PDA

View Full Version : Finding bones and keeping them?

VancouverSkiBum
06-30-2014, 04:18 AM
I was reading a while back about the legalities on finding sheds an/or skulls on here, cant find the thread... What do I need to know if I come across a nice set of antlers, or a nice skull, or some horns? What do I need to do before I take them?, if I can indeed take them. Cheers.

squamishhunter
06-30-2014, 06:59 AM
Grab 'em before someone else does!

Bighorn hunter
06-30-2014, 07:49 AM
Sheds are fine but will need a permit for sculls

REH94
06-30-2014, 03:38 PM
This question interests me too so I did a quick search; from the BC Wildlife Act: "Possession of wildlife 33 (2) A person commits an offence if the person has dead wildlife or a part of any wildlife in his or her possession except as authorized under a licence or permit or as provided by regulation."

So does anyone know what the specific licence/permit/regulation might be such that we could take a skull if we found a nice one??

pieter
06-30-2014, 04:27 PM
A canceled tag

BRvalley
06-30-2014, 04:34 PM
I have a very length reply from their office on this, apparently I'm way over the character length to post it here, has all the wildlife acts copy and pasted

anything over $200 based on their historical auction prices (discontinued) and you need a cancelled tag or a permit to possess it...which is basically anything worth keeping

if anybody wants a copy of the reply and the historical prices, pm your email and i'll forward

apparently they don't give out permits easily, ie sheep skulls...but you can appeal that decision to get a permit, talked to a CO about it but seems like a major time kill exercise...it would have to be really worth it I guess

I'd guess many people have stuff they've found over the $200 limit, hard thing to enforce it would seem

high and to the right
07-01-2014, 12:38 AM
The reason for rules against taking skulls or antlers out of the bush is to prevent Illegal kills. Hunter shoots an average sheep and on the way out sees a trophy animal. Shoots it, hides it, comes back in spring and says he found a skull... Or has a friend pick it up. That's why there is so much red tape. I didn't know about the $200 but that makes sense.

boxhitch
07-01-2014, 06:01 AM
Canada is still a monarchy , all resources and wild things and parts belong to the Crown . We , the commons , need permits to posses or hunt or fish .

Happy Canada Day

argyle1
07-01-2014, 06:37 AM
Canada is still a monarchy , all resources and wild things and parts belong to the Crown . We , the commons , need permits to posses or hunt or fish .

Happy Canada Day

so Boxhitch--you don't think you need a permit in the U.S. to hunt or fish--you could stand to do a little research

boxhitch
07-01-2014, 06:39 AM
Never said or implied

358mag
07-01-2014, 06:04 PM

Happy Canada Day
That is unless your First Nations and have the wonderful treaty card .....
and yes Happy 147th Birthday Canada