PDA

View Full Version : Best coho trolling riggin

two-feet
07-03-2014, 12:56 PM
So what is some of the set ups you guys are using in the saltwater? Flasher types, depths, terminal tackle, leader lenghts, typical bottom or structure to look for, etc etc. I like a chrome spoon behind a chrome dodger, how bout some tricks from the salty gurus on here?

thanks!

kilometers
07-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Purple flasher with silver hoachie 30 to 55 feet at a decent pace 2 to 3 mph I think we normally go. Springs like it slow coho like it faster

any combo of flasher and hoachie will work.
Ususlly have to rods in the down riggers and one out the back with a diver

If you don't no where to go. Look for the most boats in one spot and follow them doin circles. Usually at a point of land

Jack Russell
07-03-2014, 03:29 PM
5/8th oz. weight, 8 foot leader and a nice cut plug trolled "briskly"….

REMINGTON JIM
07-03-2014, 04:21 PM
If you get into a school of Cohos -Troll a small Herring at fast speed along the surface and the Cohos go nuts for them ! Lots of FUN on light gear ! :wink: RJ

07-03-2014, 08:43 PM
To Many ways and choice to list really ........

Moose63
07-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Green hoochie or Army truck....Green flasher

Whonnock Boy
07-03-2014, 09:19 PM
If you're in the Coho, bait is time consuming. Anything works really, but I was an army truck, red flasher guy going mach speed.

dougan
07-03-2014, 09:25 PM
Coyote spoon on a trout rod on the surface big fun

monasheemountainman
07-03-2014, 09:39 PM
My fav are the army truck hoochies behind a bright flasher. If the fishing is really hot then I like to just run a silver spoon or a herring and keep it light

Foxtail
07-03-2014, 09:40 PM
Tide lines... Bucktails, you can use fly rods too... Right on the surface. For trolling, cut plug herring on the down riggers and a tom mack straight out the back.

Sitkaspruce
07-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Don't over think catching coho. We used to catch them with a green or silver teaser head, single siwash hook and a red/silver flasher. No bait, just the teaser head. When you find coho, just about anything will catch them, but my fav is a 4" 50/50 spoon, 4-6oz weight and 20 pulls in the prop wash. Set the drag light and have fun!!!!

When you do find them on the surface, switch over to a grey ghost or mickey finn bucktail, #2 pearl spinner and 2 oz weight. Most fun you can have catching fish.

What ever you do, don't fish bait for them (no offence RJ), that gets expensive and you don't need to. That is unless you rake or net your own.

Cheers

SS

two-feet
07-04-2014, 06:58 AM
Ya i got myself a 7.5' fenwick light action rod, its a nice soft rod and a real hoot to catch coho and stealhead on, going to tie up some bucktails for it. I am headed out of rupert for 4 days around the end of august, we will probably head up to dundas island weather permitting, or into the work or kutzamateen inlets it the wind is going to be up.
thanks for the tips, im always looking to try something new.
i already have a bunch of pics from this years fishing adventures and will post them up when i have a chance. Headed out to the skeena in 10 minutes!