PDA

View Full Version : Moose Hunting in the North Okanagan in November?

SPILTZ
07-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Hey everyone,

Well I managed to scoop up a Bull moose draw in 8-23 for November, and am curious as to the moose numbers out there, Ive done a little bit of research already reading other threads/post from a couple years ago and it seemed like things were getting tough to find the moose in that area. The one plus I read was that mulies and whities are around which is great. With this being my first winning LEH draw for me, I would go and scout the area but I work in camp and my wifes 7 months preggo and due at the end September, so I'm not really allowed to venture too far away until after the baby is born, so any tips or advice on what to expect in November would be great. Not looking for spots, more or less, just weather conditions, terrain, quad or snowmobile ?
Thanks in Advance to any replies
Cheers

Spiltz

Dirty Steve
07-11-2014, 06:10 AM
Slim pickings i would say. Stick around the lakes, I would set up at Nicklen and venture from there. You should be allright on a quad but you'll be pretty close to getting some good dumps of snow.

Liveforthehunt
07-11-2014, 06:28 AM
Pm me and ill send you in the right direction lots of moose people don't realize shouldn't be hard to fill that tag ..... Nickelen too busy ..... Just a hint sugar

boxhitch
07-11-2014, 07:50 AM
it seemed like things were getting tough to find the moose in that area.You found some typical interweb info , so take it for what you paid for it . Some areas have more moose now than ever.
Nicklen area has more habitat than Sugar imo

Liveforthehunt
07-11-2014, 08:06 AM
You found some typical interweb info , so take it for what you paid for it . Some areas have more moose now than ever.
Nicklen area has more habitat than Sugar imo

Here's some interweb info last year 4 of my friends got that draw 3 of the 4 shot moose I have choreographic maps from a few years back showing moose populations from fish and wildlife highest in that region is sugar then grizzly swamps area right to the border ....let's just say we have taken our fair share of immatures in that region 2 last year and several more since in the past 9 years another down side to nickelen is the hunting pressure just pm me Im more than willing to help !

liambobbi
07-11-2014, 09:49 AM
I don't think u will have problem I've found it easy to find bulls in early nov just do what the other guys have said find habitat (Google earth could be your best friend) swamp Systems ,lakes and older logging slashes all in the same area find sign get off the road and walk and be ready cause it will happen fast I think the biggest key is getting away from all the Okanagan road hunters and putting your self were the moose are (sounds obvious)good luck.

Fisher-Dude
07-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Nicklen has a large wolf pack so be prepared for scattered, skittish animals late in the season. Bull:cow wasn't particularly high in the last count if I recall correctly but there are indeed moose around. Also, a set of chains is a must for November hunts in that area. It can be really slick some days

I would probably stick to the Sugar side. Nicklen only has so much in 23 as it borders 10 so access is a bit limited. You'll have to put on miles to find them in late November.

savagecanuck
07-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Come Nov1 st they get way harder too find.At least you got a draw I got F all again.I would start scouting from Oct 15 till nov 1st that way you'll have a better idea of where they are hanging around.

thick
07-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Lots of moose in that MU, good draw to get. Send me a pm close to your hunting plan dates and I will try and give you some tips. I work in the bush in the north ok and can usually provide some help.

cheers

SPILTZ
08-18-2014, 04:23 PM
Hey is it worth taking a small boat/canoe?

Steelpulse
08-18-2014, 05:02 PM
I would say yes take bboat or canoe what ever is better for you, there are moose everywhere, my bet would be exactly as stated above, swamp lake creek river systems, and hope for a little snow and track, that's how. I like to do. Things buut don't hesitate to call a little and glass and just wander the woods, should be able to find one cooperating bull

SPILTZ
08-18-2014, 09:14 PM
Thanks steelpulse, my hunting partners and I are starting to plan more seriously now as we have our dates picked, just starting to plan out which vehicles and such to take, and where exactly to go as there seems to be a lot of good area in that whole region.