PDA

View Full Version : elk calling early season

Grolar
06-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Im new to the art of elk calling ....I usually spot and stalk elk in the late season and I want to get in early season calling for archery season in the kootanenys .....whats calls will work best and what brands to pick from.....any advice will help

.300WSMImpact!
06-24-2014, 09:39 PM
early season I just cow call a bit, mouth reed, early season spot and stalk is a good option

Grolar
06-24-2014, 10:23 PM
Would elk respond to bugles and challenge other bulls in the early season or is that more in the late September

.300WSMImpact!
06-25-2014, 08:33 AM
I have had very little luck with that in early september, I have heard elk bugle in early september but I have not had any luck until later in the month with responses, not saying you cannot I am sure there is a sequence that may work I just have not figured it out

J_T
06-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Would elk respond to bugles and challenge other bulls in the early season or is that more in the late September
I'm very aggressive with my calls. Some days by noon (when it's over) I can't talk we've had so much bugling action. I might change up my calls if one isn't getting the response I'm looking for. Being aggressive doesn't mean, scaring off the other bulls. It's about matching them for tone and style, and helping them get worked up, raking, stomping....

Mikey Rafiki
06-25-2014, 10:18 AM
Mostly cow calls and some light bugling. I'm not trying to sound like a big bull in archery season because I'm willing to bag any decent sized bull that comes in. Don't expect them to respond so be prepared if they sneak up on you. Two of my last 3 elk came in silent.

markt308
06-25-2014, 10:30 AM
You never know early season. You might have no luck with the first nine bulls, then all of a sudden that tenth bull wants to chat like crazy and comes right in! Mostly mouth Reed cow calls for me

Grolar
06-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Mostly cow calls and some light bugling. I'm not trying to sound like a big bull in archery season because I'm willing to bag any decent sized bull that comes in. Don't expect them to respond so be prepared if they sneak up on you. Two of my last 3 elk came in silent.
Thats why I want to get a bull for filling up my freezer .....I know the regs are any bull but I wont shoot one any smaller then a 3 point

GoatGuy
06-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Figure out why/when bull elk bugle, then you'll know how to call bull elk in.

Bugle M In
06-25-2014, 12:31 PM
matching another bull, but try not to seem larger then him is my approach.
at the same time, throwing in cow calls to make it seem like I have a harem of cows is obvious as well.

My only question ...to myself is...
I would like to figure out what sounds a bull makes to is harem (for real ), while he is being challenged by another bull in the distance.
If I could figure this out, I imagine I would seem even more convincing.....in my opinion.
I have success, so I get something right for sure.....but...I cant say I have figured out some of those tones as mentioned above....
but "that" knowledge would be great to have in the arsenal for sure.

GoatGuy
06-25-2014, 12:42 PM
If you have a bull with a harem respond, stop calling, get the wind in your face, run in his direction as fast as you can, once you get 'in the zone' lit 'er rip. The zone is as close as possible without being spotted. So long as you're close enough they will come running. Sometimes you have to chase them for a few kms.

The biggest mistakes hunters make is calling to a bull that responds yet gets farther and farther away. All the hunter is doing is telling that bull to get his cows and move them out. Don't worry about breaking branches when running in - elk make a pile of noise. Your scent/talking are the only things that will really give you away.

So far as the 'big bull sound' goes. If a person watches a pile of elk bugle you'll find, just like people, there are guys who are big that sound like a kid, and runts that grunt, growl and moan. Not convinced on this whole listening to 5 bulls and deciding "this one has the lowest voice so he must be biggest".

06-25-2014, 01:05 PM
If you have a bull with a harem respond, stop calling, get the wind in your face, run in his direction as fast as you can, once you get 'in the zone' lit 'er rip. The zone is as close as possible without being spotted. So long as you're close enough they will come running. Sometimes you have to chase them for a few kms.

The biggest mistakes hunters make is calling to a bull that responds yet gets farther and farther away. All the hunter is doing is telling that bull to get his cows and move them out. Don't worry about breaking branches when running in - elk make a pile of noise. Your scent/talking are the only things that will really give you away.

So far as the 'big bull sound' goes. If a person watches a pile of elk bugle you'll find, just like people, there are guys who are big that sound like a kid, and runts that grunt, growl and moan. Not convinced on this whole listening to 5 bulls and deciding "this one has the lowest voice so he must be biggest".

I agree. Usually a deep, throaty bugle will indicate a larger bull, but some big bulls have a wimpy high-pitched bugle. My partner and I had a bull with a squeaky little bugle responding a couple of years ago. We pursued it, and my partner ended-up shooting his biggest bull ever - a 347 inch 7x7. We called him the Mike Tyson bull.

J_T
06-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Thats why I want to get a bull for filling up my freezer .....I know the regs are any bull but I wont shoot one any smaller then a 3 point If you're new, set your sites as follows: the first legal animal that presents a high percentage shot. FYI spikes are about the best eating. What if I told you there aren't many 3 points out there? Good feed and we've got lots of 5 and 6 point 2 year olds.

J_T
06-25-2014, 02:05 PM

Yup, my rule of thumb, if a bull answers, cut the distance in half as fast as I can before I bugle again. And keep doing that. Be very tuned in, to pushing him away.

Bugle M In
06-25-2014, 03:03 PM
careful when you do get in the Zone.....you may get run over!.......well damn near!
sure glad they hit the brakes on 2 occasions.......full tilt and then power slide to within 5 ft when they come in just over a hump....
you'll be surprised how close u can get....and forget all thought of counting points momentarily!!:mrgreen:
and they can turn and be gone in a blink!
Elk hunting.....a big rush for sure!

Grolar
06-25-2014, 03:24 PM
If you're new, set your sites as follows: the first legal animal that presents a high percentage shot. FYI spikes are about the best eating. What if I told you there aren't many 3 points out there? Good feed and we've got lots of 5 and 6 point 2 year olds.
True but not true.....I had a 7/8 year old bull in late October and it tasted good

hunter1947
06-26-2014, 06:36 AM
I like cow calling early season reason being is the bull are looking for cows late Aug early Sept I have found out over the years hunting elk that the bulls come in silent early season no bugling from many that I called in early bow season rifle..

BRvalley
06-27-2014, 08:40 AM
careful when you do get in the Zone.....you may get run over!.......well damn near!
sure glad they hit the brakes on 2 occasions.......full tilt and then power slide to within 5 ft when they come in just over a hump....
you'll be surprised how close u can get....and forget all thought of counting points momentarily!!:mrgreen:
and they can turn and be gone in a blink!
Elk hunting.....a big rush for sure!

this describes perfectly my first time calling...no clue how many points he had, came flying into us, no time to react, no chance of counting points (no doubt a 7x7 eh), my first 5 mins using a call...I carry a hoochi mama and a cow girl

I've had few responses with my bugle, from legit bulls anyways, but they work amazing for calling in other hunters

Hunter lady
06-27-2014, 09:03 PM
I've heard them making a lot of racket in the first week of Sept in Jasper. I've been getting a lot of tips from watching the videos of elk on You tube. Great stuff.