PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Tents

Moe.JKU
07-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Does anyone have experience with Tarptent tents? They seem to be the choice in the backpacking community, however I was wondering if anyone here has used them or seen them. They look really light and come in at 1.7lbs.

This is the one that i am looking at specifically.
http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html

If you have used one or seen one in person let me know what you think about it.

Iron Sighted
07-11-2014, 12:12 AM
I have a Tarptent Moment. I like it a lot, i'd like to try the Tarptent Rainbow at somepoint as well. I have no experience with the Contrail, but it is one of the older models, you can get newer ones that are much quicker and easier to set up and have an inner mesh to keep bugs out. I have also heard that the Contrails really need some consideration for pitching in to the wind.

Tons of info on the backpackinglight.com forums on these and many other lightweight tents.

leadpillproductions
07-11-2014, 12:27 AM
Some nice lookin tents

Moe.JKU
07-11-2014, 07:19 AM
I have a Tarptent Moment. I like it a lot, i'd like to try the Tarptent Rainbow at somepoint as well. I have no experience with the Contrail, but it is one of the older models, you can get newer ones that are much quicker and easier to set up and have an inner mesh to keep bugs out. I have also heard that the Contrails really need some consideration for pitching in to the wind.

Tons of info on the backpackinglight.com forums on these and many other lightweight tents.

The contrail does have a mesh screen from the floor to the walls. As well under the vestibule where you enter. I may look at others to compare as well, Just wanted to go with a budget friendly one for now and if i want to upgrade i will to a 2 man tent later.

Stresd
07-11-2014, 07:26 AM
I have the Stratospire 2 and can not say enough good things about it. Took a real weather pounding on my last sheep trip and handled everything thrown at it with no problem. Excellent design and quality. And the Tarptent designer/ Owner, Henry is a pleasure to deal with.

Iron Sighted
07-11-2014, 12:10 PM
I'll second that Henry is a stand up guy to deal with. Nice to be able to talk to the owner of the company when you have questions.

bc sportsman
07-12-2014, 12:41 AM
Has anyone run into a situation in the alpine where they couldn't properly stake out their tent because too rocky etc? Wondering if a self supporting tent would be a better bet. I have no experience in camping in the alpine so trying to learn.

300mag
07-13-2014, 04:07 PM
I have an MSR Twinpeaks. It's similar in design with no floor. I have taken it on many sheep and goat hunts. Condensation can be an issue. So use the prevailing wind in you favor to get air flow, this keeps the condensation down. I have used it in complete rock surroundings with no issues. Just use rocks to lash it down rather than pegs. One suggestion I have is to get really good trekking poles. In a good wind we had my partners poles fail. But we never had issue with my poles, black diamond carbon ultras.

Brent
07-16-2014, 12:09 AM
I have a double rainbow works great so far, used it in the winter down to -15 on the mountain and no issues whatsoever, the fact that you can pitch it with trekking poles is a huge plus too

mod7rem
07-17-2014, 10:44 PM
It all depends what you want out of your tent. I had a double rainbow and the quality was good , price was right and weight was right. Its a tight fit for two, perfect for one with some gear but there is a trade off. I used it on a stone sheep hunt in mid to late august one year and I found it to be way to ventilated. What I find important in a mountain tent is shelter, even in the mountains in august the evening temps can get in the single digits, add a breeze and you find yourself having to be zipped up tight in your sleeping bag in order to be warm but that doesnt mean your comfortable. If youre waiting out bad weather for a day or two you probably wont be lounging on top of your bag reading a book because of the cold wind blowing through your tent and taking any heat with it. Extremely light usually means high ventilation and that reduces sheltering and needed comfort for recovering. Since 2009 on our sheep hunts we've mostly been using a golite SL 5 which is very light and handles weather or a hilleberg nallo gt. More weight with the hilleberg but the sheltering capabilities are way more flexible than a tarptent and can be worth the extra weight. I use a titanium goat cylinder stove with the golite so I have a large, heated shelter at under 5 pounds.

mudbud
07-18-2014, 09:35 AM
I had one, they are a quality made tent. I had the stratospire I believe, it was one of the bigger ones for 2 plus people. I ended up selling it as it was awkward to setup. The one you are looking at looks like it would be easy. They are well priced for what you get.

Have a look at zpacks hexamed tents, that is my solo tent, it is amazing. All in with pegs is right at a pound, lots of room for 1 guy and gear.

Moe.JKU
07-18-2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks for all your reviews and help. I will have to look into those z pack tents as well. I'm looking for a minimal setup that is somewhat sturdy. Cheers, Moe

Brambles
08-10-2014, 10:40 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?23868-New-Lightweight-Shelter-**WITH-PICS**/page3&highlight=Tarptent+brambles