PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite moose call (brand).

Wild_Dog
07-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Looking to get input or a list of what your favorite moose calls are. Any particular brands that seem to be better then others?

Wild one
07-14-2014, 09:27 AM
My voice it is cheap, I can always find it, it is light, easy to vary the tone, good results, can do both cow and bull call :mrgreen:

Not hard to learn how to call with your voice you just need to get past how funny you sound well practising

Darksith
07-14-2014, 09:47 AM
You would spend money on a moose call? Why?

I have a friend once, had a chainsaw that wouldn't start, didn't get any wood cut, but he did call in a big bull. Listen to youtube or something, practice a tiny bit, thats all you need to do to learn how to call moose.

Wild_Dog
07-14-2014, 09:47 AM
Haha alright. I'll search for some video. My wife will hate it...kids will love it.

moosecaller
07-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Definitely my voice it's been working extremely well for the last 40 years or so, hasn't let me down yet, it seems to get better over the years as it can mimic the call backs almost exact. It can do bull call/challenge, cow in heat or looking for her calf and calf call for those particular timid bulls, give them a sense of security.

07-14-2014, 10:43 AM
yep,,, Use your hands..... and voice... if you want you can get some birch bark and build a "Megaphone!" but hands cuped to your mouth is just fine!

oooorrrrrr get a coffee can drill a hole in the bottom and tie a knot on a piece of string,,,, run it through the hole ... wet it and pull...... that is the old school moose call!

Steelpulse
07-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Hands are the best moose call, would be a waste of money unless just buying a birch cone, tthhey are easy to make as well

Gr8 white hunter
07-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Voice and birch bark works very well .

Big Mac
07-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Well your voice is the best my canned moose will do the job go to moose and elk calling on google and you will see and here the sounds

DANOSON
07-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Make a mold and fiber glass a cone. Make it 8" at the wide end and 2" at the small end and 24" long. Make sure you fiber glass the small end so that there is no hole. Once it is hard drill a 3/8" hole in the center. Makes it easy to call through the small hole works well to imatate cow pissing in the water and you can use the horn against the trees for a horn raking sound. Don't be shy with the fiber glass as it will last longer the thicker it is if used for raking the bush. Little bit of work but makes a great call or you can buy a case of beer get some gun tape drink the beer and make a cone out of the box. Nothing flashy but it works we always use that for a back up in case we forget the fiber glass call. Have fun good luck.

BiG Boar
07-14-2014, 01:14 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?52074-Calling-Moose-101

Wild_Dog
07-14-2014, 01:18 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?52074-Calling-Moose-101

Good link! And thanks to all other input.

Island Idiots
07-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Chain saw works had it happen to me! LOL! Thought I was the only one that had that experiance.
Use your voice. If you get one of those orange pylons like you see for road work and cut the sqaure end of they work great!

Ltbullken
07-14-2014, 02:24 PM
It's the 'finger-nostril-pinch-hands-cupped-over-mouth-whhhaaaaaa!' brand... works everytime.

Ambush
07-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Domtar has been awesome for me for years. Tar paper that is.

Go past any new housing project and there will be some laying around. Cheap, water proof, can be flattened and it's black like a cow moose's head.

Make a cone, staple, poke a hole for a lanyard and done.

moosecaller
07-14-2014, 02:39 PM
Plastic safety cone, durable bright orange so you won't lose it, my came courtesy of the department of high ways many years ago, it was broken the base had come off,so perfect I would have cut it off anyway, it's been with me for over 30 years.

07-14-2014, 02:52 PM
did ya paint it cammo???? Lord knows you cant stay with that Bright highway orange!!!!!!

moosecaller
07-14-2014, 04:19 PM
did ya paint it cammo???? Lord knows you cant stay with that Bright highway orange!!!!!!

It's 30 + years old it's not very bright anymore, sort of like me! It's done a very good job over the years and I don't think a bright orange one would be such a bad idea with some of the yahoos out there, you could wear it on your head on the walk out of the bush (insert visual here) lookin' good!

BCBRAD
07-14-2014, 04:30 PM
back in the day ( before EcoBoost) the 7.3l Power Stroke was/is the best moose caller out there.

Crimson Viking
07-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Home made birch bark call. Made on a moose trip when we had a rained out day. I have a smaller one tucked into a larger one. Seems to defuse the sound so it sounds more natural and not just a voice from a cone. That my story and I'm sticking to it. Lol

two-feet
07-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Had a first time moose hunter with me last year, i laughed at his pathetic immitation of moose grunts and moans, guess who called in a bull to 20yrds the first morning and got his first moose? Just using his hands too. I just bbq'd some t-bones off that moose and sweet jesus were they good!

Fred1
07-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Yup, no calls... Use your voice. Cut the bottom off a Clamato jug If you feel the need to throw sound further. The Clamato jugs are cheap and have a bit of a grip to 'em. As said you just have to get over sounding like a horny moose. Its funny alright. Youtube it... listen and go practice! Practice as you drive to work - safest place... Ive been calling elk up and down every highway in the Okanagan all summer ;)

f350ps
07-14-2014, 09:50 PM
After 25 or more years listening to guys that plug their nose and try and call Moose, me included, I bought a Carlton call. At least ten Bulls have called my freezer home in the last 15 years. Against popular belief, voice calling (if you actually sound like a Moose) works at reasonable distances but in my opinion isn't loud enough. K

Fisher-Dude
07-14-2014, 09:58 PM
Ye ol' scapula.