PDA

View Full Version : ideas for mount for transporting outboard in pickup truck

mikeboehm
07-04-2014, 05:51 PM
i have an aluminum boat rack i got from princess auto(works great) since i bought a new outboard i dont prefer to lay it down in my pickup when i drive down the FSR. any ideas on making a sturdy mount that keeps the outboard in the vertical position

allan
07-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Use an old car tire and lay it on its side, not what you asked but good enough for my motors

mikeboehm
07-04-2014, 07:18 PM
it works but i dont want to do that with my brand new 2014 9.9hp merc

mikeboehm
07-04-2014, 07:19 PM
thinking about fabing a box out of steel. it will be heavy but it will last

hunter1993ap
07-04-2014, 07:23 PM
we put a board (2x10) from half way up the center supports on the rack so it spanned the width of the box. drilled the rack and secured the board to it. had a 9.9 and 25 merc on it for the drive from the interior to the north island. worked slick.

SingleShot
07-04-2014, 07:33 PM
I have always transported mine on it's side cradled in a tire. Never a problem and you don't have to worry about it falling.

The possibilities are endless... Build a light duty wooden box that just cradles the body of the outboard with a cut out that allows the leg to protrude, get some spray in foam and fill the box half way, lay plastic over foam and lay engine down into it allowing it to find its home in the foam. I'm sure you've seen various parts or components that are shipped like this.

Build an L shaped upright out of 3/8" x 6" channel iron and bolt it the bed of your box in one corner. Then just secure the motor to it as you would to your transom.

Once you get a few scratches in the motor... the tire idea will probably suit you.

lineofsight
07-04-2014, 10:40 PM
I build a ladder out of 2x4 with an angled "rung" and two wheels at the bottom to move my 20hp around. So it basically lays tiller down / prop up on the ladder, there is a groove in the bottom rung for the skeg to locate. With two people its very easy to lift into the truck (one on each side), easy for one person to roll the water, easy to lift off ladder and drop onto transom, and easy to retrieve (floats).

Next time would raise the ladder a little so don't have to use a bungy to stop the clamp tabs from resting on the ground / getting jammed and would use galvanized hangers for the rung that acts as transom (rather than screws into the end grain... some give to it after 800km road trip and some time bouncing on FSRs). Anchor chain used to secure outboard and fuel tank to truck bed.

Also, because of bottom rung / skeg / leg support cannot place prop in bucket so need another stand for maintenance. Depending on the weekend may attempt a Mark II version.

panhead
07-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Somebody told me the new 4 strokes need to be transported in the vertical position as they have crankcase oil ... any truth to that?
I made a plywood mount that bolts to my truck bed (camper floor) and the motor lays in it and is held in place by a ratchet stap ... been working good for years ... not too good at posting pics though, if interested send a PM.

Good2bCanadian
07-05-2014, 09:20 AM
My Tohatsu 3.5 4 stroke must be transported on one side only. It says this side up when laying on its side.

I transport it on foam kids workout mats. Square 2x2 mats that clip together.

srupp
07-05-2014, 09:42 AM
4 stroke Honda has tabs on the one side of the motor cover...it also can only be laid on one side...Cabelas sells a motor stand with wheels...I have one and it could be strapped into the pickup box? I use mine to transport the 9.9 to the truck and upright storage at home...when going fishing Ijust lay the motor on a old dog bed...
Steven

russm
07-05-2014, 09:44 AM
we put a board (2x10) from half way up the center supports on the rack so it spanned the width of the box. drilled the rack and secured the board to it. had a 9.9 and 25 merc on it for the drive from the interior to the north island. worked slick.

This was gonna be my suggestion too

keoke
07-05-2014, 01:14 PM
You got those fancy seat covers, chuck it in the back seat and buckle it up.

mikeboehm
07-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Can anyone post pics

tundra
07-06-2014, 12:05 PM
I just lay my brand new Yamaha 4 stroke on the one side on top of a thick wool blanket. The other thing I do first before laying it down is to pull the starter cord until the engine is on compression so that any water that did not drain completely out of the leg can not fill the cylinder through the exhaust valve.

Hope this helps not quite what you had asked but it works for me and my Yamaha still looks brand new.

hunter1993ap
07-06-2014, 12:07 PM
our rack is taken apart so no pics from me.

REMINGTON JIM
07-06-2014, 05:46 PM
new 2014 9.9hp merc

Merc :cry: should have bought a Yamaha ! Oh Well ! :wink: LOL RJ

mikeboehm
07-06-2014, 07:32 PM
I missed the yammy sale my a couple weeks. I asked yammy if I can still get the deal. They were rude and pretty much told me I was ****ing out of luck. I will never buy a yammy product again after the way they talked to me

Peter Pepper
07-07-2014, 07:30 AM
hang it on the outside of your tailgate. Not safe or smart, but it will look cool going down the road

Sunzuki
07-10-2014, 07:59 AM
Build something off the rear hitch?
All my pick ups have had front hitches on them.
Could locate it there too.
Bugs on it may be a factor.
I've got a couple old life jackets that work well.
Those that one pulled over their heads and tied up around
the chest.
Works well.
Now the boat sits on a trailer, so no issues on where to hang the proper.

moosecamp
07-10-2014, 08:16 AM
http://www.showcasetruckaccessories.com/images/WorkTruck_Uplifting/over_canopy_rack.png (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=BVfvfGx6ytVNhM&tbnid=rbzd3aBNjfBc3M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.showcasetruckaccessories.com% 2Fwork-truck_PickupTruck.php&ei=y62-U7L_M43hoASEjIC4DQ&bvm=bv.70810081,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNHlNTW3vQDE1P3obhXeXsxINAhoEA&ust=1405091658867187)

Pick up one of these then you don't have drill holes in your canopy.

CR CRUISER
07-10-2014, 10:18 AM
Most of the four strokes can only be layed down on one side otherwise the crankcase oil will leak.

As well, never lift the bottom end of an outboard higher than the powerhead. Residual water in the cooling system and exhaust can run into the cylinders.

Kudu
07-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Buy a better boat and leave it on the transom.....

hunter1993ap
07-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Buy a better boat and leave it on the transom.....

doesn't work very well when you have a travel trailer, the boat has to go somewhere.