PDA

View Full Version : Moose in 5-01

Grizz the Gooser
07-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Lads,

I've been lucky enough to draw a 5-01 Moose tag (last couple weeks of Sept.) with a couple buddies as a group. I hear there's some decent mullie action up that way as well.

I'm a Northern Ontario boy, used to calling in wetland anywhere near the rutt, and pushing cuts outside the rut. Anyone know if the last week of Sept is likely to be the rutt in that neck of the woods? Similarly, anyone have any suggested strategy for my hunt? I'd be comfortable setting up on wetland and calling, but I don't want to just assume that this will work because it does where I used to hunt. Would cut hunting be a better bet?

Also, I've killed a lot of White Tail by just stalking cuts right after legal light, and pushing the sides and fingers between cut roads: is this an accepted strategy for mullies up in 5-01 region? in BC at all?? Alternatively??

Suggestions and feed back much appreciated!

Cpl_Punishment
07-12-2014, 08:31 AM
I'm 5-02B and have the same moose questions.

.330 Dakota
07-12-2014, 09:04 AM
What part of Northern Ont? Im from North Bay

f350ps
07-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Sept.25th and 26th has been very good to me over the years with most Bulls called in and most of them in Reg.5. K

LupieHunter
07-12-2014, 12:00 PM
We had a moose draw in 5-02b a few years ago, first 2 weeks of Oct. watch the moon phases. When we went the moon phases were wrong (we didn't think to check before we went) and the animals were nocturnal. Feeding at night in the moonlight and obsolete during the day. I believe early October is the rut. Also an FYI there's lots of wolves in the region, especially in 5-02b.

LupieHunter
07-12-2014, 12:02 PM
And in regards to the deer, yes there are some great mule deer up there. Also more and more whitetails. Like I said before, beware of the wolves. They're wrecking havoc on the ungulates and free range cattle. There's also free range cattle in 5-02b, or at least there was when we hunted there.

pmj
07-15-2014, 12:45 AM
Here you go. PM sent.