PDA

View Full Version : Fraser River Fishing

huntingtime
07-15-2014, 08:37 AM
Hello,

I live in Aldergrove and have been trying to find a close area to fish after work. There is a park on the Fraser called Poplar Bar or Glenn Valley Park and am just wondering if anyone knows the best way to fish this area. Does anyone have any suggestions for whatever might be in the river right now. I'm guessing springs. I have bottom bounced and float cast before but have never tried bar fishing.... not sure if that's the way to go here or what.

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

bigbuckbuster
07-15-2014, 09:01 AM
I would suggest bar fishing over bottom bouncing, this gives the fish a chance to actually bite your bait rather than just snagging them in or near their mouth. I don't know the area but just put on a weight that will hold your bait from drifting and use a spin n glow with a some roe. Put your setup in the water and put a bell on your rod. Basically you just sit and wait for your bell to ring, I like to bring a tent or big umbrella to keep the sun off, pack some food and even a beer or 2. Its a great way to spend the evening and it is fairly productive.

Enjoy

bigbuckbuster
07-15-2014, 09:02 AM
Forgot to mention that the river isn't open until tomorrow

lip_ripper00
07-15-2014, 09:08 AM
http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=160796&ID=all

Just watch you size limites, have fun

Fella
07-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Bar fishing is awesome, it's the only way my wife will fish with me!

Sasqman
07-15-2014, 02:55 PM
Yep I really enjoy bar fishing. Here is a simple rig up for it.

http://www.steelheadermag.com/images/barrigspinfin.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=E_2PNpeDRYxPxM&tbnid=8Wg_G6NFT2MjVM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.steelheadermag.com%2Fpics%2Ff raserbar.html&ei=DKPFU56BI4W4iwKYmoDYAg&bvm=bv.71126742,d.cGE&psig=AFQjCNGx4kpr6X26ko4DlToa-Tjb0SLiAA&ust=1405547654322105)

http://flyguys.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/BarFishingRig1480x640.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=_lpZOyaTVrLWQM&tbnid=WhIdRaQM2dg7gM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fflyguys.net%2Ffishing-information%2Friver-run-salmon-fishing%2Fbar-fishing-chinook-spring-salmon-on-the-mighty-fraser-river&ei=TKPFU-CpIuOejALEqYGAAg&bvm=bv.71126742,d.cGE&psig=AFQjCNGx4kpr6X26ko4DlToa-Tjb0SLiAA&ust=1405547654322105)

Leaseman
07-16-2014, 06:33 AM
Keep driving past Poplar unless you want to fish chub.... end of the road is Duncan Bar....this is where the big boys go to fish! :wink:

ryanb
07-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Don't bottom bounce. You will catch a lot of sockeye which aren't open yet. They have a poor survival rate when caught and released.

07-16-2014, 09:28 AM
ITS ON ! Good luck

adriaticum
07-16-2014, 10:31 AM
http://www.cheamfishingvillage.com/camping.html

New Fishing Village opened on the Fraser.
Cheam Fishing Village.

Moe.JKU
07-16-2014, 11:40 AM
I would go the bar route. exactly like the pictures above. You can even add some chunks of roe if you want. Its a good way to spend weeknights after work.

Ride Red
07-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Springs have to be 50cm or less in length.

BimmerBob
07-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Springs have to be 50cm or less in length.

The advisory says they have to be between 30 and 77 cm, where did you get your information from?

rides bike to work
07-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Bottom bouncing works great up around the bars in the chillowack area heard they are slaying the springs at the scale bar. Put meat in the freezer it should be your right as a Canadian. You know what's realy tough on the sockey is nets.

lip_ripper00
07-16-2014, 01:35 PM
http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=160796&ID=all

Just watch you size limites, have fun

have a read

Wentrot
07-16-2014, 01:35 PM
Meat heads gonna meat head

adriaticum
07-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Make sure you have a minimum of 30 foot leader.

huntingtime
07-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Well I went buy a couple bars on the Fraser on my way home from work yesterday. There were a few guys bar fishing. Did not look like any caught anything. The river looked like it was barely moving. Is this still ok to bar fish in?

lip_ripper00
07-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Make sure you have a minimum of 30 foot leader.

What, you can't cast a long leader like the big boys?

adriaticum
07-17-2014, 01:51 PM
What, you can't cast a long leader like the big boys?

Lol, no I can't. That's why I don't fish the Fraser.
I'm a small potato fisherman.

Sasqman
07-17-2014, 03:25 PM
Well I went buy a couple bars on the Fraser on my way home from work yesterday. There were a few guys bar fishing. Did not look like any caught anything. The river looked like it was barely moving. Is this still ok to bar fish in?

Yes, perfect conditions. Some days there won't be any, and some days you will have school and school swimming up river,
you just need to put time in on the river to get results. Make sure you keep you rod and tackle in your vehicle, so that instead of driving by you can alwasy stop for a bit and get your line wet.

keoke
07-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Yes, perfect conditions. Some days there won't be any, and some days you will have school and school swimming up river,
you just need to put time in on the river to get results. Make sure you keep you rod and tackle in your vehicle, so that instead of driving by you can alwasy stop for a bit and get your line wet.

Nothing like 30 deg weather with a tub of salmon roe under your front seat :mrgreen:

TexasWalker
07-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Don't bottom bounce. You will catch a lot of sockeye which aren't open yet. They have a poor survival rate when caught and released.
This is a common misconception and more of a wives tale than fact.
Recent testing has shown 90% survival rates.

adriaticum
07-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Or more

http://www.thinksalmon.com/reports/FraserSockeyeHookReleaseMortality08FSWP175.pdf

keoke
07-17-2014, 09:37 PM
Lets get this back on track... I was out at Derby reach tonight, there was only a hand full of people fishing and didn't see anyone get anything including myself. I did see some rollers latter in the night. Even with the lack of action it was a fabulous way to waste an evening by myself.

BimmerBob
07-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Anybody been out with positive results? I plan on being out some next week but would be more encouraged with some positive news...

.300WSMImpact!
07-19-2014, 11:02 AM
http://www.fredscustomtackle.com/Fishing-Report_ep_77.html

this says positive things, I am heading that way early next week as well for a friends stag, we just want to catch a fish or two

elknut
07-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Fishing for springs below Mission bridge ...fish the tides..They really come on the bite then...High tide the best...

Derp
07-22-2014, 10:03 PM
heard reports of springs being caught on roe in the tidal fraser around Richmond

.300WSMImpact!
07-22-2014, 10:15 PM
fished the fraser today, we only caught one legal fish, but I did witness a fair amount being caught measured and kept, plus tons of sockeye being caught and released, was a good day

BimmerBob
07-22-2014, 11:22 PM
Fished a bar just below Crescent Island for about 3 hours, one other guy there before me by about 3 hours and both of us got skunked. Only saw a few roll the entire time out.

hoochie
07-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Or more

http://www.thinksalmon.com/reports/FraserSockeyeHookReleaseMortality08FSWP175.pdf

lol. did you read the entire thing?
I love the part about "large caliber weapons fire and related grow op"
way to keep it on track!
other than that I agree with flossing.

Ed George
08-03-2014, 05:12 PM
The 4 year sockeye mortality study proved that the bottom bouncing method is one of the most selective fisheries with the lowest proven catch mortality at less than 2%. Prior to the study, DFO used 10% catch mortality charged against the recreational fishery, they now use 3%. That means better than 97% survival rate.

Now we need to correct the creel survey. We have been our own worst enemy. When reporting your catch, please report only those that you directly remove the hook from. Do not report "long line releases" as catches, this only pushes up the recreational "catch per unit effort" and thereby raising our impacts.

hoochie
08-03-2014, 05:50 PM
^^ would you cut your deer tag if it wasn't on the ground in front of you? why would anyone report losing a fish? to be "caught" it has to be in your net or on the shore. If you can take a picture holding it.. its caught. if you don't have the fish on the beach or in your boat.. that's not a landed, "caught" fish.

Wentrot
08-03-2014, 05:50 PM
The 4 year sockeye mortality study proved that the bottom bouncing method is one of the most selective fisheries with the lowest proven catch mortality at less than 2%. Prior to the study, DFO used 10% catch mortality charged against the recreational fishery, they now use 3%. That means better than 97% survival rate.

Now we need to correct the creel survey. We have been our own worst enemy. When reporting your catch, please report only those that you directly remove the hook from. Do not report "long line releases" as catches, this only pushes up the recreational "catch per unit effort" and thereby raising our impacts.

How is bottom snagging selective lol and why does dfo often tell fisherman NOT to bottom bounce and to bar fish, use plugs ect instead to be selective....bottom bouncing is not selective at all

russm
08-03-2014, 07:56 PM
How is bottom snagging selective lol and why does dfo often tell fisherman NOT to bottom bounce and to bar fish, use plugs ect instead to be selective....bottom bouncing is not selective at all

They tell you to not bottom bounce when springs are open and sockeye aren't so you're not accidentally catching sockeye, I do agree bottom bouncing isn't selective, I've actually "caught" a 3-4 foot sturgeon bottom bouncing for sockeye....

Ed George
08-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Bottom bouncing is considered a selective fishery as it does not kill all that are caught. DFO uses this as a method of controlling the catch as bottom bouncing a more effective method than bar fishing. This is our food fishery, use it responsibly. If you prefer other methods, please respect the other methods also. We are not all fly fishers or catch and release only. DFO wants to control our tackle box ie: barbless hooks, what is next, no downriggers as they are too efficient? With bottom bouncing you are able to release fish with a reasonable belief that the fish will survive, no major bleeders.

hoochie
08-04-2014, 09:06 PM
I don't understand people who are against bouncing. The object of fishing is to get fish. we can then provide food for our family and friends. If someone wants to handicap themselves and use a method that they feel is more ethical.. then maybe they can explain to us what makes there method more ethical, and if if its for food.. why do ethics even come into play if the method being used is legal?
Its like someone telling you to shoot a grouse with only a .22 or only another method. What does it matter your choice of method if it gets you food?
A single barbless hook travelling down the mighty fraser river....its not a net.. its a single barbless hook.

ducktoller
08-04-2014, 10:51 PM
I don't understand people who are against bouncing. The object of fishing is to get fish. we can then provide food for our family and friends

I agree with th is but be careful saying ethics don't matter, it's our responsibilityto handle game in the most gentle way possible within the realm of killing it for food.

I have more issue with catch and release. I'll release something not legal but seems cruel to shove a hook in somethings mouth and throwing back for fun. I don't feel anything doing it but on reflection it seems wrong.

While bottom bouncing feels cheap it could be more ethical as Long as it's handled properly and you leave after you get your fish.
Whether you bounce or troll, either way someone going to bring home a fish will bring it home

Jack Russell
08-05-2014, 05:49 AM
I don't understand people who are against bouncing. The object of fishing is to get fish. we can then provide food for our family and friends. If someone wants to handicap themselves and use a method that they feel is more ethical.. then maybe they can explain to us what makes there method more ethical, and if if its for food.. why do ethics even come into play if the method being used is legal?
Its like someone telling you to shoot a grouse with only a .22 or only another method. What does it matter your choice of method if it gets you food?
A single barbless hook travelling down the mighty fraser river....its not a net.. its a single barbless hook.

Educate yourself on the fishing priority (Conservation, FN, commercial and rec fishery) and the effects of a non selective sport fishery during a non retention fishery.
Second, the mortality study is not all that conclusive. Yes, the fish left "the overnight compound", but did those fish make it to Hope? How about the spawning beds? Did they actually spawn successfully. I haven't seen those questions fully answered, if at all.

goatdancer
08-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Educate yourself on the fishing priority (Conservation, FN, commercial and rec fishery) and the effects of a non selective sport fishery during a non retention fishery.
Second, the mortality study is not all that conclusive. Yes, the fish left "the overnight compound", but did those fish make it to Hope? How about the spawning beds? Did they actually spawn successfully. I haven't seen those questions fully answered, if at all.

How do you propose that type of study be done? There is no way to track the individual fish.

hoochie
08-05-2014, 09:26 PM
dude, im 41 years old, been fishing since I was 5 ish.
There are many places that are catch and release only, and do you think they would let people catch and release fish if it was that harmful?
And what are you telling me to educated for? the fish I catch get handled once. I land them then kill them. I don't release them. there is no issue with mortality to any fish that I catch because its getting bled out right then.
I bottom bounce when sockeye is open.

How about you educate yourself on whats actually happening in a bottom bounce. Have you seen the guys who fish the Vedder with the dink float way above the weight?.. ya that's right... the distance between the weight and the dink float is longer than the water is deep. They are getting their hooks down low. that's all that bottom bouncing is. getting your hook on the bottom few inches of the water

Until there is some rule that makes bouncing illegal, I will continue to do it.
You know, I don't really like to see bow hunting. I see a deer get hit then it runs away leaving a massive blood trail. I hunt with a rifle. I know that both methods are legal for hunting, but I just don't like the delay in death I see when an animal is hit with a bow.
So I preach to bow hunters? NO. why? cause its legal, and none of my business. If I choose not to hunt that way.. that's my thing, and not worth arguing over.
same goes with fishing. Don't like me bouncing? change the law bud.

Jack Russell
08-06-2014, 06:55 AM
dude, im 41 years old, been fishing since I was 5 ish.
There are many places that are catch and release only, and do you think they would let people catch and release fish if it was that harmful?
And what are you telling me to educated for? the fish I catch get handled once. I land them then kill them. I don't release them. there is no issue with mortality to any fish that I catch because its getting bled out right then.
I bottom bounce when sockeye is open.

How about you educate yourself on whats actually happening in a bottom bounce. Have you seen the guys who fish the Vedder with the dink float way above the weight?.. ya that's right... the distance between the weight and the dink float is longer than the water is deep. They are getting their hooks down low. that's all that bottom bouncing is. getting your hook on the bottom few inches of the water

Until there is some rule that makes bouncing illegal, I will continue to do it.
You know, I don't really like to see bow hunting. I see a deer get hit then it runs away leaving a massive blood trail. I hunt with a rifle. I know that both methods are legal for hunting, but I just don't like the delay in death I see when an animal is hit with a bow.
So I preach to bow hunters? NO. why? cause its legal, and none of my business. If I choose not to hunt that way.. that's my thing, and not worth arguing over.
same goes with fishing. Don't like me bouncing? change the law bud.

Thanks for the chuckle - for many things, including the Vedder example. Same old defensive bottom bouncing argument (until its illegal, I'll keep bottom bouncing - btw, it already is if you read the "unlawful to willfully snag fish part"). Keep on going, doing what you do. If it wasn't for the guides and tackle shops and manufacturers screaming at the top of their lungs about their economic activity, you wouldn't have this fishery. How did they survive before the snag fest ever began? Lord only knows.

You can't keep snagged fish, that is, fish hooked somewhere other than in the area of the mouth, which happens regularly bottom bouncing. So you MUST release some sockeye.

You are oblivious to the political nature the fishery is immersed in. I don't see the majority of bb'ers putting two sockeye on the beach and then quitting. They cream out the biggest, brightest and most beautiful fish, releasing all others, and then continue bb'ing and releasing more sockeye until the get "their spring" (like they're entitled to it).

However, it is all about the snag artists filling their freezer, at any cost, as long as they don't have to use their grey matter and waste any more time on the river waiting for fish to actually bite.

I will not hold my breath waiting for this fishery to die, but I sure hope it happens.

Another 5 minutes of life wasted. Absolutely wasted on nincompoops that will never get it.

REMINGTON JIM
08-06-2014, 07:21 AM
WOW :shock: some very different views here on whats legal /ethical / Whatever :confused: and Jack Russell's a MEAN Man ! :cry: LOL RJ

Foxtail
08-06-2014, 07:31 AM
You know what they say about opinions... ;)

M.Dean
08-06-2014, 07:32 AM
Bouncing Betty's are here to stay!!! Enough of this slander-est talk!!! And, if anyone's got a pile of cheap lead kick'in around, PM me, my stocks getting a tad low here!!! And, if I may add, Flossing is good for you, 99 out of 100 Dentist's surveyed agree!!! And, a helpful fish'in tip here, use real light leader, that way if your Betty does get snagged, you can just pull real hard, snap your Mono line, saving the braided line, and then go buy another Betty!!! Hope everyone's lines are tight, there Betty's fall off, and you get your limit!!! And don't be cheap when buying your weights, pickup a couple of each, right from 1 ounce to 4 and a half ounce, that way you know you got the one that's going to bounce the best!!!

ruger#1
08-06-2014, 08:07 AM
WOW :shock: some very different views here on whats legal /ethical / Whatever :confused: and Jack Russell's a MEAN Man ! :cry: LOL RJ What. Did they ban CIL fishing lures?

Wentrot
08-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Bouncing Betty's are here to stay!!! Enough of this slander-est talk!!! And, if anyone's got a pile of cheap lead kick'in around, PM me, my stocks getting a tad low here!!! And, if I may add, Flossing is good for you, 99 out of 100 Dentist's surveyed agree!!! And, a helpful fish'in tip here, use real light leader, that way if your Betty does get snagged, you can just pull real hard, snap your Mono line, saving the braided line, and then go buy another Betty!!! Hope everyone's lines are tight, there Betty's fall off, and you get your limit!!! And don't be cheap when buying your weights, pickup a couple of each, right from 1 ounce to 4 and a half ounce, that way you know you got the one that's going to bounce the best!!!

Shit, is that what the snaggers are using these days? 4.5 ouncers?!

tinhorse
08-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Just a question for the non bottom bouncers. If you don't bounce for sockeye, you must not fly fish either cause that us just another method of flossing them, How do you get the sockeye in the Fraser to bite? I have been able to get them to hit roe on the vender and small pink yarn on other clear water rivers but never in the Fraser. I find Spey fishing works the best as you have more than 40 feet of line out to run through their mouths. I know trolling in the ocean works but that's about it.

REMINGTON JIM
08-06-2014, 04:34 PM
What. Did they ban CIL fishing lures?

Best Dam Lure ever made and Good for Beaver Dams too! :wink: RJ

huntingtime
08-07-2014, 03:38 PM
I originally started this thread asking about Chinook bar fishing in Aldergrove area and got some great responses. Thank you.

Now im wondering about Sockeye fishing close to Aldergrove. I have been out a few times years ago in Chilliwack but what about something closer to Aldergrove?

Thanks