PDA

View Full Version : B.C. beefs up rules for off-road vehicle operators

HCH
07-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Not sure if you guys have seen this yet. Coming this fall.

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=9546169

RugDoctor
07-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Awesome! I can't wait for more rules to follow. I hate taking responsibility for myself and others on my own, or having to make choices and pesky decision. More rules please!

Dear State, may I use the state approved washroom now please?

hunterkyle
07-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Awesome just what I want to do wear a helmet while I'm hunting.

caddisguy
07-03-2014, 12:52 PM
As long as wearing a helmet in the Jeep is strictly optional...

tundra
07-03-2014, 01:13 PM
This is great news. Now there will be a way to identify and report the idiots out there.

Bugle M In
07-03-2014, 01:36 PM
don't really care about the helmet part either way...personally...
But I like the fact that there will be plates on the quads / bikes etc....and with fines hopefully if not on these rigs.
Atleast now it will be easier to report those guys when in road closures, or at least inform CO's that there are atv's running around with out plates.
Obviously, I don't own a quad....so no skin off my a**, long overdue...IMO

Argali
07-03-2014, 02:06 PM
The problem with requiring registration and plates on an ATV is that if someone is truly intent on being an idiot in the alpine, they will either take the plates off or put on fake plates. Law-abiding people will use the plates properly but it is usually not the law-abiding ATV-ers that are causing the problems. This sort of reminds me of gun registration but I hope it works better.

Good2bCanadian
07-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Hopefully some of these new fees go towards COs to give them some time to target problem areas.

I don't think calling in a guys quad plate is enough info to charge him in court.
I think some video footage would be required, without that it could just be hearsay.

Regarding the helmet. I wear a full face when out recreational riding, but don't wear one while hunting.

Ill probably pick up a cheap beenie lid for hunting if required.

dakoda62
07-03-2014, 02:14 PM
All money will end up in general revenue.

digginsweatinswearin
07-03-2014, 02:45 PM
This is old news, put into place last year, but like everything else, no budget to enforce. Although people with a licence plate hanging in plain site will probably act a little more responsible

limit time
07-03-2014, 03:34 PM
But I like the fact that there will be plates on the quads / bikes etc....and with fines hopefully if not on these rigs.
Atleast now it will be easier to report those guys when in road closures, or at least inform CO's that there are atv's running around with out plates.
That's a bad attitude...are you the type that says...I don't care if they ban hand guns or semi auto guns, i don't have one...

Surrey Boy
07-03-2014, 03:35 PM
About as effective as gun registration, sums it well.

Scotty-B
07-03-2014, 04:13 PM
So ORV's will now require licensing/registration. We knew that was coming, but I am wondering, if now, we will be allowed to ride on the shoulders of the highways and roads, and if we will be permitted to cross these same roads. Right now, that is a finable offense. I have heard rumors saying that yes, we will be permitted to, but nothing other than the speculation of such. Has anyone heard information regarding this?

ACE
07-03-2014, 04:25 PM
So ORV's will now require licensing/registration. We knew that was coming, but I am wondering, if now, we will be allowed to ride on the shoulders of the highways and roads, and if we will be permitted to cross these same roads. Right now, that is a finable offense. I have heard rumors saying that yes, we will be permitted to, but noting other than the speculation of such. Has anyone heard information regarding this?

Just guessing here ...... you'll probably need liability insurance to do that.

I do have a 'Road Permit' with purchased $2,000,000. liability insurance. My quad has an X Restricted plate on it, and I can legally cross major highways, and travel along the shoulder of secondary highways.

Kudu
07-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Just another BS stealth tax - pay your money and get sweet F'All in return - Whoopee!

Scuba_Dave
07-03-2014, 06:21 PM
As I stated to some friends earlier in the year when this popped up..Who is going to control this? As you only need to be licensed if you are going to be using the ATV on public land. You don't need to have it insured or plated if its going to be on your own property, who says buddy whats his name doesn't lie to the city cop who pulled him over? LOL Also why on earth would a cop waste his time? They are going to run into it all the time. "Yeah I'm taking it from my house on my licensed trailer to my private property to hunt". Who is the cop to call the guy a liar? What to follow me from Victoria to Fort St James to find out if I'm lying or telling the truth? And everyone knows the COs aren't going to waste their time for the same freaking reasons they can't be bothered to come out to a city yard to get rid of a cougar ;)

Scuba_Dave
07-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Never mind my last statement, they have gone and beefed up the Bill since the last time I read it. http://www.leg.bc.ca/40th2nd/1st_read/gov13-1.htm#section21

Though from what I can read, everything is for registration and safety. They still can not enforce the law on your own private land, but if busted on "prescribed" private land. IE Timberwest or other private company owned lands you are required to have the plates, decals and licence in hand.

Ry151
07-03-2014, 06:39 PM
This is great news. Now there will be a way to identify and report the idiots out there.
Totally agree, because the idiots that cause problems will actually follow the rules and register there atv just like the criminals that register their stolen hand guns and scary looking semi auto assault rifles.
This is just a cash grab to get the taxes when private sales happen so now when you but a used quad, dirt bike or sled it will cost you 12% more.

Ry151
07-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Next we'll need Atv drivers licenses and courses just like boats.

RugDoctor
07-03-2014, 07:26 PM
I'd love to see just how a cop, co, or some other cell phone squealing granola eater is going to catch a CR 500 big bore tearing it up. Anywhere. Let the slow pokes pay the fines. SEEEEE YAAAAA!!!!!! (Obvious troll if yer too stupid to see it....but true none the less)

ElectricDyck
07-03-2014, 07:35 PM
The problem with requiring registration and plates on an ATV is that if someone is truly intent on being an idiot in the alpine, they will either take the plates off or put on fake plates. Law-abiding people will use the plates properly but it is usually not the law-abiding ATV-ers that are causing the problems. This sort of reminds me of gun registration but I hope it works better.

I agree, if they can't catch and punish the idiots now, a plate won't help, but it will make it look like they are trying, not to mention now you have more ticket revenue......all the while punishing the majority....

Jelvis
07-03-2014, 07:40 PM
dirt and mud won't hide the shiny plate numbers cuz the shine through on a flash or head lights.
It's going to change the dynamics of the quadding community.
Road closures are being used by motorized according to some hunters hiking around. Not good.
Can't fight the law.
Jel .. I fought the law and the law won -- John Cougarr Melon Cramp - OBEY

Bugle M In
07-03-2014, 07:51 PM
a picture with a plate in a restricted vehicle area definitely will get the CO's full attention.
( ask the last 2 owners of trucks in road closures that I called in:mrgreen: ).

And if CO's are out, and they do find u without plates etc...........well have fun explaining......
But your still paying!

No different then running around without a tag when hunting, so I don't see the problem.
No shitty attitude here...just a difference of opinion.

Cheers!

stan
07-03-2014, 07:52 PM
well said ky151 government just lying to us like were all stupid.telling people this bill is about the environment when it just a clear tax grab.i cant believe how anyone could support this overregulation that will accomplish nothing.bend over boys here it comes again.

139grainsofhell
07-03-2014, 07:57 PM
Does this mean that after we have all done the registration with Icbc will they then start charging a yearly insurance policy???i would assume so whatever the gov can do to grab more cash!

Jelvis
07-03-2014, 08:04 PM
The government says jump. Might as well jump -- Van halen -- Might as well jump
Hey, who said dat?
Jel -- The government knows you, so lighten up.

Amphibious
07-03-2014, 08:11 PM
While I don't agree with this legislation, it was only a matter of time. To many redneck ******s in the bush these days. Ignorant pricks only thinking of themselves. Tearing up the land, littering, etc.

If there is a silver lining to this it's that big fines will be dealt out to the trouble makers. I can't run them off the road and flog them like i'd like to, so at least the CO's can make their wallets hurt.

The Helmet laws.... my tax dollars will have to pay to keep you alive when you're a spoon-fed vegetable after a head injury. Wear your F'n helmet!

RugDoctor
07-03-2014, 08:16 PM
One thing I can truly appreciate about this is we actually have a near 50/50 divide. Whiny no balls threatening to rat on those with the nuts enough to say "slow down the freaking regulations already". I get it....you don't have the nuts to tell a guy to quit effing around where you don't like him. That's fine. But look at the bigger picture. Where does it stop? When do we actually get to make our own decisions without govt interference? When do you stop hiding behind mummy's skirt, and make like a man?

RugDoctor
07-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Helmet laws suck.

RugDoctor
07-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Oh, and, the back of my neck is red. Literally. It's offensive to me that low brow judgemental types use the term "Redneck" so off handedly. Yes, I am a Redneck. I work. I work hard and my neck turns red. That doesn't mean I am an ignorant prick. I'm an ignorant prick for entirely different reasons.

Scotty-B
07-03-2014, 08:26 PM
I'm proud to be a Redneck. Choose a different term for the idiotic, ignorant vandals and abusers of the land you are referring to.

keoke
07-03-2014, 08:29 PM
The term redneck has nothing to do with having a redneck.

Jelvis
07-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Redneck with a farmers tan lol, some tuff mudders tho whoa!
Do not cross a redneck. Especially with those pointy cowboy boots on.
She or he will perform a tap dance on your forehead.
Jelly Woods

RugDoctor
07-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Amen Scotty. The term Redneck is nothing to be ashamed of. Redneck came from the fact that MEN worked in the fields and outside causing them to burn on the backs of their necks. The term turned derogatory no differently than any other racist term. Difference is, it's predominantly against white men and is therefore automatically negative, and true.

07-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Well I guess it's about time really. Too help catch violators, That said a helmet would also make it safer for us all to some degree. And if it helps to ever ( i don't know how ) get my machines back if they are stolen. It would be a good thing. I dont like ICBC and the way they are run ....... I am skeptical on the Cash Grab so to speak ........ next thing will happen in this thread though is some one will say its safe to ride around with a loaded Fire arm on that quad or Bike. Not me I never said that, I never said it. Thems the rules we got to ride and fun by. Oh Well, could be worse

RugDoctor
07-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Remain sceptical of those who would advance their argument by letting you know "it could be worse"

Jelvis
07-03-2014, 08:41 PM
You should be kissing the ground and singing to the heavens everyday because you can in BC
Listen and obey
Jel -- it's only real fun when you stay within the field of play -- unless you don't care bout dat
and decide to rebel against the lawyers. Hahahaha the government wants to know you better

Scuba_Dave
07-03-2014, 08:47 PM
LOL RugDoctor! Speaking from someone who has seen how the other provinces have run it and how BC is going to run it. It just seems to me like they are trying to put a "Band-aide" on the issue instead of sit down and actually figuring out what the best way forward would be. Nova Scotia has an okay system in place. You pay once a year (albeit at a VERY high price, also who knows how high ICBC will make this *cough cough*) And NS has no licensing fee. Basically they have theirs in place to #1 Identify idiots doing idiotic things and #2 as a way to track stolen property. Don't know how bad it is here, but in NS its like parking a Honda Civic under the Skytrain in Surrey...That sucker is GONE hahaha

huff
07-03-2014, 08:56 PM
The Fiberals way of clawing back money that they lost by not raising taxes. more user fee's to come,

Jelvis
07-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Christy knows Bo, she can talk a good talk and walk the walk, she backs BC's Bio's with scientific research over bed wetters when they see a long gun.
I was amazed when she talked about hiring the top notch best scientists available and hunting is a part of B.C.s history and will continue based on science.
It blew me away.
I realized hunting is a part of B.C.'s history ingrained in our life style.
Jel .. We got some smart people, if they say, where a helmet then at least get used to it.
The plate system will work if the plate is large enuff to read clearly like a car size.
Deer will see yah cumin from a mile away, shining rays off the florescent paint. Hahaha
sorry had too

limit time
07-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Remain sceptical of those who would advance their argument by letting you know "it could be worse"
If it saves just one...;)

Iron Glove
07-03-2014, 09:40 PM
This topic was beat to death earlier but:
1. $48 one time registration fee isn't going to make the BC Gov't. rich, the costs inherent in running any Gov't. "program" will eat that up quickly.
2. Registration will help to identify lost or stolen vehicles and might help cut down on theft as it makes it harder to sell the "hot" vehicle.
3. Insurance is already required for most off road use such as on FSR's etc., it's not new and it's unlikely that ICBC will be providing it. Likely will stay with the Private Insurers as it presently is. Liability Insurance isn't that expensive, $75 per vehicle is common. And no, the basic BCWF coverage is not adequate for most.
4. Now, where registration will hit our pocket books is when we buy / sell the vehicle as we have to pay taxes each time it's sold.

Kami
07-03-2014, 09:46 PM
I must admit, this ATV registration and plate, with more taxes to be paid, plus insurance, helped me make a recent decision. It was not the sole driver, but added to my list of negative points of running quads versus a Sidekick. Running 2 quads for my son and I to hunt with is getting ridiculous. I sold them both recently a acquired a Suzuki Sidekick. Heat, windshield, wipers, a roof, winch, comfortable seats. Oh ya, and it has plates and insurance. If I gotta register and insure a couple of quads, I may as we'll run a small 4x4. No loading, no unloading, drive it right from home. Big bonus...No helmet. The rules have changed and I am adapting. I can see it now. Mid day, Dec 1 out in the snow looking for a big stinky buck. Lunch time in my heated cab with seats tilted back. A nice hour snooze and back out for the afternoon to dark hunt.

Seriously though, quads and Sidekicks both have their strengths and weaknesses. I hope it all works out for you quad owners. I've tapped out. My quads were fun, but they are behind me now. Good luck ATVers.

Jelvis
07-03-2014, 09:49 PM
The Ministry says, "Dance" start lifting those feet. Start dancing before the prancin.
you want to play? Your going to pay. Also the insurance will not cover you if your not wearing a helmut when you roll over or lick back Jack. Same as a motor cycle rider.
Insurance said, you don't wear mandatory equipment when on the vehicle and get injured, your coverage will be cut in half or more.
Just like closed deactivated roads are made that way so responsibility goes to the user of that road. Not the forest company now,
Use thy brain and protect it.
I.d yourself put a tag on.
Jel .. And I don't think you can hang a cammo cloth over it when your out there lol.

ACE
07-03-2014, 09:49 PM
There are those who've expressed resentment towards the government proposals concerning quads .... most of the opposition seems to be dollar based. If plates/registration were free ...... would you be ok with the proposals? What do those in opposition to the new regulations have in mind here? Continue on as before with no responsibility towards the environment, other wilderness users, property owners, etc. ?
This 'new' regulation proposal isn't new at all .... it's been a long time coming. It has it's purpose, and will give legitimate responsible operators a chance to show that they are in fact .... legitimate and responsible. We've seen the environment take a shit-kicking from irresponsible people using ORV's ..... why not have a say against those people, rather than be 'lumped in' with them? If a plate/registration lets you do that ..... why the opposition?

RugDoctor
07-03-2014, 10:02 PM
The opposition is in response to yet another oppression. I'm not saying this is the last straw, or the ultimate fight, but we have to remain vigilant, or at least start somewhere when we've had enough of our choices and freedoms taken away. I don't want to wear a helmet on my bike, 4 wheeler, or otherwise. Go ahead, take away my life support or medical for being such a cowboy. What I gain in choice and liberty, I'll gladly trade. Or, maybe I'll CHOSE to do what the surgeon general or lawyer of the day recommends. But at the end of the day....let me chose.

Jelvis
07-03-2014, 10:21 PM
The Rock says, " It don't matter what you think!" and that's what Christy's Cowboys and Cowgirls are saying, it's too late to turn back now.
Believe in our provincial leaders ability to make advancing new changes and live by them or pay a fine and have your name smeared all over the local papers, " Quadder get's jail time!"
Or worse, someone takes your quad for evidence.
You don't need that.
Jel .. Book em Danno

Bugle M In
07-03-2014, 10:34 PM
The opposition is in response to yet another oppression. I'm not saying this is the last straw, or the ultimate fight, but we have to remain vigilant, or at least start somewhere when we've had enough of our choices and freedoms taken away. I don't want to wear a helmet on my bike, 4 wheeler, or otherwise. Go ahead, take away my life support or medical for being such a cowboy. What I gain in choice and liberty, I'll gladly trade. Or, maybe I'll CHOSE to do what the surgeon general or lawyer of the day recommends. But at the end of the day....let me chose.

I don't oppose what u are saying...as far as the helmet goes...anyone who has had a serious head injury would tell you that it would be a good idea for yourself....however, I believe an individual
has the right to decide....whether or not they choose to is an individual decision, and should have the right to ( I can see it for those who hunt using ATV etc ).
But if insurance is required, and an individual does hurt himself...meaning head injury without wearing a helmet, they should not be insured against injury ( if they even are??).
I like the registration part, and the "having a plate" to identify users, just like are vehicles are.

A one time fee for registration and plates would be the right way to go in my opinion.....
Also if changing ownership...meaning new owner has to register again etc...all good in my books
Fines for missing plates or not registered I totally support.

Insurance, well that I think should be left up to the individual whether they want coverage or not in my opinion.
But I guarantee insurance companies will want helmets.

Ya, sorry that it will cost ATV users extra money.....I understand that sucks....but reg and plates are long overdue.
Sadly, like everything, it only takes a few ORV's to screw over all ORV users, but some guys just don't care what they do out there.

Scotty-B
07-03-2014, 10:36 PM
There are those who've expressed resentment towards the government proposals concerning quads .... most of the opposition seems to be dollar based. If plates/registration were free ...... would you be ok with the proposals? What do those in opposition to the new regulations have in mind here? Continue on as before with no responsibility towards the environment, other wilderness users, property owners, etc. ?
This 'new' regulation proposal isn't new at all .... it's been a long time coming. It has it's purpose, and will give legitimate responsible operators a chance to show that they are in fact .... legitimate and responsible. We've seen the environment take a shit-kicking from irresponsible people using ORV's ..... why not have a say against those people, rather than be 'lumped in' with them? If a plate/registration lets you do that ..... why the opposition?

Replace the words "quads" and "ORV's" with the word "firearms". Sucks don't it? Is it a huge deal? Probably not, except for the taxation crap upon the resale. I MIGHT be a tiny bit more receptive to the idea if it were free and voluntary - for the sole purpose of tracking stolen property. Otherwise, I would rather record the serial numbers and picture/video images of my property for the identification purposes in the event of theft.

They keep on chipping away a little here and a little there until there ain't nothing left.

Surrey Boy
07-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Doesn't "Redneck" come from the battle of Blair Mountain, where the locals used red scarves and kerchiefs to identfy themselves?

ElectricDyck
07-03-2014, 10:42 PM
We don't need enforcement and penalties, more rules will solve the problem of people breaking rules.:confused:

Surrey Boy
07-03-2014, 10:50 PM
I wonder why Honda, Yamaha, Bombardier don't fund some PR on behalf of their soon to be former customers.

ACE
07-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Registration/plate costs = two tanks of fuel/two large coffee to go.

Surrey Boy
07-03-2014, 11:31 PM
Registration/plate costs = two tanks of fuel/two large coffee to go.

It's the introductory rate. "No money down, no credit check, do not pay for one full year!" Sounds like buying a Dodge.

fishingguy44
07-03-2014, 11:37 PM
So for some reason my comp wont show the article. so to be clear... I have not a quad but a three wheeler. I have a valid BC wildlife insurance. Me and my son wear helmets but now we need a plate?

Sleep Robber
07-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Double edged sword IMO, good for reporting law breakers and helpful with the recovery of stolen property, but then again, the "quad haters" that we all know are out there will just start reporting everyone they can snap a pic of, even if the person is innocent.

Regarding the helmet law, I wear a full face helmet and goggles or shades when out quading anyway {one good branch to the face can be deadly} so it doesn't bother me at all, and besides, it only takes a second to remove it if you see something while out hunting {gotta get off the quad to shoot anyway right ??, isn't that the law as well ??}.

I do have an open face helmet as well with a small visor {and it's even in camo}, maybe I'll sell it to one of ya, LOLLOL !!

ACE
07-03-2014, 11:43 PM
It's the introductory rate. "No money down, no credit check, do not pay for one full year!" Sounds like buying a Dodge.
Where does your information come from?

hoochie
07-04-2014, 02:19 AM
Amen Scotty. The term Redneck is nothing to be ashamed of. Redneck came from the fact that MEN worked in the fields and outside causing them to burn on the backs of their necks. The term turned derogatory no differently than any other racist term. Difference is, it's predominantly against white men and is therefore automatically negative, and true.

What??
nothing to be ashamed of, automatically negative.. and true?
So you agree with what you said "that's its racist and negative" and you believe it to be true? but there's nothing to be ashamed of?

And how can a white guy calling another white guy be a racist? it may be discrimination, but not racist.

If anything is racist here, it this helmet law and reg fee. It specifically targets only certain individuals in this country who are enjoying their "culture"

markomoose
07-04-2014, 02:52 AM
Anyone here know where to get a very large helmut?Been looking for a while know but nothing fits my abnormally large cranium.I'm not kidding!Some guys were given gifts down below some were given large heads??

Amphibious
07-04-2014, 06:59 AM
For the no-helmet crowd. A few images that speak volumes. REAL riders wear All the gear, All the time. Loser Harley-esq posers and squids go without a full helmet and Jacket (bare minimum). Ask yourself. When you're crapping yourself and being fed from a tube, how cool will you be then? Visit a guy in the hospital having a skin graft and ask him how much fun he's having. Ever had gravel picked out of your flesh with tweezers?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/MSF/helmet-impact-zone.jpg

http://www.meaforensic.com/Portals/45635/images/fig.2.graph-resized-600.jpg

Road rash is SEXY! Funny, very little damage to her head/face. wonder why that is??

http://www.michaelmaloneyphotography.com/bmw/rash1.jpg

thepitchedlink
07-04-2014, 07:14 AM
Nice Amphib, that's an interesting helmet graph. Can someone tell me......if you don't have papers for you bike, mines 30 years old, papers disappeared over a decade ago. I'm i gonna have grief getting a plate? I'm hoping I. A "cash grab" they'll be happy to take $ from anyone......
thanks

Good2bCanadian
07-04-2014, 07:15 AM
When I ride my 450mx bike offroad on trails I wear a serious full face helmet, body suit, heavy riding pants, moto boots and knee braces. That's because we haul ass.

On my quad we put put around. Big difference.

I really think backwoods horseman should be wearing helmets. It's an awfully long fall from way up there.

Kudu
07-04-2014, 07:38 AM
Replace the words "quads" and "ORV's" with the word "firearms". Sucks don't it? Is it a huge deal? Probably not, except for the taxation crap upon the resale. I MIGHT be a tiny bit more receptive to the idea if it were free and voluntary - for the sole purpose of tracking stolen property. Otherwise, I would rather record the serial numbers and picture/video images of my property for the identification purposes in the event of theft.

They keep on chipping away a little here and a little there until there ain't nothing left.

Exactly!!

Never mind - the government knows that we will just bend over and take it up the a#%e as usual.

If I see some asshat behaving like a fool - I approach him and tell him so! - I don't need to run off whimpering to the cops or co's ......

Someone still needs to convince me that plates prevent motor vehicle theft or make safer/responsible drivers

RugDoctor
07-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Hoochie......think. Juuuuust a little bit. The term TURNED derogatory and is automatically true and negative from another's perspective. Clearly I am offended by people using the term to generalize against randomness white dudes doing something they feel goes against their delicate sensibilities.

Cooome on now......you can do it......

Gun Dog
07-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Interesting helmet data but riding down the Autobahn is a little different than riding a trail. I would guess (because I have no data) that the big danger with a quad is getting crushed in a rollover. Almost all the ATV riders I see already wear a helmet so adding another law that COs don't have the resources to enforce is dumb.

The revenue source for registration is PST. You're supposed to pay tax on the private sale of motorized vehicles (http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/bulletins/pst_308.pdf) which includes cars, boats and atvs. Yes, they're collecting PST every time a used ATV is sold. Since there's no registration there's no way to collect. On my (used) $6,000 quad purchase that would be $420 I don't have to spend on a helmet and other riding gear. Actually, I bought it during the HST years so that would have been $720 (12%) out of my pocket. No one knows if they'll try to collect during the initial registration. Time to look for that old bill of sale.

Surrey Boy
07-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Where does your information come from?

History, precedent, empirical demonstration.

7mm
07-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Tax the peddle bike that use the road ways.

Good2bCanadian
07-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Tax the peddle bike that use the road ways.

But they are going green?

This trumps everything.

Offroad users are bad, cyclists are good.

limit time
07-04-2014, 08:53 AM
For the no-helmet crowd. A few images that speak volumes. REAL riders wear All the gear, All the time. Loser Harley-esq posers and squids go without a full helmet and Jacket (bare minimum). Ask yourself. When you're crapping yourself and being fed from a tube, how cool will you be then? Visit a guy in the hospital having a skin graft and ask him how much fun he's having. Ever had gravel picked out of your flesh with tweezers?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/MSF/helmet-impact-zone.jpg

http://www.meaforensic.com/Portals/45635/images/fig.2.graph-resized-600.jpg

Road rash is SEXY! Funny, very little damage to her head/face. wonder why that is??

http://www.michaelmaloneyphotography.com/bmw/rash1.jpg
Because she slid on her side and not her head

Sitkaspruce
07-04-2014, 08:55 AM
When I ride my 450mx bike offroad on trails I wear a serious full face helmet, body suit, heavy riding pants, moto boots and knee braces. That's because we haul ass.

I really think backwoods horseman should be wearing helmets. It's an awfully long fall from way up there.

But your not the only one out there. Having attended a few ATV/vehicle and ATV/ATV accidents, I have seen first hand what happens when someone thinks they are the only one one the road/bush trail. One guy even said he was only doing 10 k when the pickup truck hit him. Lucky he had on a helmet, as he was thrown into the bush from the impact. The other guys were not so lucky.

Wear a helmet, you never know when you will need one.

As for the new rules/laws, I have no problem with them. And there will be over 300 prov gov enforcement folks plus RCMP out there enforcing the new regs, and it will be a priority to enforce, but probably not to the summer next year. There will be an education period first, so expect to be checked and rechecked over the next year.

Cheers

SS

.330 Dakota
07-04-2014, 08:59 AM
About as effective as gun registration, sums it well.

You hit that nail right on the head. This is nothing more than a fund raiser. Next it will be insurance on them becomes mandatory, and not the BCWF type either, it will be a full blown ICBC insurance requirement. Another fund raiser for the financially inept ICBC. Saw this whole deal evolve when I lived in Ontario. For the nay sayers,,just watch and see. Snomobiling and atv sports will be only for the rich.

Iron Glove
07-04-2014, 09:04 AM
The Ministry says, "Dance" start lifting those feet. Start dancing before the prancin.
you want to play? Your going to pay. Also the insurance will not cover you if your not wearing a helmut when you roll over or lick back Jack. Same as a motor cycle rider.
Insurance said, you don't wear mandatory equipment when on the vehicle and get injured, your coverage will be cut in half or more.
Just like closed deactivated roads are made that way so responsibility goes to the user of that road. Not the forest company now,
Use thy brain and protect it.
I.d yourself put a tag on.
Jel .. And I don't think you can hang a cammo cloth over it when your out there lol.

ATV liability insurance is primarily intended to defend the ATV owner / operator when he is involved in an accident and is sued for the injuries / damages to third parties ( i.e. not himself ).
It is not intended to cover the medical expenses, etc. of the ATV owner / operator.
You can buy "accident insurance" if you wish but that's not what the mandatory insurance is all about.

limit time
07-04-2014, 09:06 AM

And PFD's for all people who fish rivers.

ACE
07-04-2014, 09:33 AM
ATV liability insurance is primarily intended to defend the ATV owner / operator when he is involved in an accident and is sued for the injuries / damages to third parties ( i.e. not himself ).
It is not intended to cover the medical expenses, etc. of the ATV owner / operator.
You can buy "accident insurance" if you wish but that's not what the mandatory insurance is all about.

The liability insurance is cheap ...... 1 million = $6. and 2 million = $9.

Good2bCanadian
07-04-2014, 09:57 AM
What happens if your hiking along a FSR doing 10km an hr and a pickup hits you?

Time for helmets for hikers now.

Im all for safety gear. Just let me decide when I use it.

Mulehahn
07-04-2014, 09:57 AM
I think legislating helmets is stupid, but I cannot figure out why anyone would not want to. Every person I know who does serious off-roading uses one. If you think that it is just a a nice slow ride, my neighbor was out for a casual quad ride at is cabin on a well groomed trail he had ridden hundreds (if not thousands) of times. Something happened and he fell and hit his head, died 3 days later. All those who say that it will take to long to get it off while hunting, if the deer didn't take off at the sound of the quad you have time. If it is because it limits your visibility you should be looking where you are going, or it is not a matter of if you are seriously injured but when. Even people I know who ride horses in competition wear their helmets when out for fun. Those who jest about wearing a PFD while river fishing, remember that every year fishermen do fall into the river and drown. My fishing vest doubles as a PFD. It is comfortable and helps me from becoming a statistic. Safety equipment should never be law, but because people should be smart enough to wear it or be responsible enough to know their limitations. .

As for the cash grab, the plates will do nothing to stop the idiots who trash the back country. They will just steal plates, report theirs stolen, cover them. or just not care. The odds of getting caught are so slim that it will probably be worth the risk to many so they are a cash grab. As for the rest, it is already required to have insurance for riding on most FSRs already so that is not a big deal (the BCWF insurance only covers you while fishing and hunting so it better be hunting season or you better have a rod and lake at the end of the trail). If you are just out camping and quading on a lot of trails, or on a FSR you need third party insurance anyways. The tax issue is similar. You are already legally supposed to pay the tax on a used quad. If you haven't you are breaking the law. These new laws don't really change that. It just appears to me that most people are simply ignorant of the current laws, or willfully ignore them. Either way, it is no excuse.

Scotty-B
07-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Helmet use should be a personal choice. Hell, even throughout the US, you are given the freedom from state to state. In some situations, I would happily wear one. Others, I think I would prefer not to. Let me choose my own destiny.

State
Current Helmet Law

Alabama

Universal; all riders

Alaska

Under-18 and any rider with an instructional permit; all passengers

Arizona

Under-18

Arkansas

Under-21

California

Universal; all riders

Colorado

Under-18; operators and passengers

Connecticut

Under-18

Delaware

Under-19

D.C.

Universal; all riders

Florida

Under-21 or those with less than $10,000 in medical insurance coverage for motorcycle riders

Georgia

Universal; all riders

Guam

Under-18

Hawaii

Under-18

Idaho

Under-18

Illinois

No restrictions / No law

Indiana

Under-18

Iowa

No restrictions / No law

Kansas

Under-18

Kentucky

Under-21 and riders licensed less than one year or with no medical insurance

Louisiana

Universal; all riders

Maine

Under-18 and riders licensed less than one year

Maryland

Universal; all riders

Massachusetts

Universal; all riders

Michigan

Under-21 and riders with no medical insurance

Minnesota

Under-18 and any rider with an instructional permit

Mississippi

Universal; all riders

Missouri

Universal; all riders

Montana

Under-18

Nebraska

Universal; all riders

Nevada

Universal; all riders

New Hampshire

No restrictions / No law

New Jersey

Universal; all riders

New Mexico

Under-18

New York

Universal; all riders

North Carolina

Universal; all riders

North Dakota

Under-18 and all passengers if operator is under 18

Northern Mariana Islands

Universal; all riders

Ohio

Under-18 and riders licensed less than one year; all passengers if operator is required to wear a helmet

Oklahoma

Under-18

Oregon

Universal; all riders

Pennsylvania

Under-21 and riders licensed less than two years (unless rider has completed PennDOT or Motorcycle Safety Foundation-approved motorcycle rider safety course)

Puerto Rico

Universal; all riders

Rhode Island

Under-21 and riders licensed less than one year; all passengers

South Carolina

Under-21

South Dakota

Under-18

Tennessee

Universal; all riders

Texas

Under-21 and riders who have not completed a motorcycle rider safety course or do not have medical insurance (secondary enforcement)

Utah

Under-18

Vermont

Universal; all riders

Virgin Islands

Universal; all riders

Virginia

Universal; all riders

Washington

Universal; all riders

West Virginia

Universal; all riders

Wisconsin

Under-18 and riders with only an instructional permit

Wyoming

Under-18

http://gfx.motosport.com/motoblog/2013/Helmet-Laws-Map.jpg (http://gfx.motosport.com/motoblog/2013/Helmet-Laws-Map.jpg)

Amphibious
07-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Until my taxes stop paying for your incompetence, I'll fully support motor vehicle helmet & seatbelt laws.

This is not the USA. We do not pay our own way. If we did, I'd be more then happy for helmetless rednecks to become vegetables. Our current medical system doen't allow for natural selection. Arguments like this make me wish it did.

RugDoctor
07-04-2014, 11:38 AM
And by that logic, no more calculated risk. No motorcycles on the road...they're dangerous after all. You're more likely to sustain more substantial injury in a motorcycle accident than in a car...so cars only. No large calibre rifles.....Injuries are worse with large calibre rifles if accidentally shot with one. No more ATV's at all....they're dangerous after all. No skydiving for crying out loud! Do you not see how dangerous that is! No swimming in the deep end....someone once drowned doing that. Yeah....my medical system had to pay for folks injured in any activity you can think of.....so let's just regulate everything that could concievably cause injury

Please take away all of my choices and personal responsibility. As long as you can say something is in my own best interest, or yours for that matter, please legislate the crap out of us all and allow me to continue to baa with the rest of the sheep.

For those with broken facetious meters, well.......ya.

Jelvis
07-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Just do what your representatives in government suggest you do with new laws.
You can comply and still bitch about it if you like.
But do OBEY!
Jelly Stone Parks

Darksith
07-04-2014, 12:10 PM
what about a SxS with a full roll cage and seat belts? Do you need to wear a helmet with that? Whats so different between that and a sidekick or jeep with the top off? Either way the rule only works when it is able to be enforced, and without people to enforce it its just words on paper. Thats the real problem here is there is no one to catch the rule breakers, a plate or decal won't fix that problem...

Scuba_Dave
07-04-2014, 12:16 PM
This topic was beat to death earlier but:
3. Insurance is already required for most off road use such as on FSR's etc., it's not new and it's unlikely that ICBC will be providing it. Likely will stay with the Private Insurers as it presently is. Liability Insurance isn't that expensive, $75 per vehicle is common. And no, the basic BCWF coverage is not adequate for most.

It is part of Bill 13. It is ICBC.

ACE
07-04-2014, 12:19 PM
I believe the RCMP in Ladysmith have quads now. A friend said he saw officers learning how to operate them, and that they were fitted out with red/blue police lighting. Haven't seen this myself, but will give them a call for info.

Scuba_Dave
07-04-2014, 12:24 PM
The RCMP have had quads for a long time. SxS, argos the works. They have jet boats and RHIBs and zodiacs as well. They have to have them incase something happens in their jurisdiction and can't get cruisers out there. Like missing hunters and stuff. I know they had them way back in the day out on Island 22 and strawberry island to deal with morons being morons lol.

Scuba_Dave
07-04-2014, 12:25 PM
From what I have heard though Island 22 and Strawberry Island aren't the party holes they used to be though...Might be wrong on that one though haha

limit time
07-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Until my taxes stop paying for your incompetence, I'll fully support motor vehicle helmet & seatbelt laws.

This is not the USA. We do not pay our own way. If we did, I'd be more then happy for helmetless rednecks to become vegetables. Our current medical system doen't allow for natural selection. Arguments like this make me wish it did.
But your ok with The turban?

limit time
07-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Just do what your representatives in government suggest you do with new laws.
You can comply and still bitch about it if you like.
But do OBEY!
Jelly Stone Parks
Stop drinking the KOOL-AID!

Amphibious
07-04-2014, 01:57 PM
But your ok with The turban?

Not at all.

Iron Glove
07-04-2014, 02:57 PM
It is part of Bill 13. It is ICBC.

No, ICBC is only involved in the registration, etc. of the ATV, the Bill says nothing about Insurance.

sawmill
07-04-2014, 03:59 PM
If I gotta put insurance and plates on then I`m putting turn signals on the Rhino and driving it to work.

Scuba_Dave
07-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Iron Glove you are right. Though I am almost 100% certain that when this goes through they will enforce insuring ATV's. If for any reasons at first it will be for liability. Then it will snowball. They can't replace ATVs if they are stolen without the funds to do it. (one of the main reasons I feel they are even registering ATVs is theft.) So yeah there will be some sort of insurance to come out of this in either the following months but I would say within the year that it comes out.

Scuba_Dave
07-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Plus...It's freaking ICBC lol. If they can make a few more bucks off people they will. And it will come as fast as they think they can get away with it.

Scuba_Dave
07-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Insuring recreational rigs folks is a CASH COW. ICBC is going to use the numbers from this following year to build a demographic. They are going to present the numbers to the government and they are going to roll around in all the money we are going to have to throw at them LOL. Just think how many SxS's, ATV's, Argo's and Snow mobiles are in this province. Now register them and pay insurance on them. Thats a BIG chunk of money. Every province but BC does it already. ICBC finally opened their eyes and they are seeing GREEN hahahaha

RugDoctor
07-04-2014, 04:55 PM
Not to mention this so called "one time" registration will go the way of auto registration in order that we have to pay taxes on a used ATV that has already had the taxes paid for every time it was sold before you bought it. More of a tax grab than it is an enforcement of safety or recovery of stolen property service. Well......we'll get serviced alright.

Scuba_Dave
07-04-2014, 05:16 PM
lol on the transfer papers just put down that its a gift ;) no taxes lol

Mik
07-04-2014, 05:30 PM
so let's get this strAight, ya want ta rat out on those without plates? Good one!

Mik
07-04-2014, 05:33 PM
just another bs stealth tax - pay your money and get sweet f'all in return - whoopee!
x2.........

Doostien
07-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Are we on this again? Seems to me like the positives outweigh the negatives.

Registration? Snowmobiles have been registered since what? The seventies? Haven't seen those prices creep up or get mandatory insurance. As for insurance, operating an ORV on a forest service road already requires insurance and a driver's licence.

Every time I turn around it seems like another dirt bike has been stolen. With registration it ensures that if someone else tries to register that ORV ICBC can easily see that its stolen and get it back to you. Criminals also can't ship them to Alberta or Washington anymore, as both of those places also have registration. It takes a huge chunk out of the ability for criminals to make money selling these things. If they can't make money off of them they won't be stealing them for anything other than to joyride them. Something you can't really stop, though I'm sure a plate may help. As it stands now someone could steal yours, and ride it like it was his tomorrow if you don't have adequate proof it was yours.

As for the tax thing. I was under the impression you had to pay taxes on all private sales of motor vehicles, even ORVs.

Lets not forget the huge enforcement tools it gives. I spoke with a person from Parks Canada and was told now they could write down a plate of an offender and simply mail them the bill. Before if someone on an ORV ran from them there wasn't a lot they could do. Now C&E, the CO's, Park Rangers, the RCMP etc can catch offenders super easily.

As it stands now the only negatives I see are that POTENTIALLY, MAYBE, MIGHT BE that one day prices go up. Right now the bill has absolutely nothing to hint that in the future prices could increase. Fight increases as they come. Don't write off all the good this bill does because of conjecture about the future.

Doostien
07-04-2014, 05:42 PM
so let's get this strAight, ya want ta rat out on those without plates? Good one!

They won't need ratting out on. They'll just get caught by the CO's when they're unloading/loading their machines from the trucks. Funny thing is the areas where people unload aren't secrets. The CO's just need to drive by and write tickets to everyone without a plate.

RugDoctor
07-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Doostien....ya kinda got me. I guess it's how you put things....well...you're not a self righteous dik, so for what that's worth, it made me think a little more about your point and not a pompous, self righteous delivery. I'm willing to concede the registration may be worth something if it catches some scrotebag thief....now see if you have the right magic on the helmet aspect! (sincerely, respect your point of view and the way you presented it)

ACE
07-04-2014, 05:52 PM
lol on the transfer papers just put down that its a gift ;) no taxes lol

You'll be assessed at the market value ......

RugDoctor
07-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Aaaaannnnd then ya lost me with the idea that COs or anyone else should actually enforce this. I guess.....again, this could be a CHOICE. If I'm worried about my ATV being stolen, maybe I choose to register. If I'm okay with recovering my own stolen property, or taking the risk.....then maybe it's my CHOICE to register, or not.

Doostien
07-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Doostien....ya kinda got me. I guess it's how you put things....well...you're not a self righteous dik, so for what that's worth, it made me think a little more about your point and not a pompous, self righteous delivery. I'm willing to concede the registration may be worth something if it catches some scrotebag thief....now see if you have the right magic on the helmet aspect! (sincerely, respect your point of view and the way you presented it)

Thanks. I totally understand the point people have with prices increasing. Nothing ever stays static and ICBC is the greediest bunch of thieves on the planet. I don't trust them, but I'm willing to fight them after the fact. I just want to see most of what this bill has put into practice.

The helmet thing to me is a bit stupid. When I'm on my ATV I generally just putt around. If I fell off it would be no different than if I fell down while running. For hunting having a helmet is counter intuitive. It just adds another step between you and your shot. Imagine trying to take a shot only to have the scope hit your helmet. I've always felt that if you don't wear a helmet you kind of get what's coming to you. I would never race around on a bike at 80k+ without one, not that I do anyway.

Mik
07-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Talk about it all ya want, but this year at the AGM the spokes woman was there and I tried talking to her about the pros and cons of this new law! She seemed like she listened, or wanted to, took my name down and that was the last I heard of/from her!! Now having said that, it was very difficult to speak to her as that rep on behalf of BCWF that was with her at all times endorsing the law, kept trying to tell me that I was wrong. So is this where the BCWF thinks there helping me/us??

Phreddy
07-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Long overdue in my opinion. Seen too many goofs out there tearing up the terrain and giving us all a bad name. I'll gladly pay my $40 and will be the first to report any dickhead who is buggering it up for the rest of us.

Phreddy
07-04-2014, 06:12 PM
I would "rat out" any craphead screwing up our resources whether I had a quad or not. We are responsible to keep the bush as pristine as we can, (i.e.-pack it in pack it out, etc.) I'm so sick and tired of cleaning up other folks messes and seeing what some of these weekend warriors do to the trails, etc. while clowning around on their quads, etc.

Jelvis
07-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Helmets will limit your vision also, your side vision, it could cost you sighting a buck or bull. Can't turn your head and see the road either. Light will be angling out from the reflection of sun in the early and late of the day, off your covered noggin.
It's gonna change things for hunting efficiency because loss of visual angles of the dangles.
. It's the angle of the dangle - Helmets can't see -I see nut tinck, I hear nut tinck
-- Like Hogan's Hero's -- what's those blue and red flashing strobe lights?
Jel - Like looking in your mirror and seeing a POLICE car -- Crosby Stills Nash and Young.

Iron Glove
07-04-2014, 07:27 PM
There already is compulsory liability insurance for ATVs if you use them on public land and there are regular enforcement checks in many areas. There would be absolutely no reason for the Gov't. to make physical insurance ( i.e. theft, etc. ) coverage mandatory. If the Gov't., through ICBC was ever to make physical insurance mandatory they would start with automobiles where as you know only liability insurance is mandatory. Liability insurance has nothing to do with "stolen" ATVs as it simply doesn't cover it so how someone can suggest ICBC needs "funds to do it" when the insurance doesn't cover "stolen" is beyond me.

Mik
07-04-2014, 07:29 PM
I would "rat out" any craphead screwing up our resources whether I had a quad or not. We are responsible to keep the bush as pristine as we can, (i.e.-pack it in pack it out, etc.) I'm so sick and tired of cleaning up other folks messes and seeing what some of these weekend warriors do to the trails, etc. while clowning around on their quads, etc.
Let's not confuse the issue, packin it in n packin it out is a seperate issue! And don't forget that there are atv/motorcycle clubs Tearin up trails as well and so is another issue ! Were talking hunters on quads havin to wear Helmuts and pay insurance and taxes every time ya buy/sell

Good2bCanadian
07-04-2014, 07:43 PM
I figured out I won't have to wear a helmet.

Wearing a toque is my canadian tradition.
And almost a religion.

We can all play this game.

Its how my forefathers did it. I don't want to loose my tradition.

RugDoctor
07-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Good2bCanadian.....If I had a daughter, I'd offer you a dowry.

Kami
07-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Wanted to further talk about the seat belt and helmet comment. Someone mentioned earlier back in this thread about a side by side. If you had one with a full roll cage and a seat belt, do you have to wear a helmet? How is this any different than a Sidekick or Samurai with the roof off. You don't need to wear a helmet in a licensed 4x4. This is an interesting comment, and got me thinking. Someone else also mentioned that if they had to register, insure and plate their side by side, they would put turn signals on it and drive it to work. Again, interesting comment.

If I recall, all vehicles that are registered for public road use in Canada are required to meet certain safety and crash test criteria. A Samurai or Sidekick for example, met the criteria back in the respective years that they were built. Crash test data was compiled and recorded. Minimum safety standards were met. Some vehicles do not meet our Canadian safety standards and are therefore not for sale here. I am pretty sure quads, side by sides, dirt bikes and the like, do not meet these standards. If I am right (not sure) I doubt a side by side with turn signals is going to be on our public roads any time soon. Side by side occupants will most likely be required to wear helmets for this reason too. Yes you can drive them on the roads in Mexico and many other countries where the average life expectancy of the average male is 50 years old, but not here.

Here is an example of some of today's safety standards:Fully Safety-Certified Passenger CarsPassenger cars need to meet over 40 safety standards These design and performance standards include occupant protection during frontal, side, and rear collisions.

As a result, mainstream cars are required to be designed far more robustly than LSVs, and this reduces the risk of injury or death to occupants. However, the level of risk depends on the severity of a crash and the design and extent of protection offered by individual models. The risk is therefore reduced but cannot be eliminated.
Passenger cars are typically designed with a robust occupant compartment structure. The front and rear of a car typically have energy absorbing "crumple zones" which reduce the severity of the forces transmitted to occupants and hence protects them. The doors of a car are typically made of stamped steel plates and comprise energy absorbing materials within. In combination with stiff metal side pillars, this helps to reduce the extent of intrusion of a striking vehicle and decreases the risk of direct contact with the occupants of the struck vehicle.
The internal design of passenger cars also protects their occupants from violent contact with the interior of their own vehicle.
In frontal collisions, the seat belt systems (which often incorporate sophisticated injury reducing components such as impact sensors, pretensioners and load limiters) work in conjunction with the air bags to reduce the risk of head/thorax impact against the steering wheel and dash board.
In rear impact collisions, the head restraints, seat back, seat belts, and seat anchorages work together to protect the occupants.
In side impact collisions, if the vehicle is equipped with side curtain air bags, this would reduce the risk of the occupant's head being struck directly by an intruding vehicle.

TravisC
07-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Big friggin differance between weekend riders and hunters. Im all for helmets, but really how many hunters are going much more then the bikes idle? because if you are your not seeing F-all. A helmet to hunt really come on. Whats funny (or not funny) about this tax grab is that fact that people can still jump on a scooter without a licence and drive them, and its fine to go right down the middle of the highway backing up traffic. Yet a quad on a Fsr will need all this extra crap. What about all the cyclists in the world sh*t if you live in the lowermain land we will give you full rights to the city do what you want heres another lane, hell take the whole bridge , and your not required to be licenced or insured. Who pay for that ya the honest motorist. Waste our tax payers money somewhere else then hunters trying to fill a freezer for the winter. With or without plates, helmets, or whatever rules and regulations they set out its still going to be the honest riders/hunters that get screwed over because of the cost trying to regulate this and the insurance will just keep going up $$. The rule breakers and scum will always just be that, no matter what the fine is. Write them a ticket and watch them use it for their fire starter. The honest will have to pay for these A-holes. Do you think the fine will be more then the total cost it will take to have CO's or law enforcement track down the offenders. Yet again more cost to the Honest guy paying insurance.

RugDoctor
07-04-2014, 09:50 PM
Paragraphs are our friends.

Bugle M In
07-04-2014, 11:15 PM

as previous poster mentioned....if its law...u get stopped by CO, without plates.....Good luck buddy!!!
sure, someone without plates may be more inclined to travel/ hunt in Motor vehicle restricted areas...as happens each year!
And ya...your right.... harder to report for sure!......but as stated... get stopped with out plates.....u will be bucking up!

and guys that don't want fines will have plates attached, and most likely wont be so inclined to get stupid ( best way to put that! ).
To me...it will all work out for the better!
no matter which way u want to play your cards on this issue...meaning...do u hunt without plates .. .. or do u hunt with them!!!

Sorry if u feel that reporting someone with a vehicle in a motorized restricted area is "RATTING"....
But us on foot work are asses of playing by the rules.......wondering now...do u feel some are privileged to do what ever they want????
Should I feel sorry for someone who is allowed to hold a Hunting licence ...but can't read???..or better yet, doesn't give a shit???
Ya...I feel really sorry reporting those guys.......not!!!

So give yourself some thought before u type something lol!

.330 Dakota
07-05-2014, 09:50 AM
I figured out I won't have to wear a helmet.

Wearing a toque is my canadian tradition.
And almost a religion.

We can all play this game.

Its how my forefathers did it. I don't want to loose my tradition.

You hoser EH, BY jeepers I thinks youre onto somtin der, it is our tradition and God given right to sportin da toque,,and our Molson Candian holy water eh..why not it worked for the turbin

.330 Dakota
07-05-2014, 10:02 AM
What happens if your hiking along a FSR doing 10km an hr and a pickup hits you?

Time for helmets for hikers now

Im all for safety gear. Just let me decide when I use it.

Some of these cidiots should don a helmet when they get out of bed

goatdancer
07-05-2014, 10:17 AM
If an ATV is being transported in the back of a pickup or on a trailer, does it have to have a plate as long as it does not touch Crown land?

Surrey Boy
07-05-2014, 10:19 AM
as previous poster mentioned....if its law...u get stopped by CO, without plates.....Good luck buddy!!!
sure, someone without plates may be more inclined to travel/ hunt in Motor vehicle restricted areas...as happens each year!
And ya...your right.... harder to report for sure!......but as stated... get stopped with out plates.....u will be bucking up!

and guys that don't want fines will have plates attached, and most likely wont be so inclined to get stupid ( best way to put that! ).
To me...it will all work out for the better!
no matter which way u want to play your cards on this issue...meaning...do u hunt without plates .. .. or do u hunt with them!!!

Sorry if u feel that reporting someone with a vehicle in a motorized restricted area is "RATTING"....
But us on foot work are asses of playing by the rules.......wondering now...do u feel some are privileged to do what ever they want????
Should I feel sorry for someone who is allowed to hold a Hunting licence ...but can't read???..or better yet, doesn't give a shit???
Ya...I feel really sorry reporting those guys.......not!!!

So give yourself some thought before u type something lol!

Paragraphs are our friends.
As are spelling and punctuation. Hard to take illiterates seriously when they try to educate others.

Big Buck Killer
07-05-2014, 10:25 AM
I talked to a friend yesterday who owns a private local insurance company about this issue and he said that the infrastructure is not in place yet, and it is supposed to be in effect sometime in November. Apparently they are not being informed as well as they wish and get as much information from the industry as the newspapers provide. He also said there will be a huge problem in the beginning as all owners will have to provide proof of ownership in order to register.

czechsanchez
07-05-2014, 11:56 PM
they should really allow these things on roads while they're at it.

I lived in europe for 5 years and they allow quads as street legal with proper lighting etc.. if those over regulating governments over there allow it, i'd hope we could see it here

Fisher-Dude
07-06-2014, 07:39 AM
Let's not confuse the issue, packin it in n packin it out is a seperate issue! And don't forget that there are atv/motorcycle clubs Tearin up trails as well and so is another issue ! Were talking hunters on quads havin to wear Helmuts and pay insurance and taxes every time ya buy/sell

Hunters and all other quad buyers already have to pay taxes on every sale of used quads. That's not new and is separate legislation (Provincial Sales Tax Act), and if you're horse-trading quads without paying taxes you are already breaking the law.

squamishhunter
07-06-2014, 08:16 AM
I will not register. Not because I wanna ride in prohibited areas, but because I'm ****ing sick of the double standards our 'government' has.

Mik
07-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Hunters and all other quad buyers already have to pay taxes on every sale of used quads. That's not new and is separate legislation (Provincial Sales Tax Act), and if you're horse-trading quads without paying taxes you are already breaking the law.
you're missing the point! There's waaaaay too many rules as it !! And if you're insinuating that I don't , give it up! I bought one quad from the states , all taxes paid at the border !

300wsmBrowning
07-06-2014, 05:58 PM
It's no different then the gun registry. Another way to charge us more money for nothing. A**holes will be A**holes regardless of rules.

Piperdown
07-07-2014, 03:11 PM
Get over it my quads have been licensed for the last 5 years, more coverage if anything goes south.

stan
07-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Get over it my quads have been licensed for the last 5 years, more coverage if anything goes south.

good for you

stan
07-07-2014, 03:49 PM
It's no different then the gun registry. Another way to charge us more money for nothing. A**holes will be A**holes regardless of rules.

exactly,just more bullshit they will chip away and chip away until it is all to big of pain in the ass to bother with.

Piperdown
07-07-2014, 04:00 PM
So you spend 10 grand on a atv and bitch about 150 bucks to license it the first year 45 bucks after that, maybe you should all sell you units.

Fisher-Dude
07-07-2014, 04:12 PM
So you spend 10 grand on a atv and bitch about 150 bucks to license it the first year 45 bucks after that, maybe you should all sell you units.

Cost is $48 once. There is no annual fee. That makes your point all the more powerful.

stan
07-07-2014, 04:14 PM

that's not the point ,my issue is to much government.im sick of useless politicians doing nothing except figuring out more ways to get in my wallet and interfere with my life

Piperdown
07-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Cost is $48 once. There is no annual fee. That makes your point all the more powerful.

Hey FD the first time i licensed mine you had to pay a fee to register it as a motor vehicle then the license plate, every year after i have to pay for the plate. hope it changes will make it even a better deal.

Fisher-Dude
07-07-2014, 04:24 PM
that's not the point ,my issue is to much government.im sick of useless politicians doing nothing except figuring out more ways to get in my wallet and interfere with my life

Blame the ever increasing bunch of idiots who have been ripping sensitive habitat to shit. The politicians are just reacting to the calls of concerned people to stop the damage.

ACE
07-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Piper ..... is your quad licensed as a 'Rate Class 035' ...... with a 'Restricted X' plate .... ?
Do you have/use a 'Operation Permit' .. (road permit) .... ?
This is a commercial application with optional liability insurance (cheap) ..

stan
07-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Blame the ever increasing bunch of idiots who have been ripping sensitive habitat to shit. The politicians are just reacting to the calls of concerned people to stop the damage.

you don't really believe that do you? they would add funding to the conservation officers budget instead of reducing the budget if that was the case.as said before it is all about collection of sales tax.im guessing the gov realizes that 90% of used orv sales arnt generating any tax revenue and they want more money to fund pensions, large salarys,jobs for buddys ,familys etc.lets call a spade a spade .

Fisher-Dude
07-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Sales tax laws are staying the same as they are right now.

REMINGTON JIM
07-07-2014, 05:15 PM

I AGREE with you STAN :wink: - i live very Rural - and the WEEKend Warriors or IDIOTS which is really what they are come up here and RIP around - I have called law enforcement many a times and NOTHING is done . Its just a money grab on the atv's and none of that money will be used for POLICEING ! the problem People ! Phuck the useless Politicians and the rest of the USELESS goverment too ! :evil: JMO RJ

stan
07-07-2014, 05:15 PM
Sales tax laws are staying the same as they are right now.

we know that,but right now very little is collected from private sales.just a simple fact.

Fisher-Dude
07-07-2014, 06:28 PM
we know that,but right now very little is collected from private sales.just a simple fact.

So what you're saying then is that you don't mind paying more income tax if some people can screw the rest of the taxpayers by not paying the sales tax they are required to pay? Or more gas tax? Or more carbon tax?

Government requires X dollars to operate. If they only collect X - (tax on used vehicles), they'll just collect it from you in some other way by jacking your income tax or some other tax. Or, they borrow more, and saddle you, your kids, and grandkids with the cost. It's a very simple formula.

If I'm reading your posts right, you're suggesting that breaking the law is okay, because someone else may get dinged to pay what you don't pay.

Fisher-Dude
07-07-2014, 06:30 PM
I have called law enforcement many a times and NOTHING is done

Ever stop to think that nothing is done because it's impossible to identify the quads involved? ;)

stan
07-07-2014, 07:15 PM
just stating facts ,I pay plenty believe me.if the gov wasn't so loose with our tax dollars they would have plenty,but they piss our money away on perks for themselves etc then just grab more.you don't make much sense to me fisherdude

Fisher-Dude
07-07-2014, 07:25 PM
just stating facts ,I pay plenty believe me.if the gov wasn't so loose with our tax dollars they would have plenty,but they piss our money away on perks for themselves etc then just grab more.you don't make much sense to me fisherdude

Spending priorities and failure to pay legally owed taxes are two completely different subjects. Moreover, the new quad legislation does not change the requirement to pay taxes on used goods.

stan
07-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Spending priorities and failure to pay legally owed taxes are two completely different subjects. Moreover, the new quad legislation does not change the requirement to pay taxes on used goods.

so your telling me that joe blow buys a 8 year old quad or trailbike for his kid and gives the gov its cut out of the goodness of his heart,your dreaming bro and I don't believe you would.

Fisher-Dude
07-07-2014, 07:38 PM
so your telling me that joe blow buys a 8 year old quad or trailbike for his kid and gives the gov its cut out of the goodness of his heart,your dreaming bro and I don't believe you would.

I'm telling you what the sales tax laws are, and how they are not changing with the new offroad legislation.

Whether you choose to be in compliance with tax laws, or not, is entirely up to you.

stan
07-07-2014, 07:43 PM
I'm telling you what the sales tax laws are, and how they are not changing with the new offroad legislation.

Whether you choose to be in compliance with tax laws, or not, is entirely up to you.

I am just stating that collection of sales tax on private orv sales is the reason for the legislation.it has nothing to do with protection of the environment.

hawk-i
07-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Oh shyt, now I'm going to have to learn how to tie a turban!
I wonder if anyone sells a turban toque.

Good2bCanadian
07-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Turning the public into finks isn't gonna help sh!t.
They need to get the COs in the bush and target these trouble areas.

Finks calling in will take 5x the work to prosecute and fine compared to a CO on the ground.

Put up signs to inform, install barricades to sensitive areas, enforce the ass hats that don't give a dam.

Fisher-Dude
07-07-2014, 08:50 PM
98,000 hunters in BC. 400,000 anglers. 117 COs.

The "finks" as you call them are owners of the resources (fish, game, Crown land/habitat) being stolen or damaged by asshats. If someone was stealing or damaging a truck or a gun that you owned, would you "fink" on them?

RugDoctor
07-07-2014, 09:02 PM
The tax is coming. Anything that must be registered can, and will be taxed. You're only being called a fink because you're abrasive and annoying.

Good2bCanadian
07-07-2014, 09:07 PM
That's not my point Dude.

Once a report is made, how much time is involved to prosecute that vs a CO on the ground writing tickets.

And which method is more cost effective?

Boots on the ground

Sitkaspruce
07-07-2014, 09:13 PM
Problem with the CO's is all the mundane, idiot, stupid, waste of their time calls that take up 50% or more their time. Just cruise the posts on HBC, ATVBC etc and see how many times people recommend calling the CO's for something that has nothing to do with them. The other problem is that their mandate has changed in some ways, F&W are not always their main focus, neither is catching A$$hats who screw up the apline etc. Lots of other crap that they now have ro deal with.

I will say it again, there will also be the NRO's that will enforce this and other regulations, and they will be making it part of their mandate to enforce the new regs.

Cheers

SS

ACE
07-07-2014, 09:23 PM
.....Once a report is made, how much time is involved to prosecute that vs a CO on the ground writing tickets.
And which method is more cost effective?
Boots on the ground

In a perfect world ...... how would you deal with irresponsible, dangerous, damaging 'off road vehicle' users?
How would you deal with litigation and theft?
This is a start. If you and others don't like it .... put forward some positive ideas.
If you and others don't like it .... don't comply. See how far that gets you.

The registration is coming ..... get used to it.

REMINGTON JIM
07-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Ever stop to think that nothing is done because it's impossible to identify the quads involved? ;)

YUP and that was not the problem at all - i even know where there cabins are - the POLICE will not do anything unless they catch them in the act of wrong doing - Oh Well never know what can happen :cry: RJ

Bugle M In
07-07-2014, 10:02 PM
Turning the public into finks isn't gonna help sh!t.
They need to get the COs in the bush and target these trouble areas.

Finks calling in will take 5x the work to prosecute and fine compared to a CO on the ground.

Put up signs to inform, install barricades to sensitive areas, enforce the ass hats that don't give a dam.

Firstly, there are a few areas which have gates, but quads and trail bikes can often slip thru.
CO's where in the woods for a week in EK's,...meaning camped out and then patrolling each day.
So, they are changing there strategies, for now anyways.
Can't say if reporting has ever come to a conviction, but they do look into stuff for sure!

As for cash grab, I agree to a point.
If it was a one time fee, with a license plate, for each new owner of a quad / dirt bike, I say it is great and way over due.
But I agree, once the wheels start turning, then yes, this could turn into a cash grab over the years if government change things in time, always asking for more money, never less!

Just like gun registry, I never had real issue with it, but I always worried it would cost me more and more each year to own them etc.

The real problem is laws are to soft on people who posses guns ( restricted etc ), for all the wrong reasons, and they get a slap on the hand, not serious jail time etc.
And CO's would definitely like to have more funds for officers and money to patrol more often ( I don't think most of them chose that career to sit in the office all day ),
so again, the real issue is the government, and it's lack of funding or more importantly concern etc.

I don't think there is anybody on this site that likes to see others fork out more money, but the reality is that there are so many different user groups out in the woods these days,
that it needs to be regulated better, and plates for identification is a great start IMO.

Good2bCanadian
07-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Not against this new system. My taxes are paid, I have liability and $48 for reg is no big deals.

Boots on the ground is the most effective way to combat the yahooism. Calling in plates will make little difference.

I think a tax free one year period to register used machines should be considered. It's not fair gramps needs to find a receipt for his 1983 big red he's been using for 30 years.

Helmets enforced on major FSRs travelling at speeds is wise, leave gramps alone when he's putting along his moose trails at 15km.

hunter1947
07-08-2014, 04:21 AM
It all boils down to a few idiots that ruin it all for us meaning riding there quads in places where there are no roads as far as the helmet goes some riders do stupid thing on quads and snowmobiles go to fast
I know I am not one of them people I go slow on off roads when I ride my quad,,, I do like the new ruling on plates registration but not wearing a helmet....

ACE
07-08-2014, 06:26 AM
Not against this new system. My taxes are paid, I have liability and $48 for reg is no big deals.

Boots on the ground is the most effective way to combat the yahooism. Calling in plates will make little difference.

I think a tax free one year period to register used machines should be considered. It's not fair gramps needs to find a receipt for his 1983 big red he's been using for 30 years.

Helmets enforced on major FSRs travelling at speeds is wise, leave gramps alone when he's putting along his moose trails at 15km.

Was told by an ICBC agent that there could be problems tracing previous owners, that ICBC recognizes this, and that the present owner only has to show proof of purchase - Bill of Sale - complete with the sellers name, address, and date of sale. This is good enough for registration purposes.

The one thing that many folks may not agree with is the helmet requirement while hunting.
I also have a '90 vintage Honda 4Trax bought second hand in '91 ........ don't have the Bill of Sale, and don't remember the sellers name ....

gitnadoix
07-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Was told by an ICBC agent that there could be problems tracing previous owners, that ICBC recognizes this, and that the present owner only has to show proof of purchase - Bill of Sale - complete with the sellers name, address, and date of sale. This is good enough for registration purposes.

The one thing that many folks may not agree with is the helmet requirement while hunting.
I also have a '90 vintage Honda 4Trax bought second hand in '91 ........ don't have the Bill of Sale, and don't remember the sellers name ....

No bill of sale any more, I am sure you can write any name you want, make it up, do you really think they are going to check up on it.......They just need to have something to fill in the box on the computer screen so that they can get to the next screen.

Mik
07-08-2014, 12:33 PM
No bill of sale any more, I am sure you can write any name you want, make it up, do you really think they are going to check up on it.......They just need to have something to fill in the box on the computer screen so that they can get to the next screen.
They will ask you to write a statement and get it notorized..... Oh now you have to pay more $$ to own something that you already own !!

Fisher-Dude
07-08-2014, 02:07 PM
They will ask you to write a statement and get it notorized..... Oh now you have to pay more $$ to own something that you already own !!

Fact or supposition? Link please.

limit time
07-08-2014, 03:47 PM
I had to do this for my boat when I registered it for numbers.

Doostien
07-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Firstly, there are a few areas which have gates, but quads and trail bikes can often slip thru.
CO's where in the woods for a week in EK's,...meaning camped out and then patrolling each day.
So, they are changing there strategies, for now anyways.
Can't say if reporting has ever come to a conviction, but they do look into stuff for sure!

It does if you can provide enough evidence to them. Photos and video are your friend. The more you can provide the less they have to look into. Even if they don't convict, the next time they look them up anytime they've been reported will show up. They'd be much less likely to believe something was an accident

Iron Glove
07-08-2014, 07:54 PM
I had to do this for my boat when I registered it for numbers.

Boat registration = Federal Gov't.
ATV registration = Provincial Gov't.
Same rules might not apply.

gh300
07-09-2014, 08:49 PM
word to the sheeples.

gh300
07-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Maybe they should get the ranchers to register their cows and hang plates around their necks. The way i see it the cows are cusing more damage than any ATV's driving down logging roads

REMINGTON JIM
07-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Maybe they should get the ranchers to register their cows and hang plates around their necks. The way i see it the cows are cusing more damage than any ATV's driving down logging roads

Yea BUT thats not the same and it don't matter and besides it just the way it is so there ! :-? LOL RJ

.330 Dakota
07-12-2014, 07:45 PM

Excellent Point, well said. So there RJ,,lol

Mik
07-13-2014, 05:30 AM
Sorry no link, that is what the lady at the BCWF AGM had said.

300H&H
07-13-2014, 07:00 AM
I saw this coming years ago. Snowmobiles have to be licensed and have a sticker plate so it was just a matter of time until the government did the same to off road vehicles.
$45 to reg. your machine will not break me.
What I can see happening is the COs and RCMP will most likely enforce the "spirit" of the law differently.
On guy will say you MUST wear your helmet all of the time, while another may want you to just wear it while on a logging road, off road your fine without it.
Personally I have been stopped at a FSR check and was not wearing my helmet ( I was hunting ).
The CO was OK with me not having it on but the RCMP officer wanted me to wear it.
I am aware that I must wear a helmet while on a FSR but I do no use it while actively hunting, my choice and I am prepared to pay the consequence.

Bad people will still do bad things...a license plate will not stop them.

Phreddy
07-13-2014, 07:56 AM
From where I sit it would appear that the only folks who have any problem with putting a $40 plate on a $7000 piece of equipment are those who don't want anyone to know it is they who continue to rip up the alpine and wilderness making us all look bad. Sorry, but I'll gladly pay the $40 along with the required insurance. If it's me that's doing the damage I guess I'll just have to pay the consequences of my action. $40 on a sport that has cost one hell of a lot more than that in other equipment is a small price to pay to help me protect my right to ride on public land.

bridger
07-13-2014, 08:40 AM
From where I sit it would appear that the only folks who have any problem with putting a $40 plate on a $7000 piece of equipment are those who don't want anyone to know it is they who continue to rip up the alpine and wilderness making us all look bad. Sorry, but I'll gladly pay the $40 along with the required insurance. If it's me that's doing the damage I guess I'll just have to pay the consequences of my action. $40 on a sport that has cost one hell of a lot more than that in other equipment is a small price to pay to help me protect my right to ride on public land.

I have no problem with the $40 but if anyone thinks this us going to be anything other than another government rule and tax grab. Look back at the gun registry. Same idea. My thoughts

sparky300winmag
07-15-2014, 07:24 PM
I totally agree with you on the helmet thing. What a bunch of BS. Like you said it our choice as long as it doesn't endanger others. All this does is lay more crap on the CO's to deal with.