PDA

View Full Version : First season working for outfitter

ryanshaw44
07-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Any advice or suggested gear? Just want to be prepared.

cheers
ryan

riflebuilder
07-08-2014, 12:14 PM
good boots and good rain gear

Stone Sheep Steve
07-08-2014, 12:16 PM
What is your job?

SSS

Philcott
07-08-2014, 12:22 PM
gold bond.

dakoda62
07-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Moleskin, good raingear, good knives if your doing the caping etc. And of course the customer is alway's right, doesnt matter what you think or know.

07-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Moleskin, good raingear, good knives if your doing the caping etc. And of course the customer is alway's right, doesnt matter what you think or know.

I don't agree. If your client is getting out of line, lay down the law. Some of the Alpha Male business types come to camp with an edge they need to lose. Most of your clients will probably be great guys, though, and may end-up lifelong friends

ryanshaw44
07-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Being first season I'd b assuming wrangler . I'm a capable guy though so Hopefully I might get a little more opportunity . I'm just happy to be going .

What is your job?

SSS

Bluedsteel
07-08-2014, 12:37 PM
My biggest mistake when I first started guiding years ago was that I brought some cheap boots that barely got me through one sheep hunt. Best boots I ever owned were Meindels, I can't say enough good things about them but they are expensive. Get yourself a good topographic map of the area and laminate it or keep it in a big ziplock. If you are up in Northern BC keep in mind that you'll be seeing some snow in the fall so bring some warm clothes. Those binocular harnesses were a god send and sure save your neck from aches and pains. Good rain gear is VERY important, I hate gortex because it was expensive and always started leaking after a 14 day sheep hunt, the crotch always started leaking while on horseback and every little branch seemed to tear the pants so I stuck with Helly Hanson.....the stretchy kind which is pretty light and durable plus if you tear it duck tape sticks to it very well. Always have some duck tape for patches and it also works well to prevent blisters.
Have fun and enjoy your first season. Always remember that as much as it sucks to bump in to resident hunters while guiding clients show them respect and be friendly, we're all out there for the same thing, at the end of the day it's just a job.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Might be a good idea to get in touch with the outfitter and find out exactly what your job may or may not entail.

At least that's what I would do.

SSS

ryanshaw44
07-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Ya I'll do that

Might be a good idea to get in touch with the outfitter and find out exactly what your job may or may not entail.

At least that's what I would do.

SSS

rifleman
07-08-2014, 12:48 PM
if yer gunna do some caping, pick up a scalpel & about 25 extra blades. go on you tube & watch some videos on tying diamond knots & packing horses.
when you are in spike camp & send yer horses to feed for the night, make sure they do not go back to main camp. you will have a long walk....

Who are you working for?

boxhitch
07-08-2014, 12:56 PM
And of course the customer is alway's right, doesnt matter what you think or know. that will get you in trouble real quick. May work in sales but not in guiding . But do respect knowledge and the team will benefit.

What is your job?Need to know , there are so many variables that advise could be a whole library . Narrow it down.

dakoda62
07-08-2014, 02:21 PM
I don't agree. If your client is getting out of line, lay down the law. Some of the Alpha Male business types come to camp with an edge they need to lose. Most of your clients will probably be great guys, though, and may end-up lifelong friends
It's up to the "Guide" to make those decision's not an employee

07-08-2014, 02:33 PM
It's up to the "Guide" to make those decision's not an employee

You mean up to the Outfitter?? How does that work when guiding a goat hunter 2 days from the main lodge??

liambobbi
07-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Yeah take me ryan

liambobbi
07-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Pretty sure u got ya bases covered u will do ,well remember to have fun mate:-D

Sitkaspruce
07-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Books, good flashlight/headlamp, boots (broke in properly), camp shoes (your feet will love you for them), a diary to record your days (fun to look back over time and see what you did, plus record the good clients info), camera and batteries, small colapsable fishing rod/reel/gear, knives/scalple/sharpener, good glass, bucket loads of patience and be friendly.

And as for who is the boss, the guide is and I have had a couple guys who I have had to cut down a few notches, G/O never had a problem as he left me in charge while in the bush.

Have fun, be safe, take tons of pictures and enjoy yourself!!!

Cheers

SS

killswithkimber
07-09-2014, 07:52 PM
Who are you working for?

Fred1
07-09-2014, 08:30 PM
YEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!
You are doomed... you will stop shaving and calling home. You will learn HOW to drink whisky. You will learn how to bathe in a cup of water. You will no longer need women, but will be satisfied stealing pictures of the sears bra section from the fire news paper. You will learn to embrace the rain. You will have blood stains on everything. Your fingers will crack and split. You will start to like the pain. You will realize how good hot food really is. Your mom will worry. You may realize and end up believing an 800lb grizzly really can hide in a foot of grass. You will swim when you least expect it. You will not realize how bad you smell until you go to town. You will discover moose can appear from anywhere. You will stop noticing one wet foot. You will learn to love your tooth brush - if you don't already. You will realize dry socks really are worth half a bottle of whisky. You will not believe your rifle can get that heavy. You will want to quit your real job - if you have one - if you don't, don't get one just yet. You will devise new ways to crap in the bush nobody has thought of. You will have never slept so soundly. Your mom is still worried - better make a quick call. You will not believe 50 days of your life can fly by so fast. I can go on for pages... Yup You are doomed! Enjoy it!!

hunter1947
07-10-2014, 04:44 AM
If me I would ask your boss on what you need..

07-10-2014, 08:23 AM
YEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!
You are doomed... you will stop shaving and calling home. You will learn HOW to drink whisky. You will learn how to bathe in a cup of water. You will no longer need women, but will be satisfied stealing pictures of the sears bra section from the fire news paper. You will learn to embrace the rain. You will have blood stains on everything. Your fingers will crack and split. You will start to like the pain. You will realize how good hot food really is. Your mom will worry. You may realize and end up believing an 800lb grizzly really can hide in a foot of grass. You will swim when you least expect it. You will not realize how bad you smell until you go to town. You will discover moose can appear from anywhere. You will stop noticing one wet foot. You will learn to love your tooth brush - if you don't already. You will realize dry socks really are worth half a bottle of whisky. You will not believe your rifle can get that heavy. You will want to quit your real job - if you have one - if you don't, don't get one just yet. You will devise new ways to crap in the bush nobody has thought of. You will have never slept so soundly. Your mom is still worried - better make a quick call. You will not believe 50 days of your life can fly by so fast. I can go on for pages... Yup You are doomed! Enjoy it!!

So very true!