PDA

View Full Version : bull River Bighorn

Grolar
06-26-2014, 04:16 PM
Does anybody know the history of rams taking out of 4-21 bull river area ....as this year I got invited to do a hunt down there

rocksteady
06-26-2014, 04:37 PM
Maybe 2 or 3 per year. Loads of sheep Hunters. No kidding..

Grolar
06-26-2014, 04:52 PM
The mountains we were thinking of going are mt fisher ,the steeples, lizard peak, and three sister

J_T
06-26-2014, 06:05 PM
The mountains we were thinking of going are mt fisher ,the steeples, lizard peak, and three sister Good luck. Bring rope and good boots.

Grolar
06-26-2014, 08:24 PM
Oh boy....is it that steep.....I heard 4-21 bull river is where they guide for sheep from grand slam outfitters , correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure thats where they go

180grainer
06-26-2014, 08:52 PM
Sheep can be in steep terrain, but unless your goat hunting you can leave the rope at home.

E.V.B.H.
06-26-2014, 09:20 PM
That's about right only a couple a year, but leave your hiking boots and bring your running shoes, with the guides and locals watching them all year it's a race when the season opens. At least couple of the mtns you mentioned don't even have sheep from what I know. It will still be a fun hunt but be prepared for a lot of pressure. Enjoy being in an awesome area and a sheep would just be a bonus. Lots of bears, elk, deer and maybe a two or under moose as well.

Grolar
06-26-2014, 09:26 PM
Sheep can be in steep terrain, but unless your goat hunting you can leave the rope at home.
Oh I find that opposite the only time I have use rope is for goats in mcbride and the island but these moutains will be the third time I will climb them so I hope it goes good ......I have hunted alot of stone in the skeena region and a little bighorn around lillooet but kootenays bighorn are new to me and they are one of the most challenging hunts I have encountered but with a little help from my friends I hope I will be successful this season....I have hunted the lower part for elk so it shouldn't be that bad

Grolar
06-26-2014, 09:30 PM
That's about right only a couple a year, but leave your hiking boots and bring your running shoes, with the guides and locals watching them all year it's a race when the season opens. At least couple of the mtns you mentioned don't even have sheep from what I know. It will still be a fun hunt but be prepared for a lot of pressure. Enjoy being in an awesome area and a sheep would just be a bonus. Lots of bears, elk, deer and maybe a two or under moose as well.
What mountains are u talking about that doesn't have sheep

riflebuilder
06-27-2014, 04:48 AM
I live right there a lot of pressure and few legal rams. You can also try a few other spots near there. great place beautiful scenery and good numbers of Elk

kootenaycarver
06-27-2014, 05:03 AM
Never heard of sheep on the Three Sisters . Lots of hikers up and down the trail to the summit.

GoatGuy
06-27-2014, 08:24 AM
Die-off a couple years ago had quite an effect on populations in that area.

Would try north end of elk valley. Sheep seemed to have fared much better during the die-off, and good trails. Quarrie creek, Fording etc.

bighornbob
06-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Unless your friends are local die hard sheep hunters, you will really have your hands tied on this one. The locals are keeping tabs on them year round. So although you have heard of where they may be etc. The locals will know what drainage etc. Or they will push them out of their regular spots (on purpose or by accident) because they have seen them in numerous spots during the season. When you watch them form June to November year after year you pick up on their seasonal movements so you try to guess where they are going to be with the weather and hunter pressure moving them around. Lets face it even for guys that live there the odds are only about 5% harvest rates. I will let you do the math.

Regardess of odds and chances, like other have said beautiful country with lots of other game. Go enjoy it and just maybe you will see a bighorn.

BHB

Mikey Rafiki
06-27-2014, 09:18 AM
No sheep up 3 sisters. Have to get to the Steeples from Elko to Wildhorse. Some of those areas have some very nice mule deer too so keep an eye open.

Grolar
06-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Die-off a couple years ago had quite an effect on populations in that area.

Would try north end of elk valley. Sheep seemed to have fared much better during the die-off, and good trails. Quarrie creek, Fording etc. so like mt hadiken, mt peak, mt Phillips, bull peak, and mt folk areas has more population of bighorn then

Vader
06-27-2014, 03:28 PM
Even if you've patterned them, so have many others.. Best be in the best shape of your life to be there first. Otherwise if your second you might well have stayed in bed.

J_T
06-27-2014, 03:41 PM
Sheep can be in steep terrain, but unless your goat hunting you can leave the rope at home.Not if you think you're hunting sheep on Mt Fischer or some of the Steeples Range. I've been there. Better to be safe. A slight skiff of snow or frozen rain on some of those slopes and your confidence of footing is gone.

Grolar
06-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Not if you think you're hunting sheep on Mt Fischer or some of the Steeples Range. I've been there. Better to be safe. A slight skiff of snow or frozen rain on some of those slopes and your confidence of footing is gone. I guess your right ....50 feet of rope should do the trick, is there any other climbing equipment beside pic axe to invest to

Hodaka
06-27-2014, 05:35 PM
I guess your right ....50 feet of rope should do the trick, is there any other climbing equipment beside pic axe to invest to
I would invest in a trip to the area pre-season to scout it out. The terrain you are talking about is no joke - listen to J_T.
On the other hand, we almost drove right into a heard out there last fall at lower elevation...

Grolar
06-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Then which moutain is harder mt fisher or steeples range just wondering

E.V.B.H.
06-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Fisher peak is in the centre of the steeple range. Fisher sees a lot of hikers going to the peak, it's all steep and very thick for the first half. Think more west of that range

GoatGuy
07-01-2014, 10:12 AM
so like mt hadiken, mt peak, mt Phillips, bull peak, and mt folk areas has more population of bighorn then

Elk valley herd is the only one that is increasing. Current population estimate is 850+ in the elk valley, which makes up over 1/3 of the EK bh population. You want increasing populations as a hard winter results in high lamb loss, which drives recruitment down resulting in far fewer legal rams 4-6 years down the road. Holding everything constant, the first two years of a ram lamb's life are what's critical to horn growth. If you have a tough winter in there you kill the lambs and also have much higher than normal mortality in class IIV and IV rams.

connors lake is a good landmark starting point. The east side of the valley is good as well.

A spot you might find a picture or two of the country:

http://www.fontanabighorn.com/evbogallery.html

GoatGuy
07-01-2014, 10:23 AM
To be very, very clear the two areas which appear to be doing the best are elk valley, and the flathead. The east side really didn't have the snowfall the rest of the EK did. Since the regulation change in Alberta a few years back, the flathead has been producing far more legal rams than it historically did and on a consistent basis.

Most everything else suffered losses in winter 2011. Even if they weren't big losses overall hunters can expect to see the effect, because they are only pursuing a very small % of the population which can be heavily effected by winter mortality. A few of the small pockets of high elevation wintering sheep we used to pursue appear to have disappeared all together.

E.V.B.H.
07-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Fisher peak is in the centre of the steeple range. Fisher sees a lot of hikers going to the peak, it's all steep and very thick for the first half. Think more west of that range

Just reread, meant east not west.

GoatGuy
07-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Here's a copy of the trench report:

http://www.ferniergc.com/documents/Status%20of%20Trench%20bighorn%20sheep%202012.pdf

limit time
07-02-2014, 03:17 PM
No way! This has to be propaganda...you tellin me hunters aren't the problem? ;)

Husky7mm
07-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Oh I find that opposite the only time I have use rope is for goats in mcbride and the island but these moutains will be the third time I will climb them so I hope it goes good ......I have hunted alot of stone in the skeena region and a little bighorn around lillooet but kootenays bighorn are new to me and they are one of the most challenging hunts I have encountered but with a little help from my friends I hope I will be successful this season....I have hunted the lower part for elk so it shouldn't be that bad
dont forget to bring your 270.....

Grolar
07-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Naa man 300win mag is where it's at with 168g accubond.....better watch out sheep cause I'm coming

Husky7mm
07-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Don't forget your rubber boots and Velcro gloves , those sheep ARE in trouble !!!

Grolar
07-04-2014, 11:23 AM
When you said that the only place that is increasing with sheep is elk valley ...is there conservation groups that help locate sheep into news areas and help them build the population for sheep in the kootenays because this is one place I don't want it go to hell and have bad hunting for ever because know one is looking after the sheep....is there any groups I can join to help the sheep and take apart in something that we all should do as hunters to make it a great place for us and our new hunters

Stone Sheep Steve
07-04-2014, 12:06 PM
http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

When you said that the only place that is increasing with sheep is elk valley ...is there conservation groups that help locate sheep into news areas and help them build the population for sheep in the kootenays because this is one place I don't want it go to hell and have bad hunting for ever because know one is looking after the sheep....is there any groups I can join to help the sheep and take apart in something that we all should do as hunters to make it a great place for us and our new hunters

Grolar
07-06-2014, 04:32 PM
is the flathead valley area southeast of fernie

GoatGuy
07-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Yep, butts up to the Alberta border.

Grolar
07-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Then I will have to be careful hunting then and know my mountains ranges and maps then.... Im planning a 5 day trip to do some scouting and observing the areas where im thinkin of going and doing a lil bit shopping too need a lot of new gear this year......if anyone has anything to add on about this thread please do I want this thread to also help other new hunters as well, feel free to pm about locations and ram history (not asking for honey holes)