PDA

View Full Version : 7-57 Bison in january any help would be much appreciated!

Elkaholic1977
07-11-2014, 10:11 PM
looks like we got our group draw 2 bison Jan 1-15 7-57 zone A. Any info and tips would be so greatly appreciated, never been that far north before come from the south ok a little help on what to expect and what to not forget. Where to stay where not to will be looking for a cabin to rent there are 4 in our party. hows that time of year for finding these monsters? travel snowmobile best? thanks guys we are pumped!

Elkaholic1977
07-11-2014, 10:13 PM
One other thing wolfs open as well are they plentiful any suggestions on what to bring for them as well? or just be a quick draw and always ready!

Iltasyuko
07-12-2014, 06:26 AM
That's a good draw date. It seems things vary from year to year as far as location of the animals but that should be a good time. I had the same draw in 2011. Yes, snow machine for January. Didn't see any wolves. We stayed at the blueberry cabins - I think prices have increased since then. PM any questions.

BiG Boar
07-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Do some reading on threads on here already. Lots of info. Search bison hunt. You will want to know what to bring, it's a very serious hunt in -40 conditions.

Rhyno
07-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Maybe I will see you there, our group pulled a shared hunt. Looking forward to getting the info package and then start some serious planning!

looks like we got our group draw 2 bison Jan 1-15 7-57 zone A. Any info and tips would be so greatly appreciated, never been that far north before come from the south ok a little help on what to expect and what to not forget. Where to stay where not to will be looking for a cabin to rent there are 4 in our party. hows that time of year for finding these monsters? travel snowmobile best? thanks guys we are pumped!

Darksith
07-14-2014, 09:53 AM
Weather will play a major factor. Be ready for extreme cold, be ready for machine breakdowns, enjoy the hunt. As stated, you are almost hunting for tracks or fresh sign, then get off and start following. Snow shoes are needed, they are all over there. One thing we should of done last year when we went in january...if its really slow and nothing seems to be moving in the valley from the ranch, don't hesitate to load up and spend a day to the south, but you gotta haul your machines around.

There is some thinking that you want to hunt the late part of the draw, but I think you need to plan to hunt the entire period if possible. If not able too there are 2 ways of thinking about it, first off the opening day the animals may have had a break from the pressure so they could be caught out in the open, or the later part of the hunt may see less hunters around because they have all left already...you choose which one makes the most sense to you.

Amphibious
07-14-2014, 10:12 AM
Flew that area quite a bit last january. Very cold. Very very very stupid cold. And wolves. Spent a large part of my day chasing them away from the seismic crews. The bison I saw were in small groups and always close to some dense timber. Look for fields where they've been digging for eats. They seem to be in the same places every morning.

did I mention the cold and wolves?

Bradshaw
07-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Hello Rhnyo. I was lucky enough to get the draw for Jan 16. What is the info package that you mentioned? Does every awarded draw get one or is this something separate?
Thanks!

Darksith
07-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Flew that area quite a bit last january. Very cold. Very very very stupid cold. And wolves. Spent a large part of my day chasing them away from the seismic crews. The bison I saw were in small groups and always close to some dense timber. Look for fields where they've been digging for eats. They seem to be in the same places every morning.

did I mention the cold and wolves?

december was the cold snap...-50. January it hit +12 and melted all the snow if you can freakin believe it. Anyway gotta plan for the cold, and pray you don't get +12. Don't just cruise the trails, but take the sled around the edges of the clearings looking for sign. Good tips Amp...

Skull Hunter
07-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Hello Rhnyo. I was lucky enough to get the draw for Jan 16. What is the info package that you mentioned? Does every awarded draw get one or is this something separate?
Thanks!

Yes, everyone who won the draw gets an info package from the govt. I believe it contains info about how to purchase your tag as well as maps of the area. I imagine there is more information in there as well, but we'll have to wait an see what come in the mail.

Darksith
07-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Thanks!
patience, you will get it...not that its worth a damn.

I have some pretty sweet maps from the forestry office...nice to have connections at the top. I would be willing to lend them out if anyone needs them. PM me if you do.

Skull Hunter
07-15-2014, 10:14 AM
patience, you will get it...not that its worth a damn.

I have some pretty sweet maps from the forestry office...nice to have connections at the top. I would be willing to lend them out if anyone needs them.

I might take you up on that? Or at least maybe get a photo copy? Are your maps for the A or B zone?

Darksith
07-15-2014, 11:08 AM
I might take you up on that? Or at least maybe get a photo copy? Are your maps for the A or B zone?

Maps are Zone A, They are pretty large, and color, not sure what that would cost at a print shop. One is a topo map, the other is an Ortho map (ariel photography). It will show most of the lower half of Zone B if memory serves me as well...