PDA

View Full Version : Anyone experience the Cabela's MT050

RobTurbo
07-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Hey guys,

Was down at Cabela's last weekend and tried on their MT050 Pro Rain jacket http://www.cabelas.ca/product/64817/cabelas-mt050-pro-rain-jacket (http://www.cabelas.ca/product/64817/cabelas-mt050-pro-rain-jacket) as well as the pants http://www.cabelas.ca/product/64818/cabelas-mt050-pro-rain-pants

Does anyone have experience with this gear? Is it truly waterproof and breathable?

After reading on the forms I've been leaning towards the Kuiu Yukon jacket/pants setup but am concerned with the noise and wear-ability in the bush. This Cabela's gear seems durable, quiet and saves me about $150....Would love to hear some input from the group.

Background on me. Long time white tail hunter from AB. Have not hunted in the rain yet, only freezing snow. Looking forward to Moose and Elk in Northern BC.

Thanks,
Rob

huntcoop
07-01-2014, 09:19 PM
I have some of the mt050, the model/style below the Whitetail Extreme mt050. All is gore-tex and bulletproof, I love my stuff. Going on 5 years old and still flawless in performance. I've used it in Fort St John during a week of -25 and on Vancouver Island in pouring rain, wonderful product.

boxhitch
07-02-2014, 06:43 AM
It is the Gore-tex that allows the claim to be water-proof and breathable , take that for what it is worth if you have had experience with gore .
The outer layer is poly fleece , but a very low nap , quieter than denim but not as quiet as deeper fuzzy clothes . And it does retain water , like any fleece , but DWR coatings do help .

Similar to so many other 'hunting' clothes , Browning hydro-fleece , Remington , Rocky , Swazi , Ridgeline , etc.
But you will never match the Cabelas guarantee , if you are not happy , just take it back.

srupp
07-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Have used this product for 6....7 years pants, rain coat and parka...extremelly happy no problems...durable, rainproof.and little condensation from sweat...

Cheers
Srupp

Squire
07-03-2014, 05:34 PM
I have 4 pieces: un-insulated bibs and jacket and insulated bibs and parka. The insulated bibs would be suitable for stand hunting as I find them too warm for most days in our climate. I prefer to use the un-insulated bibs with my Peter Pan's for layering if it gets cold.

I give them high marks for comfort, durability and quiet.

RobTurbo
07-08-2014, 06:10 PM
Awesome feedback all!

Much appreciated :)

knockturnal
07-14-2014, 03:15 PM
I've been wearing it as well for the past 5 years. I have nothing bad to say.

Ruger.270
07-18-2014, 08:41 PM
curious for those who own the MT050 -

1) does it have the mesh liner inside? my old rain suede stuff has that and it makes an AWFUL sliding noise in the pants over my long johns when i'm hiking.

2) how bad is the fleecy material for holding water when its raining?

3) what's the general noise level like? is this stuff wearable when its not raining or is it a "downpour only" level of noise

huntcoop
07-18-2014, 10:40 PM
1. Mine has an incredibly soft and quiet lining.
2. The exterior does not hold water than I'm aware of, maybe a tiny amount if any.
3. I find the material very quiet when dry, not as quiet as fleece but pretty damn good.

Ourea
07-19-2014, 08:14 AM
Bought a set 6 years ago.
Haven't worn in 4 as I am tired of getting soaked in it.

Being a hardcore backpack hunter means you are always pushing bush.
If you push bush in the rain this gear gets soaked and heavy, like all goretex products.

For "light" hunting in wet conditions it is fine.
If you expect to stay bone dry pounding the hills in the rain in this gear you will be sadly disappointed.

If you want a set of MT050 raingear you can buy mine....and cheap.

Goose
07-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Bought a set 6 years ago.
Haven't worn in 4 as I am tired of getting soaked in it.

Being a hardcore backpack hunter means you are always pushing bush.
If you push bush in the rain this gear gets soaked and heavy, like all goretex products.

For "light" hunting in wet conditions it is fine.
If you expect to stay bone dry pounding the hills in the rain in this gear you will be sadly disappointed.

If you want a set of MT050 raingear you can buy mine....and cheap.

Ourea, what do you use or suggest then for your style of hunting then?
Thanks!

Ourea
07-19-2014, 09:23 AM
Ourea, what do you use or suggest then for your style of hunting then?
Thanks!

I'm tired of spending $500+ for raingear only to have them fail when the conditions are tough.

I picked up a set of Helly Hansen Workwear rain gear at Mark's last seaon.
I believe the jacket and pants were about 80 bucks each.
They have elasticity, are 100 % waterproof, have a micro pile lining that help wick some moisture, are lightweight and are extremely compact so they take up next nothing of your valuable pack space. If you catch a snag and tear a hole in the legs...no big deal... throw them out and grab another pr.
The only downside is they don't breathe so they will obviously retain heat and you will sweat as a result.

You just have to pick your poison.....breathable that will leak when pushing bush or.....waterproof that will keep you 100% dry but retains heat.
I choose the latter.