PDA

View Full Version : Bull Moose LEH 7-23C

Wild_Dog
07-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Our foursome finally drew a shared hunt for 7-23C (Parsnip River). Already did a lot of research into this area prior to entering but would like to get some answers to things I am not quite clear on.

1) We are planning on sticking to the river in a 20' jet boat. We have never run the parsnip before and just want to make sure the river in this area is suitable to run in late September (last week of).

2) Is the best place to drop in the Anzac Crossing? Or should we drive further down. Looks like the turn off is just after Bear Lake.

3) Meat Locker: Is there a cooler in Mackenzie or Bear Lake?

4) Base camp set up: Most likely will be focused near the Homanka or Table River. Thoughts on suitable places and the ability to hunt the river on foot from these locations?

Feel free to PM if you prefer.

Thanks!

Cali
07-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Good launch by old Anzac camp, meat locker in PG is closer than Mackenzie. Better camp spots by Table vs Hominka. End of September should be plenty cool enough to hang meat...

crazy_canuck
07-14-2014, 08:45 AM
we scored a drawing in zone B and will also be taking up a 21 jet boat probably the same time - late september. maybe we'll bump into eachother.

Wild_Dog
07-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys. Good info! So pumped for this trip!

Wild_Dog
07-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Think the rut will be just starting last week of Sept? Also: how is the elk population along the Parsnip?

Rhyno
07-14-2014, 09:56 AM
All the elk hunting I have done in the peace was around the 3rd week of sept and the moose seemed to be rutting. It was usually pretty easy to call in a bull in search for the elusive spike fork or tri palm.

Boner
07-14-2014, 06:54 PM
No elk along there. Good camping 10 mins from Anzac launch at Tacheeda Lakes. Takes a long time to get from the Holminka to the Table watersheds, you'll have to concentrate on one or the other. By truck that is, not sure about boating as I don't have one. You will only be able to hunt the East side of the Parsnip as it's used as the dividing line with 7-16 I think it is...
I'm up there often.

moosinaround
07-14-2014, 07:21 PM
Hunted 7-23C all spring for G bears. Parsnip River is a pretty good river for a 20'. Table and the Hominka are 2 seperate areas. The road that shows they connect on the maps is no longer even 4WDable. River is hunted hard by jetboaters, as 7-16 and 7-23 moose hunters use it at the same time of the year as the Parsnip is the boundary. You can get off the river by foot, it is a jungle though. Base camp could be set up at the launch, I am not sure if there are good bars to set up on off the river, but the Table river might be a stretch for a 20' jetboat, the Hominka you probably could do. There is a good camp site way up the hominka only 10m off the river, but aldered and willowed in from the 1300 rd. We did see a few good moose up there this spring way up the upper Hominka, one a spike fork ill bet, and the other a good size bull. It will be an awesome adventure, in some beautiful country. PM me if you like and we can talk further. Moosinaround

Doublelung
07-14-2014, 08:26 PM
I hunted 7-23a last year. There wolves and wolves and g bear and wolves. Oh ya did I mention wolves? There is a few moose but there few and far between. There's elk up in a zone just up in the first bench above the river. Seen lots of young bulls but no confirmed 6's. Your moose started calling right around the 18 and I dumped a bull on the 19th. Seen a few after but nobody in my hunting party managed to shoot.

Wild_Dog
09-02-2014, 01:14 PM
So attempted a little scouting trip to check out the river. Didn't have much time and actually didn't make it to Anzac camp. Turned off at the road about 14km past Bear Lake but the road was washed out with a sign indicating to take the 700 or 800 road. I couldn't find any indication of which road was which. Drove down a couple but never seemed to be headed the right direction. Went back to Bear Lake and tried to find my way to the bridge near the Hominka river. Once again...to many choices and I couldn't figure out which was the correct road. Ended up on the 7000? road but ran out of time before I had to head home. Is this the correct road? Anyone have some specific instructions on how to drive to the Hominka and if it is possible to launch a jetboat there.

Thanks

358jess
09-03-2014, 12:59 PM
You have to take the turn off on the price George side of bear lake where the old Winton global mill is go past the mill sight stick left where the first y is then right at second one I believe to stay on the chuchinka. Then left over a bridge to get to tacheeda

Wild_Dog
09-03-2014, 01:22 PM
great...thanks. Got a route created on google earth that looks like it will work. Save as a .kmz and load it into the GPS.

mooze
09-03-2014, 05:45 PM
You have to take the turn off on the price George side of bear lake where the old Winton global mill is go past the mill sight stick left where the first y is then right at second one I believe to stay on the chuchinka. Then left over a bridge to get to tacheeda
2nd that, basically the southern approach to Tacheeda lake, road was good in spring.
Did some G-bear hunting in spring 2013 in 23c, basically it is driving one road and scanning the clear cuts on the Table drainge, similar on the Homininka. I think ( and hope) the Homininka river will be way to shallow for Jet boats, you just don't know how much spawning habitat and fry you guys are destroying in these small rivers. If you were taking a canoe and drifting the river all good karma to you!

moosinaround
09-03-2014, 06:24 PM
PM me, I'll help ya out! Moosin

3006pg
09-03-2014, 10:41 PM
PM me, I'll help ya out! Moosin
Do it! Moosin knows his moose and more importantly knows that area !;)

Wild_Dog
09-04-2014, 08:55 AM
PM sent....Thanks gents.