PDA

View Full Version : Cellular Trail Cams - Anyone have them working in BC?

billjc33
07-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Been trying to research cellular game cameras and I know some are not compatable in B.C. Does anyone have any experience with these and have them set up and working here? I usually run spypoint but reviews say there camera only works with AT&T in the states.

Thanks

Seeadler
07-08-2014, 10:39 AM
From my limited research, they are compatible with Rogers' coverage, or lack thereof.

moosecamp
07-08-2014, 10:43 AM
Just went on their web-site and the S-LIVE-3G cameras are compatible with Telus.

The Dawg
07-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Bchuntertv has/had some

message him

billjc33
07-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Bump - After doing some more research the spypoint live 3g gets really bad reviews on trigger speed. I'm currently on Bell mobilty and looking to see if anyone has gone through the set up and their results with getting these cameras. There seems to be little information on these in Canada and haven't been able to get any help from the Bell stores in town.

Ourea
07-13-2014, 05:26 PM
I am running Scoutguards married in with Rogers. No issues.

Something to be aware of is what network has the better reception in the area you wish to cam.
I went with Rogers as it had better coverage in the area I was focused on.

It is pretty sweet having pics SMS'd to your ph, especially if it saves you several hours of hiking each way.

Slinky Pickle
07-13-2014, 06:08 PM
I use a couple on the Rogers network. At the time, I couldn't find any that ran on Telus HSPA. The cameras I have seen typically run on GPRS. I'm not sure what the difference is put it didn't work on the Telus sim card that I tried.

It is SO cool getting pics on your phone!! :)

Elkaholic1977
07-13-2014, 07:24 PM
I've got a uway mb500 love it but it keeps ya up at night for sure, my phones whistling all night and its so hard not to look. mine runs on the rogers network costs $89/year for service. its about 30seconds to send a text. its also hard to concentrate on work getting texts all day long, and makes ya want to get up there quick! its addicting cant shut it off.

.300WSMImpact!
07-13-2014, 07:26 PM
I've got a uway mb500 love it but it keeps ya up at night for sure, my phones whistling all night and its so hard not to look. mine runs on the rogers network costs $89/year for service. its about 30seconds to send a text. its also hard to concentrate on work getting texts all day long, and makes ya want to get up there quick! its addicting cant shut it off.

if you have a smart phone you can shut the ringer off for each number,

.300WSMImpact!
07-13-2014, 07:27 PM
I love my cell cams, I run uway mb500, they are great and have to be on the rogers network, I do pay as you go for 3 months at a time, only problem is I keep putting them where the cow elk are not the bulls!

BlacktailStalker
07-13-2014, 08:57 PM
Buddy has a scoutguard, nothing but problems for almost a year, been returned twice (gone for months at a time) and now not working again.
His UWAY worked good for about 2 months, now it doesn't work either.

biggyun68
07-13-2014, 09:09 PM
Has anybody tried to give the camera an IP? And tap into that technology?

Cyrus
07-14-2014, 11:04 AM
must be nice to hunt in cell range!!!! I get one maybe 2 bars where I go depending on the right cloud that goes overhead. considered one of these cams but they are pricey unless you get an ebay china made one and from reading reviews there always seem to be problems with them.

bassplayer
07-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Been trying to research cellular game cameras and I know some are not compatable in B.C. Does anyone have any experience with these and have them set up and working here? I usually run spypoint but reviews say there camera only works with AT&T in the states.

Thanks
I'm a fan of Moultrie cams and they have a couple of cell cams but same thing, they are only compatible to work in the States.

Elkaholic1977
07-15-2014, 07:45 PM
I don't think i could get too excited on what id be missing out on!! lol

Sofa King
12-19-2014, 12:33 PM
I'm a fan of Moultrie cams and they have a couple of cell cams but same thing, they are only compatible to work in the States.

check on that.
I know it depends on what site you are reading, I've read that the spypoint and uway have to be on AT&T also, but that's clearly an American site saying that.
the uway is good through telus and bell and maybe even rogers too.
what I've found through researching, is with uway, you get the simcard and sd card included.
with the spypoint you don't.
also, spypoint increased their price, and worse yet, they have quite awful reviews overall.

bcsteve
12-19-2014, 09:37 PM
must be nice to hunt in cell range!!!! I get one maybe 2 bars where I go depending on the right cloud that goes overhead. considered one of these cams but they are pricey unless you get an ebay china made one and from reading reviews there always seem to be problems with them.

My thoughts exactly. I don't think I've ever hunted where there was cell reception. Real cool concept though.

.300WSMImpact!
12-20-2014, 01:04 AM
I have 2 uways I am happy with them, only problem I have had is the elk chewing off the antenna

Sofa King
12-20-2014, 01:10 AM
I have 2 uways I am happy with them, only problem I have had is the elk chewing off the antenna

ouch.
I was looking at the antennas.
that's also something that a bastich could always mess with even if it's secured in a box.
I think i'll be buying a spare and packing it with me, just in case there's ever any problems.

Drillbit
12-20-2014, 01:20 AM
So, live feed trail cams that go right to cell phone.

That is fair chase? Really??
Seems same as a drone to me.

Sofa King
12-20-2014, 02:06 AM
So, live feed trail cams that go right to cell phone.

That is fair chase? Really??
Seems same as a drone to me.

what's not fair chase about it?
I'm on a site working and the cam is sending pics to my computer at home.
I'm not even hunting, what's unfair about that?
for me, it's just a scouting tool.
it would let you know what the weather is at your hunting spot, etc.
if you had bait out, it would show you if you need to go up and set more, rather than wasting huge $$ on gas and time driving up there several times instead.

nothing like a drone.
a drone can be used to go seek out an animal.
a cam if attached to a stationary tree.
a drone is being currently manned and being personally operated.
a cam is isolated, stationary, etc.

Drillbit
12-20-2014, 09:57 AM
This is how I see it.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/story_slideshow_thumb/editorial/images/feed/msms/photos/4594236.jpg (http://chronicle.augusta.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/superphoto/editorial/images/feed/msms/photos/4594236.jpg)
Special
A utility contractor stumbled across this elaborate, Internet-controlled network of Web cameras and shotguns aimed at a food plot on a Georgia Power Co. right-of-way last fall. The network led to an inquiry by the Office of Homeland Security and other agencies.

Sofa King
12-21-2014, 08:57 PM

I'm really interested in the covert code black cam.
it's the best on the market by far.
similar thing, read everywhere and all that's ever mentioned is that it's strictly an AT&T cam.
but checked on their site, and under everything, it mentions that in Canada it can use a bell or rogers simcard.

which Moultrie models are cell cams?

caddisguy
12-22-2014, 08:32 AM
If you're into ordering stuff from China--and lets face it, most t-cams are, so you're just not "donating" to the middle men--dealextrme has cheap GSM and high res t-cams. I've been thinking of trying one of the cheap high-res non-gsm ones... I've bought other "clones" of cam equipment off there and I've been pretty impressed. I feel only slighly bad about not supporting the middle-man... but it's hard to justify paying $400 for something when I can get a similar gadget for $75... plus the last Moultrie cam (D444) I bought locally was a lemon and the shipping to get it serviced would have been 1/2 the price of the cam without any guarantee the problem would be fixed. So much for the mark-up of buying foreign made stuff locally. If I want to give away $ it's to the needy, not businesses. Check out dx for cam stuff. Free shipping too.

.300WSMImpact!
12-22-2014, 06:01 PM
If you're into ordering stuff from China--and lets face it, most t-cams are, so you're just not "donating" to the middle men--dealextrme has cheap GSM and high res t-cams. I've been thinking of trying one of the cheap high-res non-gsm ones... I've bought other "clones" of cam equipment off there and I've been pretty impressed. I feel only slighly bad about not supporting the middle-man... but it's hard to justify paying $400 for something when I can get a similar gadget for $75... plus the last Moultrie cam (D444) I bought locally was a lemon and the shipping to get it serviced would have been 1/2 the price of the cam without any guarantee the problem would be fixed. So much for the mark-up of buying foreign made stuff locally. If I want to give away $ it's to the needy, not businesses. Check out dx for cam stuff. Free shipping too.

what is dx??

caddisguy
12-22-2014, 07:01 PM
DealExtreme... the google will take you there.

I will probably try one of the generic high res cams off there. Not interested in GSM cams but I'm guessing they'd work just fine.

Coastfisher
12-23-2014, 09:48 PM
http://www.uwaycanada.ca

Sofa King
12-23-2014, 10:04 PM
the uway can give pretty iffy results from what I've found.
many bleached out daytime pics.
I was set on the mb600 and almost got it the other day.
but after some further reading, I'm going with the covert code black.
12MP and absolutely stunning daytime and nighttime pics.
bonus is that it's a lot less $$ also.

now, I've found that they are usable in Canada, on rogers and bell networks.
my question is, the units themselves are all the same, wouldn't they be?
they don't come from the factory programmed for Canada or the states do they?
I would think the units are all the same, and that as long as you use the compatible, regional sim cards, it will work.

Sofa King
12-23-2014, 10:07 PM
This is how I see it.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/story_slideshow_thumb/editorial/images/feed/msms/photos/4594236.jpg (http://chronicle.augusta.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/superphoto/editorial/images/feed/msms/photos/4594236.jpg)
Special
A utility contractor stumbled across this elaborate, Internet-controlled network of Web cameras and shotguns aimed at a food plot on a Georgia Power Co. right-of-way last fall. The network led to an inquiry by the Office of Homeland Security and other agencies.

not me.
the gas $$ and time saved by not having to drive out to the cam time after time to check the batteries, check the pictures, etc, is a huge, huge savings.
I'm not using it to watch and wait until I see a buck on it so I can go hunting that day.

Ourea
12-23-2014, 10:29 PM
Sofa King/Queen/Dualie ......how many cams do you currently run?
Of that fleet, how many different makes and models...and for how long have u run them?
What features did you look for and why ?
What performance reports can you give based on ur own personal field experience vs a web evaluation?

Coastfisher
12-25-2014, 12:16 AM
I run 4 Simmons whitetail cams video and stills are good for the price. Only time I have had washed out photos is if I have had the cams south facing or directly into the rising or setting sun.

Sofa King
12-25-2014, 12:35 AM
Sofa King/Queen/Dualie ......how many cams do you currently run?
Of that fleet, how many different makes and models...and for how long have u run them?
What features did you look for and why ?
What performance reports can you give based on ur own personal field experience vs a web evaluation?

and.....what's your point?
why not just right down to it and ask what you are really trying to ask.
what's it matter how many I currently have?
and what makes and models they are?
or how long I've had them?
just say what you want to say.

Sofa King
12-25-2014, 12:38 AM
http://www.gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/creepy/grand/creepy-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-723.gif

Sofa King
12-25-2014, 12:39 AM
http://www.gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/creepy/grand/creepy-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-723.gif

Sofa King
12-25-2014, 12:54 AM
so, ourea/urethra.....
do you have uways and are all butthurt because I said that there's lots of reports of them giving bleached-out pics or something.
what I've done is researched as much as I can before shelling out almost $600.00 for one t-cam.
I have a Moultrie and it's been a big pain in the ass to program.
it's a very cheap unit though, and other than it's finicky programming, it's actually given me great pics.
but the last few times it's been out, it's blasted piles of pics of nothing.
I've wanted to upgrade to a newer cam, they are so much smaller now and so much simpler.
and, mine takes a big 6volt battery which really sucks.
I think I kinda explained the features I was looking for.
a 3G model, which really narrows it down.
I was set on spypoint first, but they've increased their price, and are getting lots of bad reviews lately.
it was between that and uway mainly.
I then was pretty much buying the uway, I was going to wait until boxing day and see if it went on sale.
while waiting, I did more research and kept coming across the covert.
guys rave about how good they are, and, looking at the pics they produce it's very clear why.
if I am spending over $500 for one cam, I want it to be as good as it can be.
the quality of pics isn't even comparable, and 12MP compared to 8MP is mainly the reason.
and then when it turns out it's better AND is way cheaper than the uway, well, that pretty much sealed the deal.
I'm not giving uway that much extra for a lesser product, it's really that simple.

Sofa King
12-25-2014, 01:06 AM
the covert is on the way, it should be here just a bit into the new year.
whether it's better or not will remain to be seen.
but I'm not going to pay a Canadian company more just because they are Canadian.
if anything, they should be charging less BECAUSE they are Canadian.
should we turn this into another damn "resident vs non-resident" thread?
how about all the lower mainlanders who flood across the border every weekend to buy all their gas and groceries and food and everything else?
they do it because our own damn province has a hard-on for taxing the shit out of everything they can and F'ing it's residents at every opportunity they can.
but we take it because we love to live here.
if I have to insure my damn quad next year now just to help the province stuff some more $$ in their pockets, then I'm buying as much shit as I can from OUT of the province.

Deadshot
02-21-2016, 10:28 PM
Just bumping this up to present.
What's the latest?
How did the "Covert" pan out?
They've added a couple of cell towers where I hunt and this kind of cam may work out.

recoil
02-27-2016, 10:17 AM
I am interested as well, looking at the covert, easily had $400 worth of tools etc stolen from my cabin this year and we have bell/telus tower nearby. I have a couple local squatter type suspects in mind so this cam could easily pay for itself if it will identify them. And unlike a traditional cam I will still have their picture sent to me even if they destroy the cam or take the sd card.

264mag
10-19-2016, 08:34 AM
Is anyone using cell cams? If so how do they work in today's world?

Ourea
10-19-2016, 08:53 AM
Is anyone using cell cams? If so how do they work in today's world?

Yes.
Receiving pictures daily.
If you are wishing to deploy one, check to see what provider offers the best coverage in your targeted area.
If the area has weak reception......for $20 you can purchase a signal booster to increase reception (can add 1 or 2 bars)
It's a simple antenna with a 10 ft cable.

PM me if you want detailed info

264mag
10-19-2016, 09:22 AM
The area has good Telus service. What brand name and model do you use?

todbartell
10-19-2016, 09:27 AM
Check out the Ridgetec Summit

Stone Sheep Steve
10-19-2016, 10:41 AM
Check out the Ridgetec Summit

$600 for something that can walk away. ouch....

lank1234
10-19-2016, 11:14 AM
Toss a shameless plug in here, I have a brand new uway mb600 that I am selling. Pm me if you are interested

264mag
10-19-2016, 12:13 PM
I may be interested. PM me.
Thanks
Chuck

GROOTSKY
10-19-2016, 01:03 PM
I have had a Uway 600 out all summer at several locations without any major issues. I have found that the camera does not seem to get as good a signal as my cellphone does and I also found that my Uway is more sensitive to shadows than I would like. Even on the sensative setting I get the occasional picture on bright sunny days when the clouds go by the sun.

lank1234
10-19-2016, 09:49 PM
I have had a Uway 600 out all summer at several locations without any major issues. I have found that the camera does not seem to get as good a signal as my cellphone does and I also found that my Uway is more sensitive to shadows than I would like. Even on the sensative setting I get the occasional picture on bright sunny days when the clouds go by the sun.

If you have it on the sensitive setting then turn it down to normal or low. I have no issues with mine and I run it on high sensitivity most times.