PDA

View Full Version : Rabbits

Grakyn
07-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Is it just me or does it seem like there is a ton of rabbits this year? I've been doing some bush homework around the Prince George area and it's not uncommon to come around a corner on a gravel road and see 10 - 15 scatter every which way. I don't remember seeing anything like this in previous years. I am thinking it'll be good coyote hunting next year.

BRvalley
07-01-2014, 11:20 AM
seeing lots in the chetwynd area as well, but I did last year too

shortrange
07-01-2014, 11:25 AM
I was hunting bears between Quesnel and 100 Mile last 2 days and saw a lot of rabbits. I just bought a 410 so I could hunt some. European rabbits are always open and Snowshoe Hare season starts next month.

leadpillproductions
07-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Aug 1 cant come soon enough for the boy and his 410, the rabbits are in trouble

steel_ram
07-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Lots down South this year as well. Too bad I can't stand the way they stink when you skin them.

Foxtail
07-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Yes lots around the lower mainland as well. My dad and I were just talking about this on the weekend... And the low number of coyotes we have seen this year.

Jagermeister
07-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Should be peak year for lynx and bobcat too.

Steelpulse
07-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Seeing usual numbers of rabbbiits up iin kamloops can't wait to start hunting themm again

liambobbi
07-01-2014, 10:50 PM
Lol in reg 8 too

bc sportsman
07-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Any special care required re rabbits and parasites/disease?

epicZERO74
07-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Lol in reg 8 too
Where are you seeing most of them in reg 8?

buck nash
07-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Any special care required re rabbits and parasites/disease?.

Avoid rabbit sashimi. Thats about it.

Singleshotneeded
07-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Epic, besides telling you where to hunt them, do you want us to shoot them, clean them, and bring them to your house with some beer as well? :-D Lol, logging roads that climb into the hills with deciduous bushes on the side and pines in behind...1/2 hour before sundown until sundown is your best time. Cook the bunnies well and no issues...no such thing as medium rare bunny! :-) Snowshoe hares are on a ten year population cycle, we must be getting close to the peak this year...the year they reach their peak they start contracting disease and their population crashes...then slowly starts rebuilding.

Grakyn
07-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Didn't know about the population cycle, makes sense. And definitely just before sundown! Right now, about 8 PM on most any logging road is busy bunny time. Especially logging roads with little traffic. When vehicles pass by they scatter off the road for a time.

liambobbi
07-02-2014, 01:11 PM
What Singleshotneeded said they should be really easy to find me and my wife and son go out as soon as the season opens and time it so we got time to check the tc's and hit our best rabbit roads we take turns shooting and it is so much fun best way to spend August Saturday evenings

Singleshotneeded
07-02-2014, 01:37 PM
What Singleshotneeded said they should be really easy to find me and my wife and son go out as soon as the season opens and time it so we got time to check the tc's and hit our best rabbit roads we take turns shooting and it is so much fun best way to spend August Saturday evenings

My ten year old son is trying to decide between head shooting them with his .17HMR or light loads in his new 20 gauge...Dad is soooo looking forward to August! :-D

liambobbi
07-03-2014, 12:28 PM
That is so cool we like our .22 mags ,really good practice for a little guy

Grakyn
07-03-2014, 12:33 PM
I have a Browning T-Bolt .22 with a Simmons 3-9x40. Makes you feel like quite the sniper picking off rabbits from a distance.

liambobbi
07-03-2014, 08:14 PM
I like how the .22 mag gives u a bit more range I have a savage model 93 g which I put a rifle basix trigger on glass bed played with the action screw torque warne rimfire rings vortex crossfire 2 3-9x40 and don't forget 10 round mags love this set up

HarryToolips
07-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Epic, besides telling you where to hunt them, do you want us to shoot them, clean them, and bring them to your house with some beer as well? :-D Lol, logging roads that climb into the hills with deciduous bushes on the side and pines in behind...1/2 hour before sundown until sundown is your best time. Cook the bunnies well and no issues...no such thing as medium rare bunny! :-) Snowshoe hares are on a ten year population cycle, we must be getting close to the peak this year...the year they reach their peak they start contracting disease and their population crashes...then slowly starts rebuilding.
Exactly what he said....

bc sportsman
07-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Not too sure if Singleshotneeded was commenting to my post about concerns re how to handle rabbits. He may have been responding to another post.

I do know how to shoot them, know where they are and how to hunt them. I just remember some info from the Conservation office some 20 years ago warning people in the lower mainland about a serious outbreak of some sort of stuff and strongly advising that great care was needed in handling hunted rabbits when cleaning them. Wasn't certain whether this was still a concern.

HOWEVER, anyone who brings me shot rabbits that have already been cleaned will have all the beer they can drink in one night while we feast on these rascals!!!

ducktoller
07-04-2014, 06:08 AM
Poor information re disease here.

You should always wear gloves and even mask with rabbit. Tularemia will pass through unbroken skin. In addition it can easilyminfect thorough the eyes as well as through airborne particles.

bc sportsman
07-04-2014, 11:06 AM
Thanks ducktoller...that sounds like the issue in the lower mainland some 20 yrs ago. Haven't heard much more about it since then.