PDA

View Full Version : Radio Communication on Open Water

Mooseslayer77
06-24-2014, 12:05 PM
With safety in mind we are looking for some insight into the best method of communication for a couple of boats that are heading out fishing together. We would like to be able to stay in contact with each other in the event that we end up fishing different areas.

What would be the best option out there?

Marine radio? Are there open channels on a marine radio that allow you to talk freely?

Do these radios work off of towers?

Thanks
MS

MB_Boy
06-24-2014, 12:13 PM
When you say "open water" are you talking the ocean or freshwater?

If no cell coverage a handheld marine VHF. Yes there are lots of open channels and what channels are used varies around the coast. I would also highly recommend taking an operators course too. Lots of places offer them and are generally a 1 day course..it doesn't say where you're located so that you would have to determine.

I got got a great deal on a Standard Horizon HX851 which is waterproof, floats and a number of emergency type features etc for my ditch kit or I keep if we're off the boat exploring somewhere remote.

Depending on where you are located there are lots of shopping options but also search online. The HX851 is an awesome unit, mine is a couple of years old so there may be a newer model but highly recommend. Lots of places were selling it for $350-$400 dollars and I shopped locally in Vancouver and found mine for just over $200. Found similar prices online but would have had to pay shipping and was happy to support a local guy.

This link may also answer some questions for you. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_VHF_radio

weiss
06-24-2014, 12:29 PM
If you want to operate on marine radio frequencies then just stay off of channel 16, and also monitor what channels are not busy. Check this out

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/en/sf01011e.html

there are frequencies and channels which you can use. Of course you have to use restricted radio operator guidelines, just like with any other professional channes, this isn't CB, can't swear, can't munch the rag, have to identify yourself etc, the usual stuff.

Or you can use CB frequencies if yo want. Or, get your ham licence and get a proper 2m band FM transciever. Or, you can use FRS frequencies, though RFS is highly restricted in what you can use and power output. So, I think marine radio is the way to go, at least you will be able to call for help and help will come. Channel 16 is continuosly monitored by CG stations. Marine channels are all station-to-station, there are no repeaters AFAIK

MB_Boy
06-24-2014, 01:30 PM
Good points by Weiss.

Lots of people do yammer away on various channels and if on CH16 CG will tell you to get off. Some people will hail on 16 and say "go to ch___". In Vancouver and other ports there will be commercial channels you are to stay off.

When in Kyuquot for example we usually stick to 8 I think it is. Guides in Vancouver use (or used to) 88A and as you'll see in the info Weiss alluded to in his link 68 is the ideal for pleasure craft.

Dannybuoy
06-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Marine radio , like others have said 16 is emergency channel . Most lakes that I frequent 68 is the fishing channel . ie kootenay , Okanagan etc .