grab a set of Warne QD rings - and you're good to go.

BCBRAD
07-17-2014, 04:05 PM
The top choice is the .375 Ruger. Comes in several excellent rifles. Mine is a Ruger Alaskan with a Macmillan stock on it. 20" barrel, CRF action, good iron sights for back up. It's a solid, handy and portable package, with .375 H&H ++ performance.

For hunting the larger animals of BC there really is nothing better.

With the 375 Ruger you are burning 80+ grains of powder with no better effect than burning 65 in a 9.3. Powder weight has the greatest influence on recoil per the formula ,aside from rifle weight. The Sako ready to shoot is right at 7.5 lbs, actually only a few ounces more than the Finnlight. I normally have two rifles at camp so if one goes south there is a back up.
To utilize the irons you will need quick detach rings or tools in the field, to help reduce scope issues , in a hunting rifle, I prefer a fixed 6X that is slim and trim. CRF in my experience is nothing but a problem (I like the Sako 85 system where you can toss a round in and close the bolt as opposed to feeding the magazine and cycling it in with the bolt) I have seen that under duress the round not chamber because it didn't feed into the bolt properly, this is especially so if the shooter has one CRF and operates one or more PF's part of the time.
I have owned and shot game with 338WM,35 Whelen, 9.3x66, and 375HH, all will do the job quite handily. But for all around utility the 9.3 x66, which is just a +P '62, gets my vote for ease of shooting and carry.
We are fortunate that there are so many options to get the same job done............some tools are just better than others :)

bcsteve
07-17-2014, 05:11 PM
CRF in my experience is nothing but a problem (I like the Sako 85 system where you can toss a round in and close the bolt as opposed to feeding the magazine and cycling it in with the bolt) I have seen that under duress the round not chamber because it didn't feed into the bolt properly, this is especially so if the shooter has one CRF and operates one or more PF's part of the time.

Most CRF rifle will chamber a round thrown in the action, the extractor will snap of the rim. My Win M70 and my Ruger Hawkeye will do it. In fact, my other Ruger, an early M77 MKII is actually a pushfeed with a claw extractor.

Moose Guide
07-17-2014, 06:29 PM
With the 375 Ruger you are burning 80+ grains of powder with no better effect than burning 65 in a 9.3. Powder weight has the greatest influence on recoil per the formula ,aside from rifle weight. The Sako ready to shoot is right at 7.5 lbs, actually only a few ounces more than the Finnlight. I normally have two rifles at camp so if one goes south there is a back up.
To utilize the irons you will need quick detach rings or tools in the field, to help reduce scope issues , in a hunting rifle, I prefer a fixed 6X that is slim and trim. CRF in my experience is nothing but a problem (I like the Sako 85 system where you can toss a round in and close the bolt as opposed to feeding the magazine and cycling it in with the bolt) I have seen that under duress the round not chamber because it didn't feed into the bolt properly, this is especially so if the shooter has one CRF and operates one or more PF's part of the time.
I have owned and shot game with 338WM,35 Whelen, 9.3x66, and 375HH, all will do the job quite handily. But for all around utility the 9.3 x66, which is just a +P '62, gets my vote for ease of shooting and carry.
We are fortunate that there are so many options to get the same job done............some tools are just better than others :)

I own 4 CRF rifles(FN 98,Husqvarna 98, BSA 98 and an 03 Springfield) and all will close on and fire a round dropped into the chamber!

scottwh
07-17-2014, 06:48 PM
I have a 375 Ruger and love it. 375 H&H is good too. The 375 is slowly phasing out my 340 wby's which is also another great one..

BCBRAD
07-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Controlled Feed Disadvantages

Other things being equal (such as labor and material costs), controlled feed actions are generally more expensive to manufacture than push feed actions.
A bolt face, spring loaded, plunger ejector is not an option with controlled feeding, because cartridges are held flush against the bolt face during feeding and a plunger ejector would eject a fresh cartridge as soon as it cleared the magazine lips.
Cartridges should be fed via the magazine, not single loaded directly into the chamber, as it is difficult or impossible for the extractor to ride over the rim of a chambered cartridge. Most modern controlled feed rifles have beveled extractors that do allow single cartridges to be loaded directly into the chamber (although it is still best to feed from the magazine), but most classic controlled feed actions, especially Mauser 98's, do not.
Because of their large extractor, controlled feed bolt actions typically use two large locking lugs and require a 90-degree bolt rotation to unlock the action.
Short-stroking the bolt may cause a failure to eject a fired case and could jam it in the action when the bolt is prematurely shoved forward.

Gateholio
07-17-2014, 08:04 PM

Anybody that can shoot a 9.3 x62 can shoot a 375 Ruger. Or for that matter a 300, 12 guage slug, etc

The Ruger supplied rings can be removed with a twonnie or loonie if you want to use the irons. Or buy the Warnes if you want true QD rings.

Any Ruger Mdl 77 based rifle you can drop a round in and close the chamber.

So, your criticisms have no merit.

NEXT! ;)

Gateholio
07-17-2014, 08:09 PM

Other things being equal (such as labor and material costs), controlled feed actions are generally more expensive to manufacture than push feed actions.
A bolt face, spring loaded, plunger ejector is not an option with controlled feeding, because cartridges are held flush against the bolt face during feeding and a plunger ejector would eject a fresh cartridge as soon as it cleared the magazine lips.
Cartridges should be fed via the magazine, not single loaded directly into the chamber, as it is difficult or impossible for the extractor to ride over the rim of a chambered cartridge. Most modern controlled feed rifles have beveled extractors that do allow single cartridges to be loaded directly into the chamber (although it is still best to feed from the magazine), but most classic controlled feed actions, especially Mauser 98's, do not.
Because of their large extractor, controlled feed bolt actions typically use two large locking lugs and require a 90-degree bolt rotation to unlock the action.
Short-stroking the bolt may cause a failure to eject a fired case and could jam it in the action when the bolt is prematurely shoved forward.

You should read your post about "modern" CRF actions. ;)

I can drop a cartridge into my 375 Ruger, chamber and fire it with no ill effects, and do it again, and again, and again .....

BCBRAD
07-17-2014, 08:59 PM
You should read your post about "modern" CRF actions. ;)

I can drop a cartridge into my 375 Ruger, chamber and fire it with no ill effects, and do it again, and again, and again .....

I have, previous experiences with CRF's , kept me away from the modern versions due to having no distinct advantage compared to the pitfalls .

Moose Guide
07-17-2014, 09:08 PM
I don't see the NEED to have a 416 or 458 for North American game. Sure it will work, but no better than a 375 (H&H, or the KING...375 Ruger). I've shot moose with a 416 w/ 350gr bullet, killed same as my 7mm Mag

338 Win Mag is a bit bigger hammer than a 300wm but not much. I'd be looking at the 35 Whelen, 358 Norma Mag, 9.3x62, 375 H&H or 375 Ruger. If you don't handload I'd go with the 375 Ruger. Between the 250gr GMX, 270gr Interlock, & 300gr DGX you can do a lot of killin' on big stuff and fairly easy to find the ammo. The new Ruger m77 Guide model is damn near perfect, just get that threaded brake nipped off, grab a set of Warne QD rings - and you're good to go.

Are you implying that the .35 Whelen some how out performs the .338 WM?

Moose Guide
07-17-2014, 09:13 PM

Only the military 98s won't close on a single fed cartridge, modern 98s and even older commercial Mauser 98 actions will, I have owned 4 now and only the 1 military(VZ 24) could not be single fed!

boxhitch
07-17-2014, 09:26 PM
I own 4 CRF rifles(FN 98,Husqvarna 98, BSA 98 and an 03 Springfield) and all will close on and fire a round dropped into the chamber!Meaning they have been modified by a competent gunsmith ? Not so sure the originals did that. Had a M98 that didn't single feed , previous owner dumped it to me partially because of that . Had the extractor altered , worked fine after.

Push feeds work fine as long as the rifle is in the normal level upright position , lots of mis feeds are due to poor handling.
CRF will work in awkward positions , but requires a full bolt stroke
CRF can be quieter too , as the round is carried instead of rattling loosely.

Gateholio
07-17-2014, 10:44 PM
I have, previous experiences with CRF's , kept me away from the modern versions due to having no distinct advantage compared to the pitfalls .

Everyone has their preferences. I use both CRF and PF rifles. I far prefer CRF for a hunting rifle though.

Gateholio
07-17-2014, 10:50 PM
Regardless , this shouldn't be a PF VS CRF debate. The OP wants to know about guns and cartridges.

If I had a 300 I would load it with premium 180-200gr bullets and go slay. If I wanted a new, bigger gun , the best choice is 375 Ruger.

There you go...

Mik
07-18-2014, 09:29 AM
I have shot most of my animals with my 30-06, having said that, i do have a Browning 338 A-Bolt (right hand) for sale :)

srupp
07-18-2014, 10:05 AM
Hmmm...my.02...338 win mag..225 gr tsx....mine is a Sako....exellent choice..

Cheers
Steven

Moose Guide
07-18-2014, 03:50 PM
I do most of my hunting with a push feed Win. mod. 70 in .338 WM! My go to bullet is either a hornady 250 gr interlock or a Nosler Partition 250 gr.! It kills elk with authority and stopped a charging grizz at 12 yards! That said, I feel it is larger than I need!

riflebuilder
07-18-2014, 08:15 PM
I like my 340 wby a 225 TTSX at 3000 fsp and over 4500 foot pounds energy will kill any grizzly that walks.....pictures to follow

Big Daddy Badger
07-18-2014, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't worry about hunting griz with almost any 30 cal centerfire. Lots of em have been dropped with 30-30 and 303 etc and they are not getting any tougher.
Love my 375 Holland and Holland but I don't really enjoy humping it about....loaded it comes in at over 10 pounds.
Maybe 10 years ago I wouldn't have minded but now its for short jaunts, still hunting and the range mostly.
A double sling for something that heavy sure helps as well.
Lotta fun to shoot though and pretty easy to reload for.... thank God.... the pills for that thing get pricey otherwise.

Camp Cook
07-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Ah the spewing I've tried to stay out of it but I am starting to see it pop up over and over again so I have to chime in...

Go 375 cal this caliber for some reason is inherently accurate.

I shoot three different 375 cartridges/rifle combo's

21" barreled T/C Contender carbine in 375JDJ = 260gr Accubonds @ 2300fps = crazy accurate 300 yard anything up to moose thumper.

Also this last Friday I purchased a 14" Contender barrel in 375JDJ it should arrive in a couple of weeks I'm thinking the load above should still give me appr 2100fps can't think of a better super short 200 yard thumper other than my 14" barreled Contender 45-70 barrel.

22" barreled T/C Prohunter in 375H&H I load 250gr TTSX @ 2600fps

21" barreled Rem 700 LSS in 375RUM 260gr Accubonds @ 3020fps (one of my few 500 + yard rifle/cartridge combo's) and 350gr TSX @ 2450fps.

The 375Ruger is also an excellent cartridge does it kill/perform any better than a 375H&H no not at all pick your poison they all work.

Right now I am getting more and more into fast handling super short single shot carbines (why I purchased the 14" 375JDJ) I'm even thinking of sending my 22" 375H&H Prohunter barrel back to Gentech to get him to shorten it to 18.6".

riflebuilder
07-20-2014, 02:40 PM
the 308 Norma actually came out before the 300 Win Mag and is basically a 338 win mag necked down to 30 cal. Ballisticaly pretty much peas in a pod 300 WSM 300 Win 308 Norma.

Camp Cook
07-20-2014, 03:32 PM
Was my main hunting rifle for over 20 years excellent round.

leadpillproductions
07-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Im a 338 ultra and 338 lapua kinda guy for big guns

07-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Daisy Red Ryder in 30/06 , 7mm Mag , 300 win mag it's all about placement

chilcotin hillbilly
07-20-2014, 04:48 PM
only a fool would go into the wilds of BC with out carrying one of these
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/skinnercreek/bears%20and%20dogs%202014/577_zps0f28467f.jpg (http://s296.photobucket.com/user/skinnercreek/media/bears%20and%20dogs%202014/577_zps0f28467f.jpg.html)

r106
07-20-2014, 05:29 PM
^^^^ Got any more pics of that gun. It looks like a beauty

eaglesnester
07-20-2014, 07:49 PM
I need one more gun to make my arsenal complete. i feel like I'm underpowered for animals like grizz and bison(if i ever get a god damn draw!!) . my 300wm makes nice work of moose and elk. what do you guys use for a larger animal? 375? 40 cal? i know these guns aren't a 270wsm or anything, but do they shoot relatively flat?
thanks for your inputWell, I use a 54 caliber black powder hawken with a 470 grain bullet and 120 grains of holy black. Get ready to hold on to yur shoulder my son when U touch er off. Yur limited to around 100 meters or so. but if u do yur part a buff ante no problemo. Now for gizz and such, there be grizz and there be grizz, which one did u have in mind? Now if U want to go for the big ones on the Alaska coast, 1000 lbs maybe 800 lbs or so yur gonna need a bigger gun my son or yur got to be a very good shooter with back up.

eaglesnester
07-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Holy smokes lets see some more. Double rifle. Have never seen one before. Africa big game getter there. 400 Nitro Express?