PDA

View Full Version : LEH draw for 7-26 Need some help..

chuckerb
07-16-2014, 07:40 AM
Hi all new to this site, I have drawn a group draw for 7-26 near Fort ST James. I have never hunted this area and sure could use some advice on the area and when the rut might be at its peak,Our draw is for Sept.10-N0v 5th.I have hunted moose years ago in Williams lake and P.G. And now its time to take my son and his friend on this hunt as they have never hunted for moose but have done lots of black tail hunting on the Island. Where would we get forestry maps of the roads and does anyone no anything about Dolphine Lake Rec. site ?. or Dem Lake.Any info would be well appreciated . Thanks from a disability hunter and his son...

popeye
07-16-2014, 02:06 PM
I've camped/hunted around Dolphin Lake 4 of the past 5 years. My dad/uncle have been going up there several years before that, and always got lucky, "except" for the past couple years. I got spoiled my first year, and shot a huge bull. The fishing has always been great...a black speckled flatfish will catch dinner everyday. Loads of grouse too. Always have a great time up there. Dem, always seems to have no parking, but its easier to get to.

Most people don't like the drive off the main road to Dolphin Lake, 6 km in I think. It gets steep, and muddy if raining. But, quite a few of the dozen moose have come from that hill.

I've always seen moose up there, every year...just wasn't quick enough the past year.

All the people I ever met up there have always been either local, or from the Island. Its always been island guys I run into with an LEH draw (except for myself). But, then last year, I ran into a guy that lived 2 blocks away from me. Go figure.

How long are you up there for? There is alot of good areas to hunt up there...and like I said our family has probably taken a dozen moose out of there in the past 10 years. Its a long drive if your planning on doing the trip in 1 day.

chuckerb
07-16-2014, 03:44 PM
Yes we are from the Island, We were planning on being there on the 25 of September and staying 2 weeks, can you catch fish from the shore?or do you need a boat?. and thanks for the fishin tip well apreciated. Are they rainbow trout or something different. Any other places I should no about as I would love to see my son and his friend get a moose. I cant do to much walking after my accident but I will bring my Quad to hunt from.Are there lots of grizzlies around 7-26 as we will be camping in a tent.Also were would I get a map of this area? It sounds like your family has done great in this area , congrats on the big bull to. Any more info would be well apreciated thx Charles B.

chuckerb
07-16-2014, 03:55 PM
If you want you can pm me thanks Chucker B..