PDA

View Full Version : Semi autos for hunting ?

BIGHUNTERFISH
03-02-2007, 04:50 PM
I have always been a bolt action fan,I have very little experience with lever,semi auto etc.So I was wondering what do you guys think of semi auto matics for hunting big game?I also know that target practicing with a 22 can and probably will make you a better shot,but if your a bolt action hunter does it make sense to have a 22 semi auto,your thoughts ?:|

Murder
03-02-2007, 04:56 PM
I make it a habit of putting about 500-1000 rounds down range each month with my bolt action .22 lr

It definitely makes me a better shooter. I shoot from different positions too.

My buddy shoots a semi, and he can get back on target faster than I can, so in that regard, I would say go for it, I think it is more technique than the gun itself. Shoot from lots of different positions. Semi automatics are part of the evolution of firearms. They exist because of the aformentioned fact. Aside from getting back on target, in a self defense situation, you can just start pulling the trigger, which would be a heck of a lot quicker than cycling a bolt, lever or pump

My .02 cents

Rainwater
03-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Until it jams. My buddy has a pump Remington 760 (I beleive that's the model) in 30.06 and it is amazingly fast, stays on target and does not jam like it's autoloading cousin just might. He's shot a lot of whitetails with it. I had a gas operated Winchester shotgun that was a jamming nightmare even when cleaned regularly, not a fan of S/A's for serious stuff.

Gateholio
03-02-2007, 05:17 PM
I've often thought that if a guy was serious about his marksmanshio for hunitng, he shoudl have 3 rilfes- A 22LR, a bolt action 223 similar to his hunting rifle, and his big game rifle.

The 22LR could be used for plinking, practicing trigger control and marksmanship. Same for the 223, but the advantage that it has is a similar trajectory as your 30-06 (or close enough for hunitn gpractice purposes) plus it actually gies you abit of recoil to deal wiht, and mkes yo manipulate a bolt. But ammo is cheap, and recoil still mild.

A 22LR bolt gun makes sense, but there arent' a TON of them out there that are high quality and inexpensive. there are probably more now than I last checked, I guess...

But I've got a custom 10/22 and I like it alot, so I use it.8-)

The only real reason to use a bolt action is to get used to working the bolt while your rifle is shouldered, but the 22LR bolt throw is so short, it's not nearly close enough to your big game rifle, which is where the 223 comes in.8-)

I don't feel any need for a big game autoloader for me, as they are a little heavier, require a bit more maintainence, and lack the powerful bolt action to chamber and extract, in case of problems. Plus they are less forgiving to load for.8-)

308BAR
03-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Well I used 308 BAR and it's just the same as any bolt when shooting. The thing to remember is that there is always another round in the camber after you fired your first. I'm always cautious that after I fire at a deer that I don't swing it around and not let the emotion of the moment control the safety of my gun. IMO buck fever could make people forget to safety their gun.

Follow-up shots are quicker because theirs not the need to lift the bolt to reload and reaquire your target.

Not as accurate as bolt but MOA or slightly about is fine for game up to 200 yrd out.

Gateholio
03-02-2007, 11:24 PM
[QUOTE=308BAR]Well I used 308 BAR and it's just the same as any bolt when shooting. The thing to remember is that there is always another round in the camber after you fired your first.

A competent rifleman will have anohter round in his bolt gun, too8-)

I'm always cautious that after I fire at a deer that I don't swing it around and not let the emotion of the moment control the safety of my gun. IMO buck fever could make people forget to safety their gun.

Muzzle control is very important, regardless of action. I f my buddy swung his muzzle to me on a bolt gun, regardless of whetehr he had reloaded, I would stomp in his barrel!!:lol:

Follow-up shots are quicker because theirs not the need to lift the bolt to reload and reaquire your target.

Although a auto bleeds soem of the recoil to work the action, a proficient bolt action rifleman will have their chamber reloaded by the time recoil is done and the sights come back on target. The auto is faster, but just by a teeny bit. (In a full power huning cartrige, not a 223 or 7.62x39)8-)

Bottom line is that a guy that practices with aq bolt, can be very fast.:lol:

Bigbuckadams
03-03-2007, 06:48 AM
Follow up shots aren't required if you make the first one count :lol: . All of my rifles are bolt action, with exception of an semi-auto .22. My buddy has a semi-auto .270. Both have jammed up at times, I find them a little bit more unreliable than a bolt action.

Bushman
03-03-2007, 07:29 AM
I have previously owned and hunted extensively with a Remington Mdl. 742 semi-auto in .30-06 as well as a Remington 1100 semi-auto 12 gauge shotgun.
I once had the Remington .30-06 jam when it was truly needed on a big moose in grizzly country and it left me with a bad taste in my mouth for semi-automatic rifles.
On the other hand, I put cases and cases of shells through my Remington 1100 while hunting for ducks, geese, pheasants and grouse. And although the Remington 1100 would occasionally jam, it was usually my fault for not keeping it clean enough.
While I'd buy another semi-auto shotgun to use for waterfowl or upland game-birds in a heartbeat, I would never own or hunt with another semi-automatic big-game rifle again.
After doing lots of reading and research into the subject of reliable rifles, I came to the conclusion that there was a good reason why most old, wise (and alive) big-game guides and professional hunters preferred bolt-action rifles that offered a controlled round feeding system.
This is just my opinion, but I'm happy to say that except for my collection of old lever-actions, 'all' the big-games rifles I use these days are various Mauser-type bolt-actions.

Bushman

Walksalot
03-03-2007, 08:33 AM
I hand load so the bolt action is my choice simply because it is a stronger action. Also, one doesn't have to work the brass as much as one does in a semi auto in that I mean the brass for a semi auto has to be resized to factory specs so the brass will work smoothly through the action.
As far as follow up shots go I think the hunter knows whether a follow up shot might be necessary. Last season I was hunting with my son when he shot a buck. I could not see the deer after he shot and he didn't feed another shot into the chamber. I told him to but he said the deer was dead and sure enough he was right. Confidence in ones shooting ability is huge and practice is the is the way to achieve it.
Having said that, if the hunter wants to use a semi auto then all the more power to him/her. While it is important for all fire arms to be kept clean it is more so an issue with a semi auto.

03-03-2007, 08:33 AM
I have seen a few hunters use semi's and they say a properly maintained semi is as dependable as any bolt. For the amount of power lost working the action....inside regular hunting ranges, the loss would be insignificant and if a second shot is required, the semi automatic action is alot faster then a bolt, any day. The mechanics of working a bolt no matter how proficient a shooter is, will be hard pushed to match the speed/accuracy of someone who knows what they are doing with a semi.
That being said, most of my firearms are bolt action, with a few semi's and other actions. I think they have there place, and although there are stories floating around about "jamming" and misfires, it not that there aren't tales of frustration with bolts and other actions too.

Fisher-Dude
03-03-2007, 10:57 AM
I don't know of many semi-auto magnums out there, so my choice is clear. Bolts give a more accurate gun. Make your first shot count and that extra second it takes to cycle a bolt compared to a semi is a moot point.

The only semis I own are a 12 guage and a couple of 22s. And the grief I get from the 22s when plinking ditch chickens keeps me from ever wanting one for big game.

Stresd
03-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Bolts give a more accurate gun.

And the grief I get from the 22s when plinking ditch chickens keeps me from ever wanting one for big game.

Question. Why is it then that the current 100m rimfire World accuracy record was set with a semi-automatic. I would think that if the shooter thought a bolt was more accurate they would have been using one. You will also find that the majority of New model Sniper Rifles being tested and utilized by the Modern Armed Forces are also Semi-automatics. Does make one wonder. Have three .22 Semi's. Two Nylon 66's that I bought back in the 70's and a C10. A semi by their nature must be kept clean in order to operate correctly and Yes, that is their weak point. I can go through a brick in real short order without ever experiencing a jam. If your rifles are jamming constantly there is a problem and instead of living with it .Fix the problem. All my Big Game since the late sixties have been harvested with either 740's or a 742 carbine. Making your first shot count is great in theory, but shit happens. Maybe a twig or branch that you didn't see or maybe even cold hands. Who knows why, but it happens. And if the bull that you just made sure of your first shot at doesn't hump , start going down and starts screwing off instead ,I will have have four more in the air at him and swapping mags while you are still ejecting your second shell.

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_XM109,,00.html

BrowningBar
03-03-2007, 11:46 PM
My Browning BAR in 30-06 works just fine for me.

twofifty
03-03-2007, 11:53 PM
I'll be setting out for deer this Fall with a mid-1970s 742 in .308.
It has open sights now, but will have a 3x7 Rifleman on it for the hunt.

I've got maybe 300 rounds through this one without a single jam. For what I'm after, it seems more than adequate.

With 180gr soft points - 2 mags - if'n something big and hungry wants a piece of me, this 742 will prevail. Or so I hope. ;)

Comments?

Will
03-03-2007, 11:58 PM
I will have have four more in the air at him and swapping mags while you are still ejecting your second shell.

http://www.moviemarket.co.uk/library/photos/217/217728.jpg

Stresd
03-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Pack at least three mags with me as it is a nice contained quiet way to pack shells. Keep her clean and she will not let you down. I tear all mine right down every year and just do not experience jams. One word of warning. Sunflower seeds and the like have a nasty habit of finding their way into your mags. :oops:

Stresd
03-04-2007, 12:29 AM
A yes. I see that you found a pic of me in my younger days:lol:
http://www.moviemarket.co.uk/library/photos/217/217728.jpg

Will
03-04-2007, 12:50 AM
I couldn't resist...:lol:

But with a comment like that you can't blame a Guy can you ? ;-)

.308win
03-04-2007, 01:31 AM
Never hunted with a semi.....Have a huncle who hunts with one a .270, not sure the make(think its a rem), but he had a lot of trouble the first couple of hunting seasons with bullets jamming....I think the problem was that the action was a little ruff(think it wanted to put another bullet in before it expelled the empty case).....Not sure if that makes sence, don't know to much about semies! He took it to a gun smith and it works fine to this day(this problem was~12-15 yrs ago?!...semies have probably come along way sence then!

300 wsm
03-04-2007, 01:35 AM
ishoot a 44 deerfield for hunting deer while stil hunting its a semi and also do alot with my 300 short and its all about studying your rounds and puttin alot of time at the range

300 wsm
03-04-2007, 01:36 AM
dear 308 its all abou maintenance

.308win
03-04-2007, 01:42 AM
dear 308 its all abou maintenance

I asure you maintenace was not an issue, guns are like kids to this guy!!and his kids were treated good.

Fisher-Dude
03-04-2007, 08:37 AM
And if the bull that you just made sure of your first shot at doesn't hump , start going down and starts screwing off instead ,I will have have four more in the air at him and swapping mags while you are still ejecting your second shell.

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_XM109,,00.html

I can't remember the last time I took more than 2 shots. And the deer I took the second shot at was dead on his feet with his lungs punched out. I can't imagine what a mess I would have had with 4 more bullets hitting him.

With experience comes the ability to make that first shot count. Needing to blast 8 shots at an animal is a situation I won't be getting into. If I can't do it right the first time, I don't do it. I'll get him next time.

Stresd
03-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude
With experience comes the ability to make that first shot count. Needing to blast 8 shots at an animal is a situation I won't be getting into.

Experience!!! 53 years old harvested my first Muley (Buck)when I was 14, at what used to be Scottie Creek. and my first Moose (cow)at the ripe age of 16. just got my DL and the My Old Man (whom is 73 and we still hunt together) let me drive the whole way up to the Blackwater. To put it nicely my freezer has never even been close too being empty of wild game . I am not going to get into a pissing contest. Just suffice it to say that I do not lack experience. And isn't 8 shots embellishing it just a little. Where did that come from? Here is a Pic of my kitty cat that I got in George a few years ago. A few of my firearms and as you can see do not limit myself to just one type. Really looking forward to trying a few different hand loads with my new 257 Roberts.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/Stresd/Kitty.jpg

Ifin I wanna make sure it aint really gittin up :twisted: It's a bitch packin in on Horseback though:lol:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/Stresd/cid_002101c7463d61c7c56029f9eb04DHF.jpg

Will
03-04-2007, 10:56 AM
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/Stresd/cid_002101c7463d61c7c56029f9eb04DHF.jpg
Where'd you get the Picture of BigHunterFish on his Bear Trip........?
:lol: :lol:

Oh and Nice BobCat BTW ! 8)

BIGHUNTERFISH
03-04-2007, 07:48 PM
That dudes not me ,not even close,and I hate Fords.I think thats a pretty cool gun though.8-)

Will
03-04-2007, 08:15 PM
That dudes not me ,not even close,and I hate Fords.I think thats a pretty cool gun though.8-)
Come on now....It's the INTRAWEB !
You can BE anybody 8)

BIGHUNTERFISH
03-04-2007, 08:19 PM
I wanted to be Charles Bronson but you took that away from me,it still pains me to think about.And looking at your avatars you have been everbody from Wily Coyote,Timothy treadwell all the way to Richard Simmons.:lol:

Will
03-05-2007, 04:28 PM
I wanted to be Charles Bronson but you took that away from me,it still pains me to think about.And looking at your avatars you have been everbody from Wily Coyote,Timothy treadwell all the way to Richard Simmons.
I'm Glad my Avatars have held so much meaning for you that you've memorized them.......:|

I don't recall the Richard Simmons one though ?
Be Careful on the Intraweb........you never know who you're talking to:shock:

http://www.geocities.com/richard_simmons_fan/gallery/image5.jpg
:lol:

Murder
03-05-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm Glad my Avatars have held so much meaning for you that you've memorized them.......:|

I don't recall the Richard Simmons one though ?
Be Careful on the Intraweb........you never know who you're talking to:shock:

http://www.geocities.com/richard_simmons_fan/gallery/image5.jpg
:lol:

Too funny...that made my day

HighCountry
03-05-2007, 07:39 PM
I 'm hunting with my semi auto browning bar for the last 15 years.Never
have any jammed or problem with it still shooting as good as a new gun.

LeverActionJunkie
03-07-2007, 09:14 AM
I agree with Gatehouses first post on this thread. My main hunting rifle is my Guide Gun 45/70, I've also got a '94C in 357, and model39A .22, all set up with identical scopes, and similarly balanced. Shoot them all lots and be familiar with them all.

Mr. Dean
03-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Trying to define one as being ethically better is like trying to split hairs. Either type can have malfunctions and follow up’s are dependant on the level of skill, by the user. As to which is more accurate; likely doesen't mean a hoot, under most hunting conditions.

The only semi’s that I have are a 20ga shotgun and a .22 handgun. Neither are used for hunting. I’ll likely have a semi-auto 30-06 passed down too me. Can’t say as whether or not I’d hunt with it, but I definitely won’t be giving it away either.

Hunt with what you want. Just make sure that you practice with it and get accustomed to the type of action being used. At the end of the day, it’s the bullet that kills.

ALPINE
03-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Bolt actions are good Semi's are good and so are lever guns. It all depends on the shooter man. As for jams and misfires??? I would say know your weapon before you go Hunting with it so if this ever happens you can clear it without thinking about it. I have hunted for years with a Remington 7400 in 30-06 without any problems except one. Old dumb ass didn't pull the action back far enough to cycle a round in a 20 yard stare down with a Moose:lol: Lesson learned and it could happen with a bolt action too. I liked this rifle because it was short and packed a punch. I found my semi as dependable as Win Model 70 and Marlin any day.

Elkhound
03-10-2007, 10:51 AM
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/Stresd/Kitty.jpg

I like the kitty and the wolf, but that is one weird looking mount for a bunny:confused:

:razz::biggrin: