PDA

View Full Version : SHeep Hunt and High Angle Shooting

Ltbullken
06-24-2014, 10:19 AM
I have a sheep hunt coming up this summer. I've got my 7RM and the Leupold CDS scope nicely dialed in for long range but I am curious about how others have dealth with shooting at high angle. I have angle compensation on my range finder but the MOA numbers differ from what the JBM ballistics program tells me. My range finder works off of ballistic groupings as opposed to specific ballistic data so that probably explains the variance. It does show angle though so I can use that info from the range finder. It also displays straight line distance, not compensated distance. I could print a number of data sheets at different angles (say every 10 degrees) and insert them in my 'wrist office'. That process maybe as about as exact as using my current range finder. I have looked as well at the Vortex Ranger 1000 field data card that shows MOA compensation for different angles of shot. It looks real quick and handy though I would have to look at straight line distance, then the straight line MOA compensation and then the data card. I think most shots in sheep hunting will be deliberate, time to set up, etc., and not snap shots. How do others deal with this situation (without buying the premium range finder does everything but skin the sheep model)? Thanks in advance.

Ry151
06-24-2014, 10:42 AM
I would never try a shot on an animal I haven't consistently done before. Find a place that you can shoot extreme angles and confirm your charts. To miss on a trophy animal after all the costs and work would be devastating to me. I Have a few buddies that missed and the sheep disappears, they can't stop thinking about what they could have done different and every time I hear the story the sheep gets bigger and bigger. Lol. I have leupold 800tbr they are good to about 4-500yrds on sheep but if you have rock near the animal to range they will work out to the 7-800 yard mark which works just fine for me because 500yds is beyond my ability on a sheep size animal (moose maybe). The tbr is good, it compensates the angle for true horizontal distance. I paid $375 from bass pro so it doesn't break the bank on that model. But if I had the cash the g7 br2 would be what packed.

Ricky Bobby
06-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Nothing compares with a good arm chair shooter armed with the best electronically created ballistics sheet, best of luck throwing Hail Mary shots.

BiG Boar
06-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Don't set your rangefinder on the hold over mode. Set it up so it just tells you the horizontal distance. (That is the distance with the angle taken into effect). Then using a real balistics calculator, print off 200,300,400,and 500 drops amounts in inches. Then write those 8 numbers on a paper and tape to your butt stock. Then its just hitting the range finder, if it says 400 with the angle taken into effect, use the amount of inches needed on the paper.

Also, if you haven't actually shot the distances, don't trust your MOA dial to make the shot. Who actually knows how your bullets group at 700 yards? Only way to know is to have shot it in advance. Give the sheep the respect it deserves before you just start flinging math and hope towards it.

358mag
06-24-2014, 12:54 PM
Nothing compares with a good arm chair shooter armed with the best electronically created ballistics sheet, best of luck throwing Hail Mary shots.

Think the new term is called " Dial a pray"

Ltbullken
06-24-2014, 01:39 PM

Wouldn't consider a 500 yd shot a hail mary myself. That's as far as I'd go. Ideally closer.

Ltbullken
06-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Don't set your rangefinder on the hold over mode. Set it up so it just tells you the horizontal distance. (That is the distance with the angle taken into effect). Then using a real balistics calculator, print off 200,300,400,and 500 drops amounts in inches. Then write those 8 numbers on a paper and tape to your butt stock. Then its just hitting the range finder, if it says 400 with the angle taken into effect, use the amount of inches needed on the paper.

Also, if you haven't actually shot the distances, don't trust your MOA dial to make the shot. Who actually knows how your bullets group at 700 yards? Only way to know is to have shot it in advance. Give the sheep the respect it deserves before you just start flinging math and hope towards it.

I've already set my mark at 500, nothing beyond that. Right now, my set up is good for that and I can consistently hit an 8" circle at that range. I agree that doing some high angle shooting somewhere to compare against what my ballsitic data predicts is the right move.

But I am still curious as to what experienced mountain hunters have done/are doing about high angle.

Ltbullken
06-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Think the new term is called " Dial a pray"

Dial a pray? Is that a new range finder?

bighornbob
06-24-2014, 03:57 PM
But I am still curious as to what experienced mountain hunters have done/are doing about high angle.

You get closer. If you need a 500 yard shot at a steep angle, I would bet the animal has no clue you are there. I always try to get closer or wait for the animal to move.

BHB

358mag
06-24-2014, 04:16 PM
Dial a pray? Is that a new range finder?

It is if you watch any Long Range Pursuit on Wild TV , but they never miss right ......and everything drops in its tracks .....

325 wsm
06-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Have had several sheep hunters miss (low) the first shot by putting that angle suff into there calculations. Hold for the true distance between you and the sheep unless the angle is EXTREMELY (60 degrees or more)steep.

emerson
06-24-2014, 05:55 PM
Have had several sheep hunters miss (low) the first shot by putting that angle suff into there calculations. Hold for the true distance between you and the sheep unless the angle is EXTREMELY (60 degrees or more)steep.

This is basically correct. Read Bryan Litz's book Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting. It answers this and many other shooting questions in a way that is simple to use for the field. Quote p.51 "A bullet will drop less from an uphill and downhill shot compared to a level shot. This is due to the reduction effective reduction in gravity that pulls directly down from the line of sight."
Donation Receipt

emerson
06-24-2014, 06:00 PM
I prefer scopes with angular adjustments (MOA or Mills) vs. ones matched to a particular dial, because they make it easier to adjust for any condition. Even at 500, wind can be a major issue.

Ltbullken
06-24-2014, 07:29 PM
I prefer scopes with angular adjustments (MOA or Mills) vs. ones matched to a particular dial, because they make it easier to adjust for any condition. Even at 500, wind can be a major issue.

The Leupold CDS has an adjustable turret for elevation but not windage. The turret adjustments have been almost dead on out to 500 M, using my ballistic data. I'm relying on mirage to judge 5-10-15 mph windage and 'guestimating' based on my knowledge of the ballistic charts (and the standard army shooting manual! :-P) and it's been close enough for hunting. I think the drill for high angle is going to be get as close as possible and have a gut check on whether to shot is doable/ethical.

Ltbullken
06-24-2014, 07:41 PM
It is if you watch any Long Range Pursuit on Wild TV , but they never miss right ......and everything drops in its tracks .....

A good man always knows his limitations.

Gateholio
06-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Heh....Extreme angle on sheep? I don't want to talk about it......

:)

yama49
06-24-2014, 10:08 PM
With no wind moa hashmarks, how do you adjust for the wind? I use a angle indicator, add into ballistic calculator. I like moa better then turrets, JMO

boxhitch
06-24-2014, 11:04 PM
You get closer.
BHB That is the best case for sure. First off, to properly id your target.
Then know your ballistics , know your range and know your angle , then you will know how seldom any compensation for angle has to be considered. People over-estimated angle more often than they over-estimate range , which is lots.
30 deg is steep , but it is not 45 and it is not extreme.
A basic inclinometer is built-in many compasses , surprise surprise there is an App for that too.

Ltbullken
06-25-2014, 09:17 AM

First time for everything ... :twisted:

Ltbullken
06-25-2014, 09:18 AM
With no wind moa hashmarks, how do you adjust for the wind? I use a angle indicator, add into ballistic calculator. I like moa better then turrets, JMO

I know the MOA of the reticle but also factor in what the data chart says -- so many inches drift, etc. Lots of practice...

Andrewh
06-25-2014, 09:34 AM
For what it is worth, your hand works as a decent angle finder. Your arm extended straight out with fingers horizontal to ground and palm facing your face represents about 5* from horizontal. So basically if your target is 5 hand spacings up from level then it is 25*.

BCBRAD
06-25-2014, 10:08 AM
Study ballistic program for your bullet and velocity, this will give you a sense of what your doing at various inclines and distances ( its really a narrow band that you should be concerned with , say 300 to 500yds). Generally though, if it is up or down aim low , but on hair.

Ltbullken
06-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Study ballistic program for your bullet and velocity, this will give you a sense of what your doing at various inclines and distances ( its really a narrow band that you should be concerned with , say 300 to 500yds). Generally though, if it is up or down aim low , but on hair.

Right... aim for the hair...

Gilmore
06-25-2014, 12:46 PM

Oh my God what happened???