PDA

View Full Version : Shooting animals with ear tags and collars

fireguy
06-23-2014, 04:50 PM
I have always left those animals with tags and collars alone but it now seems that we are encouraged to shoot them, which without reading it in the regs I wouldn't have done. I guess that is why we read our regs.

Page 14 Ear Tags and Collars

Please DO NOt aVOiD hunting animals with ear tags or collars, unless specified under regional sections in the synopsis. this will ensure that biologists acquire accurate data on mortality rates. if you kill a marked animal, please contact your local Ministry office with the number on the ear tag or collar because the meat may not be safe to eat if immobilization drugs were used. ear tags and collars must be returned to the Ministry office.

Walking Buffalo
06-23-2014, 05:11 PM
For management purposes the killing of marked game makes good sense.

For eating purposes, as mentioned shooting marked game comes with the risk that the meat is unfit for human consumption. This is reason enough for me to Not shoot marked big game. While consumption of the meat is often said to be ok after 12 months, there is little research to verify this is true. I guess that no one wants to be the guinea pig.

I have killed two animals that were marked with the small button tags that fit inside the ear that were not visible before the shot. Both animals were tranquilized within the previous twelve months and were thus unfit to eat and went to the dump. NOT FUN!

Jelvis
06-23-2014, 05:28 PM
hey maybe when they die they lose the signal.

bandit
06-23-2014, 05:30 PM
If you like eating animals full of chemicals, save the time and money of hunting them and go to Safeways instead

Jelvis
06-23-2014, 06:11 PM
A+W don't put steroids or chemicals in their meat now according to the tv commercial.
Jel --

Doostien
06-23-2014, 06:28 PM
A+W don't put steroids or chemicals in their meat now according to the tv commercial.
Jel --

They still feedlot them, meaning they still pump them full of antibiotics. Which to me is way worse than the steroids. Plus, apparantly the bun has more steroids in it than the meat.

http://www.realagriculture.com/2013/10/im-done-with-fearing-food-and-done-with-aw-andrew-campbell/

They're also importing beef from South East Asia and the states. I'd rather buy Canadian beef than steroid free beef.

landphil
06-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Wow! That was impressive. After five comments, the thread is completely off the rails. Somebody must work for CN here. Speaking of trains... :mrgreen:

I wouldn't knowingly shoot a collared or tagged animal - for the risk of having to cut my tag on an animal unfit for consumption. That would just be pointless.

BuckEye
06-23-2014, 07:01 PM
What if it was a wolf Landphil. ?

landphil
06-23-2014, 07:18 PM
What if it was a wolf Landphil. ?

Then no tag to cut, wouldn't eat one without a collar either, so BOOM is my final reply! I was thinking meat when I posted that, if it as a species I wasn't planning on eating, then it wouldn't deter me.

Jelvis
06-23-2014, 07:23 PM
I quit eating beef hamburger of any kind and won't eat in restaurants.
My lady and I make our own meals at home everyday.
I don't trust people in a food court to keep things clean. And way to expensive.
I'm paranoid of becoming sick from others touching the food with filthy hands and fingers.

Fred1
06-23-2014, 07:34 PM
Do hippies count as an animal wearing an ear tag and collar? Most are pretty dirty so I wouldn't eat one...

IronNoggin
06-24-2014, 12:21 PM
For eating purposes, as mentioned shooting marked game comes with the risk that the meat is unfit for human consumption. This is reason enough for me to Not shoot marked big game. While consumption of the meat is often said to be ok after 12 months, there is little research to verify this is true. I guess that no one wants to be the guinea pig.

That would depend ENTIRELY upon which drug was employed to tranquilize the critter.

For instance with bears, Drug of choice has been Telazol (a mixture of tiletamine hydrochloride and zolazepam hydrochloride) for some considerable time now. It was the replacement back when I started (National Parks) for PCP (aka Angel Dust) and much more stable and less dosage-critical than PCP (to say nothing of the flashbacks which were likely partially responsible for more than a handful of grizzly related attacks following it's use).

Recently, Health Canada changed their recommendation for consuming treated bears from 1 year to 45 days. "Health Canada decided on a 45-day wait because the research is very preliminary, he said."
http://polarbearscience.com/2014/02/26/tranquilizing-polar-bears-and-meat-tainted-with-drugs/

Scientific Studies note: "The concentrations of both drugs and their metabolites declined rapidly to trace levels by 24 h post-dosing". Translation is you are very unlikely to suffer any ill effects even were you to eat said bear but 24 hours later.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11085426

One would have to check with the Ministry to determine which drugs were being employed for which species in the regions you hunt, followed by an investigation into just how long it will linger...

In the case of bears though, Shoot & Sausage! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

Jelvis
06-24-2014, 06:15 PM
If you accidently shoot a buck with a collar or a doe, without realizing it had a collar and don't want to eat it, when you give the collar to a C.O, the CO will give you another valid tag if the meats no good because of drugs in the deer from being tranquilized.
He or she will write you out a valid tag and thank you for bringing the collar in.
Jel .. Same with a wormy moose .. the C.O. knows Bo. We got good people workin

Drillbit
06-24-2014, 06:20 PM
Sounds like they're cutting the funding for the studies and want the tags/collars back to me.

khoffnbud
06-24-2014, 06:22 PM
I shot a collared wolf in 3-44 up Adolph before it was closed, that was 6 yrs ago and the cos were quite happy I returned the collar

Jelvis
06-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Never seen a collar or tag on any deer I got and I got lots of mule deer over five decades.
-- seen some with so many ticks when we hung the deer the ticks were hitting the wood floor like rain, tick tick tick tick all over, the deer was a skinny 4 point, I called him over with a deer call, doe/fawn bleat. One quick safety off, up aim Pow! He disappeared. But I found em dead. Meat looked good still.
Jelly ( My time has come sent shivers up my spine) -- Mamma I don't want to die sometime I wished I'd never bin born at all. I see a little silhouette of a moose yah!
Let it go.

Ferenc
06-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Exception to what the first part of the regs say... On pg 84 hydro is asking not to shoot collared elk moose in the Jack Fish road area for the next two years....

clte
07-01-2014, 12:04 AM
I quit eating beef hamburger of any kind and won't eat in restaurants.
My lady and I make our own meals at home everyday.
I don't trust people in a food court to keep things clean. And way to expensive.
I'm paranoid of becoming sick from others touching the food with filthy hands and fingers.

This may sound weird but I feel the opposite. I feel that the more 'germs' I am exposed to the more my body will build immunity against it, to a degree. I have been avoiding restaurants recently but only because it's hard to control portion sizes and I'm picky with how much my weight fluctuates since I quit smoking in January and my weight went up by 25 lbs. Lots of rambling... I just wouldn't worry about what's on some kid's fingers.