PDA

View Full Version : Feral hog questions

Hunt-4-Life
07-04-2014, 03:01 PM
I've never given much though to these until a good hunting buddy spotted a group recently. We have no clue how to hunt these feral pigs. I've read a couple of previous threads on here, found lots of excitement about these from guys, but I'm hoping for some ideas on actual tactics. What is the home range on these things? How far will they travel? Can they be called in? I assume so as they manufacture hog calls. Can they be baited? What should a guy use for bait? If I can figure out how to post a picture from my iPhone I'll show you the picture he took of the group. Cheers

epicZERO74
07-04-2014, 03:08 PM
Don't know anything about hunting hogs. As for the pics, plug your iphone into the computer, find where the pictures are stored, copy them to the computer, then from there upload them on to photobucket or a similar website, then post them on here. Never seen them before so looking forward to the picture, but to my understanding you can bait everything in bc except bear? Since they are(I think) culling hogs I would assume the laws around hogs would not be very strict.

BuckNaked
07-04-2014, 03:16 PM
I'd love to get on some hogs, finally a purpose for my SKS.

Sniperdan
07-04-2014, 03:35 PM
If you see one, shoot it! Good meat for the freezer and no tag required!

Steelpulse
07-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Pictures for sure lets see em, and finding where they are should be relatively easy when you find them lots of tracks rooted up ground, usually stick to their trails and use the trails regularly assuming you are in the core area,as for home range not to sure but I'd think not large as long as they had good food which they. Need lots of, when you find areas that look like they have been rooted up that's hog eating all the bulbs hunt around there, never heard of calling hogs before, however I'm sure there is a call. For them, I'd imagine you could bait them but would have to check the regs, I'd still hunt them they can be vocal in the woods snorting away, and you can walk right up to them, or cruise around your area try and spot them in a field maybe? Where did you see them, I can help hahaha goodluck, and add those pictures

quadrakid
07-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Thank God,we must have gone at least two weeks without a wild hog thread!!!:-D

Dre
07-04-2014, 08:11 PM
I did a feral hog hunt just 3 weeks ago South of Atlanta, Georgia. Went with my dad, bro and a couple of other guys. Those pigs are unpredictable, go anywhere, anytime. Best tactics were to find fresh sign, spread out about 50yds appart all wearing orange and cover a lot of ground. Look for swampy, muddy stuff when its hot out, but they could be in the open sun in 90F as well. If the ground looks like its just been plowed, they are not too far. Shots are quick, the pigs are usually quicker, their feet are a blurr when they run. They are not sensitive to noise as they are very noisy themselves. We tried calling, with no success. Sitting in one spot proved fruitless, the best is to cover a lot of ground. I loved it, very active and reactive type of hunting. I wished I had my JR Carbine instead of a Browning A-Bolt though. I shot one about 80lbs and another guy missed 4 with a recurve, did I mention they are quick :).

riflebuilder
07-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Corn soaked in beer works good as bait and even better if you cover it in raspberry jello powder. We used to bait them all the time in Texas. you soak the corn in beer for about 48 hrs then put it in a 4" pvc pipe with holes drilled the length of the pipe. The pipe is chained to a tree and the pigs smell the mash and come roll the pipe around to get the corn. they are very nocturnal so it will be real early when you get shots at them. they move around a lot unless you have high numbers baiting may or may not work.

Hunt-4-Life
07-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Thanks riflebuilder that's very helpful, the group was spotted at night by my buddy. Apparently the story is that a group escaped about 15 years ago and the locals shot them out in the first few years. No one has seen any for about 10 years but now they're back, and obviously reproducing as my friend found a sow with six piglets (fair sized). I'll try that baiting idea

riflebuilder
07-05-2014, 12:33 PM
they are easier to trap than shoot, just think really large catch alive traps. You can find plans on the web. We used to wire them open to get the pigs used to eating the bait and then set the trap door to drop. this way you usually catch more. Good luck on the pigs they need to be killed as quickly as possible.

heatherdaddy
07-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Where were these spotted at. I have never seen one in my life and would like to.

liambobbi
07-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Hunted them a lot in Australia we would just look for areas with lots of Sign and just hit those areas Frequently maybe put a bit of bait down we would also follow fresh tracks to a bedding area. Good luck