PDA

View Full Version : Bow river upper reaches?

arcticfly
07-15-2014, 12:11 AM
I will visit Bow river in late July. I will stay in Canmore and was wondering if the river is good up there, or should I go farther downstream? Any good tips for a travelling flyfisher? Is there other rivers that is better at this time of the year? Small intimate rivers with big fish is better than big rivers with small fish ;-)

Any tips on decent spots would be highly appreciated

Thank you

Alex Ostvold

Wild one
07-15-2014, 06:17 AM
Great fishing for browns and Mt white fish. It has been sometime since I have fished it and no doubt the flood changed the holes. Personally my fav stretch of the Bow.

It was common to catch multiple browns around the 20 inch mark when I fished it. The world record Mt white came from Gap lk

Don't be afraid to toss big heavy streamers for the big browns. For numbers nymphing works well or a hopper dropper set up. For dry fly fishing I find you need to hit the right day to have it really produce.

The Bow sees a lot of pressure so hiking it and using patterns out side of the norm seems to produce well. You will find easy access spots where you can see big browns but don't spend too much time flogging these spots if they are not biting because these fish are educated. You will do better if you focus on active fish.

Policemen's creek to Gap Lake was a good stretch.

arcticfly
07-15-2014, 07:25 AM
Super info!

Thank you. I´ll bring a box full of woolybuggers, that´ll teach them :-)

Is the area downstream from Calgary better for dryly? Seems that is the are most recommend, is that because of size or numbers?

Wild one
07-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Woolybuggers are a common fly in the bow and do work. Double bunny, sculpin, and baitfish patterns work well for stubborn browns think 2-4 inch flies that are heavy weighted ;). I believe the reason this works well is you can work deeper and faster water than the average bow fly fisher.

Down stream from Calgary is good as well it holds a lot more rainbows than browns and the odd pike. Average size of fish is similar maybe a little better. Not common but I would say you are more likely to find a truly big fish in the lower river. That said there is still some huge fish around Canmore just less of them. Lower bow head for Carsland around the weir can be great.

The upper and lower are really 2 completely different fisheries both have there advantages over the other. I would say you hear more about the lower do to population and access. Both are well worth it

Dry fly fishing I have never found consistent on the bow but is fun when the fish are on. Streamers and nymphs will out produce dries. I proffer streamers do to the average fish I caught compared to nymphs was bigger

wiggy
07-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Some of the best brown trout fishing in the world is on the upper bow. Try below seebe dam. Use big presentations and heavy sinking line. Their are some huge holes below the dams. Very possible to catch a 10 lb plus brown.

arcticfly
07-15-2014, 11:11 PM
I apreciate this info guys! It´s never easy to find good fishing in a new river when you only visit for a couple of days, but help like this is making it a little easier at least. I´m more of a DIYér so fishing with guide is something I only do when I need a boat.

Is there other good rivers in Banff? I will also visit Waterton NP, and Vancouver Island, but I think I will miss the salmon season as I will be there the 20´th of July.

wiggy
07-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Waterfowl lk in jasper is just awesome. If you have a canoe head across the lake from the campground. Sic trout fishing. The absolute best

Wild one
07-16-2014, 10:20 AM
On the way to waterton the upper livingstone and oldman can be good for cutties and bulls

BULLNUTTS
07-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Of course the lower BlueRibbon section is a great area for browns n bows and the area around Canmore can be productive with good sised browns and the ocasional bull n bow too.I too preferre nymphs for numbers and bigger fish.favs include- handtied prince nymphs weighted with soft wrap lead and oversized hooks and bodies,large zugbugs weighted and oversized for trout-smaller for killer rocky nymph,just as a note here - there is a small lake near Canmore ,on indian reserve- pay to fish[small fee] that has unbelievable rainbow fishing!!!pm for details if interested.

Philcott
07-16-2014, 11:23 AM
Does the fishing in the rivers in Alberta require single barbless hooks?

Wild one
07-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Does the fishing in the rivers in Alberta require single barbless hooks?

Alberta was barbless for all waters but I hear that is changing.

No single hook restriction though

You will find a lot of bait bans when it comes to trout rivers

Philcott
07-16-2014, 12:04 PM
So bait bans and hook restrictions are something our arctic friend will need to be aware of.

patbrennan
07-18-2014, 06:04 AM
Where on the Island will you be going? If around Campbell River thru to Nile Creek there will be pink salmon showing by the end of the month off the beaches.