PDA

View Full Version : Moose + Steel Chain = Dead Moose

Rock Doctor
03-02-2007, 02:54 PM
This poor guy was just walking in the wrong place at the wrong time. Too bad really, IMHO this was totally preventable. If he had made it another couple yrs he would have been a pretty good one. Nice double droppers.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Fixed%20Pics/PA010010.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Fixed%20Pics/PA010007.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Fixed%20Pics/PA010009.jpg

Derek_Erickson
03-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Horrible death for the poor *******

The Hermit
03-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Damn... live compressor head traps ought to be banned!!

Canuck2
03-02-2007, 09:09 PM
RockDoc, do you know any details of this? My first thoughts were that - for an animal the size of a moose - there sure isn't much damage done. The fuel drum isn't even tipped over.

03-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Damn... live compressor head traps ought to be banned!!

Naw!......we just need a registry.......you know how it goes, if it saves one life........

Rock Doctor
03-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Canuck2RockDoc, do you know any details of this? My first thoughts were that - for an animal the size of a moose - there sure isn't much damage done. The fuel drum isn't even tipped over.

I don't know any of the details, just have the pics right now. I do see a fair bit of damage around the animal though:
Black pipe coating ripped apart on line coming out of the ground.(there should be no marks in the black coating)
Chain marks and Horn marks on the piping.(should not be any of this type of marking here)
Ground is pretty pounded around the moose, but nowhere else.(Bbl is probably pretty close to about 500lbs and is no doubt sunk at least a little into the ground, hard to tip, and the moose is tall enough to stomp all around it without touching it)

I guess it's possible that it was over pretty quick. Once he got his horn hooked behind the red door hanger, the end could not have been far off.

Husky7mm
03-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Just one of those crazy things....

CHilko21
03-02-2007, 10:59 PM
That's really too bad, definately wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe they should consider fencing around those compounds?

mapguy
03-03-2007, 08:31 AM
what exactly is that not the moose

mark
03-03-2007, 08:57 AM
what exactly is that not the moose

Its a natural gas pumping station! i guess youve never hunted up north, theyre everywhere!

Rock Doctor
03-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Umm.... not exactly a pumping station........this is a set of Pigging Barrels.
Picture this, two 8" lines from different areas (ex. 1 from the north, and one from the east) come to one place to join togeather to flow into a 12" line. All these lines need to be cleaned and inspected, so at the Upstream end of each line you have a PIG sending barrel (think of a pig as a foam or rubber marshmallow that just fits inside the pipe) you load a pig into the sending barrel and the gas flow through the pipe pushes the pig down the line. At the end of the line you have a PIG recieving barrel, here the pig is removed. So, at this site you have 2 recieving barrels for the smaller lines that are joining up to a larger line. The larger line has a sending barrel to pig the next section of pipe. This 12" will probably join into a 16" pipe, and then the 16" will dump into a 20" line. ect ect.
By the time the pipe gets to the US border, it could be up to as much as 60" in diamiter. There are many Compressor Stations along the way, but this is not one of them.
One of the Sites I work at is on a 20" line, we move almost 200 million cubic feet of gas per day, and are rated up to about 330 million per day.

bsa30-06
03-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Rock Doctor, i understand exactly what your saying, the company i work for used to pig a few lines until the old owner passed away, now we just do fire protection systems, water mains , and fire hydants.

Canuck2
03-03-2007, 12:02 PM
OK, now that I have my glasses on, I do see some damage.:redface: Must have been a heck of a way to go, although perhaps - as suggested - fairly quick.

Do you do any archery, Rock Doctor? I have a couple pigs about 30" high and 24" diameter. They make great target butts.

Rock Doctor
03-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Do you do any archery, Rock Doctor? I have a couple pigs about 30" high and 24" diameter. They make great target butts.

Yes, I do have a couple bows, but have not used them much in the last couple yrs. One is a PSE, and the other is a Blue Mtn Wolverine.

Awsome idea for a target butt, but unfortunatly the company I work for does not use many of the Foam/Rubber style pigs, our Pigs look like a steel barbell with a hard plastic ring bolted to each end for the seal.
I do occasionally come across some of the larger Foam type pigs on the bush roads(fell out of other trucks) and will keep this in mind.

Amphibious
03-05-2007, 09:14 AM
so post and repost walk into a bar, post walks out, who's left?

2004? maybe 2005 moose chain story ;)