PDA

View Full Version : No moose LEH, loading up and heading north. Dease style!

Livinlarge
07-14-2014, 08:38 PM
We should consider ourselves fortunate because we have drawn moose leh around burns lake 4 out of the last 5 years. This year no dice!

This gives us an opportunity to do a trip we have been talking about for quite some time. My buddy harvested his first moose around dease lake and looks like we are heading back this year. I'm can assume we are going to back to the spot he got his moose but just for curiosity sake I'd like to throw out a couple questions to the members cause I've never been and have many questions.

Our group consist of 4 younger (30ish) shooters and 2 older than dirt camp cooks/expert callers. Our two dads love to come along just for the experience. We will be using trucks to access hunting/camp area and will be bringing one quad. Our main focus will be moose.

Question: is there any areas we can access with our trucks or quads that will put us in an area with a chance of caribou or goat as well as our main focus of moose? Or am I just dreaming and should just buck up and do a fly in trip for that?

thanks for and advice or insite

Cordillera
07-14-2014, 09:21 PM
I think you answered it. The roads don't get very close to caribou or goats. It's hard enough to get away from the crowds for moose you are probably best off to just focus on that. Good luck. Moose densities are lower than burns lake but higher bull ratios and the country is just neat.

NorBC
07-15-2014, 06:59 AM
Lots of nice bulls that way. What dates are you going? I've seen snow down low in September in that area. There's always a chance it will push some goats down for you..

two-feet
07-15-2014, 07:11 AM
Check the regs, most all of the roads up north of dease are closed to moose hunting during the rut. Good luck, we were planning the same if our leh did not pan out. Great country but busy for moose season

digginsweatinswearin
07-15-2014, 07:21 AM
I am in the same situation myself, thinking of doing the same sort of thing. Sounds like a good choice, take and post lots of pics.

Livinlarge
07-15-2014, 07:40 AM
We will be arriving sept 19 and staying about a week. How's this date for the rut?

NorBC
07-15-2014, 08:23 AM
I went up the stikine on sept 25th last year. We were a little late, but it was super warm up there. A lot of empty boats heading down as we were heading up. They were rutting hard. We managed to come home with 5. One spiker, the rest 45-55 as shown in my avatar. Beautiful country, take lots of pics!

Stone Sheep Steve
07-15-2014, 09:27 AM
You can access caribou country and perhaps the odd goat spot.
I belive the road proximitry closures start on Sept 25?

I would not be surprized if hunters run into 'different obstacles' up there this fall.

SSS

Livinlarge
07-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Could someone explain the reasonings for the road closure durning the rut.

Liveforthehunt
07-15-2014, 12:16 PM
We will be arriving sept 19 and staying about a week. How's this date for the rut?

Should be fine hit the pre rut for sure but it varies every year by about a week

Stone Sheep Steve
07-15-2014, 12:20 PM
Could someone explain the reasonings for the road closure durning the rut.

Concern from locals of over-harvest by resident hunters. The closure is only 400m and you have some strong backs in your party so not to worry.

SSS

Livinlarge
07-16-2014, 02:58 PM
From what I've read is that roads up there are kinda few and far between. Perfect!!! I'm not a road hunter and love to strap on the boots and header into the bush!