PDA

View Full Version : fresh road kill deer, who eats it?

NEEHAMA
03-02-2007, 12:06 PM
i was told about a guy that calls the CO's if he finds road kill and they grant him permission to salvage the meat. would you eat a bumper deer?
alot of us cut our own meat, why not? if i was driving along and a calve moose got hit in front of me- damn rights i'd call the CO's and see if i can
take it home! i wouldn't pick up a ugly old mule deer. but a calve elk or calve moose!- can't leave that on the road!

MB_Boy
03-02-2007, 12:12 PM
A number of years ago we were on the last day of Whitey season with one tag to fill and we just happened to hit a 3x3 and he was not going to make it so to put him out of his misery his throat was quickly slit. This is about 5 am.......so we dragged him off the road. Well needless to say we didn't harvest a deer that day and the "good" three quarters of that buck came home with us with a cut tag.

Elkhound
03-02-2007, 12:13 PM
I would. But hey, I hit a bunny last year on my way to work and I stopped and picked it up. Cleaned it at work and ate it for dinner that night. Kids thought it was great. The wife just gives me a look:lol:

Gateholio
03-02-2007, 12:13 PM
I carry a small bbq and salt and pepper in my truck at all time,s just in case...

Elkhound
03-02-2007, 12:14 PM
I carry a small bbq and salt and pepper in my truck at all time,s just in case...

:lol:Leave it to the chef:lol:

Silent Wolf
03-02-2007, 12:46 PM
ElkHound,

You B@$T@RD u killed BugsBunny:twisted: .

As for hit game I would if I saw it happen and there wasn't to much meat damage to the game. I know a lot of poeple that have done it around here.

SW:lol: 8)

Elkhound
03-02-2007, 12:50 PM
ElkHound,

You B@$T@RD u killed BugsBunny:twisted: .

Hey, I had to swerve a couple of times. That sucker almost got away:lol:

Rock Doctor
03-02-2007, 12:57 PM
I have, and would again. A buddy of mine saw a Grayhound Bus hit a calf moose, so he stopped and loaded it up then took it to the local CO. He was told that it was illegal to stop and pick it up, but they let him keep it anyway.

rollingrock
03-02-2007, 01:27 PM

:lol::lol::lol:Now that's funny!

000buck
03-02-2007, 01:37 PM
mmmmmmmmm "grilled"... moose chunks:lol:

NEEHAMA
03-02-2007, 01:54 PM
"carry a small bbq and salt and pepper in my truck at all time,s just in case"

GATE THAT MADE ME LAUGH BRO!

but seriously Gate is right, we should be prepared at all times. you never no when food might happen!!!

Fisher-Dude
03-02-2007, 02:22 PM
It's illegal. I'm not sure who wants to pick asphalt from their teeth and risk a fine and Wildlife Act record. I always get a full freezer in season, so I definitely would not.

I did hear of a CO who calls the local F/N fellows to come and get what they can from road killed moose.

NEEHAMA
03-02-2007, 03:16 PM
re read it fish, the road kill claimer would call the CO to get a permit to move or claim his prize. and why would you eat the road rash parts? cut that off and enjoy the good stuff. but your saying you would waste the meat?

Fisher-Dude
03-02-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm saying I have no use for it when I let 30 to 40++ bucks go every year because my freezer's well-stocked. I find it fairly easy to put a meat buck in the freezer early in the season, then look for something bigger until time runs out and I take a sausage buck and/or get the big guy. Every few years I get an elk or moose to provide a couple of year's meat too. I guess if a guy doesn't have the time/luck/skill (no slag intended, but some folks just don't have a lot of experience behind them) and wants to eat road kill, then fly at 'er. I don't know what the COs would say because they hate to set precedents on these types of things.

I don't think a dead deer in nature goes to waste, if you can call the side of the highway "nature". In fact, nature uses much more of the animal (all of it) than we as humans use.

Phil
03-02-2007, 03:43 PM
I would'nt have a problem with eating road kill as long as I saw the animal hit and as long as it could be done with in the law. However, I would be reluctant to do it in an area that I was planning to hunt because I wouldn't want to lose the the opportunity to fill a tag through actual hunting.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-02-2007, 04:23 PM
I believe licensed trappers can stop and pick up roadkill. Not sure if they have to call it in or not. Maybe Pete can provide some insight to this issue.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
03-02-2007, 04:24 PM
I believe licensed trappers can stop and pick up roadkill. Not sure if they have to call it in or not. Maybe Pete can provide some insight to this issue.

SSS

Now don't ya be runnin' into them deers with that Dual-Sport SSS!

Gateholio
03-02-2007, 04:36 PM
BC's roadkill laws are the reason for my BBQ.

They say you can't transport roadkilled wildlife, but no mention of chowing down on the spot!8-)

Elkhound
03-02-2007, 04:44 PM

They say you can't transport roadkilled wildlife, but no mention of chowing down on the spot!8-)

LMAO.....sorry I am just picturing you arguing with a CO with you BBQing on the tailgate wearing your apron and chef hat.:lol:

hunter1947
03-02-2007, 04:46 PM
I would meats meat ,hunter 1947.

Silent Wolf
03-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Well there is the Show the Take Home Chef....

Hmm wonder how the Road Side Chef would fly:smile: on TLC8)

SW

Will
03-02-2007, 04:49 PM
:lol:
http://www.nationaltailgate.com/store/cart.php?target=image&action=detailed_image&id=97

eastkoot
03-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Had the "pleasure" today, yes it was a pleasure cause the elk had layed there for hours with 2 broken legs, to dispatch and it's not a pretty site. If you want to contend with the natural "vultures" and eat the crap that's left after it's hit and lays there for hours waiting for someone to put it out of it's misery, your sick..I see several a day and it makes me sick each time.. Carry on !!!

hunter1947
03-02-2007, 04:56 PM
I would take the meat ,meats meat to me. hunter 1947.

eastkoot
03-02-2007, 04:57 PM
It's also elligal without a permit to touch the animal for meat or horns.. If you are a native, you can get a permit pretty quick, otherwise, not likely.. Do you want the meat from an animal that is broken, busted and bloodshot from stem to stern and has been lying there for hours suffering.. They say they don't feel pain, I'll post some pictures of what's left before they are dispatched and still crawling and twitching and you tell me... If you lived in an area like I do and travel the highways to see the carnage, you would have nothing to do with the poor animals, other than wish for a quick death.. 9 times out of 10 the animal is GOA which means no one finds it, it just crawls on 2 legs or with its guts hanging for a slow death..Buy a f**cking porkchop if your that hungry !!!!

butcher
03-02-2007, 05:10 PM
I processed a few road kills in years past for guys who had gotten a permit from the CO service. After a while I decided it wasn't a good idea. The meat all stunk to high heaven, even the stuff that had been finished with a rifle and gutted right away.

bsa30-06
03-02-2007, 05:11 PM

Elkhound , them wabitts are pretty fast eh!!!!!!!!!!!

Gateholio
03-02-2007, 05:39 PM
I onc had a doe jump in front of my truck, and I smacked her in the head- dead insantly.

I was tempted to take her home, because apart from the head, there was no damage- She woudl have been good eating.

I've laso had the displeasure of seeing a doe on the side of the road, kicking a bit. I stopped and she tried to get up, but one leg was almost torn off, and it looked like her rear end wasn't working- broken spine.

I shot her, then wondered *how* a person coudl leave a still live animal like that. I woudl have used a big rock or a pocketknife if I had to. Or even driven over her agian, or somethign....

Animals feel pain just liek humans, anyone that has seen an animal limping can easily tell it's in pain. They just process the pain info differently. We look for medical aid and/or Tylenol, they try to live.

hunter1947
03-02-2007, 05:39 PM
It's also elligal without a permit to touch the animal for meat or horns.. If you are a native, you can get a permit pretty quick, otherwise, not likely.. Do you want the meat from an animal that is broken, busted and bloodshot from stem to stern and has been lying there for hours suffering.. They say they don't feel pain, I'll post some pictures of what's left before they are dispatched and still crawling and twitching and you tell me... If you lived in an area like I do and travel the highways to see the carnage, you would have nothing to do with the poor animals, other than wish for a quick death.. 9 times out of 10 the animal is GOA which means no one finds it, it just crawls on 2 legs or with its guts hanging for a slow death..Buy a f**cking porkchop if your that hungry !!!! I don't like pork chops ,:lol: hunter 1947.

The Hermit
03-02-2007, 05:44 PM

Funny *******!!! LOL

browningboy
03-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Are you guys actually serious?? Eat roadkill, sounds like Kentucky hillbillies in the old days!LOL Only one I can picture collecting roadkill to eat would be some bushbilly that lives in the woods in the middle of nowhere and doesn't know any better.:lol:
Sorry if I offend anyone, but if one did that in the "city" you would probably living in riverdale as people would think your nuts!

RiverOtter
03-02-2007, 09:57 PM
SSS,

Pete must be MIA, so I'll speak up here.

Trappers can legally pick up road-kill wildlife as long as they weren't driving the vehicle that hit the animal.
-The meat is unfit for human consumpton(Not sure how they define that)
-Must fill out a road-kill possessinon Report within 30 days. Pages 92/93 in the regs.
They also stipulate "dead", so I assume if you want to use it for bait, you couldn't legally put it out of its misery and then haul it away, you'd have to wait for it to die on its own.:rolleyes:

Still picturing Gate in his chef hat and cones out on either side of the BBQ to direct traffic around the road-kill cookout.

What are the laws concerning doggy bags for left overs?.....Laffin hard

RO

Husky7mm
03-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Doesnt sound very appetizing. If you guys are soooo hungry why not just apply for some doe tags in a low odd area?

mapguy
03-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Elkhound too funny think imgoing to laugh myself to death

mapguy
03-03-2007, 08:38 AM
I spoke to a co about it once and he said it would be ok i believe your suppose to phone him to get permission first . MOst of the carcass will be tottally bloodshot not even fit for a dog . But is it worth the effort .

mntman
03-03-2007, 08:43 AM

is this road hunting 60 mph and a steel bumper lol

mark
03-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Many years ago in 100 mile, my neighbor witnessed a cow moose get smacked in the head by a semi. He phoned the CO, got permission to take it. He was by himself, driving a toyota 4x4, couldnt load it, so he dragged it home. about 15 miles of highway! There was snow on the road so it wasnt grinded to the bone just the hair came off! he said he got some pretty weird looks on the drive home!

wsm
03-03-2007, 09:33 AM
is the meat ok? i thought it would be blood shot (bruised) so ive never really thought of taking it home.

RiverOtter
03-03-2007, 09:53 AM
is the meat ok? i thought it would be blood shot (bruised) so ive never really thought of taking it home.

All depends on how hard and where it was hit. I've witnessed a few deer hits and all that got whacked was the head, other times they pin ball around under a logging truck and come out in 10 pound chuncks.

I wouldn't say I'd absolutely not consider a road kill animal, but I'd be pretty picky about what parts I took and how fresh the kill was.

RO

Shop Lord
03-03-2007, 10:01 AM
I hit a doe one time right in the head with the headlight of the car. There wasn't a mark on the deer. While we were waiting for the cops to show up about 5 people asked if they could have the deer. This happened in Ontario where the police will write you a "tag" for the butcher. I kept the deer.

hunter1947
03-03-2007, 10:03 AM
If i picked up a road kill and i did it acording to the law ,i would take the animal home clean it and skin it ,take the meat that was OK ,package it in put it in my freezer ,this animal if i did take it would have to be within a two hr period after it was killed. hunter 1947.

dana
03-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Here's a question for ya, why is meat not eaten by humans considered wasted???? A ton of other critters are very very thankful for roadkill. I've seen bald eagles, golden eagles, ravens, magpies, coyotes, martins, wolves, wolverines, black bears and grizz chowing down at the RoadKill Cafe. The meat never goes to waste. Heck, maggots got to eat too. ;)

Fisher-Dude
03-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Here's a question for ya, why is meat not eaten by humans considered wasted???? A ton of other critters are very very thankful for roadkill. I've seen bald eagles, golden eagles, ravens, magpies, coyotes, martins, wolves, wolverines, black bears and grizz chowing down at the RoadKill Cafe. The meat never goes to waste. Heck, maggots got to eat too. ;)

I agree. It's like a 230" muley shed that's out there, waiting to be picked up, that is chewed down to a 120" dinky dog deer before someone finds it! Not wasted at all IMHO! :wink:

http://www.mrsmcgowan.com/frosty2002/anthony_mouse.jpg

Gateholio
03-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Are you guys actually serious?? Eat roadkill, sounds like Kentucky hillbillies in the old days!LOL Only one I can picture collecting roadkill to eat would be some bushbilly that lives in the woods in the middle of nowhere and doesn't know any better.:lol:
Sorry if I offend anyone, but if one did that in the "city" you would probably living in riverdale as people would think your nuts!

ADD bbq SAUCE...

JohnS
03-03-2007, 11:36 AM
If i picked up a road kill and i did it acording to the law ,i would take the animal home clean it and skin it ,take the meat that was OK ,package it in put it in my freezer ,this animal if i did take it would have to be within a two hr period after it was killed. hunter 1947.

I picked up a road Kill Cow Elk this past year and it was Awesome!!! yes your right it has to be in the 2 hr zone I got 3/4 of a Elk:lol: one front quarter was waste the rest was excellent it got a head shot from a truck..... called the CO and it was alright to take....8-)

Rainwater
03-03-2007, 11:56 AM
I don't know what city Riverdale is Browningboy and us roadkill eatin' hillillies don't care what you fancyboys from the city think either. We are fightin for roadkilled whitetail yearlings up here in the good country.

Derek_Erickson
03-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Cougar Hound Foood

Gateholio
03-03-2007, 01:03 PM
I don't know what city Riverdale is Browningboy and us roadkill eatin' hillillies don't care what you fancyboys from the city think either. We are fightin for roadkilled whitetail yearlings up here in the good country.

Riverdale is howm to Archie, Betty, Veronica and Jughead.8-)

Kirby
03-03-2007, 01:35 PM
I would have to know how the deer died. I smacked a doe with my crummy 2 years ago, crushed her head, and she landed in a snowbank, would've eaten her. However I was also in a truck that hit a young doe, broke all four legs, and her back, it was pretty messed up, I ended her by the method of axe+head, I wouldn't have touched her for meat.

So unless you saw it die, it could have sat there for hours, I think that meat would be better left to the coyotes.

Kirby

browningboy
03-03-2007, 10:23 PM

You are fighting for roadkill??? Why not just fill your tag or go to the store!LOL:lol: Sorry, I guess I'm a fancy boy!:-(

boxhitch
03-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Nothing wrong with dining on suitable roadkill, maybe not everyone has an adequate supply, so have at it.
Picking up roadkill is probably only against the regs, so that it doesn't become a harvest method, for meat or trophies.
Trappers can pick it up, with the intent of using as bait, part of the reason I am taking the trappers course. Move to a stratigic location, and feed the cycle of life.

littlebear.
03-03-2007, 11:15 PM
my dad and his hunting buddys onces found a poched bull moose, so he phoned the CO and the CO came and told them they could have it if one of them punched there tag. He sure tasted good.

longhairmtnman
03-03-2007, 11:42 PM
What the Hell I ate moose tongue!:shock: Haven't had the oppertunity on deer....but, I have a hillbilly background(I only eat porkchops from the Picton farm) and banjo music in my blood... so yes, I probably would.

Birddog
03-04-2007, 12:45 AM
I think the guy making refernce to Riverdale meant Riverview. Riverview is the name of a mental hospital in the lower mainland.

Cheers Birddog

300 wsm
03-04-2007, 01:38 AM
if its fresh and clean just call and hell ill eat it

mrdoog
03-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Riverdale is where Archie, Betty and Veronica live.
I'm pretty sure no one, let alone an animal has ever died in Riverdale, so it's a not an issue.