PDA

View Full Version : Spotting scopes, Trail cams

smallfry14
07-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Hello, new guy here. I've been looking at these forums for quite some time now and finally decided to register the other day. There's some awesome information on here, keep it coming guys:).

So I've been looking into getting a spotting scope but I really don't want to spend much more than $300. I've narrowed my options down to either the Nikon Prostaff or the Leopold SX-1 Ventana. I'll be using it to glass cut blocks and swamps, so I was just wondering which do you think would be better: straight or angled? I've never even used a spotting scope before so I have no idea which one would suit me best.

I'm also looking into getting a trail cam, but again am on quite a tight budget. Any suggestions on these?

Thanks in advance.

r106
07-12-2014, 04:27 PM
A straight spotting scope is easier and quicker to aim at specific object but in most cases a larger tri-pod is needed to comfortably glass for long periods. Angled will allow you to carry a smaller tri pod and to some people it's more comfortable to glass longer periods of time with it.

smallfry14
07-12-2014, 04:38 PM
Damn, that's a tough trade off. It seems to me if you were set up on a hill it would be easier to get set up comfortably with an angled scope. Think that's the case?

swampthing
07-13-2014, 08:28 AM
Angled are better for sure if you do a LOT of scope work. I mean for more than a half hour. Straight ones can be harder to "stay behind" for extended periods. I use mine mainly for getting a closer look after I spot an animal with my binos. I use a straight scope. Straight scopes are much easier to aim. Maybe buy a used scope of better quality . I believe the Nikon will be a better scope than the leupold you mentioned.

r106
07-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Damn, that's a tough trade off. It seems to me if you were set up on a hill it would be easier to get set up comfortably with an angled scope. Think that's the case?

Yes. Opinions vary but in general I think most people will agree that using a angled scope is more comfortable.

What is your intended use for the scope? Counting tines or aging sheep? Road hunting or back pack? In the price range your look at I would go with something in the 15-45x. I found with the cheaper scopes that 60X is almost useless as it's to blurry and impossible to focus.

If I were you I would forget the trail cams right now and up your budget for the scope.

.330 Dakota
07-13-2014, 11:33 AM
I have the Nikon Prostaff 20-60 and as far as clarity it is amazing. My friend has a Ziess and believe it or not the Nikon is clearer at 60x. Only downside to this scope is its size, its huge. If I were to do it again, it would look at the new Nikons that are smaller. Other than that, the glass is 1st rate and also waaay better than any Leupold spotter Ive looked through. (and Im a Leupold guy)
I would buy the Nikon in 15-45, you will be thrilled with that unit.:-D
Oh and yes, listen to the other guys as well,,buy the straight one.

Legi0n
07-13-2014, 12:34 PM
$300 is not a lot of money and good optics are not cheap.
Keep an eye on Camera Land. They often sell demo models at a discount.

smallfry14
07-13-2014, 12:37 PM
I'm going to be on quad/truck as far as it can take me and from there it'll be on foot with my backpack into cut blocks, burns stuff like that. I'm really considering getting into the alpine to do some hunting up there too. I'm going to set up in good vantage points and use this scope to spot game anywhere I can, so I'll be using it for long periods of time. I think I'm really going to take your suggestion and bump up my budget on the spotter instead of getting trail cams, those can wait till next year. I'm also going to go with the 15-45x like you said, I don't think I'll really need 60x and the 15-45x's are cheaper.

smallfry14
07-13-2014, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the advise man. I have read all over that Nikon has the better quality, I was just looking into the Leupold Ventana because it seemed to be the next best thing and can be found for cheaper.

smallfry14
07-13-2014, 12:40 PM
How is the shipping on that site though because it has to go across the border? On most other sites that shipping cost across the border makes it not even worth the cheaper price in the states.

smallfry14
07-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Angled are better for sure if you do a LOT of scope work. I mean for more than a half hour. Straight ones can be harder to "stay behind" for extended periods. I use mine mainly for getting a closer look after I spot an animal with my binos. I use a straight scope. Straight scopes are much easier to aim. Maybe buy a used scope of better quality . I believe the Nikon will be a better scope than the leupold you mentioned.

Yep that's what I'll be doing. I'm going with the angled scope, and like you said I'm going to put a bit more money into a higher quality one.

smallfry14
07-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Haha sorry guys, I'm still figuring this site out :mrgreen: I didnt realise what the "reply with quote" did until i had already replied to a few..

Legi0n
07-13-2014, 12:45 PM
How is the shipping on that site though because it has to go across the border? On most other sites that shipping cost across the border makes it not even worth the cheaper price in the states.
I usually pick stuff up south of the border for about $3.50 a parcel taking advantage of their free US shipping over $100.
That being said, I checked this:
Vortex Diamondback 20-60x60 angled $339US (demo)
Canada Shipping $35US

You might get dinged with 12% tax that you'd pay anyways if you buy in BC
Also you might get to pay $5 + 12%tax for customs inspection

Legi0n
07-13-2014, 12:51 PM
I purchased a really good Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 (demo) at Cameraland for $600US
It's small and light, perfect for backpacking.
Lifetime no questions asked warranty.

smallfry14
07-13-2014, 12:57 PM
I purchased a really good Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 (demo) at Cameraland for $600US
It's small and light, perfect for backpacking.
Lifetime no questions asked warranty.
That's a hell of a deal. What's the difference between demo models and the regular models? Also, do the ship by UPS? I'm from a small town so anything that ships by UPS stops at kamloops and all of a sudden there's an extra $100 for another courier service

Legi0n
07-13-2014, 01:26 PM
That's a hell of a deal. What's the difference between demo models and the regular models? Also, do the ship by UPS? I'm from a small town so anything that ships by UPS stops at kamloops and all of a sudden there's an extra $100 for another courier service

A demo model has been in the store for clients to touch and look through.
Prior to shipping, the demo item is cleaned and inspected.
On my copy there were no handling marks that I could see.
I can't tell much about the Canada shipping but you can go on their website and contact them with any questions.
They're a mom and pop store and quick to take care of you.

edit: I meant the demo model is a regular model that has been handled by customers in store.

smallfry14
07-13-2014, 02:03 PM
A demo model has been in the store for clients to touch and look through.
Prior to shipping, the demo item is cleaned and inspected.
On my copy there were no handling marks that I could see.
I can't tell much about the Canada shipping but you can go on their website and contact them with any questions.
They're a mom and pop store and quick to take care of you.

edit: I meant the demo model is a regular model that has been handled by customers in store.

Wow, that's awesome. Thanks a lot.

epicZERO74
07-13-2014, 02:36 PM
If your budget on trail cams is small, I would go with the Simmons 6mp Whitetail cam. If your budget is a little less tight go with a higher-end simmons or a stealth cam

.330 Dakota
07-13-2014, 07:34 PM
Dont let that fool ya,, I bought my spotter from Cameraland, great deal until I got the $170.00 customs broker fee invoice in the mail about 2 weeks later. It was UPS, and they will take you to court to get paid.
It was a total piss off, so now I have a mailbox in the USA.
If your buying Nikon, look around Canada,,dont order it from a USA supplier unless your going to go get it

bridger
07-13-2014, 08:47 PM
I have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours behind a spotting scope in the alpine. Here's what works for me. I use my spotter lots for prying into the nooks and crannies that aren't easily seen with bino's. I have used a a straight eyepiece almost exclusively. I find it faster and easier and more comfortable than an angle. It has been my experience that a good solid tripod is really important as well don't overlook that. When i glass for a prolonged period I sit down and raise the tripod to eye level and with the straight eye piece can easily and comfortably glass. Other guys like the angle, but this has served me well over the years. Be a good idea to try each one before buying.

smallfry14
07-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Dont let that fool ya,, I bought my spotter from Cameraland, great deal until I got the $170.00 customs broker fee invoice in the mail about 2 weeks later. It was UPS, and they will take you to court to get paid.
If your buying Nikon, look around Canada,,dont order it from a USA supplier unless your going to go get it

That's exactly what I was afraid of! I think I'm going to try Bass Pro, I've read some reviews and it looks like it comes via Canada post. Just curious, what spotter did you get?

r106
07-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Bridger has an excellent point about the tri pod. Don't over look getting a good one. They can cost a lot. But worth every penny

smallfry14
07-13-2014, 10:13 PM
I have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours behind a spotting scope in the alpine. Here's what works for me. I use my spotter lots for prying into the nooks and crannies that aren't easily seen with bino's. I have used a a straight eyepiece almost exclusively. I find it faster and easier and more comfortable than an angle. It has been my experience that a good solid tripod is really important as well don't overlook that. When i glass for a prolonged period I sit down and raise the tripod to eye level and with the straight eye piece can easily and comfortably glass. Other guys like the angle, but this has served me well over the years. Be a good idea to try each one before buying.

Thanks for the advise. Yeah, I've read that a solid tripod is a must especially on those higher magnifications. As for the straight vs angled, thanks for saying that! I was going to order an angled spotter tomorrow but I think now I'll wait for the weekend and check some out when we go to the city. It's hard to wait though, I'm itching to get out and get scouting :-?

smallfry14
07-13-2014, 10:16 PM
Bridger has an excellent point about the tri pod. Don't over look getting a good one. They can cost a lot. But worth every penny

Do you think there would be a huge difference between a $100 tripod and say one around $250 ? I'm only a student, trying to get all my gear with whatever I make on a summer job. Every I can save helps a ton.

smallfry14
07-13-2014, 10:30 PM
NOW one last question and then I think I'll be good. Do you guys figure the extra $100 is worth it for 80mm over the 60mm?

keoke
07-14-2014, 10:30 AM
Most people pay more money for lighter gear not heavier gear. I would opt for the 60mm.

Legi0n
07-14-2014, 07:34 PM

Out of curiosity, what was the $170 for?

.330 Dakota
07-14-2014, 07:45 PM
That's exactly what I was afraid of! I think I'm going to try Bass Pro, I've read some reviews and it looks like it comes via Canada post. Just curious, what spotter did you get?

I got the Nikon Prostaff, 20-60x80, its a big scope, but it is clear on 60x. I bought a rifle scope through Bass Pro, and yes they ship it through their Calgary store via Canada Post. Good deals too

.330 Dakota
07-14-2014, 07:46 PM
Out of curiosity, what was the $170 for?

They called it a Customs Broker fee,,I called it a scam

.330 Dakota
07-14-2014, 07:47 PM
NOW one last question and then I think I'll be good. Do you guys figure the extra $100 is worth it for 80mm over the 60mm?

Go with the smaller one. I didnt and I regret it. The Nikon is an excellent scope in any size, but hindsight told me to go smaller next time

smallfry14
07-15-2014, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna go with the Vortex Diamondback 20-60x by 60mm. It's just cheaper and seems easier to find.

r106
07-18-2014, 07:23 AM
Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna go with the Vortex Diamondback 20-60x by 60mm. It's just cheaper and seems easier to find.

In my opinion Any Vortex model under the Viper line sucks at 60x. I would go 45x. The quality of glass isn't good enough to use 60x

Legi0n
07-18-2014, 08:26 AM
Could be the glass or it could be the exit pupil that's only 1mm at 60x with a 60mm lens. That's not much at all. But the scope is variable zoom so I think it may be usable at lower magnification.

In my opinion Any Vortex model under the Viper line sucks at 60x. I would go 45x. The quality of glass isn't good enough to use 60x