PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work as, or know a CO?

WestCoastHunter
06-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Hey everyone, I am interested in pursuing a career as a CO and was curious as to if there is one or a couple on this site I could speak with, or anybody who knows one personally and would be able to help me out. I just have some questions on how to get there and what it is like.

Thanks a ton!

r106
06-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Steve W on this site is a recently retired CO. Try sending him a PM

WestCoastHunter
06-23-2014, 08:51 PM
Steve W on this site is a recently retired CO. Try sending him a PM

Will do! Thanks R106

Fisher-Dude
06-23-2014, 08:52 PM
Good info here: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/enfhome/coco.html

Wishing you well in your career choice!

WestCoastHunter
06-23-2014, 08:57 PM
Good info here: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/enfhome/coco.html

Wishing you well in your career choice!

Yes I have been on their site, lots of good info however there are some questions I need to ask personally that aren't on the website. Thanks a lot!

shortrange
06-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Hey everyone, I am interested in pursuing a career as a CO and was curious as to if there is one or a couple on this site I could speak with, or anybody who knows one personally and would be able to help me out. I just have some questions on how to get there and what it is like.

Thanks a ton!

Try Dylan at eatwildDOTca. He is a CORE instructor and CO. Super nice guy.

Swamp mule
06-23-2014, 11:57 PM
There are two schools that do such training. Vancouver Island university (AKA Malaspina College) in Naniamo, has a program and you will have to contact them to see what their entrance requirements are. You may also have to conduct a entrance exam (Not sure if it is still required). The other is located in Lethbridge, AB. I have hear good things coming from this school and most that I have talked too have come from there. It is a good school as I have visited it in '09. Also, if you are gonna get school loans. it is best that you apply to both and should you get declined from VIU and accepted out of province then you can use that deny from VIU to your benefit and you should be able to get a provincial grant (if they still give them out). That best is contact several COs that have just come out of school and where they went and how they got in. Get the tips.

Wentrot
06-24-2014, 06:53 AM
I know a guy who went to Malaspina and had nothing but great things to say about it, he got in to some sort of program after graduation and then became a CO. I haven't spoke with him in about a year so cannot provide anymore than that.

Steve W
06-24-2014, 06:58 AM

Thanks a ton!

Reply sent to your PM.

Steve

WestCoastHunter
06-24-2014, 06:06 PM
There are two schools that do such training. Vancouver Island university (AKA Malaspina College) in Naniamo, has a program and you will have to contact them to see what their entrance requirements are. You may also have to conduct a entrance exam (Not sure if it is still required). The other is located in Lethbridge, AB. I have hear good things coming from this school and most that I have talked too have come from there. It is a good school as I have visited it in '09. Also, if you are gonna get school loans. it is best that you apply to both and should you get declined from VIU and accepted out of province then you can use that deny from VIU to your benefit and you should be able to get a provincial grant (if they still give them out). That best is contact several COs that have just come out of school and where they went and how they got in. Get the tips.

I have heard good things about Lethbridge and am looking into it. Will have a chat with Steve!

bandit
06-25-2014, 07:18 PM
First off there are COs on this site but they would never admit it!

I duck hunted a few times with a CO but he got moved to the interior. He said despite what the website says about being open to people with different backgrounds, the only way in is to get a degree from VIU. And they don't hire anyone without experience so be prepared to spend 2 or 3 years as a park ranger before you can get a co job.

f350ps
06-25-2014, 07:33 PM
First off there are COs on this site but they would never admit it!

I duck hunted a few times with a CO but he got moved to the interior. He said despite what the website says about being open to people with different backgrounds, the only way in is to get a degree from VIU. And they don't hire anyone without experience so be prepared to spend 2 or 3 years as a park ranger before you can get a co job.
I think you're wrong on the admission part, they've been more than forthright on here!!! My guess is they've PM'd the OP already as it's a lot easier than having to deal with the know it alls! K

hoochie
06-25-2014, 08:43 PM
cant remember the site, but there was a list of projected hiring requirements for the next few years. It looked like they weren't hiring anyone, and chances of landing a job were pretty slim. At the time, I think it said "0" positions needed to be filled over the next 5 or 7 years.

VancouverSkiBum
06-25-2014, 09:18 PM
I am also considering this as a career, was thinking of doing 2 years in fish,wildlife, and recreation at BCIT, then possibly 2 years in lethbridge, or a few years as a ranger or something. If anyone wants to PM me about what kind of hurdles or challenges I may face, would be appreciated! Cheers.

Steve W
06-27-2014, 05:45 PM
Don't know why people think COs hide on this site. Just don't want to do work stuff on their time off. Some post as you're average Joe hunter too. I've never hidden the fact that I was a CO. Pretty damn proud of it actually.

Here's some info for anyone looking at is as a career:

CO positions are filled fairly soon as they are vacated. Usually in-service officers get a chance to transfer or promote into the vacancies then what's eventually left are filled by recruitment of new officers to the service. There hasn't been a real increase in actual CO numbers for a few years, but numbers have stayed pretty consistent for some time now. Education requirements are not limited to a particular post secondary institute, however for full-time employment some related experience is required, but it's not limited to being a Park Ranger either. Once hired each new recruit attends a training academy for about three months before starting at their first posting.

PM me with questions , but it's a lot easier to talk to you on the phone. I did recruiting of new COs for several years so would be glad to help with any questions. Can also tell you who to call for any questions I can't answer. I'm retired now so don't spend a lot of time on forums, but will get back to you as soon as I find out you've sent a message.

Steve

abbyfireguy
06-28-2014, 09:10 PM
My son is starting his second year in the Wildlife program at BCIT. He is still trying to decide between Fisheries or CO work...

squamishhunter
06-30-2014, 09:00 AM
http://ca.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=8084a452dce49ff3&from=serp

cassiarkid
06-30-2014, 11:52 PM
Went to VIU and took the RMOT course, then found out what the starting wage was and the hours of free work and Politics involved thought maybe not. And when I did decided to write the CO entrance exam, at the very beginning it stated in bold letters that preference will be given to indigenous people and minorities. Tell me how that works?? Anyways I never did become one, however, there were a few out of my class that did, as well as becoming RCMP Members and Fishery Officers and some went into Parks. I would highly recommend the program. Not sure if I would recommend the job! HAHA!! Good Luck

junkyard_g
07-04-2014, 03:25 PM
I am also considering this as a career, was thinking of doing 2 years in fish,wildlife, and recreation at BCIT, then possibly 2 years in lethbridge, or a few years as a ranger or something. If anyone wants to PM me about what kind of hurdles or challenges I may face, would be appreciated! Cheers.

had the same plan 13 yrs ago. The fish and wildlife program at bcit was booked up so i snuck into the forestry diploma program as their 1st year was almost identical (was planning to transfer after 1st year to F and W). Realized an incredible brain drain was occuring in the forest industry due low school enrollment and baby boomers retiring, so i decided to stick with forestry. Never had a problem finding a job after that and lots of opportunities for advancement. Still go out to the bush most days, still get to scout and hunt at work.

Basically just saying give forestry or a higher paying natural resource sector (like mining/oil and gas/being a geotech or rpbio) a thought as well. alot of the same benefits.