PDA

View Full Version : Kluachesi fly in

Lukeez88
07-01-2014, 07:56 AM
My brother and I are flying into kluachesi for sept 14-29. We will be primarily chasing elk. I've never been to kluachesi before and am looking for any insight on what to expect? where to get dropped off? Where to camp? And what areas to invest our time? I don't need anyone's secret honey hole location. I'm only look to gather a bit of knowledge to help formulate a plan. We are a couple hard working guys, ready to put the boots and packs on and go wherever our legs take us!

BigSlapper
07-01-2014, 10:49 AM
First post ... welcome :confused:
Good luck.

Brett
07-02-2014, 11:39 AM
watch out for bears! there are elk all over the place any direction....stay together

07-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Yup .... watch for Bears and by Bears I mean G Bears ....... your surrounded by Game, For Elk, them Grassy Burns, with nearby saddles and thick timber, the alpine grass bordering timber, KNOW how to BUGLE .... you'll have a riot ! Hold Back on the BIG Ass Bull Moose, you will wish you had ..... Look Further for Sheep, they are there too. Did I mention Watch out for G Bears ! Ya watch out for Bears.

Good Luck

07-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Yup .... watch for Bears and by Bears I mean G Bears ....... your surrounded by Game, For Elk, them Grassy Burns, with nearby saddles and thick timber, the alpine grass bordering timber, KNOW how to BUGLE .... you'll have a riot ! Hold Back on the BIG Ass Bull Moose, you will wish you had ..... Look Further for Sheep, they are there too. Did I mention Watch out for G Bears ! Ya watch out for Bears.
Did I mention say hi to Martin if ya Bump into him ........ haha many hear will know who I mean
Good Luck

Lukeez88
07-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Thanks curly top. So far what I've gotten from other people is that there is loads of game up there, and everywhere. I'm hoping to strike it rich with a leh g bear tag for there, hopefully find out soon. I'm sure looking forward to this adventure of my first fly in.

wlbc
07-03-2014, 08:10 AM
Lots of Grizzly bears, lots of wolves, lots of elk, lots of moose, a few goats and sheep.

The peninsula is nice to camp on and I see folks camped by the outlet stream on the farside from the peninsula, across from the peninsula, and down on the inlet end on the east side.

I have some favorite spots there, but as others have mentioned there is a large volume of game available if you are willing to work. Glass the night before, get up around 4:00AM hike up above where they bedded down, shoot them as they stand up for the day, quarter them and pack them out. Repeat as often as your tags and legs allow.

Also as others have mentioned the Grizzlies are very thick in there - keep your eyes open when you are on your kill and keep your rifle close, carry your rifle as you pack the bloody quarters down to your campsite. Exercise extreme caution if you have to return to the kill as it may very well have a bear or wolves on it.

Hang your meat high and keep your camp clean with no open food around to attract visitation and you should not have any issues at base.

Once you get your winter meat then glass the base of the buttress above the old burn to the north and left of the guide camp for sheep. Glass the rock faces opposite the peninsula for goats.

hunter fisher
07-03-2014, 08:17 AM
which airline are you flying with? which town are you leaving from? what are they charging you for the flight? very interested in doing a northern bc fly in aswell

Lukeez88
07-03-2014, 07:52 PM
We are flying in with Liard Air. We will be flying out of Muncho Lake. This is my first fly in with Liard, but I know plenty of guys that have been flying in with them for years. I've heard nothing but good things

stihl 660
07-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Hey buddy/ whats it looking like? Im also trying to help the cause as to info on the hunt that u guys r planning. We will chat at the cave.

markomoose
07-04-2014, 03:12 AM
A buddy of mine has been doing that trip for 16+ years and done well.I've been invited but the cost puts me off. Oh yeah he also said the G-bears are worse every year but as long as your packing and making noise you are good.

huff
07-04-2014, 04:03 AM
how much is the cost that puts you off.. MM... i'm interested in what it would set I guy back... $2000?

directmule
07-04-2014, 05:29 PM
how much is the cost that puts you off.. MM... i'm interested in what it would set I guy back... $2000?

For 2013 Liard Tours (Rockie Mountain Lodge)........Urs's price from Muncho Lake to Kluachesi Lake was:
C-206...................$1380.................650lbs
DHC2 Beaver.........$2170................1100lbs
DHC3 T- Otter........$3550................3020lbs

Remember, that's each way

markomoose
07-04-2014, 08:35 PM
What directmule sez!It aint cheap!

huff
07-04-2014, 08:47 PM
that cost isn't per person though is it ... otter will hold 6?

directmule
07-04-2014, 09:53 PM
The price is per flight, weights are given for good flying conditions, add people, camp, food, hunting gear, etc. for flight in, remember if you get game and
are coming out, the camp, people, hunting gear & a little food will be coming out.

Yes an Otter will hold 6, but look at the above.

Back in the early 80's we use to fly into Fern Lake, first out of McKenzie with NTA (Northern Thunderbird Airways) in a single Otter and later out of
Fort Nelson with Urs of Laird Air. It was costly then, but what we use to do was get a few groups together and decide when which group would go
in. If you had three groups go in, the first took the camp, set it up, hunted for the said time, usually 2 weeks and when the second group came in
the first group flew out, same for the second group. That way one party wasn't paying for a full rate of one trip in and one trip out.

What we did was figure out the total cost of all the flights, divide it equally and everyone was happy as it was cheaper that one party paying
for one trip in and one trip out.

Yes the middle party had a cakewalk, no camp to set up and no camp to take down but I was never lucky enough to be one of them.........I
needed to get in there and was always in the first. How stupid & silly are hunters? Second trip in there I took the wife & our two sons with
me, my hunting partner did the same and another hunting buddy took his son along with another friend tagging along.

11 people in total, 5 kids (9 to 12yr old) two wives, 3 hunting buddies and a friend..............yes two flights out of McKenzie to get in, wives,
kids & friend stayed one week and flew out when the second party came in. We stayed to help them out hunting. They still talk about it
today..............a trip they will never forget. Fishing back then was fantastic, told oldest son to get supper on the second day there and all
11 of us dined on two 5lb rainbow that night, caught from the shore.............not now days as it's catch & release. Had two rubber rafts with
us, one from Japan called a 4-man but good for only 2 with a 1.25 gamefisher on it and another 6-man zodiac with a 4hp on it. Pinched the
barbs and the kids took the 4-man and had a blast. Youngest came home with a 9+lb rainbow as they had it weighed in MaKenzie when they
came out. Price to fly to Fern is the same as Kluachesi now days don't remember what we paid back then.

.330 Dakota
07-04-2014, 10:30 PM
Check around Ft Nelson for flights,,,I have a buddy that does a company hunt in there. They fly out of Nelson for around $1200.00 I believe.

Brew
07-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Why is it s expensive? I know your up north but it's rediculous. I just chartered an otter 4 times into toba inlet for 850$ one way loaded to the tits. Granted it was from Campbell river and it's only a 20 minute flight but 3500$ one way seems crazy

Lukeez88
07-05-2014, 08:36 AM
The flight is definitely longer than 20 minutes. Maybe closer to an hour? Does anyone know? As far as being expensive, I really don't know. Most businesses these days have to stay fairly competitive just to exist. Not sure if it's different being up north. Everything else up north costs a lot of moolah.

Lukeez88
07-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Btw does anybody have some good stories/pictures from their adventures in kluachesi or anywhere else nearby?

wlbc
07-05-2014, 09:20 AM
A few pics from one year

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/wextcoaster_01/6x4_zpsa6980d3e.jpg (http://s200.photobucket.com/user/wextcoaster_01/media/6x4_zpsa6980d3e.jpg.html)

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/wextcoaster_01/IMGP0036_zpsf8b6a7fa.jpg (http://s200.photobucket.com/user/wextcoaster_01/media/IMGP0036_zpsf8b6a7fa.jpg.html)

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/wextcoaster_01/DSCF0144_zps092f1524.jpg (http://s200.photobucket.com/user/wextcoaster_01/media/DSCF0144_zps092f1524.jpg.html)

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/wextcoaster_01/DSC_1075_zpsd5d0dc25.jpg (http://s200.photobucket.com/user/wextcoaster_01/media/DSC_1075_zpsd5d0dc25.jpg.html)

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/wextcoaster_01/IMGP0024_zpsfc063127.jpg (http://s200.photobucket.com/user/wextcoaster_01/media/IMGP0024_zpsfc063127.jpg.html)

white moose
07-05-2014, 11:42 AM
How many other hunting parties have you seen up there say mid september? Looks like a beautiful spot. Must be a few fish in there as well

Friesen Hunter
07-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Has anyone pulled any nice G bears out of Kluachesi lake? Or had any close calls with Grizz in that area?

gunner01
07-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Lots of grizz in the area, we have been going there for the past 10 years. The flight is around 45 min depending on wheather. Also seen a lot more wolfs the past couple years. Great place! Good luck

Andrewh
07-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Has anyone pulled any nice G bears out of Kluachesi lake? Or had any close calls with Grizz in that area?

one guy was attacked two seasons ago at the lake...

.330 Dakota
07-07-2014, 10:06 AM
I have a buddy that hunts in there every year and says the Gbears are thick as thieves, and they see several on each trip. They have had many close calls with them.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-16-2015, 07:06 PM
Sounds like a great spot and a great hunt . .still would like more details . which MU is it ? what have you put in for draws . ? a fall grizzly draw ? weather in early fall ? I assume its a 6 point elk zone . what is the recomended lenght of stay ? i would love to throw in with someone to go on the hunt .

BgBlkDg
12-16-2015, 07:19 PM
One of the places I hope to go before I get too much older, had a total camp rigged for it, but, sold off several items due to wife's ill health.

Gotta buy another SO tipi, Ti stove and so on and find a solid partner; I am very experienced at solo living in very remote wilderness, months at a stretch, but, packing a quartered Elk alone is not going to happen at my age.

Lukeez88
12-16-2015, 07:52 PM
Did anyone fly into there this year? curious to hear how it was

12-16-2015, 08:32 PM
I think Marten Kaiserbun did but no one seen him since. ........ There's some old history for ya

Andrewh
12-17-2015, 09:23 AM
Saw 10 of these within the first 3 hrs of hiking from the lake in Aug a little while back...

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/Stone%20Sheep%202013/DSCN3346_zps54fa42e9.jpg

338Schulz
12-17-2015, 10:30 AM
Flew into Tuchodi with Urs in 88 for sheep and elk and he told us a story of a young lad getting killed by a griz when he went to look at an old kill site above Fern lake

338Schulz
12-17-2015, 10:39 AM
I would also make sure I know how many other parties get dropped next to you that's one thing most people don't think about when they book a trip of a lifetime had that experience with that outfit more than once

358mag
12-17-2015, 11:14 AM
I would also make sure I know how many other parties get dropped next to you that's one thing most people don't think about when they book a trip of a lifetime had that experience with that outfit more than once
Yes good point Urs have been know to "overload" more than a few lakes multiple party's .

12-17-2015, 12:14 PM
Flew into Tuchodi with Urs in 88 for sheep and elk and he told us a story of a young lad getting killed by a griz when he went to look at an old kill site above Fern lake

That would be 21 year old R . V . an avid excellent young Hunter ....... Missed by many, terrible experience for all involved , especially his Dad. Thoughts still with his family and many friends.

Lots of G bears around most them northern game rich areas. We found the same kind of death zone not far off the Tuchodi while Sheep hunting too....... Very creepy ambush area, skeletons of various wild game all through out the area, the creek bottom was littered with them ....... Gun ready for action at all times there.

CT

digger dogger
12-17-2015, 12:14 PM
Yes good point Urs have been know to "overload" more than a few lakes multiple party's .

Very true, 1st hand experience.
Was bullshitted by Urs, a couple years ago.

358mag
12-17-2015, 12:21 PM
Very true, 1st hand experience.
Was bullshitted by Urs, a couple years ago.
Its all about $$$ to him .
Will never spend another nickel with that squarehead .

Stew
12-17-2015, 02:14 PM
I agree, not another cent!

BgBlkDg
12-17-2015, 05:30 PM
Speaking as a double "Squarehead", Norwegian and German ancestry on my dad's side, I am most pizzed off that any "SQ": would behave in the manner posted above.

We bitch about GOs and yet these other characters behave like mutts, it is pretty damned disappointing, eh.......

358mag
12-17-2015, 05:43 PM
Speaking as a double "Squarehead", Norwegian and German ancestry on my dad's side, I am most pizzed off that any "SQ": would behave in the manner posted above.

We bitch about GOs and yet these other characters behave like mutts, it is pretty damned disappointing, eh.......
Yes I hear you. There's a lot of "Foreign $$$" in that operation . Having a million $ Turbo Otter on the dock , sure he's not making it flying hunters in for 3-4 months of the year .

markomoose
12-17-2015, 06:42 PM
Yes ,it's true!Urs does drop multiple parties at Kluechesi Lake.It's all about the money with him!I personally would find a more remote spot than Kluechesi.The last 3 years my buddy has been there they haven't had an easy time getting animals.They have had to bring their crossbows and compounds to increase their chances with 3 point bulls instead of 6 points with a rifle.

338Schulz
12-17-2015, 08:04 PM
He is actually Swiss but the Square part still fits lol found that out when I worked on his lodge in 95

338Schulz
12-17-2015, 09:43 PM
Thought we were smart and did that at a small lake surrounded by two glaciers that was barely big enough to land the beaver with two guys and only take off with one drop at kluachesi and come back for the second guy with a fuel surcharge of course (another rip off)
well Its seems funny reading all these posts about Liard Air I guess KARMA is a bitch after all those years.Anybody read about the fiery crash on the highway outside the lodge some years back with one fatality?

Elkchaser
12-17-2015, 10:15 PM
Have done a couple jet boat trips north of there on gatho, going back next fall - absolutely stunning, beautiful country and the boating is an adventure in itself! Just want to add to stuff said already from my experiences up there. The elk photo shown earlier on thread shows a common genetic variation - missing G2. If your rifle hunting 6 point, don't assume from top 3 points that bottom is 'normal'. Recommend bow hunting (with bear gun) - if in mid September, not hard to call bulls into bow range in mid slope forested terrain. Also seen big Gbears - hunting a ways from river where drier, atleast half of the water holes encountered in timber had Gbear kill sites in vicinity - spidey senses went off twice walking onto different water holes last trip and had real big bear thankfully run away on one ten minutes after feeling 'watched'. Hope you make it up there, pretty darn special.

Andrewh
12-18-2015, 09:15 AM
To Urs's defence, not a single other person was at the lake when I was there for two weeks. He dropped us off and we didn't hear a single plane for the next two weeks (other than Big9 doing passes looking for the record ram they took).

How can people get pissed with Urs for dropping people at a lake? As far as I know he is simply a transporter, if you can't figure out a lake that doesn't have the pressure then don't blame someone flying you for your mistake.

Pick a lake, tell him and he will fly you. He said I could change my lake up until the floats were off the lake. He told me how many people were scheduled to fly to that lake before I left and then told me that it can change if people changed there minds before the flights.

Didn't you guys all 'request/ask' to be dropped at Kluachesi????

Is he the cheapest?? - well that's a different story

hntcrazy
12-18-2015, 09:19 AM
He also has a 1.5 million dollar caravan now.
Kluachesi was a zoo this year ,. The islander dropped 2 loads of people .
Hear of 14 people in there ......
Good luck

boxhitch
12-18-2015, 09:43 AM
Andrewh , thats my take on it too. but it seems to be natural to blame someone else for problems especially when $$ are involved.
Besides , its easy to leave the crowds behind, its a big country.

decker9
12-18-2015, 12:39 PM
It's a business, of course he will drop people where they want to go, even on outfitters lakes, unlike a couple other charters. He pointed us to rams this year, we seen, but never closed the deal. Would happily fly with him again. Dropped off 1 guy at kluachesi on our flight out, gorgouse lookin area.

argyle1
12-18-2015, 04:40 PM
Urs did a good job of letting us know on which lakes we could expect to see a few or a lot of hunters, and which lakes he had already dumped people on. It is a business however, and if someone demands to get dumped on a busy lake, he prolly won't pass up the charter. Who would? He is in business same as the guides, and understands that residents have as much right there as the guides do. All in all I would recommend his service anytime.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-21-2015, 04:32 PM
Mixed Reviews . Always confusing .

Cordillera
12-23-2015, 11:00 PM
People have to be realistic about privacy when there are only a few lakes in the east slope to land a float plane on. It's not like dease lake country where there are lots of choices if the lake is already taken and you can go to another nearby. kluachesi has been crowded by most standards for a long time. That's part of the package.