PDA

View Full Version : Weather expectations for dall

Jerlynn
06-23-2014, 09:42 AM
So it's getting close to the opener for dalls and I'll be headed up there for the first time this August. I've done my research, got my plans on where to go / what to do and I realize that I'm missing one thing. What are the weather expections for the first week of August in the Tat? Trying to decide what to bring for layers as I'm always the coldest one in the group and being too cold kinda sucks. Anyone who's been know what kind of overnight lows you might expect? It's probably similar to August stones but I have no experience with mountain hunting in August as we have always gone for the end of september. Thanks in advance for any weather / layering advice.

leadpillproductions
06-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Lots of bugs , hot days same a stone hunting

Stone Sheep Steve
06-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Could be hot but could have snow. Expect everything in the mountains.

SSS

jml11
06-23-2014, 12:38 PM
A few years ago I hunted the Tat the first week of August and it was HOT! Measured the temperature on top of the mountain when we downed a ram on August 2nd and it was +26! The bugs were pretty brutal down low, mostly gnats. We also had some very windy and some rainy days but managed to avoid snow. We were prepared for snow if it had happened though. There was still some snow patches on the north side of some of the mountains, made finding water up high easy!

Pre '64
06-23-2014, 07:33 PM
I hunted Dalls in the NWT last Aug 15-25. Weather was fairly warm, would work up a bit of a sweat climbing, below freezing at night, got rain on and off, not really cold, snowed all one day towards the end of the hunt, but was still above freezing during the day. You have to put a lot of thought into each piece of lightweight clothing you are taking so you don't have too much to carry but enough if it gets really cold. If you want a gear list I can give it to you but there is lots of info on this site.

325 wsm
06-23-2014, 07:34 PM
lots of snow left in the mountains for this time of year. Tat is close to the ocean and sometimes the weather can be very wet and windy. weather can sock in for several days. take a good tent.

Jerlynn
06-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Awesome on the quick replies. I have some good quality Kuiu gear from the late season hunts but obviously I'll still need to take enough for freezing / snow conditions. Thanks again.