pronghorn
07-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Halifords, cabelas, stuffers

leadpillproductions
07-04-2014, 10:12 PM
How do u know which casing to get . I see they is sheep ones artificial ones

seizuresalad
07-04-2014, 10:44 PM
I did some bear sausage a couple weeks ago, half breakfast links and half farmer sausage. I used 30mm natural hog casings from the local butcher. That's a pretty good size for those applications. For pepperoni, you'll want something around 20mm. As for natural vs. synthetic casings, if you can get natural, that's the way to go. I don't know what kind of local butchers you've got available, but you can always order online from stuffer's. The natural casings are more forgiving in terms of not bursting on you halfway through stuffing a section.

bridger
07-04-2014, 11:11 PM
I did some bear sausage a couple weeks ago, half breakfast links and half farmer sausage. I used 30mm natural hog casings from the local butcher. That's a pretty good size for those applications. For pepperoni, you'll want something around 20mm. As for natural vs. synthetic casings, if you can get natural, that's the way to go. I don't know what kind of local butchers you've got available, but you can always order online from stuffer's. The natural casings are more forgiving in terms of not bursting on you halfway through stuffing a section.
Thanks for the info. Is there a taste difference between natural and synthetic?

Scuba_Dave
07-05-2014, 07:51 AM
I used a collagen casing from Red Barn market here in Victoria. Don't have to pre-soak it or anything, just put it on the horn and go! Made breakfast sausage with it and it was amazing. As I was a first time sausage maker they suggested thats the casing I used, as it is more forgiving than a natural one.

trapperdan2061
07-05-2014, 10:18 AM
My local butcher will sell me most of the stuff that Stuffers has

leadpillproductions
07-05-2014, 10:40 AM
I mainly will be making summer sausage , pepperoni sticks and breakfast sausage . What are good casing sizes for each . Also what do u guys like beside summer sausage for sandwiches to make

Scuba_Dave
07-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Took the question right out of my mouth hahaha. Was going to ask the same thing and if there is any special technique to doing a summer sausage with a Kitchenaide or if you can use the sausage attachment provided.

eaglesnester
07-11-2014, 08:27 AM
Go to your local butcher, U can get em cheap.