PDA

View Full Version : Who here has hunted Grizzly...

Rhyla
07-13-2014, 10:50 PM
I have a successful draw in 7-50 for grizzly this fall. We are going on an outfitted hunt for our honeymoon and up until now I have been preparing to hunt moose and elk. It was a last minute decision to put in for the draw for grizz, and I really was not expecting to be successful and now I am feeling a wee bit lost.

So I was hoping there might be some members here who have hunted grizzly and could share their experiences, or perhaps some tips! I love hunting black bear, by far my favorite animal on the dinner plate and in the wild, but I know this is going to be an entirely different experience.

dakoda62
07-14-2014, 05:13 AM
shot placement is key, first and foremost.Who is your outfitter?

BiG Boar
07-14-2014, 07:05 AM
Pm me if you need help getting a bear if you're doing it solo. If you're going with an outfitter, you'll have no problem.

Rhyla
07-14-2014, 07:11 AM
Our outfitter is Steamboat Mountain Outfitters. I will not be hunting solo. My husband to be will be with me. He did not get a grizzly draw but will be hunting moose/elk and being with me for safety while I go after my bear.

BiG Boar
07-14-2014, 07:26 AM
So are you going with a guide or are they just packing you in and out?

Rhyla
07-14-2014, 07:39 AM
They are packing us in and out, and offering camp services (it is our honeymoon, we had to be a little pampered!) but they are not hunting with us as they are not guides.

boxhitch
07-14-2014, 07:42 AM
Thats a tough hunt . THe bears are scattered as there is food everywhere so for the most part you will be traveling the country and trying to stumble on something . Its almost impossible to judge where one will turn up , they have such a varied food intake . IMO focus on the elk/moose and be ready at any time for a fast set up and a quick shot if a griz is spotted.

Philcott
07-14-2014, 07:50 AM
I've never hunted Grizzly so am no help on that but might I suggest you bring along a pack alarm to set up around your camp? Might allow you to sleep a little easier.

07-14-2014, 08:08 AM
So your the guy who got my grizzly tag! Better make good use of it!

bridger
07-14-2014, 08:45 AM
I have a lot of experience hunting the area you are going into.There are definitely lots of grizzly bears in there. The majority of the bears I have seen in there have been incidental sightings when hunting elk, or when they have come into camp. Specifically hunting them is time consuming (lots of sitting and glassing) and will take away a lot of time from hunting moose and elk. Your chances of getting a grizzly in there are really good. Just keep your eyes open and your rifle handy. Good luck

Rhyla
07-14-2014, 08:47 PM
Thank you all for the replies. We have definitely heard that the area is good, and so I am very hopeful.

Argali
07-14-2014, 11:00 PM
Well you are being quite a sport going hunting on your honeymoon, so your husband should come through by cooking you some bacon. Yes, lots of bacon...

Barracuda
07-15-2014, 12:15 AM
good choice on the honey moon we went hunting on our honeymoon also.
A grizzly hunt can be one of the most interesting and satisfying hunts you can have, it will give you what you put into it.
A good hunt consists of about 90% Anticipation and 10% Exhilaration so you should have a good time .

Rhyla
07-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Well you are being quite a sport going hunting on your honeymoon, so your husband should come through by cooking you some bacon. Yes, lots of bacon...

I'm not sure, I may have wanted to go hunting for our honeymoon more than he did! Really, I don't know what else we would have done... sat on a beach somewhere warm surrounded by other tourists? No thanks! However bacon wouldn't hurt ;)

srupp
07-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Hmm congradulations...on the marriage, and the grizz draw..I did call with some suggestions..will certainly try again..

Steven

Rhyla
07-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Steven, I must not have had my cellphone on me when you called. I have it now! You can call anytime this evening except I won't be available between 5-6. I really appreciate it.

Mik
07-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Yep, have hunted and killed ! Shot placement is important, if you're close shoot thru the front legs! Break 'em! And the bullet will continue thru with lots of bone fragments to hit the vitals. Remember a bears heart rate is slow, so if ya hit the vitals, like on a deer, and you're close to it, it can still charge you.

mikey
07-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Good luck! I will be in 7-40 this fall looking for my first grizz aswell.

srupp
07-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Great chat with you...wishing you a long happy marriage , and a safe enjoyable hunt

Steven