PDA

View Full Version : What should i do?

IslandBC
07-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Ive found what seems to be a decent area to hunt. Its off the beaten path of a decommisioned logging road and has a highway of game trails running through it. Ive put up a trail cam there and left it for months at a time and get lots of images and video of Does and Does with fawns passing through an area that is almost like an intersection. not even 10 yards away is a very worn down Rub on a tree with about 8 inch girth. Ive never had a buck on my cam but theres a sign a buck is there. or was. Do bucks come back to the same rubs they have used during previous ruts? should i be setting up a treestand in this area for the rut or opening day? if theres does there should be bucks right? Might seem like a silly qeustion but any help would be appreciated.

Apolonius
07-15-2014, 08:47 PM
It is a good area for sure.At the same time it might be an area that they bring up their young.Usually a rub there means it is also a breeding ground,with the buck marking his trail.Late season yes.Earlier i would be looking to an area adjacent but also higher.You did notice there are does and fawns.Bucks leave that area so it is enough food for the mothers and their young.A breeding area is usualy the same as the area they give birth.Winter travel is harsh.So keep the area for late season and check your maps to find out how they funnel there.Go backwards to where they came from,and there is your early season.Good luck.

Fred1
07-15-2014, 10:46 PM
Don't key on the rubs too much, they look cool and promising, but unless they have just been made, like that day, they really don't amount to much, they are mostly done randomly. Key on the girls! If the girls stay in the area until the rut, the boys will show up!! Keep that cam going!

IslandBC
07-16-2014, 05:55 AM
Both really useful information , thanks for your replies. I'll definetly keep the cams going and do some more research to see where they may funnel in from.

Wild one
07-16-2014, 06:47 AM
Don't key on the rubs too much, they look cool and promising, but unless they have just been made, like that day, they really don't amount to much, they are mostly done randomly. Key on the girls! If the girls stay in the area until the rut, the boys will show up!! Keep that cam going!

^^This

If the doe's hang around the area during the rut the bucks will be chasing tail come rut.

In my opinion Mule deer and blacktail bucks change their home range depending on the time of year. The doe's will as well and will focus on the best available food at that time of season.

If the area holds good late season feeding grounds the bucks will be their come rut. With blacktail the bigger ? is if the bucks will use the area during daylight hours.

For an early hunt I would be looking for areas you find bucks in Aug

Just my opinion

IslandBC
07-21-2014, 05:48 AM
Thanks for your reply wild one. I'll be keying on that area come rut , last winter with the snow we did get it was very minimal in that spot with lots of greenery. For an august chance for a buck should I be looking in areas that are higher up? Alpine old growth type terrain ?