PDA

View Full Version : Mini trucks for hunting

Wrayzer
07-05-2014, 06:05 PM
I'm possibly looking at getting a Japanese Mini Truck to use for running around town for work but also in the bush for hunting and rec use.
Any one here have one they use for hunting? I'm using a quad now but would like the heat and dryness of the cab in the cooler weather forsure. I'm concerned on accessing areas being more restricted in one.

Pros and cons?

markm7
07-05-2014, 06:11 PM
I heard they were amazing, put some snow tracks On it eventually and boom were up into
Whitetail territory for bow in December!!

Fisher-Dude
07-05-2014, 07:38 PM
I have to wonder how puny balljoints and other suspension components hold up after miles of washboard FSRs. Perhaps the lighter weight compensates somewhat when compared to fullsized trucks with beefy suspensions.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-05-2014, 07:49 PM
I have to wonder how puny balljoints and other suspension components hold up after miles of washboard FSRs. Perhaps the lighter weight compensates somewhat when compared to fullsized trucks with beefy suspensions.
Can't be any worse that a dodge diesel😕

bigredchev
07-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Suzuki samurai, for 2-3gs you got a quad with a cab. needs insurance, but youll forget about that in neg 20 putting around with a coffee in you hand vs. quadding and feeling the wind whip into every open flesh spot.

if its got good aftermarket and you see em heavily modded ie) samurai, Toyota mini truck 79-85 or Nissan.

full size trucks are heavier, somewhat tougher but easier to get stuck due to width and weight and once stuck have fun . a samurai truck is 2 friends and a hand come along whereas a full size is 10000lbs winch and snatch block.

tundra
07-05-2014, 08:24 PM
This is what I use and I have not had any problems getting to where I want to go. Cold, Wet, Hot or Dry..
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t402/tundra38/IMG_20140628_212646.jpg (http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/tundra38/media/IMG_20140628_212646.jpg.html)

keithb7
07-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Are talking about the Suzuki carry? The little mini cab over engine 4x4? They are real small. Cab is teeny. Small rims and tires too. Tire and rim selection is probably poor. Ground clearance will be a problem. You will probably have a real hard time finding any tires that will work off road. Anyone know the engine size? 1000 cc? Pretty under powered I would expect. You should seriously consider a Samurai or Sidekick. I settled on a '94 Sidekick. I preferred it over the Samurai as I preferred throttle body injection vs carburetor. Also Sidekick has independent front suspension versus solid front axle in the Samurai. 15" rims with 30.5 tires and a 2" lift. Take a look. These are very good hunting vehicles.

Vladimir Poutine
07-05-2014, 09:59 PM

They do quite well as long as you're not a fool on the speed. I did some work on mine with a kit from Altered Ego in Kelowna. Extra height and beefed up components. I'm no mechanic but the install was a breeze. It's a fun rig to tool around town in. It weighs 2300 lbs so I can put it legally in my trailer. The visibility is great as well. I took out 1 rear seat, put a roof rack on it and for under 5k I've got a great hunting rig. Now if I can get an LEH so I can really use it I'll be stylin'

cpearen
07-05-2014, 10:03 PM
Ive got a sambar. In the process of building it right now. I also got a few contacts on local parts for them, pm me if you've got any questions id be happy to help
They are great little trucks, they go everywhere

alot better than my loud a** powerstroke, thats for sure

locdog_99
07-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Why would you want independent suspension over solid axle....

Drillbit
07-05-2014, 10:42 PM

The Ride.

Same reason everyone wants IRS or solid rear axle in an ATV.

The only reason to go solid front axle on a 4by is it's cheaper to lift.

keithb7
07-05-2014, 10:43 PM

So I can drink my Tim's at 5am on the way to my favourite spot in Dec.

barry1974w
07-05-2014, 10:47 PM
A couple of my buddies have them and they like them a lot. Finding parts can be tough, tire selection isn't that bad (I'm pretty sure you can get 14" rims for them) and if you're in an area that you'll just be off road for a while, quad tires bolt right on. They get around really well with quad tires on them. And they're pretty cheap, I was in the market, but ended up with a tracker cause I need to haul myself, my wife and our son a fair bit of the time. The mini truck cabs start to feel pretty small with a pair a 220 lb guys in em.

czechsanchez
07-05-2014, 11:52 PM
compared to the cost of a side-by-side, they're great value and will hold their value longer.

I remember about 10 years ago when the japanese import graze started, i asked some kids importing skylines if they were gonna bring in landcruiser prados and mini trucks. and the guy said there was no market, I tried my best to convince him that 4x4 buyers were a way bigger market than fast cars to no avail.

buckshot
07-06-2014, 06:39 AM
Tundra, where did you get that winch bumper? Exactly what I'm looking for mine!

Bighorn hunter
07-06-2014, 07:07 AM
I have a 91 Suzuki carry and really like it. Bought it a few years ago and fixed it up for the bush. Custom paint, spray in box liner, 3" lift, 14" rims and tires, custom steel bush bumpers with 2" receiver front and back, heavy duty chains for rear,(not enough room on front for chains),6000 lb warn receiver winch, dual batterie

used it for a daily driver for work(carpenter) has headache rack for longer stuff. 30 mpg around town. Great little rig for sure, nice having the heater:)

only draw back for me is they only seat 2 and now that my kids are in school I haven't been using it so want to sell:(

$8500. Have about 15k into it. Winch was 2k so getting the truck for 6500 really

Cant figure out how to post pics off my phone but there is a pic in my gallery

here is a link to it I think
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC04326.JPG

Gun Dog
07-06-2014, 08:22 AM
The Ride.

The only reason to go solid front axle on a 4by is it's cheaper to lift.You get a lot more articulation from a solid front axle (unless you spend $$$$ for a custom setup). There's a reason solid axle swaps (SAS) are popular on Toyotas.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/attachments/classic-t4rs/19240d1239592061-solid-front-axle-swap-questions-38712_large-toyota_pickup_4runner-driver_front_side_view.jpg

panhead
07-06-2014, 08:39 AM
I'm sure you know it already but there is a place at the foot of 12th street in New West that imports them and sells them.

Wrayzer
07-06-2014, 08:44 AM
I have a 91 Suzuki carry and really like it. Bought it a few years ago and fixed it up for the bush. Custom paint, spray in box liner, 3" lift, 14" rims and tires, custom steel bush bumpers with 2" receiver front and back, heavy duty chains for rear,(not enough room on front for chains),6000 lb warn receiver winch, dual batterie

used it for a daily driver for work(carpenter) has headache rack for longer stuff. 30 mpg around town. Great little rig for sure, nice having the heater:)

only draw back for me is they only seat 2 and now that my kids are in school I haven't been using it so want to sell:(

$8500. Have about 15k into it. Winch was 2k so getting the truck for 6500 really

Cant figure out how to post pics off my phone but there is a pic in my gallery

here is a link to it I think
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC04326.JPG

Looks good Big Horn. I've read a lot of guys using atv tires for off-road use, but I am under the assumption they wouldn't be street legal.
I'd be using it to go job site to job site as well as off road, I get that the 660cc engines aren't the most powerful but it'll get from point A to B efficiently.

Drillbit
07-06-2014, 08:52 AM
You get a lot more articulation from a solid front axle (unless you spend $$$$ for a custom setup). There's a reason solid axle swaps (SAS) are popular on Toyotas.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/attachments/classic-t4rs/19240d1239592061-solid-front-axle-swap-questions-38712_large-toyota_pickup_4runner-driver_front_side_view.jpg

$$$$. Exactly, cheaper to lift solid axles.

Ride meaning potholes and washboard, not articulation.

Kami
07-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Buckshot that bumper most likely came from Altered Ego Motorsports in Kelowna. The home of Zuki Nation. I just picked up the exact same Bumper on Thursday there, and installed it. Great people there and high quality stuff. My 6,000 lb winch will be installed today.

A solid front axle means you get a rough bumpy, bouncy ride. Yes, easier and cheaper to lift, but be ready for sore man boobs. Lol.

bigredchev
07-06-2014, 10:01 AM
i hate to say it, but 8500 for any off road pickup is nuts. You can get 3 built sammys for that price. They frequently go for 3-4k asking price with winch and good tires and an OK body. Its for a hunting vehicle so as long as there is no rust who cares it gotta get used and scratched anyways.

Scuba_Dave
07-06-2014, 10:40 AM
The Ride.

The only reason to go solid front axle on a 4by is it's cheaper to lift.

Have independent suspension all around in my Jeep Patriot. Dear god is it amazing compared to my old Silverado!! And yeah...Lift kit...Ugh. Not going to happen for awhile lol

tundra
07-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Tundra, where did you get that winch bumper? Exactly what I'm looking for mine!

Hey Buckshot,

Kami is exactly right, the bumper came from Altered Ego home of Zuki Nation in Kelowna. Jeff and Pam are great people to deal with and they have a lot of great products for the Suzuki Samurai, Sidekick or the Tracker.

Bighorn hunter
07-06-2014, 12:12 PM
i hate to say it, but 8500 for any off road pickup is nuts. You can get 3 built sammys for that price. They frequently go for 3-4k asking price with winch and good tires and an OK body. Its for a hunting vehicle so as long as there is no rust who cares it gotta get used and scratched anyways.

I guess its it's just what u can afford or what your needs are. I really liked that this style has a box, especially when I was using it for a daily driver hauling lumber but also I did haul my quad in the back. Still a lot cheaper than a side by side.

Liveforthehunt
07-06-2014, 12:26 PM
If your going to spend 8500 dollars your far better off getting something a bit bigger like a Toyota land cruiser BJ-40/42 early to mid 80's or a Toyota hilux are coming down in price .... Both diesel the landcruiser has great fuel mileage and the name explains itself .... Very simple easy to work on and run forever ....

REMINGTON JIM
07-06-2014, 12:29 PM
This is what I use and I have not had any problems getting to where I want to go. Cold, Wet, Hot or Dry..
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t402/tundra38/IMG_20140628_212646.jpg (http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/tundra38/media/IMG_20140628_212646.jpg.html)

Nice Sidekick there tundra :wink: - i would like to see more pics of your front winch bumper - ? What winch did you fit in it ? Thks :) RJ

kentucky
07-06-2014, 05:18 PM
My buddy has a Mitsabishi right hand drive pickup that we use for hunting pros- cheap to run, go anywhere, very quiet, heater, etc. cons- no room for big people, lousy defroster, no room for guns, very tight if wearing heavy winter coat, standard gear shift is a piece of junk[never know what gear you're in] and pricy to buy. I also own and use 4-door Tracker for hunting and run about. Half the cost to buy. Easier to drive in the bush. More room. Better heater, etc

buckshot
07-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Thanks Tundra and Kami, I look these guys up!

keithb7
07-06-2014, 09:19 PM
There were a few Q's here about Sidekicks, winches, ect. So I thought I would elaborate a little:

I have a Zuki Nation bumper on my '94 Sidekick. Here it is below. With this little 1.6L 80 HP engine, bolting on all the extra things adds weight, and can have a real effect on power. I believe a stock sidekick weighs in at about 2,000 lbs. I figured a 6,000 lb winch should cover most any predicament we get into. Anything bigger just adds more weight. Warn does not currently make a 6,000 lb winch but Princess auto stocks a UTV winch rated at 6,000 lbs, The brand name is Keeper. Made in China, but so are the Warns so I went for it. Normally priced at $399, I waited for it to go on sale. Sure enough it did last week. $299. Was a simple easy install and it seems to work as it should. Just gonna have to put it to a test out in the bush to be sure.

My Sidekick project is still in the works. Every month or so I add more stuff. This one has 2" suspension spacer kit. New 2000 year Ford E-250 van rear shocks (a perfect fit). 30x9.5 tires, a hidden starter dis-abler switch and a few more goodies. A VHF radio to come, LED lights, and a roof rack, which I will also get from Zuki Nation. Maybe a shovel. So far I am quite impressed where we have been able to take this 60" wide 4x4. It's light and can turn around pretty much in it's own length. This will be our first hunting season with it after selling our quads. Looking forward to it!

keithb7
07-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Something wrong with the board tonight I can't get my photos to show. Try these links:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-g4keTER5bEE/U7oeVT5vIRI/AAAAAAAACLY/1lwStpvfKqk/w958-h719-no/photo+%25282%2529.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TeOvwb8XK78/U7oePc1CDnI/AAAAAAAACLI/YjArRJ-n8xA/w958-h719-no/photo+%25281%2529.JPG

knockturnal
07-06-2014, 09:34 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-g4keTER5bEE/U7oeVT5vIRI/AAAAAAAACLY/1lwStpvfKqk/w958-h719-no/photo+%25282%2529.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TeOvwb8XK78/U7oePc1CDnI/AAAAAAAACLI/YjArRJ-n8xA/w958-h719-no/photo+%25281%2529.JPG

keithb7
07-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Sweet! Thanks. Not sure what I was doing wrong. Seems to work every other time I do it.

Buckmeister
07-06-2014, 10:41 PM
These mini mini trucks are interesting to say the least. I saw one once with quad tires and wheels on it. Very aggressive but likely not road legal here in BC, even if it was radial quad tires. I would think they would lack the breakover angles in more extreme terrain. But who knows until you try?

Are talking about the Suzuki carry? The little mini cab over engine 4x4? They are real small. Cab is teeny. Small rims and tires too. Tire and rim selection is probably poor. Ground clearance will be a problem. You will probably have a real hard time finding any tires that will work off road. Anyone know the engine size? 1000 cc? Pretty under powered I would expect. You should seriously consider a Samurai or Sidekick. I settled on a '94 Sidekick. I preferred it over the Samurai as I preferred throttle body injection vs carburetor. Also Sidekick has independent front suspension versus solid front axle in the Samurai. 15" rims with 30.5 tires and a 2" lift. Take a look. These are very good hunting vehicles.

There are Samurai's out there with EFI, I should know I owned one, it was a 1991. Most people don't realize the Sammy was produced right up to 1998 and came with more modern components. I would take a solid front axle over IFS any day in the bush for strength and reliability and cost of maintenance.

I like my quad for where it can get me, but there are days I wish I had a closed cab, heated, road legal, go anywhere machine. Good candidates for that are the Samurai/Sidekick, early toyota pickups or LandCruisers, other mini trucks, and Jeeps. But one day I hope to be driving and hunting with my 1948 Willys.....the original quad!

Buckmeister
07-06-2014, 10:48 PM
But my favorite suspension by far is solid axles on coil springs, as was found under my FZJ80 Land Cruiser. Strength, durability, no nonsense, and a very decent ride. If one wants to spend the coin, or is mechanically inclined or an engineer or fabricator, one can put a coil suspension for just about any solid axle vehicle to replaces the leaves.

Foxtail
07-07-2014, 05:26 AM
My favorite little truck for the bush is the 89and up Toyota regular cab short box 4x4 4cyl efi. Harder to find these days but well worth it.

Fisher-Dude
07-07-2014, 06:26 AM
My buddy has a Mitsabishi right hand drive pickup that we use for hunting pros- cheap to run, go anywhere, very quiet, heater, etc. cons- no room for big people, lousy defroster, no room for guns, very tight if wearing heavy winter coat, standard gear shift is a piece of junk[never know what gear you're in] and pricy to buy. I also own and use 4-door Tracker for hunting and run about. Half the cost to buy. Easier to drive in the bush. More room. Better heater, etc

I saw a couple of dudes with Kolpin scabbards mounted in the box for their rifles, as they too found no room in the cab for them. I remember thinkin' that I wouldn't want my rifle hammering around for a couple hundred kms of rough road on wet days like that...

kentucky
07-07-2014, 09:44 AM
That is where we have to carry our rifles. Not the quickest nor smoothest place. Also have to stow heavy coats, backpacks, any extras in a utility box in the back.

Kami
07-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Samurai used parts seem to be getting more scarce and climbing in price. Are Sammy owners starting to horde parts? A few scrap yards I contacted said they rarely see Sammys and Sidekicks, they are guessing all the hunters are putting them to good use. Any Sammy owners having a little more difficulty than expected, sourcing used parts?

tundra
07-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Nice Sidekick there tundra :wink: - i would like to see more pics of your front winch bumper - ? What winch did you fit in it ? Thks :) RJ

Thanks RJ!!!
It has been a bit of a labour of love in the sense I like to build trucks. I ended up with this due to divorce and losing my truck and quads and all the usual stuff that happens in a divorce. LOL But in the long run it worked out for the better. So what I have is a 95 Sidekick with a 3" Calimini lift, Custom cold air intake, header, mechanical advance cam timing key, completely rebuilt front end including all steering and suspension components, bfg muds 30 x 9.5 x 15, Centre Force Dual Friction Clutch, the Altered Ego front bumper, a warn vr 8000 lbs winch, rigid d2 flood lights, rigid 10" combo M series light, Altered Ego skid plate, Altered Ego fender flares and inside I have built a custom bow holder to minimize the use of the minimal space and I am currently working on a custom rifle holder for driver and passenger. I use a receiver hitch rack to transport game. The rack was purchased at Princess Auto. I also have a hidden kill switch to prevent theft. The other great thing is that parts are readily available new and rather inexpensive. I don't have my truck right now as I have lent it to a friend while his vehicle is broken down. I'm not allowed to drive for two more weeks due to a couple of recent heart attacks. So I will get a couple of updated pictures to post. I still have a couple of other things left on the list to complete this build but for the most part it is done. Sorry for going a little off topic Wrayzer. But I have used my Sidekick for two seasons of hunting so far and I have never had a problem. It will be even better now with all of the extras finished.

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t402/tundra38/IMG_20140628_212631.jpg (http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/tundra38/media/IMG_20140628_212631.jpg.html)

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t402/tundra38/IMG_20140629_1549011.jpg (http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/tundra38/media/IMG_20140629_1549011.jpg.html)

quaint bucket
07-08-2014, 11:55 AM
looks pretty sick.

BCMarc
04-16-2016, 08:43 PM
Bringing this one back from the dead. Guys that have these, where did you buy? Looking into one in lieu of a SxS for work around the farm.

eaglesnester
04-17-2016, 07:01 AM
These trucks are used by farmers in Okinawa and the mainland Japan. While I was stationed there I saw scads of em. Many were loaded with farm tools and the truck farmers use. They seemed to perform and seemed to be dependable as I did not see any beside the road broke down. I do believe their top seed is somewhere around 90 klicks or so.

barry1974w
04-17-2016, 08:54 AM
If anybody has a four door tracker they're parting out, I'm looking for a left side caliber bracket. Please shoot me a PM if you know of one that's available.

have a great day.

ruger#1
04-17-2016, 09:08 AM
Bringing this one back from the dead. Guys that have these, where did you buy? Looking into one in lieu of a SxS for work around the farm. One of the guys at work have one for their farm. Small wheels. ext. cab. 900cc motor. Has a dump box the converts to a flat deck. He paid about 6gs. It is in camo. Looks nice. He bought at a place in Surrey that imports them. He works on a different shift then I do. If you want the info. Then I can leave a note in his locker. He is also a hunter.

ruger#1
04-17-2016, 09:14 AM
Not sure if this is the place. But I would hold out for a EXT cab. More room for your hunting equip.
http://www.japaneseminitrucks.ca/wp_car_dealer/

ruger#1
04-17-2016, 09:18 AM
Closer to you. They look good in camo.

http://rockymountainminitrucks.net/

Bowzone_Mikey
04-17-2016, 10:50 AM
Q. How much will these trucks haul?
A. They will haul approximately 800lbs.

They very reason I went with a SXS than one of these

rocksteady
04-17-2016, 12:17 PM
You can probly find an older forerunner (90 to 94) for under a grand.
parts are super easy to find...

i would post post pics of mine but then everyone would recognize it and know my hunting honey holes...

i saw a v6 1990 auto in Cranny for $800...

yup up it needs some tlc but it is not an $8500 tab to start with

dino
04-18-2016, 02:18 PM
How cheap is it to lock the diffs? On the tracker.

BCMarc
04-18-2016, 04:26 PM
One of the guys at work have one for their farm. Small wheels. ext. cab. 900cc motor. Has a dump box the converts to a flat deck. He paid about 6gs. It is in camo. Looks nice. He bought at a place in Surrey that imports them. He works on a different shift then I do. If you want the info. Then I can leave a note in his locker. He is also a hunter.

If you happen to be able to find out, that would be cool. Also curious how often he uses that dump box. Trying to decide if that is a nice to have that we will never use, or a must have.

taxidermy man
04-18-2016, 04:40 PM
Actually you guys should do some research on a polaris ranger UTV.They are amazing vehicles for going offroading and getting through those tight trails that trucks cant go.
Plus they keep you warm providing you get one with a door and roof.Polaris also offers variations to pick from.This picture is what they look like.

http://atvillustrated.com/files/2015.polaris.ranger-xp900northstar.red_.front-left.riding.on-snow.jpg

ruger#1
04-18-2016, 05:03 PM
If you happen to be able to find out, that would be cool. Also curious how often he uses that dump box. Trying to decide if that is a nice to have that we will never use, or a must have. I will check tonight.

walks with deer
04-18-2016, 06:10 PM
I have a 2 wheel drive carry all..
cheap as hell to drive got it stuck once with both kids and wife in the truck I lifted it out.. lol.

Cheap with a heater and insurable that said traction lacks on steep grades you can see everywhere I climbed my personal mountain.

Xenomorph
04-18-2016, 11:04 PM
Actually you guys should do some research on a polaris ranger UTV.They are amazing vehicles for going offroading and getting through those tight trails that trucks cant go.
Plus they keep you warm providing you get one with a door and roof.Polaris also offers variations to pick from.This picture is what they look like.

http://atvillustrated.com/files/2015.polaris.ranger-xp900northstar.red_.front-left.riding.on-snow.jpg

Or CanAm Defender (max) 2 or 4 seater with the little box behind

ruger#1
04-19-2016, 02:10 AM
Or CanAm Defender (max) 2 or 4 seater with the little box behind Minnie truck $6,000. The others around $10,000 to $15,000. I would take the Minni.

ruger#1
04-19-2016, 02:12 AM
If you happen to be able to find out, that would be cool. Also curious how often he uses that dump box. Trying to decide if that is a nice to have that we will never use, or a must have. I put a note in his locker. Should have an answer tomorrow night.

finaddict
04-19-2016, 08:38 AM
I saw a couple of dudes with Kolpin scabbards mounted in the box for their rifles, as they too found no room in the cab for them. I remember thinkin' that I wouldn't want my rifle hammering around for a couple hundred kms of rough road on wet days like that... Sidekicks have a Seat belt tower in the back for the rear seats. I yanked the rear seat in mine and bought a couple of cheap soft sided gun cases and bolted the butt end to the seat belt tower. VOILA! Instant scabbards to two rifles and they are out of the way of anything else you carry in the back :cool:

fuzzybiscuit
04-19-2016, 07:28 PM
I've had two mini trucks. A Suzuki Carry and a Mitsibishi Mini-Cab.

I hated the right hand drive. Cool little trucks but being a right-hander it made it hard to shoot out the right side window. Always had to take someone with me so that I could be the passenger. It was that, or learn to shoot left handed.

northernbc
04-19-2016, 08:19 PM
I've had two mini trucks. A Suzuki Carry and a Mitsibishi Mini-Cab.

I hated the right hand drive. Cool little trucks but being a right-hander it made it hard to shoot out the right side window. Always had to take someone with me so that I could be the passenger. It was that, or learn to shoot left handed.

that there is kinda funny

oolichan
04-26-2016, 08:56 PM
Minnie truck $6,000. The others around $10,000 to $15,000. I would take the Minni.
Bingo. I am into my two door hardtop tracker for 6k. 3" suspension lift with 33" mickey thompson mudders . Going to add a welded reciever front and back and a winch so another 1500 or so to finish. I go almost everywhere my buddy does in his 15k sxs and I can drive there or tow behind my truck. Heat in winter and comfy.

Nothing against sxs, they are awesome but very expensive and require a trailer.