PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Lake, 5-15 C Moose Draw

JIL_24/7
07-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Hello Everyone,
I was fortunate enough to get a moose draw again for 5-15C and this year it is October 1-14. The last two years I have hunted the area around Ghost Lake for draws in both 5-15B and 5-15C. It is a beautiful area, but coming from the south it is a long way to travel. I have had great input in the past and will again this year from Srupp who is a great advocate for this site and for hunters in general, and I am hoping some others on here might have some insight into the terrain/moose hunting possibilities around Spanish Lake/Tasse Lake/Benny Lake because it is a much shorter drive when it is all said and done. It is a risk to go to a new area, but I am hoping it may be worth the risk. I would love to hear any opinions anyone might have about the area either on this thread or through private message. Also, if anyone has drawn 5-15 B or 5-15 C please contact me so I can pass along the same courtesy men like Srupp have shown me and help you in your hunt. My group has been successful in the area and I have put in many hours there. Thanks again everyone. Have a great weekend and happy hunting in the VERY near future!

white moose
07-11-2014, 01:14 PM
My brother and I had a draw in c and d. We went up the cariboo river with a boat and camped half way up. We had the sept 10 draw and hunted for five days, mainly drifting river. We saw one cow calf set and a small bull which my brother got. It was really hot that time last year. Not sure about other spots, but we parked at ladies creek campsite.

JIL_24/7
07-11-2014, 01:32 PM
What kind of boat did you have? I have a 12 foot inflatable but no motor at this time.

white moose
07-11-2014, 04:00 PM
We used a 18.5 ft jetboat and brought a zodiac with a six horse, for drifting down and running back up. I think there is 40 km between cariboo .and kimball lake. Very thick and marshy in there. Gotta love the silent drift. Not sure of water levle in oct.

srupp
07-11-2014, 04:00 PM
My brother and I had a draw in c and d. We went up the cariboo river with a boat and camped half way up. We had the sept 10 draw and hunted for five days, mainly drifting river. We saw one cow calf set and a small bull which my brother got. It was really hot that time last year. Not sure about other spots, but we parked at ladies creek campsite.

great info and accurate and helpful...

cheers
Steven

JIL_24/7
09-20-2014, 10:52 AM
Just bumping this up. Hoping to see if anyone might have some info on the Spanish Lake area. Otherwise, I will just head into the Ghost Lake area again. Thanks to all who have read and contributed. Successful hunting to all!

Jagermeister
09-20-2014, 11:01 AM
If it is warm, hunt high. The bulls will tend to stay up. If it is quite frosty and wintery, they will move in concert with the rut.
Don't forget your tire chains. You probably won't need them, but rather be safe than sorry.

jessbennett
09-20-2014, 09:25 PM
if you plan on staying at spanish, upper grain area is good. also black bear road is good as well. get across the river /creek on black bear road. will take you up into some nice blocks. upper grain has no shortage of g bears so keep an eye out. running the cariboo river as stated earlier may produce as well. i think it may be a bit early for the river, but there is some marshes and thickets off of the main river where you can beach and walk in.

srupp
09-20-2014, 10:06 PM
Hmmm know of 4 camps that will have hit your Ghost lake area prior to your hunt and the guide will have clients at ghost.
However you have the advantage of the prime rut..moose pee..good vantage and lots of calling..
SPANISH has unusual amount of bears this year...some grizzlies...
Cheers
Steven