PDA

View Full Version : Campbell River fishing the best in many years

Ozone
07-09-2014, 07:10 PM
http://www.courierislander.com/news/local/campbell-river-fishing-the-best-in-many-years-1.1199532

Campbell River is experiencing its best fishing in years. That's the word from weigh scales, lodges and tackle shops as the extraordinary angling has the city abuzz. "It's fantastic," said Duane Mustard of Painter's Lodge. "There are lots of fish and big fish are also coming. We had a 40 -pounder the other day and a couple of others in the high 30s." Mustard said a key indication for the great fishing is the amount of herring being found in fishing areas and in fish being taken. "It really speaks of a healthy environment and the fish numbers certainly proves it," he said. Both main tackle stores in Campbell River agree with Mustard. "I haven't had a chance to get out much, but anecdotally and by all other accounts it's probably the best fishing in 18 years," said Murray Whelan of Tyee Marine. River Sportsman General Manager Dan Drover said this year is even better than last. "It was great last year, especially in June, so we figured it would be hard to beat, but this year is just amazing," he said. "We have people coming in one day to buy downriggers and they come in the next day smiling because they limited out." Both said the new regulation allowing the retention of one wild coho has also added big time to the year so far. "Last year was kind of a bench mark year," said Whelan. "And this year is proving more consistent, with great fishing at various locations."

ncameron@courierislander.com © Campbell River Courier Islander

adriaticum
07-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Good to know.

fuzzybiscuit
08-27-2014, 06:42 PM
8 sockeye in the tub by 8:00 am this morning. This is the latest in the season that I've seen good sockeye fishing in a long time. Decent size at between 6 and 8 pounds.

longstonec
08-27-2014, 07:40 PM
My uncle lives and fishes in and around Campbell River and he may be first to say that the stories of fish are greatly exaggerated.

"Possibly one or two are returning to spawn and as such everybody should go fish somewhere else and ignore my smoker and generally just buzz off"

Sorry, Dont shoot the messenger

Phreddy
08-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Belonged to the C.R. Salmon Fishing Guides Ass'n back in the'70s and noticed one hell of a decline in the herring population when the commercial boys started harvesting roe from the kelp beds up there and a resultant serious decline in salmon shortly afterwards. Glad to see that they're coming back.

BiG Boar
08-27-2014, 10:57 PM
Some how I think that the fish farms are to blame for this. I wish things would go back to normal, and people would just stay out of the water.

fuzzybiscuit
08-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Some how I think that the fish farms are to blame for this. I wish things would go back to normal, and people would just stay out of the water.

It's a good thing we have environmentalists like Alexandra Morton making the fish farms clean up their act and holding them accountable for the damage to wild fish stocks that they have caused in the past. If it were not for the likes of her the greedy fish farm conglomerates, like Marine Harvest, would surely have wiped out the wild salmon stocks by now.

7 more Socks and a ten pound Coho in the tub by 8:00 this morning. Thanks again Alexandra!

Peter Pepper
08-28-2014, 02:43 PM
It's a good thing we have environmentalists like Alexandra Morton making the fish farms clean up their act and holding them accountable for the damage to wild fish stocks that they have caused in the past. If it were not for the likes of her the greedy fish farm conglomerates, like Marine Harvest, would surely have wiped out the wild salmon stocks by now.

7 more Socks and a ten pound Coho in the tub by 8:00 this morning. Thanks again Alexandra!

Alexandra Morton makes up pure B.S. She seems to switch from cause to cause depending on what's the current trend.
She has no concept of proper scientific process, such as sample size.
Propaganda, pure and simple. Less scientific than David Suzuki.
Maybe fish farms are bad, I don't know if they are or not, therefore I wouldn't consider eating a farmed fish.
But, just as many other activists when you don't use science you just discredit your cause in the eyes of those who expect real analysis.
Oh and in the interest of full disclosure, I've never had anything to do with fish farms, however I have sold products to A Morton for her so called studies. And she was one of the more unpleasant and arrogant customers I've dealt with. Maybe because I didn't let on I knew who she was.

fuzzybiscuit
08-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Alexandra Morton makes up pure B.S. She seems to switch from cause to cause depending on what's the current trend.
She has no concept of proper scientific process, such as sample size.
Propaganda, pure and simple. Less scientific than David Suzuki.
Maybe fish farms are bad, I don't know if they are or not, therefore I wouldn't consider eating a farmed fish.
But, just as many other activists when you don't use science you just discredit your cause in the eyes of those who expect real analysis.
Oh and in the interest of full disclosure, I've never had anything to do with fish farms, however I have sold products to A Morton for her so called studies. And she was one of the more unpleasant and arrogant customers I've dealt with. Maybe because I didn't let on I knew who she was.

You don't really believe all this rubbish that you spew? Nothing but pure slander.

d6dan
08-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Ozone, did they open it for farmed fish?.:wink:

fuzzybiscuit
08-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Come on D6Dan, this is my fishing spot!

d6dan

Right on Fuzzybuscuit.

d6dan

haha. Only if your an employee buddy. :-D

d6dan
08-28-2014, 04:28 PM

Actually, I wouldn't eat one of those farmed fish if you gave it me. My dog would turn his snout to it. :wink: He likes real fish.

d6dan
08-28-2014, 04:31 PM
What gets me is some people are all for farmed fish, yet they like to hunt for clean organic meat?. What's with that?.:-?

fuzzybiscuit
08-28-2014, 04:38 PM
I wasn't lying about the great Sockeye fishing north of Campbell river right now; it is amazing especially for so late in the season.

I may have not represented my exact feeling towards Alexandra Morton in a previous post though. Bad me. On the up side I did get one bite although it appears he spat the hook.

d6dan
08-28-2014, 04:43 PM
I wasn't lying about the great Sockeye fishing north of Campbell river right now; it is amazing especially for so late in the season.

I may have not represented my exact feeling towards Alexandra Morton in a previous post though. Bad me. On the up side I did get one bite although it appears he spat the hook.

I have enough frozen. Solid year no doubt. The fish changed course and decided on the Inside passage. Intel from a Fisheries friend.

Salty
08-28-2014, 09:04 PM
It's a good thing we have environmentalists like Alexandra Morton!

The one who predicted the extinction of the Fraser sockeye and that pinks were already beyond a critical point of no return and would be extinct in two years about 5 years ago? Ya, its a real good thing we have her alright. You believers should send her more money she's on a roll.

fuzzybiscuit
08-28-2014, 09:09 PM
The one who predicted the extinction of the Fraser sockeye and that pinks were already beyond a critical point of no return and would be extinct in two years about 5 years ago? Ya, its a real good thing we have her alright. You believers should send her more money she's on a roll.

Well...it appears that I've got another one taking a nibble...take it...take it...

Salty
08-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Day-um... just seeing her name gets me going and off my game. lol

fuzzybiscuit
08-28-2014, 09:35 PM
Day-um... just seeing her name gets me going and off my game. lol

Ha Ha...I feel the same way Salty.

I must say that Ozone has done very well not to bite. I guess that I've dangled the bait one to many times in front of him and he knows better.

I've got a good friend thats a sea lice counter for Marine Harvest and I like to give him the gears also. I'm not a real fan of fish farms but only because a couple have been placed in areas that I traditionally fished and had pretty much to myself. I've seen nothing that proves that fish farms are destroying wild salmon stocks. In the end everyone needs a job and fish farms supply a need that would have to be filled by wild salmon if there was no farms. As far as recking my favourite fishing spots...I've gotten over it and in the big scheme of things it's really a moot point.

Ozone
08-28-2014, 09:50 PM
I was actually talking to her a few weeks ago. I asked her why she wasn't up the Fraser trying to spin the tailing pond disaster on the salmon farmers, lol, she said she was just on her way. She did take about another 5 min of vid of me staring at her and being polite. I think that pisses her off most as she never sticks around when I do that :)

fuzzybiscuit
08-28-2014, 09:56 PM
Should have asked her about the new house she's building up in the Broughtons. I wonder how many trees were cut down to clear the land...

We all have some sort of impact on the environment.

Ozone
08-28-2014, 10:15 PM
Lorne Parker probably bought it for her

fuzzybiscuit
08-29-2014, 09:13 PM
A little slower in Deep Water Bay this morning. 6 Sockeye by 7:30 then the bite seemed to slow down and it took us 2 more hours to land the 7th fish. We then switched over to Chinook gear and at 11:30 we landed a chunky 14 pound Spring.

fuzzybiscuit
09-04-2014, 02:52 PM
When will it end? 7 more Socks in the boat this morning. Left one to go as I'm going to smack a big Smiley in the pool tonight.:)

steel_ram
09-04-2014, 02:59 PM
When will it end? 7 more Socks in the boat this morning. Left one to go as I'm going to smack a big Smiley in the pool tonight.:)

8 Tyee's registered so far this year. Good luck with that.

fuzzybiscuit
09-04-2014, 03:16 PM
8 Tyee's registered so far this year. Good luck with that.

The pool has been dismal at best this year so I'll take all the luck I can get steel ram.