PDA

View Full Version : Non-Resident Yukon Question

cole97
06-23-2014, 06:44 PM
is there any other way to hunt in the Yukon by not doing an outfitter because mostly all the hunts cost way to much for my budget and I was wondering if I get my HEED card can I do solo hunts and follow the regulations for hunting in the Yukon instead of paying 25,000 to 50,000 for guided hunts but still pay the non-resident prices for the tags if thats possible idk how it works, if someone can explain how to do hunts in yukon I be gladly appreciate it.

Cheers Cole

Tuffcity
06-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Short answer: no.

You would have to be eligible for resident status or have a resident "guide" you on their version of a permit to accompany. ie: a resident would have to apply for a permit to allow you to hunt with them, using non-resident tags.

RC

cole97
06-23-2014, 07:04 PM
I have a buddy that lives theres so can I hunt with him and still be able to shoot something but still be paying for non resident license and tags

eric
06-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Yes your buddy can take you out hunting, he will have to fill out the paper work well in advance.
Pretty much the same system we have here in BC.
Tell your buddy to get that paper work done, fall is not to far away....

Trekker
06-23-2014, 07:13 PM
You should read up on the yukon hunting regs for non residents. http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/hunting-fishing-trapping/informationnonresidents.php

cole97
06-23-2014, 07:16 PM
One more thing what happens if you own a piece of land or property with a cabin in the country do you still need someone to hunt with or an outfitter.......or are you still considered a BC resident even knowing that you own property up in the yukon?

325 wsm
06-23-2014, 07:29 PM
permit to accompany only no private land hunting up here. No PTA for sheep either. PTA are a limited supply and you might be to late for this year but check in to it.

cole97
06-23-2014, 07:36 PM
Ya im late for the special guide license but I can still go for bison, goat, sheep, and elk I think

BCrams
06-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Yukon is pretty much off limits for you unless you can get someone to apply for a permit to accompany. You will not get one for sheep.

I think you should focus on getting yourself into Moody like you were asking on a previous thread for sheep this year.

You can t be a resident of two provinces.

not sure why you re asking about Yukon elk when we have plenty in BC and a great GOS goat hunting

cole97
06-23-2014, 08:04 PM
im book up with northern rocky mountain lodge this year for moodie for a 10 trip this season for sheep and goat .....I know you guys said focus on one animal but this trip probably wont happen again in the next couple of seasons .....I was just wondering about non resident hunting around BC just dont know that much about it

NORTHERN HUNTER
06-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Only three ways to hunt in the Yukon:

1. Become a resident. Must reside in the Yukon for one full year prior to applying for any permits or buying any tags. Residing means just that, you have to live there for a year, owning property doesn't count unless you are actually occupying it.

2. Accompany a resident. Residents must apply on or after April 1st for a special guide licence (to guide a non resident). There are only a limited number of these available (100 or 150 I think), the Special Guide licences are usually sold out within 3-4 days. Residents can only get one of these every 3 years (to guide only one person). Non-residents can only hunt certain game in certain areas (Grizzly, Moose, Caribou, Black Bear) No sheep, goats, elk, deer or bison.

3. Hire a guide and pay the $.

http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/hunting-fishing-trapping/informationnonresidents.php

cole97
06-23-2014, 08:33 PM
Only three ways to hunt in the Yukon:

1. Become a resident. Must reside in the Yukon for one full year prior to applying for any permits or buying any tags. Residing means just that, you have to live there for a year, owning property doesn't count unless you are actually occupying it.

2. Accompany a resident. Residents must apply on or after April 1st for a special guide licence (to guide a non resident). There are only a limited number of these available (100 or 150 I think), the Special Guide licences are usually sold out within 3-4 days. Residents can only get one of these every 3 years (to guide only one person). Non-residents can only hunt certain game in certain areas (Grizzly, Moose, Caribou, Black Bear) No sheep, goats, elk, deer or bison.

3. Hire a guide and pay the $.

http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/hunting-fishing-trapping/informationnonresidents.php

Thanks for the advice

Iron-Head
06-23-2014, 09:04 PM
It's not advice, it's regulations. All of which are easily attainable by doing some simple research on the environment Yukon web page, try and at least have an idea of what your asking about..

albravo2
06-23-2014, 09:52 PM
It's not advice, it's regulations. All of which are easily attainable by doing some simple research on the environment Yukon web page, try and at least have an idea of what your asking about..

Wow. That was helpful.

I'm looking forward to the questions you might ask.