PDA

View Full Version : Trail Cam Settings

Riverbc
07-13-2014, 04:05 PM
I just got a good deal on 2 Primos Truth Cam 35's. For now I plan on just using the photo setting. My question is for the delay and multi burst settings. The delay between pictures options are, 10 seconds, 1 minute, and 30 minutes. The settings for number of pics taken in the multi setting are, 1, 3 and 5. For those that have used trail cams before, what settings do you use and why?

Thanks

Wentrot
07-13-2014, 04:16 PM
I use 10 second time out and for photos use the burst-better odds of a good photo.

.300WSMImpact!
07-13-2014, 04:19 PM
I put a 10 second delay, and take a 2 picture burst, the reason for this is when big bucks or bulls first come into the cam the noise of the cam can scare them off so I want to make sure I get all the pictures I can of whats there

Sitkaspruce
07-13-2014, 05:41 PM
It depends on what you doing with it. Trail or over bait. If trail, go with the 10 seconds, 3 pictures. If over bait, unless you really like to look at pictures, set it for 1 pict every min. I find 99% of animals will be there for more than an minute in one setting. This will also save on batteries.

I was at 30 seconds, 2 picts, but was getting tired of 1500 photos for 2 weeks and a moose decides to sleep on the bait or a bear decides to cat nap in front of the camera. Now have 2 picts every 2 min, but I can set mine to that time. Right now I am more into scouting, looking for bucks and bulls that will get my attention. Once I have found them, I switch to 2 picts every 30 seconds as I really want to see the true size of the buck/bull.

Good luck, have fun and post up some pictures.

Cheers

SS

Ourea
07-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Make sure you test those cams before you hang them!
Primos have had some cams that had major performance issues over the years.
Not trying to alarm you or undermine your purchase.

Hang the cam and walk thru the field of view from left to right at 10', 20', 30', 40, 50'.
Rinse and repeat entering from the opposite side.

Try this with multiple cam settings.
It's easy and only a 45 min process.
Review the results.
Cams are not fool proof!

You would be surprised how many cams have "blind spots".
You would also be surprised at the amount of misses some cams have.

If you are hanging a cam over an attractant the testing process is obviously much simpler.

.300WSMImpact!
07-13-2014, 06:31 PM
see I think differently then you, if I had the quality bulls you have I would not want to miss a picture and have it set for every 10 seconds, lol

Riverbc
07-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Make sure you test those cams before you hang them!
Primos have had some cams that had major performance issues over the years.
Not trying to alarm you or undermine your purchase.

They are both in the backyard, asking pics of the daughter's dog and anything else that might venture back there. :)

Riverbc
07-13-2014, 07:42 PM
thanks for the info!

Cyrus
07-14-2014, 11:10 AM
I use 10 second time out and for photos use the burst-better odds of a good photo.

X2 usually with a 3 pic burst. There always seem to be a longer trigger delay the first time the animal comes into frame...regardless of what the trigger speed the company says. Better to get a few quick shots than just the ass end of the animal. Get some bait in front of it to get it to stop and smile for a nice pic. You may want to adjust these settings if you are getting hundreds of pics of the same doe and fawn eating your bait. I have had a few Primos cameras. IMO they are the easiest to set up but seem to burn batteries like crazy. Pics are okay and it should let you know whats out there! If its an older truth cam they do have a clunk in them every time they take a pic, maybe 1 out of ten times it might spook game. Don't forget your cable lock!

bassplayer
07-14-2014, 11:35 AM
I go 3 pics with a min in between.

hunter1947
07-14-2014, 01:14 PM
I have my trail cams set for one min 3 pictures and videos every 10min for 60 sec....

MRP
07-14-2014, 07:44 PM
Here's a tip for ya. In clearing my trail cam line of sight I mist one little branch. I got 4287 picks of it. :confused:

Wentrot
07-14-2014, 07:53 PM
Here's a tip for ya. In clearing my trail cam line of sight I mist one little branch. I got 4287 picks of it. :confused:

lol that's all I got for the first 3 months of starting out with trail camera, seemed no matter where I set up I only got moving branches.

Lessons hard learned.

hunter1947
07-15-2014, 09:16 AM
I have my trail cam setting on normal not hi for movements and I put my trail cams back 40 feet from where mother nature does not move any tree leafs or branches..