PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Hunting Around Hope

heatherdaddy
07-10-2014, 08:37 AM
I am new to hunting wolves and would like to know if anybody has any hints and tips on where to find them and how to hunt them in Region 2 around Hope or Region 3 around Hope. I am open to any suggestions as like I said I am new to wolf Hunting.
Thanks

Ferenc
07-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Boston Bar

Good2bCanadian
07-10-2014, 12:49 PM
70 mile house

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x415/mikesmith7/Hunting/c4303d25.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/mikesmith7/media/Hunting/c4303d25.jpg.html)

Scuba_Dave
07-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Do you use just squeak calls to get them to come out?

Good2bCanadian
07-10-2014, 12:56 PM
I was using a rabbit in distress in May for bears. Was quite surprised when this trotted in.

chris
07-10-2014, 12:56 PM
I don't think that you want to be hunting wolves around hope in region 2 as they are not open.

Good2bCanadian
07-10-2014, 12:57 PM
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x415/mikesmith7/Hunting/DSCF0780.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/mikesmith7/media/Hunting/DSCF0780.jpg.html)

Scuba_Dave
07-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the tip G2C. Always wanted to try and take a wolf. Might give it a shot in September :)

adriaticum
07-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Go to wolftracker.ca and find out where they have been seen or shot.

Good2bCanadian
07-10-2014, 01:31 PM
I consider it a fluke encounter, but I did drop it at 225 yards freehand. I was pretty stoked to say the least.

Scuba_Dave
07-10-2014, 01:34 PM
I consider it a fluke encounter, but I did drop it at 225 yards freehand. I was pretty stoked to say the least.

No no no no you are supposed to claim to be a master of wolf slaying :D :p

Scuba_Dave
07-10-2014, 01:35 PM
And ya I would be stoked too...I have only ever seen 3 wolves and it was this year all at the same time in a school yard down here south island lol So to see one with a rifle in my hands would make me pretty stoked too :)

Slinky Pickle
07-10-2014, 02:08 PM
I killed a wolf a few years ago as it wandered by a forestry camp near Clinton. I was so shocked to see it there that I actually gave a whistle to see if I could get it to turn towards me so I could check for a collar. No collar... one less wolf.

I tell my kids that all I really did was make the wolf gene pool stronger by taking out a stupid one.

Good2bCanadian
07-10-2014, 02:26 PM
That's kinda what I thought as well Slinky. I got a dumb one.

We came back the next day and fresh wolf tracks where on the road, as well one took a dump right where I shot it.
It took less than 30hrs and the carcass was consumed to bones.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x415/mikesmith7/Hunting/DSCF0774.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/mikesmith7/media/Hunting/DSCF0774.jpg.html)

I shot a tad high, but it did the job.

heatherdaddy
07-10-2014, 03:32 PM
I guess I should have read the regs more carefully, Region 2 in Hope is closed, so I will have to hit region 3 for them.

olympia
07-10-2014, 08:17 PM
I saw wolf tracks and possibly scat up Psayten FSR which happens to be in a town called Eastgate. When you drive thru Hope turn onto Crowsnest and after about 40 minutes you will reach Eastgate, you will see a gas station on your right and about a 1km past it you will see a gravel road on your right, when you get to the fork stay left and after about 25 mins you will start seeing wolf tracks in the mud.

Wentrot
07-10-2014, 08:29 PM
I saw wolf tracks and possibly scat up Psayten FSR which happens to be in a town called Eastgate. When you drive thru Hope turn onto Crowsnest and after about 40 minutes you will reach Eastgate, you will see a gas station on your right and about a 1km past it you will see a gravel road on your right, when you get to the fork stay left and after about 25 mins you will start seeing wolf tracks in the mud.

Really threading a needle on the manning borders there.

Lastcar
07-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Really threading a needle on the manning borders there.

Agreed. You'd want to have a GPS with the park boundary marked to be certain.

Funny enough we were out gathering firewood recently I saw a group of trees that were a dream to fall and load. Something didn't add up. Knew we were near a provincial park but wasnt sure how close. Opened the GPS with the backroads map card in it. And sure enough the trees were just inside the park. Dead of course but inside the park none the less.

Two weeks later 7 of them down. To be fair the park is not marked at that point, so I suppose if you didn't know you didn't know.

Long story short...very easy to slip into the parks when along the borders in the back country and not know.

That is also assuming Manning is one of the parks you are not allowed to hunt in...I'm too lazy to check that aspect. But also not the guy potentially hunting there so I can remain lazy. :)

UPDATE: I am less lazy than I thought...not by much...used the Hunting Buddy App on my phone that was in reach and sure enough it seems 2-1 (Manning Park) has no season for any species. So you'd want to be careful of that boundary. I say appears cause I have learned with the regs is there is few absolutes and I didn't go through with a fine tooth comb. But sure seemed to be a no go period.

olympia
07-10-2014, 11:33 PM
im pretty sure its just outside manning park, the turn off to Psayten FSR is well past the last Manning Park gate. And if you stick to the spur roads heading east it should keep out of Manning Park and no there is no hunting permitted in the Park

Lucky77_
07-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Wolves in hope, there were a bunch of half breeds let go up the Skagit. Go to the the big stump and turn right. There is at least 4 in there. There is also a large pack that runs the power line from Spuzzum to Harrison. When the snow falls they follow the deer to the lower elevations. Like fish in a barrel for them. It's only a matter of time till they end up on the west Harrison and get in to the elk. There was one hit by a train on the back side of Harrison bay a few years back as well. don't know where it came from though