PDA

View Full Version : New Hunter. out of my element

chrismcd
07-09-2014, 11:41 AM
hey i am just getting into hunting, gunna go for mule deer. ive never hunted and dont know anyone that hunts. in the past ive done lots of fishing mostly salmon in the lower mainland, and a bit of trout in the interior. ive always hiked and camped but never made a point to keep an eye out for animals, ive spent the last 4 months hiking local mountains trying to tune into my natural hunting spirit

i have resently started looking for spots to scout before the hunting season starts. i am very interested in alpine hunting but dont know how to start. i didnt get an LEH tag so my options are open for anywhere. areas near clearwater or lillooet seem like they have lots of alpine.

i know people dont like giving away spots on this site from all ive read, but hope youll give me a little break. im mostly looking for general guidelines of where to start out. i plan on going camping for 4 or 5 days next week and do some major recon wherever i end up going. i dont expect gps coordinates but maybe genereal areas that would be good for a new hunter looking for alpine muleys.

thanks.

Steeleco
07-09-2014, 12:58 PM
If your getting familiar with a few spots near the two towns you listed, go learn those spots as much as you can. It can take many trips to learn an area and the way in which the animals live and use that area. If you post a thread in the newbie section you may find a mentor or a like minded newb that you can learn with or from.

To say go here or there is almost wasted. Many will tell you their areas can be very sparse for days, then one day it's like the ark just docked. Find the area you like the most and pound it till it produces. Don't be discouraged. If hunting were easy, everyone would be doing it.

Best of luck.

BiG Boar
07-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Lots of gear needed if you're going to do this right. Binos, spotting scopes (helpful), good set of boots, maps, and up to $7,000 of other gear to go into your back pack. Are you going to sleep in the alpine? Hike up each day is tough to get there for first light. Are you going to eat up there? If so what? How about water purification?

I'd recommend looking at a map or two that has alpine, and then go spend a couple weekends up there in the alpine in the summer. The deer are only usually there for the first week or two in september and then the snow pushes them out.

07-09-2014, 01:07 PM
like Steelco said, if you are just learning ... the verry first place you should learn is your local area. Which i know nothing of. If someone said go to 5-01 to X lake and Up Y road.. it would not really help you in the long run....

Fundamentals of hunting are

Be familiar with the regulations for where you are.
be familiar with your rifle and how far you can accuratly shoot it
be there before day break, you want to be in a spot to watch the sun rise
Move slow,,, people who are new and hike have ZERO idea how slow you need to go.... 2 steps and ook around,,, two more and look around
Shoot the animal when its broad side with in your ranmge and right behind the shoulder...
Then........... Rip its guts out and dragg'r to the truck and get home proud!!!

and ask lots of questions here on specific things you dont know.

Fella
07-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Do some reading on your preys habits, ie. what they eat, type of habitat they prefer etc. there may even be slight differences in behaviour within species based on where they are.

Also, learn how to take care of your meat. Be comfortable with whichever method of cutting your animal you decide to use ie. gutless or "old school". The first time you do it will likely take you awhile, and if it's hot out you risk spoiling your meat, so either go with someone experienced or tag along on someone else's hunt to see how it's done.

chrismcd
07-09-2014, 02:38 PM
alright thanks guys, im slowly accumulating things i dont already have. from the lists ive read i have almost everything. never done solo trips or stayed overnight in alpine so im not totally sure, but have a grasp on it i think.
i think ill just have to pick somewhere and start stompin ground. heading out somewhere next week .just have to figure out where.
are either of these spots less populated during hunting season? or should i head deeper into the province and get even further away?
i realize quick answers cant beat hard work, which i am actually looking foraawrd to, one of the reasons i decided to try and get into this hunting endever. i just want to make sure im not wasting my time going somewhere useless

howa1500
07-09-2014, 02:46 PM
If you're willing to hike, then you have already seperated yourself from the majority of "hunters". Most people hunt by driving up and down the logging roads.

Hunting is different than hiking/camping. For now pre-season I would focus on working some local areas, looking for animal signs, and looking for good vantage points to shoot from in the fall. Find areas that you can safely get to and out of in the dark.

Don't forget that during hunting season if succesful, you'll also have to pack out what you kill, so if you find that you are already "maxed" with your camping gear, you are screwed with an extra 75-200 lbs of critter to haul out.

07-09-2014, 02:49 PM
go hike. if you know where alpine is,,, hike there... look for sign.. hike there in August... if you find a great spot try not to go there a bunch.. you might move the deer. Just go hike and try to "Plan an attack" you obviously dont know much about a good attack or bad one! but,,,, there is so much to hunting,,, you cant just learn it fast.

Find sme game trails and follow them,.

Steeleco
07-09-2014, 02:53 PM
are either of these spots less populated during hunting season? or should i head deeper into the province and get even further away?

If your on foot your likely going to be alone as mentioned. You can never really tell just who hunts an area or when they were last there. Even if you do happen across another hunter out there, most of us are civil and the woods are big enough for both of you!

Moose Guide
07-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Lots of gear needed if you're going to do this right. Binos, spotting scopes (helpful), good set of boots, maps, and up to $7,000 of other gear to go into your back pack. Are you going to sleep in the alpine? Hike up each day is tough to get there for first light. Are you going to eat up there? If so what? How about water purification?

I'd recommend looking at a map or two that has alpine, and then go spend a couple weekends up there in the alpine in the summer. The deer are only usually there for the first week or two in september and then the snow pushes them out.
$7000 worth of other gear? like what, a $6000 dollar truck? $500 for a rifle and scope, $50 for a knife, a cheep pair of binos, $150 for a freighter frame pack and moose bag! Seriously dude, he doesn't need the most expensive gear to start out! I could be well outfitted with everything I could want for $2000 or less if I was to buy brand new!!! He can upgrade a little every year!

chrismcd
07-09-2014, 05:09 PM
haha seemed a little steep, i was wondering what the hell i was missing from my arsenal.

what would be the best way to find routes to get high up into mountains, maps? google?

Moe.JKU
07-09-2014, 05:21 PM
I am using backroads mapbooks, google earth, and topo maps to plan my routes. I ended up finding a very nice spot this year that i can't wait to hit come sept.

HarryToolips
07-09-2014, 05:34 PM
I am using backroads mapbooks, google earth, and topo maps to plan my routes. I ended up finding a very nice spot this year that i can't wait to hit come sept.

Like he said...learn an area and just worry about havin fun...but learn how to use a compass and with a map as well..you could use a GPS but they take the fun out of findin your own way around... best of luck chrismcd

chrismcd
07-09-2014, 06:03 PM
so do most peopole go with just map and compass.. ive been looking into gps'. ive always relied on designated trails for the most part with little actual map and compass practice besides basics. im not un used to becoming lost and having to find my way out though, but ive always been close to civilization in one way or another so its not a huge problem if i were to get lost .
i definatlyh wouldnt mind saving 2-300 dollars and just go with maps.
is there somewhere that has good maps 1:50,000 or less

Good2bCanadian
07-09-2014, 06:14 PM
This is what i do studying up new areas.

I check my Backroads map books, google earth and my Garmin base camp map program.

Obviously none of these are 100% accurate.

I study these until I have a basic mental picture of the area.

I will copy and print off these maps and take them as well.

Next I will google search...

huntingbc greenstone mountain
for example. Tons of posts of the areas will pop up. I'll read them all. Some I will screen shot with my phone and save critical info in my phone so I have something to reference.

Or

clubtread greenstone mountain

these searches usually turn up trip reports and some good info

I do rely on my garmin GPS a lot when in out there. It shows tons of info.

On my pack is a compass. Before I head out, I'll understand my heading and the way back to the truck

Finally, I rely on my brain and senses. If my spidey sense talks I listen. If it don't feel right I don't go.
Sometimes the GPS lies, the terrain is not as it shows always.

swampthing
07-09-2014, 06:14 PM
When I decided the alpine was my calling I looked at maps. I would try to find roads that got me close to the 2000m elevation. Alpine was not usually too far away. Lillooeet is a good place for alpine. Make sure you have a good pack to get your animal off the mountain.

Blair
07-09-2014, 06:25 PM
so do most peopole go with just map and compass.. ive been looking into gps'. ive always relied on designated trails for the most part with little actual map and compass practice besides basics. im not un used to becoming lost and having to find my way out though, but ive always been close to civilization in one way or another so its not a huge problem if i were to get lost .
i definatlyh wouldnt mind saving 2-300 dollars and just go with maps.
is there somewhere that has good maps 1:50,000 or less

you can get 1:20,000 maps of the entire province.

two-feet
07-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Sounds like you are perfectly set up to start hunting. Get out away from the crowds, keep your eyes and ears tuned in and start trying to move slow and quiet. And most importantly, play the wind. If it is blowing at your back you will NOT see animals. Soon you will start having close, fun encounters with animals.
Good luck out there! Some grate times to be had in the bush alone.

Salty
07-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Right on chris I like your style, keen and ready to learn. Now here's my opinion and its just that. .. my opinion but going solo alpine hunting as your first goal is a bit like going to the Olympics in year one. K.. I'm exaggerating but its a big commitment to get 'up there', time consuming big time and very highly likely a long trip going to the wrong spot. Do. not. loose this dream but I'd recommend some less time consuming huge commitment stuff first.

First, the animals live in the bush. Most people hunt the roads through the bush. You only need to get a quarter mile off a road and you just said bye to the lions share of the hunters. Unless there's a quad trail. lol. You've got two promising areas in mind pick one and cover a lot of ground with your vehicle getting out lots looking for sign. Get used to staring the **** out of the ground, looking for bent over grass and shrubs, looking for tracks and scat that's what its all about. Once you start finding sign ditch the vehicle and move slowly through the bush looking for more sign. You're on fresh sign, you're in the bush, you're golden.

It will take way less time learning this basics in easier/quicker to access areas. You can go big right off the bat for sure, head to the nose bleed section and try the alpine but again you'd be much better off up there with some time under your belt and skills developed scouting, finding sign and hunting different areas. Best of luck man, don't pressure yourself be patient and good things will happen down the road :)

Fred1
07-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Ok partner! Curiosity has got you! That's really all you need. Nothing can give you more info than time in the field. As said, pick an area and go learn it! Do that now while the weather is nice. Look for the signs, shit, trails, last years rubs etc etc. Take notes. Glass glass glass... If you're going to move. move slow - painfully slow. I like to move 10 feet and wait a min or two - slow. Make any movement slow - remember what YOU see out there? What catches your eye?! The flutter of a leaf or a bird for instance - that's what the critters will key on too. Did I mention move slow? Its amazing how close the deer can get when you are being SLOOOOOOOWWWWW... Get a deer grunter. Go try it out on some deer - see how they react. Always be aware of the wind. Find the water holes, look for active mud pits (mineral licks), Look for well worn trails - go walk them and see where they go. Tracks are good... We are blessed in most of this province for mule deer - they are almost everywhere! (Get your whitetail tag too!) You are on your way to $7000- $10,000 worth of pack gear!! Im still working my way up and its been a long while... ;) Good Luck!

chrismcd
07-09-2014, 07:04 PM
when it comes to staying quiet and slow, is it done from the moment i step into the woods or do youuh wait until you find desirable grounds and then slow to a crawl

Salty
07-09-2014, 07:17 PM
when it comes to staying quiet and slow, is it done from the moment i step into the woods or do youuh wait until you find desirable grounds and then slow to a crawl

Depends. Think of it this way deer can see way better than you (not detail but movement) and they can hear waaay better than us. Focus on moving as close to silently as possible. You can do it reasonably quickly if you're concealed. For sure tho once you're on sign or see or hear something slow right down to a crawl. Always conceal yourself as best you can by trees, bushes etc

Fred1
07-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Slow from the word go! Unless Im going into an area that's quite a ways out - I still find myself creeping along though - you just never know?! Windy days are great for slow hunting! If you are going to go and set up cam - just get there. Set up camp some distance from where you are going to hunt - don't plop down your hammock right in your deer grounds... duh... right?!?

Fred1
07-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Oh and rain! Rain is your friend! It covers up scent and noise. Don't not go or give up cause the rain hits!

Fred1
07-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Always always got out for mulies after a good snow storm! The storm will bed them down. They will stay down until the storm cracks or for about a day - then they HAVE to feed! They will be forced to move a bit to find food.

chrismcd
07-09-2014, 08:21 PM
thanks guys this is all awesome im gunna take notes on all this.
i read its best to work your way downhill when hunting mulies, but does this make a diference when trekking through woods?

Fred1
07-09-2014, 08:36 PM
I have got them either way... However I have noticed I have been busted by deer more often when they were above me - makes sense though - looking down knowing there is nothing above you makes you safe from above. Wind is most important. Anything down wind of you is already gone...

hunter1993ap
07-09-2014, 09:13 PM
there are so many things that you will learn, that become instinct. it is helpful to have a mentor to point out the major flaws when you start, but you will get a feel for how to hunt. I cant explain how I hunt, I probably hunt completely different than other successful hunters but you will find a way that works for you. put miles on, know when to be quiet, check the wind and never let your guard down. you don't need to spend a ton of money to get into the sport, I had some of the cheapest gear available when I started but I loved hunting so I toughed it out, and had fun. expensive gear makes it enjoyable but I wouldn't say anymore enjoyable than without it if you really enjoy hunting. make sure your boots don't give you blisters and have a solid pack frame to pack out your animal and you will be well on your way. start slow, don't go ten km in and kill a deer if you don't know how to prepare it and what it takes to get it out. as well as how physically demanding it will be on your body. I suggest starting hunting within a km or so of the roads until you learn what it takes to get the animal out, especially if you are solo.

knockturnal
07-09-2014, 09:28 PM
I've got an old gps you can have if you want. Nothing fancy. Just pretty much keeps a track log and helps you navigate around if you know your bearings.

knockturnal
07-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Also, I looked but didn't see anything about where you are from?

chrismcd
07-10-2014, 10:53 AM
Awesome man. I'm gunna head into lillooet and find some ground to stomp.
Yeah I havnt gone through and filled in my info yet but I'm down in Abbotsford.

wrenchhead
07-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Lots of times I use google earth to find cut blocks close to likely alpine spots so the acsess is easy. Usually once your in the alpine your not dealing with crawling under and over blow downs with a heavy pack to get where you need to go.

RobTurbo
07-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Best of luck this season! Make sure you post pictures of your success.

LupieHunter
07-12-2014, 10:52 PM
We (BCWF Region 2) have started putting on a new hunter bootcamp out in Abbotsford. Might be something your interested in. This year will be our second year putting it on. Last year we covered things like first aid, decoys, shooting, gutting, etc. check out the programs section of the bcwf website or contact fowl language on here for more info. It's a great event and people really enjoyed it last year.

LupieHunter
07-12-2014, 10:54 PM
Last years info is on the website but it should be pretty much the same for this year. Also another tip, break in your hunting boots if they're new, before you go on your first trip. You'll save yourself some blisters and sore feet

chrismcd
07-13-2014, 10:10 PM
aweome lupie hunter thats exactly what i need im look into that right now thanks.

DGuest
07-13-2014, 10:42 PM
South, southwest and west facing slopes. I scouted an area last year with google earth, did 2 hikes in before the season started and bagged a nice blacktail by noon on my first actual hunting day there. All I looked for was south facing alpine. Obviously a bit of luck was involved but I increased my chances by doing my homework.

LupieHunter
07-13-2014, 11:08 PM
No problem Chrismcd! I believe there is also a thread about it in the youth/newbie sections. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.