PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Goat Hunt - Advice

bangbangkhan
07-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Hello...I am fairly new to hunting but mountain goats have always been one of my most desired hunt plus a big horn sheep one day...i have read couple of really adventurous threads regarding them here and that just makes me want to do it more. I put in my name for 3-16 LEH and it was a success :-D....it would be nice if any once could share some info for this region as I have not hunted there in the past and also any tips and advice regarding mountain goats behavior.

Cheers!

Kami
07-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Hello...I am fairly new to hunting but mountain goats have always been one of my most desired hunt plus a big horn sheep one day...i have read couple of really adventurous threads regarding them here and that just makes me want to do it more. I put in my name for 3-16 LEH and it was a success :-D....it would be nice if any once could share some info for this region as I have not hunted there in the past and also any tips and advice regarding mountain goats behavior.

Cheers!

Congrats dude! This is an incredible area to hunt goats. Having never been there, if possible I highly recommend pre-season scouting. Now. If possible. PM me, I may have some info to share.

bangbangkhan
07-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks mate!

khoffnbud
07-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Google earth is your friend.

bangbangkhan
07-09-2014, 04:24 PM
yeah i have been looking at that...how about the bakroad topo map...i hear it has the mu listed and routes on it as well...

Wild one
07-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Which zone?

bangbangkhan
07-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Which zone?

Zone is 3-16

Wild one
07-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Zone is 3-16

Yes, MU 3-16 but what zone a, b, c ...?

Goat draws are broken up into zones in 316 not the whole MU

fourbyfourtoy
07-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Hey guys I also got a goat draw in 3-16G. I camped there last year but we didn't go far in. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

bangbangkhan
07-09-2014, 08:44 PM
So it's 3-16 and Zone A

Wild one
07-10-2014, 05:56 AM
Sorry zone a and g are not the zones I know well

bangbangkhan
07-10-2014, 01:21 PM
any one hunt near kha lake? will that be a good starting point to get into 3-16 Zone A?

alaskahun
07-10-2014, 10:12 PM
yes .its MU 3-16
Lillooet - Cayoosh Creek Road
Good logging main runs through 3-16 along Cayoosh Creek. comes out on Lillooet Lake near Mt Currie, Fair mule deer, mountain goat from logging roads.

Stalking Tips
1) Always come in from above them when possible. They very rarely look up and even when they do see you they are more curious than scared when approached from above.
2) NEVER let them see you from below. If you want to see a big Billy climb into the cliffs in a matter of seconds, than this would be the way to do it.
3) Try and make your approach when the goat has bedded. This is not a must, but it won’t hurt either.
4) When you’re planning the route for your approach, try to get a good idea of the goats escape route. If you bump them a little they generally don’t go very far and you may be able to catch them with a little proactive movement.
5) NEVER shoot them in the cliffs! If they die in there, the chances of getting them out are not as good as you falling down. The other issue with the “cliff shot” is the good possibility that they will fall several hundred feet after the shot and break their horns or damage meat.

bangbangkhan
07-11-2014, 12:12 AM
Thank you so much for confirming that. It's like Christmas in July :)

MRP
07-11-2014, 06:33 AM
Must read book, A beast the color of winter..

Kami
07-11-2014, 06:41 AM
This is a help for us Newbs. I too am in 3-16. I have been in there scouting and found goats. Looking at where I was and where I saw them on Google Earth the goats were at 10,000 ft. I was at 8,000 ft. They were sky-lined above me. It is going to be hard to sneak up on them from above them if I run into that again. My understanding is goats generally rise early and eat. By mid day they are bedded down in the sun chewing their cud. Generally a south facing slope. Is this correct? Even in the early to mid Sept heat in 3-16?

I guess lots of miles to hike around them may be necessary. A spotting scope and carefully executed plan, make take all day or days to hike to them. If they are letting out 16 goats in one sub zone every year in 3-16, I am going to have to assume there are plenty back there at 10,000 ft.

What about Grizzly? If I recall the tree line ended at about 7500 ft where I was. If I carry on, hiking up to 8, 9, or 10K ft will they not be in this area? If I set up a tent and sleep at this elevation where there are no trees, what is the safest thing to do with my food and pack? I cannot tie it up in a tree. Sleeping in a tent with a shorty 12 ga with a few slugs, 00 shot, a bright LED flashlight and a bowie knife seems logical.
Thx for the tips.

Wild one
07-11-2014, 06:54 AM
This is a help for us Newbs. I too am in 3-16. I have been in there scouting and found goats. Looking at where I was and where I saw them on Google Earth the goats were at 10,000 ft. I was at 8,000 ft. They were sky-lined above me. It is going to be hard to sneak up on them from above them if I run into that again. My understanding is goats generally rise early and eat. By mid day they are bedded down in the sun chewing their cud. Generally a south facing slope. Is this correct? Even in the early to mid Sept heat in 3-16?

I guess lots of miles to hike around them may be necessary. A spotting scope and carefully executed plan, make take all day or days to hike to them. If they are letting out 16 goats in one sub zone every year in 3-16, I am going to have to assume there are plenty back there at 10,000 ft.

What about Grizzly? If I recall the tree line ended at about 7500 ft where I was. If I carry on, hiking up to 8, 9, or 10K ft will they not be in this area? If I set up a tent and sleep at this elevation where there are no trees, what is the safest thing to do with my food and pack? I cannot tie it up in a tree. Sleeping in a tent with a shorty 12 ga with a few slugs, 00 shot, a bright LED flashlight and a bowie knife seems logical.
Thx for the tips.

There is some healthy pockets of grizz in 3-16 and I have seen them above tree line.

Keep a clean camp and don't set up on a game trial. Freeze dried food has less odour and is a better option then frying up bacon for breakfast. Store your food away from camp out of reach of bears.

Good number of black bears there as well and you are more likely to have a problem with them.

BiG Boar
07-11-2014, 08:13 AM
A must read: Hunt High by Duncan Gilchrist

read it twice. All of your questions will be answered and most importantly you will learn what not to do and how to ruin a hunt.

digger dogger
07-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Get a good rangefinder with the arc, for high angled shots.

Barracuda
07-11-2014, 08:42 AM
A must read: Hunt High by Duncan Gilchrist

read it twice. All of your questions will be answered and most importantly you will learn what not to do and how to ruin a hunt.

Do you know where one might find a copy?

bangbangkhan
07-11-2014, 09:09 AM
Do you know where one might find a copy?

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/products/hunt_high.htm

Kami
07-11-2014, 08:14 PM
Seems the book is no longer available from above link and no longer in print.
Used maybe?

j270wsm
07-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Goats can't climb if you shoot them in the a$$. Lol

Being serious now. I try to shoot them high shoulder and take out both shoulders or spine. Friends have also said the really thin white painters coveralls work great for confusing goats.

silvertipp
07-11-2014, 10:20 PM
not trying to stir the pot ,but a lot I read here is not nec true .I no the area fairly well send me a pm and will try help

Dre
07-11-2014, 10:42 PM
I don't know the area, but here are some tactics that work for us.
After spotting a goat, determine if it is a billie or a nanny. This can be done from almost a kilometer away with good glass. I dissagree with making a stalk while a goat is bedded. They are very allert while bedded and will spot you from 700+yds. The best time to make a stalk is while they feed. Use your binos, when his head is down - move to the next cover, if he is facing you - stay put and don't move, they recognisze movement easier than anything. If you see them on the cliffs, figure your route, and from above is almost never an option. Finally, the secret wheapon is your partner....He stays behind where you spotted the goat and decided it was a billie. Using the spotter and 2-way radios, he can assist you in keeping tabs on the goat's position and keep you in the right direction when you loose eye contact with it. Angle compensating range finder is a must as shooting angles can be extreme and shots 200-400 are to be expected, just pay attention to the terrain to make sure you can recover the animal.

Lastly, goat hunting is the most dangerous type of hunting in North America, so be smart about it and don't trust them rocks....they move. That loud thumping sound you'll hear is your heart. :)

khoffnbud
07-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Seems the book is no longer available from above link and no longer in print.
Used maybe?

I got mine a few months back from amazon

Kami
07-12-2014, 08:27 AM
I just picked one up used on Amazon for $35 US. Looking forward to the read. I have lots to learn.
Thx for the tips Dre. These goats, seems like it will a challenge to sneak up on them. I did recently buy
the top end Leupold 1000 Range Finder. Supposed to have angle compensation built in. I will have to
figure it out.

What about packs? Where to store your food at high elevation above tree line. Someone here said to store
it away from camp. I get that, no problem. But also where bears can't get it. I am struggling to figure out
how I am going to find a place atop a Mtn where a bear can't get it.
As an example:

http://quads.ca/070307/image020.jpg

swampthing
07-12-2014, 09:26 AM
I always leave my food downwind of camp. I put on the ground as there is usually no trees . If a bear is coming in he should circle downwind and will find your food before you. Something like a bell in your food bag would wake you if a bear came in at night.

Hunterguy
07-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Son got a draw for 3 16 G any info would be well received, feel free to private message, just wondering about accessibility? Better to hunt by pack or base camp? Thanks good luck on all the legs out there.

Dre
07-12-2014, 06:03 PM
I just picked one up used on Amazon for $35 US. Looking forward to the read. I have lots to learn.
Thx for the tips Dre. These goats, seems like it will a challenge to sneak up on them. I did recently buy
the top end Leupold 1000 Range Finder. Supposed to have angle compensation built in. I will have to
figure it out.

What about packs? Where to store your food at high elevation above tree line. Someone here said to store
it away from camp. I get that, no problem. But also where bears can't get it. I am struggling to figure out
how I am going to find a place atop a Mtn where a bear can't get it.
As an example:

http://quads.ca/070307/image020.jpg

I try not to camp above treeline. Keep the camp out of sight. Keep food out of your tent and a ways off. If a bear wants it, it'll get it. You can hang your food of a steep cliff with a rope, just don't drop it, hehe. I have put a used sweaty t-shirt on it and nothing has touched yet ;). As far as packs, the sky is the limit, I use a MEC pack that cost $80 and it is very comfy,tough and versatile. Some people spend a lot on packs, I don't see the need. Most important is weight vs. comfort as far as what to bring, spend lots of time packing and unpacking to figure out your gear and rations. there is many threads here on pack weights. Looks like it will be another round for Stones for me with a Grizz draw on the side, must start training.

Rackmastr
07-12-2014, 06:24 PM
I have a copy of 'A Beast the Colour of Winter' that I no longer need. $20 shipped if anyone wants it.

***EDIT*** Not anymore....but its a great book!

argyle1
07-12-2014, 08:06 PM
I prefer to do the stalk after they lay down because there is a much better chance that they will still be close by when you get there--a feeding billy can cover a fair bit of mountainside in a couple hours--if at all possible don't try a stalk in plain site whether they are feeding or resting--usually you can get pretty close as there's a lot of cover once you are up on the mountainside