PDA

View Full Version : hunting rain gear

mikeboehm
07-04-2014, 06:04 PM
im going to Haida Gwaii to hunt Sitka blacktails this fall and im looking for a very good set of raingear. must be waterproof for all day hunting in downpours and be breathable. and fairly quiet. anyone familar with the first lite stormtight jacket.

what are you using and opinions on the raingear

mikeboehm
07-04-2014, 06:17 PM
what about the HH impertech

WKCotts
07-04-2014, 06:35 PM
what about the HH impertech

Kuiu chugach nx. It's the best and 20% off but the sale ends tonight

Fred1
07-04-2014, 06:47 PM
If your plowing thu bush for any length of time expect anything "gore text" or brethable to lose is "water proofness". The rubbing and constant contact with the brush will wear it down. That's just the limitation to brethable fabrics. Again most of our high end gore text type rain gear will be noisy. Again due to how brethables are made. Some do have a bit of a covering to try and limit the noise but that covering just holds water. If you are going to be moving thru wet bush quite a bit I would go with any standard non breatheable gear. It's just tougher and a fraction of the price. The critters don't care what you wear....

RiverOtter
07-07-2014, 04:12 AM
For dedicated rain gear HH Impertech is great stuff.

Spitzer
07-07-2014, 07:17 PM
For dedicated rain gear HH Impertech is great stuff.

Great raingear for the price, best I've ever had. Light weight,packable and stretches.

mikeboehm
07-07-2014, 07:57 PM
where the best black to buy helly hanson in the lower mainland

mikeboehm
07-07-2014, 08:02 PM
those of you that use the HH impertech rain gear. do u need to buy a size bigger than your actual size or are they built bigger to go over everything

ducktoller
07-07-2014, 09:12 PM
where the best black to buy helly hanson in the lower mainland

Mark's

There's a helly store but they don't really do the workwear

The Hermit
07-08-2014, 12:39 AM
I have both the Kuiu and First Lite rain gear. Both are awesome. I give the edge to First Lite because it seems a little tougher. Basically you can't go wrong with either.

BiG Boar
07-08-2014, 06:40 AM
I just picked up the new kuiu yukon rain gear. Definitely tougher than the Chugach gear I already have. Look forward to using it. After 3 years I had a few rips in the Chugach stuff, but that was after a ton of use. It is a bit heavier though, so I bet I will still use the Chugach on a lot of hunts.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-08-2014, 07:57 AM
HH Impertect weighs less then the sitka cloud burst pants 4 oz difference and 250$ cheaper

Ron.C
07-08-2014, 08:11 AM
My partner and I both used HH Impertech last year on a pack in goat hunt. I say goat hunt loosely because we only had a few hours of decent weather the rest was speant battling wind, heavy rain and snow. The Impertech stuff worked well, but if the temps would have been warmer, may have been a different story as it's pretty warm whe your moving.

RiverOtter
07-08-2014, 05:12 PM
those of you that use the HH impertech rain gear. do u need to buy a size bigger than your actual size or are they built bigger to go over everything

I ended up buying 2 sets of HH, and I would recommend getting a size bigger than you actually are, especially the pants. The inner lining on the Impertech tends to grip your under clothing and can work down eventually, which is about my only bitch. A light weight pair of clamp style suspenders fixed that problem, though it wasn't a major.

Second time around, I bought the guide style jacket without the neoprene cuffs, as the neoprene tends to wick water and if your wearing gloves it will funnel the water inside. The guide coat's hood rolls into the collar when not needed, which is another plus when all your fending is wet bush. Super impressed with the guide jacket, though I still use the neo cuff for day hunts.

I ordered my Impertech out of the states from High Mountain Outfitters, as they had great pricing on it. At the time camo Impertech could not be purchased in Canada, but that is hardly a deal breaker, as the green stuff is plenty good.

Depending on your preference, Impertech comes in bibbed as well....

mikeboehm
07-20-2014, 10:15 AM
I ended up buy the helly hansen impertech deluxe jacket and bib in camo. I think its a great product

RiverOtter
07-20-2014, 10:56 AM
I've no doubt you'll love it in the rain. I believe my jacket is the deluxe as well, now that you mention it. The Guide jacket is much longer, IIRC.

Good call on the bibs, I'm thinking I may very well go that route as well, for all but pack in hunts, simply due to weight.

charr
07-20-2014, 12:09 PM
I ended up buy the helly hansen impertech deluxe jacket and bib in camo. I think its a great product

Were did you buy it?

mikeboehm
07-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Cabelas in tulilip