PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic declination in Redfern area? Need to set compass.

Ltbullken
07-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Getting ready for a hunt up in Redfern area. Need to set the declination on my compass. Can anyone give me current declination? The map I'm looking at has a 1965 measure and I calculate current as 26degrees 5minutes. But that is really old data. Still have a GPS but old school will never fail!

Ltbullken
07-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Answered my own question. Natural Resources Canada has a mag dec calculator. 19deg 16min.

HarryToolips
07-15-2014, 09:32 PM
Wow I thought I was the only person left who routinely uses a compass and other forms of navigation rather than relying on a GPS...have fun out there

dhlodak
07-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Little detail- set it to 19.5 deg East and you should be all good to go. You probably know that, but just to be sure anyway. How you planning on getting there-quad, fly in, horses? It's a long haul from the hwy. What you going to hunt there? I spent about 3 weeks on the lake there at the lodge couple years back with my wife. Love it there! Good luck.

2chodi
07-15-2014, 10:09 PM
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag-web/ can find the declination of any coordinate set.

liambobbi
07-16-2014, 10:54 AM
I still use bearings and paces I think you are better off ,we have had a gps stuff us over in the jungle i use mils not degrees

Ltbullken
07-16-2014, 11:02 AM
I still use bearings and paces I think you are better off ,we have had a gps stuff us over in the jungle i use mils not degrees

My compass is in mils. Declination in degrees. Good to use when you want to bear in on a specific point that you may not be able to see too well. Also, if the weather socks in bad, compass and pacing may be the only way you get out safely, especially in rough terrain. Always have a 1:50,000 map on me. When traversing mountains, I take barings, back bearings and pace distance and record, especially in variable weather. Being at 10,000 ft in a whiteout with no reference point, even with GPS, it can be hard to locate the trailhead.

Ry151
07-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Aviation maps have the declination