PDA

View Full Version : Mount Assiniboine Park Sheep Hunt

Duidery
07-08-2014, 08:19 PM
I was drawn for the Mount Assiniboine sheep hunt for October 1st - 9th. I was curious if anyone has been on this hunt in the past? Other than some preliminary research, I know very little about the area and the hunt. From what I have read in other threads it appears that accessing the park and sheep area is difficult. Firearm restrictions and transporting game may also be issues. It has also been stated that the early season may not be the best because the sheep may not be in the area - can anyone confirm this?

I will continue to research this hunt and will be contacting the COs and Parks people hoping to get some clarity on some of the questions I have. In the mean time, any information would be greatly apreciated.

And for those of you who believe that I should have extensively researched this hunt prior to getting drawn, it never would have happened. I live 12 hours away and don't have the time or resources to invest in a hunt with 1:25 odds. Its almost three months away and I have started my research and planning as soon as I drew the tag.

GoatGuy
07-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Sheep normally don't show up until the last half of the month, and more like the last 10 days of october.

The trail in taking guns (can't go through the park) is ~50 kms if I recall correctly, and will probably take you two days. There are a few rivers to cross; it is quite demanding.

Expect winter conditions. The long weekend in the mountains in October can be -15 to -25 with howling wind.

Hope for inclement weather and snow to push them in to that area early enough. Don't want to dampen your spirits, but the late draw is the one to have. You have a draw so you might as well go, but I wouldn't expect to have the sheep funeled out of the ntl park by that point.

boxhitch
07-09-2014, 06:22 AM
Heli-hiking is available til Oct 5th , always wonder how that affects critters

Duidery
07-13-2014, 12:31 PM
Has anyone on HBC been on this hunt? Or know anyone who has been on the hunt? I would like to confirm some of the information I have researched so far.

Amphibious
07-13-2014, 12:42 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?30381-Assiniboine-Sheep-LEH-Information&highlight=Assiniboine

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?30362-East-Kootenay-Assiniboine-Sheep-LEH&highlight=Assiniboine

Duidery
07-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Yep, I have looked at these but was hoping for some first hand knowledge and something newer than 5 years old. So far, I haven't been able to find anyone who has personally been on that hunt.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?30381-Assiniboine-Sheep-LEH-Information&highlight=Assiniboine

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?30362-East-Kootenay-Assiniboine-Sheep-LEH&highlight=Assiniboine

Trekker
07-13-2014, 03:25 PM
From what I understand you have to take the Mitchell River trail as you cant pack firearms or wildlife through national parks. It is a long jaunt to the sheep hills 40 - 50 km, horses would be the way to go.

300rum700
07-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Had a buddy that had the draw a couple years ago and it was a hard hard hunt. Long way on horses and was - 20 for most or the time and no animals. They talked to the outfitter a couple times and he told them where to go, turns out that the info he gave them was spot on and was the only place they saw an animal. They also hired a packer because they didn't have horses. I don't know if they move in and out of the area but it sounds like you'd have better success in a gos area. Sorry if I burst your bubble but that's what I know of the place.

LBM
07-13-2014, 04:35 PM
To bad Mr. Cooper has passed probably would of gave some good info but it wouldn't hurt to give Mr. Niddre a call
he may say what he thinks.
Good luck

GoatGuy
07-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Has anyone on HBC been on this hunt? Or know anyone who has been on the hunt? I would like to confirm some of the information I have researched so far.

Know quite a few that have hunted it, a couple that have killed, and a buddy who guided in there. The outfitter operating in there now is a good guy, don't think they harvested last year. Place is suffering from fire suppression and habitat loss on the sheep front. Sheep usually don't show up til mid-month or later.

That early in October will be tough. Will need some serious weather and snow to move them in there. Haven't been on the hunt personally, Niddre is a good option if you want to ask; he's a good guy. Can always take the chairlift up during the summer to check it out or go in through the ntl park. Beautiful country, every time we've had a trip planned something falls through the cracks. Understand the trail through the park was cut out last year so it should be much easier going.