PDA

View Full Version : Whats your bone saw?

AJJ
07-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Like everyone each off season, I try to lighten my pack by examining if a piece of equipment is neccesary and/or seeing if that piece of equipment can be replaced by a lighter version of it.
Which brings me to my bone saw, I use the Wyoming Knife Saw 2WS2CP. It comes with a holding pouch that you can wear around your waist like a fanny pack.
I bought the Wyoming in the 90s sometime, and it accompanied me on many a hunt early in my career. Ive always had concerns about it weight at 18 oz.
As a result of this I started carrying retractable pruning saws and left the Wyoming at home for a spell.
With the pruning saws I had concerns with the blade length and the blade locking device. Often found the pruners would collapse periodically when removing skull caps.
So I went back to my Wyoming Saw and can't see me replacing it with anything else for two reasons:
1. The Wyoming Saw is great for cutting wood for fires. Last year were we were it snowed considerably and we went through lots of wood, that Wyoming saw was like a chain saw, ripping through any piece of wood that it encountered.
2. The 18 inch blade makes such quick work of a skull.
Overall its not as light as Id like, but its very functional.
Anyone else use one? is there a lighter 18 inch blade saw out there? what do you use and why?

Fosey
07-12-2014, 09:33 PM
The only reason for a bone saw is to cut wood. The jaw and all the meat can be taken off with a knife. I use my Gerber strictly for camp work but could do without it.

Sitkaspruce
07-12-2014, 09:53 PM
Used to use a Wyoming, no just do the Gutless Method, no need for a saw.

Cheers

SS

HARDICAT
07-12-2014, 10:12 PM
I just bought my sons Silky "pocket boy" from Lee Valley. These saws are made in Japan and are 7 ounces of hardcore cutting tool . Look them up at Silky saws

Gateholio
07-12-2014, 10:22 PM
When I carry a saw it's the Sandvik style folding saw. But you can take every scrap of meat dying a knife.

swampthing
07-13-2014, 08:21 AM
I think some guys are missing the point that you use it to cut the rack off a skull, in order to backpack it out of the bush. I killed a 48" moose 7km off a trail years back. I strapped the whole head to my pack. That didn't last long. I used my swiss army knife with the little saw blade to cut the rack off! It took about 2 hours and I lost all my knuckle skin. Then I did it all over again by killing a caribou in the same spot while retrieving my last bag of meat! I got home and bought the Wyoming saw. It works awesome but like you I hate to carry it. I have seen some smaller folding saws out there but have never tried one. Gerber comes to mind. They wont work nearly as well for wood though.

BearSupreme
07-13-2014, 09:14 AM
If its just for cutting antlers off the skull, just bring a 12" aluminum hack saw. Mine is 16" total length and weights under 15oz and got it for 30 bucks.

moosinaround
07-13-2014, 09:56 AM
I the field away from the truck I use a Wyoming saw, have had it for 20yrs. If by the truck I use the chain saw! A picked up a Wetterlings hatchet, and it makes short work of bone too!! Moosin

Fred1
07-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Knapp saw....

shortrange
07-13-2014, 12:42 PM
If its just for cutting antlers off the skull, just bring a 12" aluminum hack saw. Mine is 16" total length and weights under 15oz and got it for 30 bucks.

Yep. Ace Hardware hacksaw. 12 bucks. Fits in my backpack and cuts small fallen trees when I am on the logging roads and need to get by...

MOWITCH SLAYER
07-13-2014, 03:32 PM
i have used a Gerber saw for years. its in my quad year around, comes apart and slides into a small pouch. i have used it to quarter elk , half deer, split pelvis or brisket. cut off horns and legs. clear trails. cut firewood . would not be without it !!

Sitkaspruce
07-13-2014, 05:32 PM
Used to use an Eswing hatchet and wyoming saw to remove antlers. The hatchet works quick and is easy, but not pretty, lots of rough edges to clean up. But now have an old Sthil 009 limbing saw and just pack that is on my last trip to cut the antlers off. Also use the Husky 352 if closer. A limbing saw weights nothing and works well.

Cheers

SS

Lukeez88
07-13-2014, 05:53 PM
I bought a cheap cheap Coghlans folding saw a few years ago from Canadian tire. Can't even count how many times I've used it. It always is getting used, I consider it a necessity now and always pack it in with me wherever I go.

AJJ
07-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Thanks Swampthing..
Your right, some guys must have thought I was starting a thread about gutting an animal. Which I wasn't.
Ya my primary use for the saw is to remove a downed animals Rack. As said earlier it a bonus the Wyoming is so handy with fire wood.
In terms of gutting we debone, so the saw isn't used for any applications with that.

ACE
07-13-2014, 06:42 PM
A Disston carpenter's finishing saw is what I have used for the last 25 years ..... 16" blade, wood handle, and fairly light. It hangs down inside the Trapper Nelson frame.

one-shot-wonder
07-13-2014, 11:56 PM
I just bought my sons Silky "pocket boy" from Lee Valley. These saws are made in Japan and are 7 ounces of hardcore cutting tool . Look them up at Silky saws
Silky folding saw is great! Light, strong, never comes unlocked. For a more efficient cut, I recommend taking the saw to the bench vice and spreading every second tooth a bit more to allow for larger chips to be thrown, never have your saw bind again!

BiG Boar
07-14-2014, 06:58 AM
AJJ people are just telling you if you're worried so much about weight to not bring a saw at all. It's not neccesary. Pack out a euro mount in a best case senario. If you're going somewhere that a saw is neccesary, then bring a saw. Saws are usually brought on hike in hunting trips by people who are really green. This is why people are questioning your gutting technique. Most beginners think you need a bone saw to split the pelvis and rib cage and spine. Gutless requires no saw.

BiG Boar
07-14-2014, 06:59 AM
Now, let's say you shoot a moose 7 kms back. Grab saw on your first trip back to the truck.

swampthing
07-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Now, let's say you shoot a moose 7 kms back. Grab saw on your first trip back to the truck.

You shoulda been with me for that advice!! I just couldn't leave that rack behind. The backstraps were in the pack too. I think I was secretly hoping a grizz would eat half of the meat before I could carry it out.

35rem
07-14-2014, 05:16 PM
If you want to go as light as possible get some fetotomy wire from a veterinarian. It is used to cut dead calves out of cows and also sometimes to dehorn cattle. Cuts really well and weighs next to nothing.

Fred1
07-18-2014, 07:00 PM
If you want to go as light as possible get some fetotomy wire from a veterinarian. It is used to cut dead calves out of cows and also sometimes to dehorn cattle. Cuts really well and weighs next to nothing.

Ok that looks like great stuff!! Had to goggle it! Going to try and track some down.