PDA

View Full Version : Kuiu Product Review

IslandmanDan
06-28-2014, 10:05 AM
Hi Guys,
I have been meaning to write up a review I had for the KUIU items I purchased last July.
I ordered:

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a603/IslandmanDan/20140628_092632_zps14392dd0.jpg

I have to admit I was so pumped on this product. I got it all in early August and wasn't leaving to hunt until end of September. So I waited to wear it all. September came and I finally got to use the gear.
I had to send a letter to Kuiu regarding issues I had with the product.
This is what I sent:

Jason Hairston My name is Dan Fraser. I am an avid hunter. I am from BC Canada. I wanted to explain to you the issues I had with Kuiu this past year. This is the first time that I have tried your 'light weight' hunting apparel. I ordered the Yukon jacket and pants in camo Verde. I also ordered a beanie, gaitors and the gloves with merino liner. I want to say that the rain weather performance is excellent. I also think the camo pattern is superb at concealment. I do however have to ask why is this product so noisy? By noisy, I mean every step is swoosh-swish...swoosh-swish. For hunting apparel that costs $650 for a jacket and pants... It could at least be quiet. Should be quiet. My hunting partner was 150yrds away and could hear me swoosh-swish as I walked! That really upsets me. I want to be quiet when I'm walking. I also found that the gaitors started to break on the very first day....the lace clip broke off one side and the button fell off the other side. Super disappointed. By the end of the hunt both lace clips and buttons had fallen off. So I wanted to let you know the problems I encountered with Kuiu. After seeing how mine has performed especially in the non-quiet department non of my hunting friends want to buy it. After I was bragging about it too. If there is anything you could do for the failure of the gaitors that would be hugely appreciated. Your mission statement says I can "trust" Kuiu to perform. I feel like this pair should have at least lasted a whole hunt. And not fallen apart on day one!
Kindest regards, Dan Fraser

The email I received from Kuiu went like this....

Dan,

Thanks for the email, I'm bummed to hear about your gaiters. What you experienced with their failure is not typical of our products. We found a while back that 30-40 pairs of Verde gaiters went out with faulty rivets. Most were recovered last Summer, but not all of them. A properly riveted lace hook should stay in place for years, which the vast majority do.

Please confirm your desired shipping address, and I can get a new set on their way to you free of charge. I will declare a $0 value so you won't need to pay duties.

As far as the raingear goes, noise is just teh nature of the beast when it comes to a true hardshell laminate. For a product to be waterproof, lightweight, and breathable, we must bond together a face fabric, membrane, and backer. The face fabric must be able to both bond to, and protect the membrane layer below it- which means it needs to be a strong, tightly weaved fabric. If there were a face fabric out there that was light weight, strong, and quiet, we would be using it... but there isn't. If you compare the noise level of our Yukon line to any other high-end 3-layer laminate on the market, you will find that it is well on the quiet side for hard shells in its class.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions or comments, and please get me your address for the new gaiters.

Thanks,

Todd Harney
Inventory, Warranty, & Pack Manager

KUIU Ultralight Hunting

toddh@kuiu.com
855-367-5848

I was excited to see they were going to replace the gaitors, but I had one other question that I never heard back from them regarding:

Hi Todd,

Thank you for your reply. I am glad to hear that the gaitors were a faulty rivet problem because that is exactly what the issue was. Thank you for replacing them.
I also wanted to know if maybe there was something faulty with the Yukon pant I have as well, the reason I ask is because while walking, a portion of the left buttock area of the pant, makes a "snap" like sound during a walk stride. Like there was some fabric memory that causes the fabric to be rigid at the end of a step I take. Only on the left butt side. If I am super conscience about it, I can change my stride and it is minimized, but not gone. Its hard to explain this textually, but maybe a video could make it easier. I could video the issue and show you what I am trying to explain.
Regards, Dan Fraser

I have not recieved the replacement gaitors yet, its only been 3 weeks. Hunting season is not on for a little while yet.

In summary, I like the Kuiu camo pattern, Verde.
I love the rain and breathable performance of the Yukon Series.
Didnt like the gaitors falling apart, hopefully I do see that replacement pair.
The Yukon is not quiet enough for walking, maybe on horseback, no problem, or constant long shot opportunities only.

Thanks for reading and hopefully you get better working items than I did. I might have just got a "lemon" when it came to the pants and gaitors, regardless the outer hard shell material is loud.
Happy hunting and hunting gear shopping, as we all get geared up for this fall!
IMD

The Dawg
06-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Good non-biased review

glad to see they are standing behind the gaitors.

BCHunterTV
06-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Dan i sent an email to Todd, ill see if we can resolve this asap

thank you

nature girl
06-29-2014, 03:27 PM
That sucks when you spend your hard earned $$ and the product is not what you expected it to be.

spear
06-29-2014, 03:59 PM
I had a minor issue with my ultra 600 pack, Todd sent me out a new one at no charge while I used the one i had for bear season. Great service from them, cant say I had the same service with Sitka when my mountain pants failed in the first month, my bivy 30 pack broke multiple clips on the FIRST DAY!

Sure Kuiu has a few issues with sizing and fit, but their CS is standing behind what they are building. My $.02

BCHunterTV
06-29-2014, 07:38 PM
totally agree ...Sitka has had many issues products and im hearing over and over how they wont most of the time solve them...not until you openly share your experience!

Just like any business there are going to be issues, its all about how they deal with you in the end.

I had a minor issue with my ultra 600 pack, Todd sent me out a new one at no charge while I used the one i had for bear season. Great service from them, cant say I had the same service with Sitka when my mountain pants failed in the first month, my bivy 30 pack broke multiple clips on the FIRST DAY!

Sure Kuiu has a few issues with sizing and fit, but their CS is standing behind what they are building. My $.02

kayjayess
06-29-2014, 08:39 PM
totally agree ...Sitka has had many issues products and im hearing over and over how they wont most of the time solve them...not until you openly share your experience!

Just like any business there are going to be issues, its all about how they deal with you in the end.

First let me declare that I am a Sitka guy and have been since the Harriston days. I have been impressed with Kuiu and have considered purchasing some of their gear.

However, I bought a new pair of Sitka Mountain Extreme pants last summer for my fall Dall sheep hunt in northern bc. They broke down albeit having pushed the thickest brush I have ever experience since I started hunting 27 years ago. I contacted Sitka and had a reply with in hours of emailing. They promptly committed to and and sent a new pair of pants and all done with the maximum amount of communication on their part. This is the first time I had a warranty related issue with them and their customer service was second to none. I am still committed to Sitka and feel that they do make a great product.

yama49
06-29-2014, 09:01 PM
Hopefully they look after you.. Yukon gear is the best rain gear i have owned, wore it everyday on our horseback trip, never got wet once.. I agree its not the quietest but i didnt think it was that loud..

IslandmanDan
06-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Hopefully they look after you.. Yukon gear is the best rain gear i have owned, wore it everyday on our horseback trip, never got wet once.. I agree its not the quietest but i didnt think it was that loud..

I just think if you are walking then they are loud, especially if the pants rub during steps. On a horseback I could see no issues. Just what I experienced. Great performance as I mentioned.....Superb in fact!

06-30-2014, 02:06 PM
First let me declare that I am a Sitka guy and have been since the Harriston days. I have been impressed with Kuiu and have considered purchasing some of their gear.

However, I bought a new pair of Sitka Mountain Extreme pants last summer for my fall Dall sheep hunt in northern bc. They broke down albeit having pushed the thickest brush I have ever experience since I started hunting 27 years ago. I contacted Sitka and had a reply with in hours of emailing. They promptly committed to and and sent a new pair of pants and all done with the maximum amount of communication on their part. This is the first time I had a warranty related issue with them and their customer service was second to none. I am still committed to Sitka and feel that they do make a great product.

That's been my experience. Excellent customer service

Superdeuce
06-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Sucks about the gaiters, so hopefully they look after you as promised. I agree with Jason on the Yukon though... it's a hardshell so gonna crinkle and swoosh. Might break in somewhat with more use.

IslandmanDan
06-30-2014, 10:16 PM
I want to give you all an update, I received an email from Todd at Kuiu today and the Gaitors are finally on their way and they are gonna send the new Yukon pant along with them and see if its better than what I currently have, (which I assume it would be). I just think a panel was cut too short or something on the left side. And then I can exchange them and they will let the development team see what the problem was.

Stoked, Thank you BC Hunter TV, I think you got the issue resolved about as soon as absolutely possible. My faith in Kuiu is restored. I know they have some of the best product available and the YUKON gear is the best in the rain. Which we get a little of on the island......
Thanks again BC Hunter TV! And Kuiu.

BCHunterTV
06-30-2014, 10:19 PM
Im happy i could help,

Danny Smith
www.nolimitsTV.ca

I want to give you all an update, I received an email from Todd at Kuiu today and the Gaitors are finally on their way and they are gonna send the new Yukon pant along with them and see if its better than what I currently have, (which I assume it would be). I just think a panel was cut too short or something on the left side. And then I can exchange them and they will let the development team see what the problem was.

Stoked, Thank you BC Hunter TV, I think you got the issue resolved about as soon as absolutely possible. My faith in Kuiu is restored. I know they have some of the best product available and the YUKON gear is the best in the rain. Which we get a little of on the island......
Thanks again BC Hunter TV! And Kuiu.

JLsteel
06-30-2014, 10:50 PM
I had issues with my Kuiu gaitors last year. I rubbed a hole into them while walking. I sent them a picture and they sent me a new pair within a few weeks free of charge and zero duty. They let me keep the old one too.

seatoskymiles
07-01-2014, 06:30 AM
just got the Yukon pants, little noise to them but to be expected on a pant like this, they will keep me dry on the west coast thats what really matters and also got the ultra 3000 pack, so light and comfortable, will go for a hike with it loaded and let you know how it really is

IslandmanDan
07-03-2014, 11:56 PM
Right on! Cant wait to hear how the pack is feeling for ya. We def need dry gear on the wet, west coast!

just got the Yukon pants, little noise to them but to be expected on a pant like this, they will keep me dry on the west coast thats what really matters and also got the ultra 3000 pack, so light and comfortable, will go for a hike with it loaded and let you know how it really is

HCH
07-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Kuiu stands behind their product. I have had great service with them so far.